Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Laugh, I Nearly Died
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: November 14, 2012 18:55

Truly, one of the most deeply satisfying tunes in a long time for me. One where I could let go and enjoy the journey it takes me on. Know what I mean where there's no need to justify or rationalize or that horrible feeling of trying to hype it in your own mind? Love the Arabian kind of feel (that's always been a good groove for me ala, Can You Hear the Music, Alladin's Story, etc.) 5 stars on an album that had more than a couple of same ol' same ol' offerings.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 14, 2012 18:57

unlistenable

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: November 14, 2012 19:30

this thread kinda takes me back to when B2B came out....We thought it was so cool to hear a new, really good STONES album.

Good tune.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 14, 2012 20:01

In my opinion, it's the best track on the album: certainly a favourite of mine. I listen to it as often as I listen to their 60s and 70s output, and I would have loved to have seen the tune released as a single. It's a shame it wasn't included on the "Grrr!" release for casual buyers of the set to hear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-14 20:02 by sf37.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 14, 2012 20:37

toomuchforme
my favorite one on BB. And maybe the only one eye rolling smiley
Great guitar style (not a necessity to play thousands a minute to get a good result/feeling). I thought it was Ronnie but ... yes it was not drinking around Pocé (vins de Loire..)
It reminds me the Down in hole or Heaven style I love

My thoughts exactly, the guitars have a "Tattoo You" quality to them, Heaven, Tops, can't really place the exact song, let's give it another listen.

BTW, Gazza mentioned several times on RO that Mick had said in an interview that this song had been worked on for Alfie.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 31, 2018 02:59

agree

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 31, 2018 03:55

Highlight on ABB

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2018 04:19

Good song - sad they never played it live.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 31, 2018 08:07

One of the highlights on ABB. Great tune. Best ballad since Out Of Tears.

Date: December 31, 2018 08:44

I really don't like Micks vocals in this song. It's the only thing that holds it back for me. His voice sounds so off and lacks the classic Jagger edge that it really should have imo.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 31, 2018 09:45

Love this song.......

Joins a long list of great Stones tunes they never did live.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 31, 2018 09:59

Okay! I thought I was "the only one" who thought that this song was a "top of the hill" song. Great soul-ballad, very deep.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 31, 2018 11:05

really, really dont like it. always skip this song.
Jeroen

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 31, 2018 14:29

corriecas
Jeroen

Why should they ever release a new album if people don´t
like such a song? Why should they ever bother to write melodies
or guitar lines if people don´t get even this one?

IMHO, it´s one of their best since 1980, as someone said.

Date: December 31, 2018 14:38

TooTough
corriecas
Jeroen

Why should they ever release a new album if people don´t
like such a song? Why should they ever bother to write melodies
or guitar lines if people don´t get even this one?

IMHO, it´s one of their best since 1980, as someone said.

Its too clean for me. No dirty swagger..too much a Jagger solo outtake
Jeroen

Date: December 31, 2018 15:09

And..i dont like the lyrics. Seems like mick had a rhyme book next to him. Also his singing. Or phrasing is too artificial and phoney for me.
But ..if you like the song. Please enjoy.
Jeroen

Date: December 31, 2018 16:26

Very good song,atmosphere, vocals, concept ....

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 31, 2018 16:38

Have loved this one as one of the highlights of ABB since 2005. Fantastic performance from Mick, and instrumentally lovely and atmospheric. One of the many winners on the album and in this particular case I think this ballad stands with the best they've ever done. And for a band at the time 40+ years into the game and on over two dozen albums, a song of this calibre, from the top tier, was amazing.

The album as a whole I still rate highly (albeit my own 12-track 'A Better Bang', cutting the 3 or 4 tracks I don't enjoy as much. That 12 track collection on my ipod is a very strong album with quite a few brilliant moments).

Date: December 31, 2018 17:52

corriecas
And..i dont like the lyrics. Seems like mick had a rhyme book next to him. Also his singing. Or phrasing is too artificial and phoney for me.
But ..if you like the song. Please enjoy.
Jeroen

Agreed 100%. There is something that rubs me wrong about that song. There is too much in the right place. All the correct boxes are checked. And it become the obvious choice where you go, "ah Jagger at his finest etc".
But ultimately it leaves you hollow.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 31, 2018 18:45

I love the song. Along with "Rain Fall Down," "Biggest Mistake," "Dangerous Beauty," and "Look What the Cat Dragged In," it's one of the five songs from the album I think holds up well. A nice companion piece to "Out of Control." You can hear the song's genesis in "I Cried Out" on the 2002 studio outtakes in circulation.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 31, 2018 19:32

...an other great song in the pocket...!

Date: January 1, 2019 07:14

StonesTod
unlistenable

Miss this guy

Date: January 1, 2019 07:16

StonesTod was special. Some say his spirit still lingers here during quiet moments when most iorrians are asleep.

He could be the funniest person here when the mood took him...or something.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-01 07:17 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 1, 2019 07:48

Rocky Dijon
StonesTod was special. Some say his spirit still lingers here during quiet moments when most iorrians are asleep.

He could be the funniest person here when the mood took him...or something.

Is he okay? Did he pass away?

Date: January 1, 2019 07:54

It would be fitting if he were given what Tod means in German. However, it is believed he was reincarnated...or something.

Date: January 1, 2019 08:12

Rocky Dijon
It would be fitting if he were given what Tod means in German. However, it is believed he was reincarnated...or something.

Then why are you mourning the past?

Date: January 1, 2019 14:53

35love
Rocky Dijon

Then why are you mourning the past?

Stonestod was one of the wittiest posters here ever. I remember he was already in his second or third incarnation back then, but got kicked off. And I believe he just didn't care to come back. I dont think he is here under different name because his style is too clever to miss. And way too funny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-01 14:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 1, 2019 15:00

Palace Revolution 2000
StonesTod
unlistenable

Miss this guy

Agree

Date: January 1, 2019 17:32

Back to topic: what is telling about my stance on ABB is that I still see LIND as one of the best tracks of the album.
It's not the most original opinion re. ABB, but it is just so rushed, and comes off sounding like that in every aspect.

"Rough Justice" is sort of like "Wired all Night" or "Everybody getting High"; it is Jagger himself doing Stones by numbers. Or what non-hardcore fans perceive as typical Stones material. RJ could be a lot better with some decent lyrics. I hate to sound like Scrooge, but at 70 your lyrics should be...well they should be not that. Still - good one.
"Look at what the cat dragged in" is another good one. Great lead guitar. Ronnie?
"Rain Fall Down" - Jagger going more modern, and succeeding.
"Back of my Hand" - yes, good one. I actually like Keith's guitar parts more than anything.
Other songs on plus side: "Let me down slow", "She saw me coming". And "Streets of Love". They really, really should have played many of these songs live night after night. Our reviews of the songs would be so different. No other band ever has been so good at taking a song on tour and finding out all about it, transforming it, and discovering its true life. The few times they did do 'Streets' immediately showed how much better this song could have been. We have become way too critical, and know-alls. I wonder had they released "Sticky Fingers" today, what we would say about it.

Rest of album IMO is either tuneless jams, misfires, two of Keith's worst songs... just the Stones not growing old gracefully. (Pete Townshend)

Date: January 1, 2019 17:48

Look at what the cat dragged in, is one of their worst songs. Terrible.
jeroen

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home