Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Laugh, I Nearly Died
Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: January 7, 2019 19:40

There is existing a great tape of the pre-version of this song, called Cried Out. Great tune from the licks Sessions.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 7, 2019 19:45

Love those opening chords.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: January 7, 2019 20:07

I always thought the song Laugh is in great need for a sax solo (of the likes of Sonny Rollins)!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 7, 2019 21:29

Stonesfan2146
There is existing a great tape of the pre-version of this song, called Cried Out. Great tune from the licks Sessions.

Where can I find this? Can someone post it?

Drew

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 7, 2019 21:38

Try requesting here if the link is dead:

[iorr.org]

Date: January 7, 2019 21:39

Rocky Dijon
Try requesting here if the link is dead:

[iorr.org]

Thanks!

Drew

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2019 01:17

Rocky Dijon
Thanks, Skippy!

You're just sour because I suggested you and StonesTod were one and the same...or something.

I'm not skippy, if that happened to be directed at me...

I was going for a cheap laff, but am afraid the quality of my delivery was masked by the weak qualitative nature of sarcasm delivered via text...or something.

Date: January 8, 2019 01:48

My apologies, treaclestone. I thought you were the former Skipstone. Did you have a previous username on iorr?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2019 01:53

Rocky Dijon
My apologies, treaclestone. I thought you were the former Skipstone. Did you have a previous username on iorr?

With no new LP out the air gets kind of thin sometimes...

Date: January 8, 2019 03:29

Well that and one too many concussions and a subdural hematoma I've ignored. And me without a palm tree, too.

And hello, Gaslight, you'd think I would have remembered without you throwing hints in my general direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 03:30 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 8, 2019 14:34

Someone mentioned "Neocon" earlier. Thing about that one - it is actually one of the best songs on the album. With better lyrics it would be a standout IMO.

To me the biggest surprise of the album is "She Saw Me Coming" - it shows that no matter, Jagger will always surprise me. It has everything that one would assume Jagger does NOT like about a finished track. It is like Jagger is doing a Keith; the way Keith has loose lyrics, the placement etc on his solo albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 14:35 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2019 16:52

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

With no new LP out the air gets kind of thin sometimes...

yeah Rocky...I was going to introduce you to the former skippy, but here he is!

Date: January 8, 2019 17:24

Well, thanks to Rocky Dijon and GivenToFly15, I am now savoring - like a fine cigar - the early version of LIND, called "Cried Out" ... and it is marvelous. Anyone who digs LIND should give it a listen. Link is below.

GivenToFly15
Here you go:
[we.tl]

Drew

Date: January 8, 2019 17:57

drewmaster
Well, thanks to Rocky Dijon and GivenToFly15, I am now savoring - like a fine cigar - the early version of LIND, called "Cried Out" ... and it is marvelous. Anyone who digs LIND should give it a listen. Link is below.

GivenToFly15
Here you go:
[we.tl]

Drew

Drew, yes that is the track with prominent electric piano where Jagger sings well. But this more than anything drives home my point about LIND, and why it leaves me empty. Because if anything this jam sounds like "Hearts for Sale".
Jagger can do this type song in his sleep. So there is not much challenge as a listener for me.
Now to counter my very own argument, I have to say that often recycled Jagger is still pretty f*ckin good.
I was just having a similar converse at the bar the other night. We were talking about how in a way the latest Tom Waits and Lucinda Williams albums have not been all that spectacular. And that is through no fault of their own. They have hit such a hi plateau, that they sort of float up there now. While new albums are not a big departure from the one before, it is still at such a high level.

Date: January 8, 2019 18:18

Palace Revolution 2000
drewmaster

GivenToFly15
Here you go:
[we.tl]

Drew

Drew, yes that is the track with prominent electric piano where Jagger sings well. But this more than anything drives home my point about LIND, and why it leaves me empty. Because if anything this jam sounds like "Hearts for Sale".
Jagger can do this type song in his sleep. So there is not much challenge as a listener for me.
Now to counter my very own argument, I have to say that often recycled Jagger is still pretty f*ckin good.
I was just having a similar converse at the bar the other night. We were talking about how in a way the latest Tom Waits and Lucinda Williams albums have not been all that spectacular. And that is through no fault of their own. They have hit such a hi plateau, that they sort of float up there now. While new albums are not a big departure from the one before, it is still at such a high level.

Palace, a lot of food for thought in what you wrote. It raises questions such as, do we necessarily want all music to challenge us? Or does some music, as familiar as it may sound, deserve acclaim just because it so expertly crafted? I enjoy "Cried Out" because of how brilliantly it is crafted (i.e., written and performed), but whether it is "recycled" is a whole different question. To the earlier point someone made, that some critics in the 60s were saying that JJF recycled Satisfaction, I would take the view that there is, ultimately, nothing new under the sun.

