Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: "Laugh, i nearly died": is it criminally underrated?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 6, 2020 15:12

marquess
In my opinion there is only one problem with ABB, being the sound quality.

That is very true.

The half speed remaster to vinyl from the Abbey Road box was a revelation...with far less compression and much more natural dynamics and feel.

Trouble is that the same Myles Showell master probably isn't available on any other format or download.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: October 6, 2020 16:20

Let me down slow, It won't last long, a maybe few others are still listenable but for this was just yet another album where Mick was convinced what he was hearing in the night clubs was what the people wanted from the Stones (hell, it worked for Miss You). He's been doing this since Voodoo and even before and it doesn't work for 60+yr old men. Keith knows better but without a participating Glimmer from Mick there is no true Glimmer Twin songs like a Hang Fire or Whip or Crazy mama. I mean 'Look what the cat dragged in' or 'suck on the jugular' are soooo bad

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: October 6, 2020 16:40

This song opens with a typical Mick Jagger solo song trade mark: the chords AM - F. Just like his solo song Angel of my heart.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 6, 2020 16:53

It's a good song but I think Mick over-eggs it, with a heavily mannered vocal like he did with Following the River. It's over polished too, like e.g.Already Over Me. It needs to be a bit scruffier i.e some ragged back up vox from Keith, to give it that Stones feel. If he'd stop making demos, give the band his ideas and let them work out an arrangement we'd get a better track IMHO.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 17:02

windmelody
"Laugh I nearly died" is a good song, but the band did not play it live. I never understood why ABB vanished from the set list during the ABB tour. The band did not have the courage to play three new songs, in the end even "Rough Justice" vanished. That is why I do not expect much from the famous "new album". Of course I would like to be proven wrong.

To correct you, the two opening shows gave us each 4 songs of ABB (RJ, BOMH, Infamy and ONNYA. I remember being "the only one" singing along with Rough Justice winking smiley. Maybe bv did sing it too ...
But Yes, LIND is heavily underrated. A great gospel! Also, the album deserves much more credit. It's not a "Mick album", the Glimmer Twins worked together in Mick's French castle.
smileys with beer

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:08

always felt laugh i nearly died sounds as if it should be a tattoo you b side, its a great song and like a lot of stones songs would have been a classic if it had come from a different time or made by a different group,

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2020 04:52

This, along with Rain Fall Down, are the only remnants of this album that are Stones-worthy imo.
Both decent/average tunes - nothing more and nothing less. Weird to think they are 15+ years old.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 7, 2020 05:23

Yeah, agree it's a very good song, quite unique for the Stones!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 09:46

No, actually it’s fantastically overrated among the small minority of fans who like ABB since LIND always seems to garner the most praise. I understand why people single this song out but to elaborate on that would be to insult them so I’ll hold my peace. Suffice it to say I haven’t listened to anything on ABB since its Creation.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home