Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Laugh, I Nearly Died
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 10, 2019 08:06

GasLightStreet
Well, a track, in this case, is a song. The state of it isn't relevant.

Never argue with a fundamentalist.

Date: January 10, 2019 09:43

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
It's not the same song.

Of course it's not, but that's a bit like saying the reggae "Never Stop" is not the same as "Start Me Up"...
...by all accounts the similarity between "Cried Out Loud" and "LIND" is pretty obvious - the groove, the mood, the stops/breaks, the vocal phrasing - and Jagger's very last "darkness" line at the very end of the track gives it away that after this jam, the idea of LIND starts shaping in his head...

I think Nico's comment "embryonic version" is pretty dead-on.

No, it's not. And I think Already Over Me (the verses) is more similar, music-wise, to LIND.

What's interesting, though, is that Cried Out is arranged. Keith and Ronnie have chords, riffs and stops they have to relate to. They are well on their way in the process of mastering it, although it's not perfect yet.

On LIND we have two Mick guitars carrying the tune + some shapeless noodling from Keith (his mistakes are turned down in the bridge, but they are still very much audible).

The main reason I keep on saying that Cried Out is not an embryonic version of LIND is because of the music and how the songs are written. If one tends to listen more to the vocalist than the band, I can understand this stance. But if you're listening to everything, you'll find that Cried Out in fact is even more fleshed out than the finished take of LIND, music-wise. Add that the vocal melody is different and that the chords are totally different (descending versus ascending - making it impossible to sing similar verse lines).

But I'm with you on Mick bringing some of the feel of HIS performance on Cried Out to LIND.

Date: January 10, 2019 09:51

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
An embryo is seldom more refined than the final product.

Is it really even a track before it's mixed or just a formless jam? Maybe you've stumbled upon the debate over the new album, Bard. Life begins at final mix and not at the demo stage. We need to ratify this as law. Bjornulf, can we get an IORR mandate?

Don't under-estimate the importance of a random cut...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 10, 2019 10:38

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
It's not the same song.

Of course it's not, but that's a bit like saying the reggae "Never Stop" is not the same as "Start Me Up"...
...by all accounts the similarity between "Cried Out Loud" and "LIND" is pretty obvious - the groove, the mood, the stops/breaks, the vocal phrasing - and Jagger's very last "darkness" line at the very end of the track gives it away that after this jam, the idea of LIND starts shaping in his head...

I think Nico's comment "embryonic version" is pretty dead-on.

For what it's worth, I agree.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 11, 2019 15:34

DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
An embryo is seldom more refined than the final product.

Is it really even a track before it's mixed or just a formless jam? Maybe you've stumbled upon the debate over the new album, Bard. Life begins at final mix and not at the demo stage. We need to ratify this as law. Bjornulf, can we get an IORR mandate?

Don't under-estimate the importance of a random cut...

Oh, so you want the cut to be kosher. I can respect that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 13, 2019 20:08

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
Well, a track, in this case, is a song. The state of it isn't relevant.

Never argue with a fundamentalist.

but is does an album mean vinyl?

And do two vinyls make a double album...or do two vinyl make a double album?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 519
Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018 22:46
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home