Drew

Date: January 8, 2019 20:37

drewmaster
Palace Revolution 2000
drewmaster

GivenToFly15
Here you go:
[we.tl]

Drew

Palace, a lot of food for thought in what you wrote. It raises questions such as, do we necessarily want all music to challenge us? Or does some music, as familiar as it may sound, deserve acclaim just because it so expertly crafted? I enjoy "Cried Out" because of how brilliantly it is crafted (i.e., written and performed), but whether it is "recycled" is a whole different question. To the earlier point someone made, that some critics in the 60s were saying that JJF recycled Satisfaction, I would take the view that there is, ultimately, nothing new under the sun.

Drew
yes, there's only 12 notes, and one could make a case to take absolutely all the fun out of it, and say It is all the same thing over and over LOL. And I don't subscribe to that notion at all. We have the Blues, and R&B, and Country, and and it is all steeped in there. as it should be. But within this there are a million little deviations, and possibilities, and discoveries. And then there is just the spirit itself, that comes through no matter what. I mean, to me it is never about notes, or scales etc; just about what comes from the heart. James Brown used I think one note throughout his entire career, and saved one other for "the bridge".
It is this particular song and delivery by Jagger that I'm talking about though. And this is just my opinion but there is something lazy about it. in LIND the lyrics too.
and if you have time; do compare the outtake to 'Hearts for Sale".

Date: January 8, 2019 21:49

Palace Revolution 2000
drewmaster
Palace Revolution 2000
drewmaster

GivenToFly15
Here you go:
[we.tl]

Drew

Drew
yes, there's only 12 notes, and one could make a case to take absolutely all the fun out of it, and say It is all the same thing over and over LOL. And I don't subscribe to that notion at all. We have the Blues, and R&B, and Country, and and it is all steeped in there. as it should be. But within this there are a million little deviations, and possibilities, and discoveries. And then there is just the spirit itself, that comes through no matter what. I mean, to me it is never about notes, or scales etc; just about what comes from the heart. James Brown used I think one note throughout his entire career, and saved one other for "the bridge".
It is this particular song and delivery by Jagger that I'm talking about though. And this is just my opinion but there is something lazy about it. in LIND the lyrics too.
and if you have time; do compare the outtake to 'Hearts for Sale".

Well, I think you summed it up perfectly when you wrote that it's about what comes from the heart. To me, LIND and its early version truly sound heart-felt and convincing, and there is something about them that really captivates me. Whereas HFS comes across as a bit awkward, a bit sterile, and is just not very interesting to my ears. But at the same time I can hear a bit of HFS in the outtake, now that you mention it.

Drew

Date: January 9, 2019 15:36

It's not the same song.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 9, 2019 16:08

I think people are forgetting that Cried Out is just a rough sketch of a song, not complete at all. The lyrics just seem to be some basic ideas that Jaggs had and was playing around with.

It is very clear to me though, that a lot of the feel and motifs became regurgitated as LIND

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 9, 2019 16:17

peoplewitheyes
I think people are forgetting that Cried Out is just a rough sketch of a song, not complete at all. The lyrics just seem to be some basic ideas that Jaggs had and was playing around with.

It is very clear to me though, that a lot of the feel and motifs became regurgitated as LIND

No, dont think so. im sorry.
Jeroen

Date: January 9, 2019 16:20

It's not correct that Cried Out is a sketch that eventually became LIND.

In fact, Cried Out is more refined, sophisticated and well-built as a song than LIND, with a different chord sequence + motifs, riffs etc that are unique for Cried Out.

What's similar, though, is Mick's way of singing (only on parts of Cried Out, though). So we can say that some of the feel of Cried Out rubbed off on LIND. But that feel was present in songs like Hearts For Sale and Mick's Brand New Set Of Rules as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 16:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 9, 2019 16:32

I know we've had this schism before, when the leaked tracks came out.

To me, and several others here, the similarities are obvious from even a first listen.

But there's no need to persuade anyone else!

Just dig em both

Date: January 9, 2019 16:36

I'm so happy to have Dandy back that I won't even bother to argue with him!

Date: January 9, 2019 16:37

A litmus test would be to try to sing LIND when Cried Out is playing. Then you'll find that the descending chords are totally different and that a different bridge appears smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 16:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 9, 2019 16:44

DandelionPowderman
It's not the same song.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

