Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Levon Helm critically ill too??? sad smiley
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:26

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:38

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 18, 2012 12:43

The recent three albums on Vanguard are amazing.

Levon deserves a decent send-off, as his voice and music always brought joy to me. I love the studio version of Back To Memphis, which was a Moondog Matinee outtake, and Strawberry Wine is also a great favourite.

I always think The Band embodied their song Daniel & The Sacred Harp, after all they sold their souls for music, and not even Robbie or Garth have gotten through unscathed.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: April 18, 2012 13:21

Levon Helm was ( is ) one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I had the pleasure of meeting him a number of times over the years and he was as down to earth as you could want.For years and years I hosting a three hour radio show and a few times a year I would dedicate the full show to Levon and the Bands music, and I remember Levon sending me unreleased tracks to play on the shows every now and then. One of my fondest memories was standing around a bar at a club here in Portland Maine after a Levon & Barn Burners gig, talking with Levon, his daughter Amy and Bobby Keys (who had been sitting in with Levons band for a few weeks)-- they were the nicest people.
Love you Levon !

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 18, 2012 16:06

It sounds bad:

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 18, 2012 17:56

God bless you Levon.

Re: Levon Helm critically ill too???
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 18, 2012 18:09

[lighting the incense of strength and peace and comfort for the man and everyone close to him]

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:08

All la Glory, a lullaby that is one of my favorite Band songs and sung by Levon. "Feel so tall like a prison wall..." what a great line!

I wanna hear pitter patter
Climb up your ladder now
It's time for you to dream away,
For what a big day you've been through.
You've done all the things that you wanted to do.
All la glory, I'm second story,
Feel so tall like a prison wall.

I'm lookin' for a star bright
To shine down your light now
And keep the little one safe and warm,
'Cause to her it's just a fantasy
And to me it's all a mystery.
Feel so tall like a prison wall.

And before the leaves all turn brown,
Before they fall to the ground,
You will find the harmony,
Wait and see.

Listen to the serenade,
Little girl, promenade now.
You've got the sunshine in your hand
And maybe come some sweet day
You'll walk that Milky Way.
Feel so tall like a prison wall,

That tall.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:45

So sad news... One of the greastest, seemed to be a great guy.
All my thoughts with the family

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:50

Looks like Robbie got in to see him before it was too late. Shame this didn't happen years ago, it's always at the end when people realize how little those battles really mean:

Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.

Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.

Robbie Robertson

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 19, 2012 01:03

Thanks for the posts bob r and batcave (from Robbie's site). The Levon/Robbie rift was a heartbreaker. Levon's book was a riot to read, then it ended on a very sad note. Anger, love and hate are just a twist away from each other. One can only imagine what it was like in that room between Robbie and Levon. As far as I'm concerned, those first three albums stand up to anything. They have aged well, but then they sounded that way when you first heard them.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 19, 2012 03:01

bob r
Levon Helm was ( is ) one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I had the pleasure of meeting him a number of times over the years and he was as down to earth as you could want.For years and years I hosting a three hour radio show and a few times a year I would dedicate the full show to Levon and the Bands music, and I remember Levon sending me unreleased tracks to play on the shows every now and then. One of my fondest memories was standing around a bar at a club here in Portland Maine after a Levon & Barn Burners gig, talking with Levon, his daughter Amy and Bobby Keys (who had been sitting in with Levons band for a few weeks)-- they were the nicest people.
Love you Levon !

Wow, what a story! Thank you so much for share it with us. smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:41

How is Levon pronouced? I always say LEHV-on, buy heard someone say LEAV-on the other day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-19 05:26 by Koen.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:56

batcave
Looks like Robbie got in to see him before it was too late. Shame this didn't happen years ago, it's always at the end when people realize how little those battles really mean:

Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.

Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.

Robbie Robertson

I'm glad to read this. Though it's a shame that it was this event that brought them together again, I guess it's never too late to make peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-19 04:58 by stones78.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 19, 2012 07:25

Koen
How is Levon pronouced? I always say LEHV-on, buy heard someone say LEAV-on the other day.

It's pronounced LEE-von.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: April 19, 2012 17:41

Had to put on my "Levon Helm - Ramble at the Ryman" CD.

God bless Levon Helm. He'll soon be jammin with Rick Danko and Richard Manuel again.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 19, 2012 18:03

I've been reading other tributes to Levon Helm, and just thinking what a treasure he is...thanks Levon for the music, and for your love and dedication.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 19, 2012 18:35

The thing is Levon was the heart and soul of The Band.

Robbie may have written most of the great tunes in their canon: Richard may have had the most heartbreakingly soulful voice, Rick may have had a great voice, and Garth may have worked his magic on the keyboards, but it was Levon that brought the best to The Band, i.e. his vocals on The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The Weight, Ophelia. His mandolin work was also no slouch on Rockin' Chair, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Daniel & The Sacred Harp, Evangeline, and others.

I would also add that the RCO Allstars were a great band live too, and that American Son is a great country-rock album. Plus, his singing on When I Get My Reward on Will The Circle Be Unbroken II is also pretty stirring.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 19, 2012 18:44

It's rare to find a drummer that has the touch and feel for the kit that he had. A huge influence on my playing.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2012 19:18

swiss
Koen

It's pronounced LEE-von.

Thanks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 19, 2012 21:49

I don't think this has been posted yet...some info on Robbie's visit on the w/e:

[www.cbsnews.com]

OT: Levon Helm has passed away ...RIP Levon
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: April 19, 2012 21:58

By Steve Israel
Times Herald-Record
Published: 2:41 PM - 04/19/12
Last updated: 2:51 PM - 04/19/12
Levon Helm, Woodstock resident and drummer, the former leader of The Band, has died at age 71.

Helm died at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Sloane-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

"We lost Levon at 1:30 today surrounded by friends and family and his musicians have visited him," said Larry Campbell, Helm's longtime guitarist and band leader. "As sad as this was, it was very peaceful."

Related Stories
Levon Helm cancels appearance in New OrleansHelm cancels Saturday’s Midnight Ramble again Helm talks up living in Ulster on YouTubeLevon Helm loses lawsuit for ad's usage of 'The Weight'Levon Helm to skip Midnight Ramble because of medical procedureLevon Helm, Natalie Merchant, more on board for 'Shelter From the Storm'Campbell, who has played with everyone from Bob Dylan to BB King, said his greatest honor was not only helping lead Helm's band, but knowing him.

"What I'm most proud of is he called me his partner," Campbell said. "For me to arrive at a place like that with a great man like him is the ultimate."

Re: OT: Levon Helm has passed away ...RIP Levon
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:12

love and light to him, and to everyone close to him

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:15

so sad. one of the true greats. there's a vocal ensemble reunited in Heaven tonight. The music will live forever.

Posted by: 57LesPaulSpecial ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:19

Though we have known for a while that Levon was close to the end, the news makes me really sad.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:20

this is really really sad.
thanks for everything levon

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:28

Gonna put last Waltz on tonight . A great drummer and singer.
RIP

sc uk

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:29

This was unfortunately expected,after hearing the week end news he was very with that evil illness cancer.

R I P Levon.

We will miss you

Date: April 19, 2012 22:33

Levon was great.

For instance he enables this song to transcend itself and become universal...

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:37

"Too Soon Gone." RIP Levon.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home