Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Child of the moon
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:23

This is my 7 year old daughter's latest favourite song.
I am lost as to why they have never played this track live (or at least that I'm aware of).

I think it's less obscure than the recently played "Silver train" and far catchier on first listen to any crowd for the most part. So simple they could play it if asleep but soooo beautiful.

Be more copies out in the world of it than "Sway" so why not play it at least once? Easy on Mick re vox.

Oh well one can dream.

Re: Child of the moon
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:24

Amazing track.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:43

Very cool track. Love it every time I play it.
Hear something new every time!
Your daughter has great tastes!

Date: March 29, 2014 03:04

Another classic! It's in my top 25! Stones top 25, that is!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 29, 2014 03:33

Along with Dandelion, it has that one-of-a-kind quality about it, as the Stones never seem to have passed this way again--that is, down the path of whimsical, hippy-dippy flowerdelics.

Child of the Moon received a full-page write-up of appreciation in the UK music mag MOJO just last month.

MOJO article at: [www.mojo4music.com]

Date: March 29, 2014 04:08

I think this song would have fit better on Satanic.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 29, 2014 04:21

Lovely tune.

The video is actually quite artistic.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 29, 2014 04:24

Agreed with the assessment with Dandelion. Its kind of like the perfect 60s sound, like they grabbed all the best elements of stuff from that decade.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 29, 2014 05:44

What does the "RMK" bit mean on the title?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2014 07:22

One of the greatest pop Stones tracks. Its inclusion on TSMR would have changed the entire album.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: March 29, 2014 09:05

Did they have it in the Satanics sessions did they? If they added this, WLY and Dandelion and dropped the Sing togethers the album would be a five star job for me.

And thank you Hot Stuff she does have great taste imo smoking smiley

Can't believe out of a billion hours of gear on dvd I have of them that I've never seen this video. I didn't even know they did one!

Even better about the film clip is that I got to hear the song again hot smiley

Date: March 29, 2014 09:37

Is it a different mix? or did the uploader do something? The intro of the drone guitar is abrupt.
I LOVE the footage of Jagger @ 0:51 where he is moving to internal rhythm.

PS I am talking about the video here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-29 09:37 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 29, 2014 10:54

ThickerThanThieves

Impossible as Satanic was released before COTM was recorded.

Date: March 29, 2014 10:55

71Tele
One of the greatest pop Stones tracks. Its inclusion on TSMR would have changed the entire album.

The inclusion of Gimme Shelter would have changed the entire Beggars Banquet album.

Date: March 29, 2014 10:56

OzHeavyThrobber
Did they have it in the Satanics sessions did they?

No.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 29, 2014 11:23

OzHeavyThrobber
Did they have it in the Satanics sessions did they? If they added this, WLY and Dandelion and dropped the Sing togethers the album would be a five star job for me.

I don't think the song was created by then (not any facts though), but I think you are right that the albvum had been better if those songs would have been incuded, and those 'sing togethers' thrown out, but then again, the album would not have been so damn extreme and challenging in its psychedelic vibe as it is now. It had been more 'more' normal pop rock album. Now the album really is an uncompromised statement of the psychedelia and experementalism, much more than, say, SGT. PEPPER, and I think that is one of its merits, and people - many who are not so fond of typical Stones sound - have started to appreciate it more and more. That's been my observation lately.

A kind of similar argument could be said of BEGGARS BANQUET and LET IT BLEED being better albums if "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk Women" would have been included - even though hard to think what song in BEGGARS BANQUET should go to make room...

By the way, nice to see you Kyle being so active here nowadays!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-29 11:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 29, 2014 13:26

stonehearted
Along with Dandelion, it has that one-of-a-kind quality about it, as the Stones never seem to have passed this way again--that is, down the path of whimsical, hippy-dippy flowerdelics.

Child of the Moon received a full-page write-up of appreciation in the UK music mag MOJO just last month.

MOJO article at: [www.mojo4music.com]

Love the song, along with all the Stones' foray into psychedelica.

The film really is amazing, should be included in a time capsule from the 1960's. Even back then, Keith was falling out trees!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 29, 2014 15:55

Love this song, I've been plugging for it to be included in the setlist for a while.........
I remember going to this pub years ago ('76) where this, Nights in white satin and Whiter shade of pale were forever on the juke box......the Landlord used to allow the premises (so to speak)...............Stoned and Rainy day woman used to get a fair hearing too........

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 29, 2014 16:59

I do enjoy to get this vinyl single 7" out of the archive and listen to the b-side of Jumpin' Jack Flash: "Child Of The Moon" outstanding track since 1968, it shines by itself just listen and look at the beautiful David Bailey's photographs front/cover.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 29, 2014 17:47

runaway
I do enjoy to get this vinyl single 7" out of the archive and listen to the b-side of Jumpin' Jack Flash: "Child Of The Moon" outstanding track since 1968, it shines by itself just listen and look at the beautiful David Bailey's photographs front/cover.

This has to be one of my favourite, if not my favourite 45 covers, front and back.

Absolutely classic.

Date: March 29, 2014 17:58

treaclefingers
runaway

This has to be one of my favourite, if not my favourite 45 covers, front and back.

Absolutely classic.

Tis a perfect single. thumbs up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 29, 2014 18:02

treaclefingers
runaway

Absolutely classic.

Yup, front and back thumbs up

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 29, 2014 19:58

There was another thread about this song/video a while back. Discussed who the woman is in the video, what is Mick saying at the beginning of the song and what does RMK stand for in the song title. Not sure if there's ever been any final conclusion as to what it means, some say remake and some say it's Robin Klein's initials.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 29, 2014 20:56

His Majesty
ThickerThanThieves

Impossible as Satanic was released before COTM was recorded.

It has that Beggars Banguet production vibe all over it.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: March 29, 2014 21:52

Top 3 stones Stones song for me! Just pure brilliance and beauty .... And the promo Clip captures the vibes in an amazing way!

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 29, 2014 22:04

A great track, i firmly believe that The Stones of this vintage were hugely influential on the British indie scene of the late 80s\early 90s. That scene was what first alerted my young ears at the time to The Stones and in particular tracks such as Child Of The Moon, We Love You, Dandelion, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years, hell even In Another Land is superb!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2014 22:47

I emailed Michael Lindsay-Hogg about the promo film and this is what he told me:

"We shot it on a Sunday, the day after we did their first video, 'JJ Flash'. The actress who plays the young woman, i e not child or old, is (now Dame) Eileen Atkins, who has had a long and rewarded career in English movies, TV, theatre (hence Dame). Ian Stewart drove me and Charlie Watts back to London from the location in his van. Charlie said, if he had his total druthers, he'd play drums in a jazz combo, using those little metal brushes, his favorite implements. How's that ?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 12:15 by 71Tele.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 29, 2014 23:20

Very Cool song that came out in an interesting point in the bands evolution. They were in the middle of becoming more hard rocking but still a bit phychacellic.

Posted by: moonlightmile85 ()
Date: March 30, 2014 06:51

I hadn't seen that MV before...thanks for sharing. Keith needs to stay out of trees winking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:31

[www.iorr.org]

Now this is linked from that and vice versa.

And here's the Eileen Atkins thread
[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 11:54 by Green Lady.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home