020513A 13th May - 7th June: THE ROLLING STONES. Suresnes (near Paris),
France, Studio Guillaume Tell. Producers: The Glimmer Twins & Don Was.
Sound engineer: Ed Cherney. Recording sessions for the upcoming album ’40
Licks‘. Additional musicians: Chuck Leavell (keyb), Darryl Jones (bass), Blondie
Chaplin (perc). Incl.
- Cried Out (MJ/KR) -embryonic version of Laugh, I Nearly Died
- Don’t Stop I (MJ/KR) -early mix
- Don’t Stop II (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Don’t Stop III (MJ/KR) -edit
- Don’t Stop IV (MJ/KR) -New Rock Mix
- Don’t Stop V (MJ/KR) -call out hook
- Dreams (MJ/KR)
- Extreme Western Grip (MJ/KR/RW/CW) -Four Flicks-version
- Hurricane (MJ/KR)
- Just Because I (MJ/KR) -early version of KR's Trouble
- Just Because II (MJ/KR) -second early version, under title Because?
- Keys To Your Love I (MJ/KR) -early mix
- Keys To Your Love II (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Losing My Touch (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Love Is A Test (MJ/KR)
- Love Is For Me (Art Neville/George Porter Jr./Leo Nocentelli/Ziggy Modeliste )
-unconfirmed
- Only Found Out Yesterday (KR) -unverified
- Smooth 180 (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
- Stealing My Heart (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Still In Love VI (MJ/KR) -unverified recut
- U Don't Wanna (MJ/KR)
- Well Well (MJ/KR/RW/CW) -Four Flicks-version
- When I Call Your Name (MJ/KR?)
+ unknown blues ( ) -rehearsal ("You Better Leave That Man Alone")
+ some more (probably all unfinished; 28 songs/ideas in all)

Drew

Date: January 9, 2019 16:49

drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
It's not the same song.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

020513A 13th May - 7th June: THE ROLLING STONES. Suresnes (near Paris),
France, Studio Guillaume Tell. Producers: The Glimmer Twins & Don Was.
Sound engineer: Ed Cherney. Recording sessions for the upcoming album ’40
Licks‘. Additional musicians: Chuck Leavell (keyb), Darryl Jones (bass), Blondie
Chaplin (perc). Incl.
- Cried Out (MJ/KR) -embryonic version of Laugh, I Nearly Died
- Don’t Stop I (MJ/KR) -early mix
- Don’t Stop II (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Don’t Stop III (MJ/KR) -edit
- Don’t Stop IV (MJ/KR) -New Rock Mix
- Don’t Stop V (MJ/KR) -call out hook
- Dreams (MJ/KR)
- Extreme Western Grip (MJ/KR/RW/CW) -Four Flicks-version
- Hurricane (MJ/KR)
- Just Because I (MJ/KR) -early version of KR's Trouble
- Just Because II (MJ/KR) -second early version, under title Because?
- Keys To Your Love I (MJ/KR) -early mix
- Keys To Your Love II (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Losing My Touch (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Love Is A Test (MJ/KR)
- Love Is For Me (Art Neville/George Porter Jr./Leo Nocentelli/Ziggy Modeliste )
-unconfirmed
- Only Found Out Yesterday (KR) -unverified
- Smooth 180 (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
- Stealing My Heart (MJ/KR) -Forty Licks-version
- Still In Love VI (MJ/KR) -unverified recut
- U Don't Wanna (MJ/KR)
- Well Well (MJ/KR/RW/CW) -Four Flicks-version
- When I Call Your Name (MJ/KR?)
+ unknown blues ( ) -rehearsal ("You Better Leave That Man Alone")
+ some more (probably all unfinished; 28 songs/ideas in all)

Drew

There is nothing music- or songwriting-wise that ties those songs together. Maybe Nico can clarify this?

An embryo is seldom more refined than the final product. And I'm pretty sure they would have included some of the riffs from Cried Out had it been the same song, as those riffs were pretty cool.

Date: January 9, 2019 19:39

DandelionPowderman
An embryo is seldom more refined than the final product.

Is it really even a track before it's mixed or just a formless jam? Maybe you've stumbled upon the debate over the new album, Bard. Life begins at final mix and not at the demo stage. We need to ratify this as law. Bjornulf, can we get an IORR mandate?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 10, 2019 03:44

DandelionPowderman
It's not the same song.

Of course it's not, but that's a bit like saying the reggae "Never Stop" is not the same as "Start Me Up"...
...by all accounts the similarity between "Cried Out Loud" and "LIND" is pretty obvious - the groove, the mood, the stops/breaks, the vocal phrasing - and Jagger's very last "darkness" line at the very end of the track gives it away that after this jam, the idea of LIND starts shaping in his head...

I think Nico's comment "embryonic version" is pretty dead-on.

Date: January 10, 2019 04:10

Rocky Dijon
Well that and one too many concussions and a subdural hematoma I've ignored. And me without a palm tree, too.

And hello, Gaslight, you'd think I would have remembered without you throwing hints in my general direction.

That's what you get for falling out of a non-palm tree.

Date: January 10, 2019 04:16

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
An embryo is seldom more refined than the final product.

Is it really even a track before it's mixed or just a formless jam? Maybe you've stumbled upon the debate over the new album, Bard. Life begins at final mix and not at the demo stage. We need to ratify this as law. Bjornulf, can we get an IORR mandate?

Well, a track, in this case, is a song. The state of it isn't relevant. "They laid down several tracks" is they laid down several songs. They recorded a ton of tracks for SG... of which only a few were used for SG, a couple leftovers from that for ER along with a few of the 40 some or whatever they tracked for ER, and then, of course, TY is all leftover tracks from 1972-1979.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home