Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gram Parsons BBC Documentary - Fallen Angel
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 9, 2010 18:37

I always knew that Gram Parsons had an influence on Keith and the band from 1968 to 1972, but I never really understood who he was, where he came from, how he got access, etc... until I watched an outstanding documentary co-produced by the BBC. It covers his life from start to finish.

Turns out he was a privileged trust fund kid who had a lot of money before getting into music. His family made their money in Florida's orange groves. I am not disparaging him, but the documentary makes clear his money gave him a lot of access that others might not have had based on talent alone.

Great interviews from Keith and a fair amount of time spent on Gram and his relationship with The Stones (Altamont, Nelcote, etc..).

Sorry if this is old news...but I'm glad I finally spent a few hours getting myself up to speed on thie important character in Stones history.

Re: Gram Parsons BBC Documentary - Fallen Angel
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:23

important to consider Gram as an individual, he did hang with Keith, but the work he did shows his strength as a songwriter and singer. He was apparently very unreliable as a band member and performer, though. And, his collaboration with Emmylou Harris began a great career for her.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 4, 2020 02:57

Great talent. Country Rock pioneer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 03:00 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 4, 2020 03:50

Will this be showing again? On BBC America?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 4, 2020 14:39

It seems to be available on Amazon prime; usually one has to pay an extra rental fee($4). I will check it out as I am interested in watching it. I always listen to Grams' records via streaming. My favorite is GP.
I think that maybe around the time the docu was made, 2004, there was a CD of covers of Grams' songs done by famous musicians like Emmylou Harris, E. Costello etc.. very good record.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 4, 2020 15:14

rollmops
It seems to be available on Amazon prime; usually one has to pay an extra rental fee($4). I will check it out as I am interested in watching it. I always listen to Grams' records via streaming. My favorite is GP.
I think that maybe around the time the docu was made, 2004, there was a CD of covers of Grams' songs done by famous musicians like Emmylou Harris, E. Costello etc.. very good record.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Thanks. I live in southern Georgia, about an hour north of Waycross, Gram's hometown. They have a small music festival in his honor each year (except this one - damn Covid!).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 4, 2020 18:07

After checking out Amazon Prime, the 2004 BBC documentary does not appear. There is a movie with Johnny Knoxville about the stealing of the Gram's body that is available "Grand Theft Parsons". I may try that one. Does anybody know if it is
a good movie?
Rockandroll,
mops

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: August 4, 2020 19:34

rollmops
After checking out Amazon Prime, the 2004 BBC documentary does not appear. There is a movie with Johnny Knoxville about the stealing of the Gram's body that is available "Grand Theft Parsons". I may try that one. Does anybody know if it is
a good movie?
Rockandroll,
mops
It’s ok, but could’ve been better. Knoxville is not much of an actor.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 10:35

You’re not ‘hardcore’ until you’ve explored Keith and Gram’s relationship and of course ‘cosmic American music.’

He wrote some beautiful songs and sang them from an aching heart. I cried the first time I heard ‘Brass Buttons’ but that wasn’t just his plaintive voice that was the Jack Daniels at 40,000 feet. The cabin attendant really should’ve cut me off…but I digress.

I was scheduled to fly from Tokyo to Los Angeles in September 2001 as part of my pilgrimage to the Joshua Tree Inn where Gram OD’ed (I unsuccessfully tried to book the very room where he croaked but the manager assured me that Gram had stayed in all the rooms at least once) but was forced to cancel due to the F’in terrorist attacks. Sadly, I never found the time or inclination to rebook. Can’t say I listen to his music very often these days either but maybe this flick will rekindle my interest.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 6, 2020 14:21

$1000 Wedding had a similar effect on me...that Grievous Angel album is just breathtaking...beautiful songs sung from the heart.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 6, 2020 16:51

I read a biography of Gram some years ago. Yes, his family money gave him the ability to walk away from projects that no longer interested him, to the chagrin of his less wealthy collaborators.

Also, while he was hanging out at Nellecote, Keith became so alarmed by his drug intake that he took him aside and expressed his concern. As the biographer noted, if Keith Richards thinks you're overdoing it, you've got a problem.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 6, 2020 17:22

Acc. to Tarle Parsons was (unwillingly) directly responsible for the band to start a recording session at Nellcote :
Jagger saw the growing friendship between Keith and Gram as a potential threat to the future of the band so he quickly arranged for the Mobile to driven down to the Riviera.

Then he firmly forbade Parsons from going down to the basement studio.
After a while Gram got bored and split... Voila, bon voyage!

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 7, 2020 05:46

I am a huge Gram fan as was Tom Petty. Tom said Grievous Angel was one of his all time fav records.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 7, 2020 13:14

Hickory Wind and In My Hour of Darkness are brilliant, IMHO.

Such a shame he departed at such a young age. There must've been a lot more music left in him.

I would love to see Gram & Keith doing stuff today; old country standards, etc.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 7, 2020 13:23

Elmo Lewis
Will this be showing again? On BBC America?

