Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood the Stone v Ronnie Wood the Face
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 23, 2012 12:30

I decided to start this thread after seeing those fantastic video clips that our kind LIEN posted in the "Ronnie Wood live in Atlantic City April 21" thread ........... thanks for those.

[www.iorr.org]

What a gig that must have been, boy would I love to have been there. Anyway, having seen a good number of Stones shows over the years, sadly never the "original" Faces - but instead the line-up that came into being in the last couple of years with Glenn Matlock and Mick Hucknall, and loving their material to death, here's the question:

Ronnie the Stone ... Ronnie the Face ? I invite comments from people. Personally, I just love the man, I think the rock n' roll world is currently a better place with a revitalised cleaner Ronnie Wood in it, long may IT continue and long may HE continue.

Go Ronnie go .............. !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: Ronnie Wood the Stone v Ronnie Wood the Face
Date: April 23, 2012 12:38

Ronnie "the sober" is great in whatever group he plays in, imo.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: April 23, 2012 12:57

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie "the sober" is great in whatever group he plays in, imo.

Yes.

As much as I live the music of the Stones I would drink a lot, too if I had to deal with Mick and Keith's issues inside the Stones bubble.

Ronnie was awesome on the Licks tour when he was sober.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2012 13:16

I am afraid that Ronnie is in such a great form at the moment, and Keith in such a bad form at the moment that that creates almost a dilemma for the guitar axis of the Stones. The gun-holder/side-kick is simply so much better than the master. Taking the egos and all that bullshit involved in that section, how could that work in practise?eye popping smiley

In a way the situation feels a bit sad at the moment; Ronnie's current great shape is not untilized enough. Maybe Ronnie should abandon altogether the whole 'Ronnie Wood the Stone' (Keith's little brother), and continue as a Ronnie Wood The Face or Ronnie Wood a solo artist... something he was in 1974 before made the 'deal'...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 13:18 by Doxa.

Date: April 23, 2012 13:21

Ronnie needs to play for himself. With the excellent radio / tv show, his love is there to see. If he was officially given 6 months off, im sure we would see more friends and maybe Faces shows. Its what he needs, therapy, they owe him that surely ?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2012 13:28

Hi, Ronnie... a tip..

(even though Mick Taylor miscalculated the situation back in 1974...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 13:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 23, 2012 13:52

Ronnie - the Stone - is unfortunately a story of decline; LA 75 shows the great abilities he had, his work in the Faces group, too. But '78 onwards there is a continous decline, especially since he is a official member of the group, and culminating in his partly desastrous performances during the ABB tour (hear especially the awkward "solos" on SMU, TD, Sway or YCAGWYW). I think that he is somewhat under the pressure of the two egos of the band. The second reason might be his booze and drug abuse - strenghtened by Keith and vice versa. If he stays sober maybe he could recover and show his musicality again. I hope so, at least.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 23, 2012 14:08

I don't care. I love what I see in those clips from Atlantic City. It's good to have those.
I am not interested in what I have not.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 23, 2012 14:56

RobertJohnson
Ronnie - the Stone - is unfortunately a story of decline; LA 75 shows the great abilities he had, his work in the Faces group, too. But '78 onwards there is a continous decline, especially since he is a official member of the group, and culminating in his partly desastrous performances during the ABB tour (hear especially the awkward "solos" on SMU, TD, Sway or YCAGWYW). I think that he is somewhat under the pressure of the two egos of the band. The second reason might be his booze and drug abuse - strenghtened by Keith and vice versa. If he stays sober maybe he could recover and show his musicality again. I hope so, at least.

That's wrong, imo. You could get Wood at his worst on the Licks tour, WHEN he was drunk. Sober he still had the chops.

However, he was in top form during the Euro-leg of the ABB-tour + he's in top form right now.

A roller coaster, maybe, but not a "continous decline".

Date: April 23, 2012 15:09

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

That's wrong, imo. You could get Wood at his worst on the Licks tour, WHEN he was drunk. Sober he still had the chops.

However, he was in top form during the Euro-leg of the ABB-tour + he's in top form right now.

Okay, he was better on the European leg than before countervailing the "post-falling-tree-Keith" sometimes, but this has nothing on his performances in 75/76 or as a "Face". But I have to see the performance right now in Atlantic City. Would be pleased to see and hear him on top.

Date: April 23, 2012 15:13

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Okay, he was better on the European leg than before countervailing the "post-falling-tree-Keith" sometimes, but this has nothing on his performances in 75/76 or as a "Face". But I have to see the performance right now in Atlantic City. Would be pleased to see and hear him on top.

You probably have heard I Feel Like Playing as well?

Date: April 23, 2012 15:17

Not yet completely, some excerpts on Ronnies Radio show, it's a cliffhanger for my next Amazon order ...

Date: April 23, 2012 15:22

RobertJohnson
Not yet completely, some excerpts on Ronnies Radio show, it's a cliffhanger for my next Amazon order ...

Top form here, too:

Date: April 23, 2012 15:32

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Top form here, too:

Thanks, hear it in the evening, I am busy in the moment, best wishes, RJ.

Date: April 23, 2012 15:37

In my humble opinion Ron Wood was the happiest man in the world from 1974 until....maybe early 80's. Since then I am sure he got more and more bored every time. And of course he's been fed up since Steel Wheels onwards.

His problems:

1. Where to go? Mick Taylor taught him what's next after leaving the band. Besides Faces were history. Very cold weather outside the band.

2. He was broke (specially after his naive engagement in business like opening that club). If he wanted to keep his status he needed to stay in the group.

3. My humble guess is that the extension of his addiction problems (at least parcially) stem from these facts. He is an extraordinaire artist, guitar player, painter...(ok he is neither Hendrix nor Picasso but he is a true sensitive artist). And being ill treated in the band, with little room for his potential contributions and just year by year, day in day out, playing the same set lists of songs not written by him...it may have been really hard, as playing inside a jukebox.

I am sure his decline is related to the gap between his expectations about he band and the Glimmer Twins expectations about him. It seems easy to say...why did not he leave?....would you have left?

Date: April 23, 2012 17:45

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Top form here, too:

In fact, great tune and quite good solo. My statement above dealt with the Stones situation rather. It is not easy to understand that a very good guitarist like Ronnie in 75/76 (rhythm and solo) and a ingenious bass player (Fingerprint File) doesn't get more profile and influence in the band for a long time. In contrary MT gave strong distinction to the band during all his years from 69 to 74. LA Friday shows that it is Ronnie's influence that lifts LA on the same quality level as Brussels, in another way of course. His solos in Wild Horses are unmatched (alone Knebworth is a way better), his licks in You Gotta Move shortly before the piano part shows his great musical sensitivity etc., etc.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 23, 2012 17:55

I agree with Doxa.
i have mentioned a little bit in another post.
He should get out off the Stones , and do his own solo stuff, or with the Faces.
he is great at the moment, although i have loved him since 1974.

Seems he is more on top of it, without Mick and Keef.
Come on Ronnie, give us more sparks. Forgetall the phonecalls from Jagger and lets Rock.
Jeroen

Date: April 23, 2012 18:04

Didderent angle, fast and furious SWM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home