Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Jimmy Johnson 75th b'day bash/ Stones meet the Shoals (pics)
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: February 1, 2019 06:31

Jimmy Johnson, one of the original "Swampers," and who also engineered the three Stones tracks off Sticky Fingers recorded here in Muscle Shoals (Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, You Gotta Move) will be having his 75th birthday-bash concert here in the Shoals at the Shoals Theater in Florence, AL, Feb. 19th.

These 75th birthday bashes are becoming quite the thing.. So far we've had b'days for Donnie Fritts, Spooner Oldham, and David Hood, all with some amazing guest musicians showing up (Kris Kristofferson, John Paul White, Blind Boys of Alabama, William Bell etc)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 23:42 by snoopy2.

Re: OT: Jimmy Johnson 75th b'day bash
Date: February 10, 2019 19:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 23:40 by snoopy2.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 22:23

I believe Jimmy was in the scene in Gimme Shelter where they are in the studio listening to Wild Horses?

Date: February 11, 2019 03:54

DGA35
I believe Jimmy was in the scene in Gimme Shelter where they are in the studio listening to Wild Horses?

Yes.. I've seen a few well-known pics of the gang with Jimmy Johnson while they were recording there, but I just saw one of Bill Wyman I hadn't seen before (hanging in Ye Old General Store in downtown Florence, AL). It's a shot with Bill full on facing camera, looks to be in the Jackson Hwy studio.. Also, small correction to the Booth book, though they recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound in Sheffield, the Holiday Inn the group stayed at was actually across the river in Florence.. Stanley is to be forgiven due to the fog they were all in smiling smiley .. There is a plaque there now, and a Taco Bell

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 03:55 by snoopy2.

Date: February 24, 2019 20:01

Despite the near-record flooding we're experiencing in the Shoals, there was a full house for the Rolling Stones tribute last night! Solid musicianship all around, but some highlights included:

Jerry Phillips (Sam Phillips son) rockabilly version of It's Only Rock and Roll
David Hood (original Swamper) playing bass on Brown Sugar and other tracks (Mike Dillon did vocals on BS, neighbor told me he was in an early band with Chuck Leavell, he also plays drums for the Decoys)..
Spooner Oldham (R&R Hall of Fame) playing keyboards and singing one of the Stones first EP recordings, Arthur Anderson's You Better Move On (Anderson recorded it here at FAME in the Shoals)..
James LeBlanc & The Winchesters solid cover of Gimme Shelter (I was thinking it wouldn't be pulled off, but it sounded great)
Jimmy Johnson made an appearance but didn't play. I did manage a brief chat with the man who engineered three of the Stones tracks off Sticky Fingers, which made my night (and there was the b'day bash for him earlier this week as well)

Photos of the logo as well as the flooding of Tennessee river from the rain we're getting:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 20:12 by snoopy2.

Re: OT: Jimmy Johnson 75th b'day bash/ Stones meet the Shoals (pics)
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 30, 2020 15:20

Did the Stones work or had anything to do with Rick Hall? I know they recorded at Muscle Shoals but that was at the Swampers' place not at Rick's FAME.Thank you.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home