Original post is 10 years old smoking smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 7, 2020 20:22

Flash in the pan. More money than talent. That was my impression after seeing him with FBB a couple of times and it is reinforced by the radio recording of them that I have recently listened to. Faux "country" music by a bunch of city boys.

jb

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 7, 2020 22:15

jbwelda
Flash in the pan. More money than talent. That was my impression after seeing him with FBB a couple of times and it is reinforced by the radio recording of them that I have recently listened to. Faux "country" music by a bunch of city boys.

jb

I agree I never did understand the admiration for him. Talented? Not really.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 8, 2020 03:43

I love country music -- Merle Haggard, Jerry Lee, Rodney Crowell, Emmy Lou, Gary Stewart, George Jones, and so on...and Gram's best work is right there. Sweetheart of the Rodeo, the Burritos, his solo LPs -- but that's a total of 5 albums and Burrito Deluxe is like he has already left. Mick famously admonishing him to go with Chris Hillman "to your own band" is good advice from a real professional but that a rich spoiled doper couldn't embrace. But songs like Hickory Wind, Ooh Las Vegas, Hot Burrito's 1 & 2, Sin City, Luxury Liner...good as it gets. If you like heartfelt intelligent country music. And there is a vast pool of great musicians who agree -- including Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-08 03:44 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 8, 2020 05:42

Aren't there 8 Gram Parsons albums?

Solo:
1. "G.P."
2. "Grievous Angel"

Byrds:
3. "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"

Fallen Angels:
4. "Live 1973"

Flying Burrito Brothers:
5. "Burrito Deluxe"
6. "Sleepless Nights"
7. "Gilded Palace of Sin"

International Submarine Band:
8. "Safe at Home"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-08 05:44 by Chacho.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 8, 2020 06:00

rollmops
a good movie?
Rockandroll,
mops

I thought 'Grand Theft Parsons' was pretty good - definitely worth watching if you're a GP fan.

If you can, try and find the DVD extras, which features Phil Kaufman (the guy who hijacked Grams' body) describing how most of the scenes in the film actually happened that way in real life - unbelievable as it sometimes seems.

Date: August 8, 2020 12:05

Chacho

Solo:
1. "G.P."
2. "Grievous Angel"

Byrds:

Fallen Angels:
4. "Live 1973"

Flying Burrito Brothers:
5. "Burrito Deluxe"
6. "Sleepless Nights"

8. "Safe at Home"

Yes, but Sleepless Nights was compiled after his death, wasn't it?

I have a different version, called 'Dim Lights Thick Smoke...". The Train Song (awesome track) is the opener.

Date: August 8, 2020 12:07

jbwelda

jb

Listen to Brass Buttons and Hot Burrito #1 and say the man lacked talent.

We all have different tastes, but... come on, man! smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2020 12:09

Hot Burrito #1 ... nails me ta the wall every damn time ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2020 12:18

Gene Clark & Carla Olson have
a fair shot at Hot Burrito #1 .....

Not quite Gram but it'll still bolt ya heart .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 8, 2020 15:16

DandelionPowderman
Chacho

Solo:
1. "G.P."
2. "Grievous Angel"

Byrds:

Fallen Angels:
4. "Live 1973"

Flying Burrito Brothers:
5. "Burrito Deluxe"
6. "Sleepless Nights"

8. "Safe at Home"

I have a different version, called 'Dim Lights Thick Smoke...". The Train Song (awesome track) is the opener.

I just looked it up. It said that the release date of "Sleepless Nights" was
April, 1976, and - "three of the songs he cut with Emmylou Harris for his final solo album 'Grievous Angel' in 1973, and nine of the others were recorded live in the studio with The Flying Burrito Brothers in 1970".

So, yes, "Sleepless Nights" was released after his death, but recorded before his death. At any rate, I really like the album.

Date: August 8, 2020 15:25

Chacho
DandelionPowderman
Chacho

Solo:
1. "G.P."
2. "Grievous Angel"

Byrds:

Fallen Angels:
4. "Live 1973"

Flying Burrito Brothers:
5. "Burrito Deluxe"
6. "Sleepless Nights"

8. "Safe at Home"

I just looked it up. It said that the release date of "Sleepless Nights" was
April, 1976, and - "three of the songs he cut with Emmylou Harris for his final solo album 'Grievous Angel' in 1973, and nine of the others were recorded live in the studio with The Flying Burrito Brothers in 1970".

So, yes, "Sleepless Nights" was released after his death, but recorded before his death. At any rate, I really like the album.

Compiled and released after his death. Very good album indeed thumbs up

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 8, 2020 19:59

His greatest "talent" was looking good for the cameras and being cute enough to attract all the girls. Two songs...my definition of flash in the pan.

But evidently it is just me, or me and one or two others. Personally I would rather go into a random Bakersfield juke joint and enjoy the local talent than listen to hollywood cowboys.

jb

Date: August 8, 2020 21:02

jbwelda
His greatest "talent" was looking good for the cameras and being cute enough to attract all the girls. Two songs...my definition of flash in the pan.

But evidently it is just me, or me and one or two others. Personally I would rather go into a random Bakersfield juke joint and enjoy the local talent than listen to hollywood cowboys.

jb

The point was that his music should NOT sound like traditional or standard country. And I didn't mean that he only had two great songs, those were just examples of awesome songwriting. Everything on Grievous Angel is fantastic, imo. Lots of great things on GP as well (She, The New Soft Shoe, A Song For You, Cry One More Time etc).

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 8, 2020 22:15

The Eagles should give his estate 10% of every dollar they ever earned. A true visionary and innovator. Unfortunately flew to close to the flame of the Stones, and being independently financially secure never had the drive to really push his own career. Probably spent his entire post Nelcote life waiting for Keith to call. Call never came. Sad.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 9, 2020 04:35

jbwelda

jb

Man, did Gram pull yer bird or something?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home