Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can you remember the first time you heard the Stones?
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:18

Kudos to our Biology teacher (Doc Dilkes) for making us listen to Street Fighting Man and Satisfaction at our school assembly on a wobbly old vinyl player some time around 1982. What a guy... life was never the same again!

Re: Can you remember the first time you heard the Stones?
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:28

Uh, yeah, back in 1963 (edit: guess it was 64) on the radio and then they followed the Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show. Sat on the living room floor and swooned. My parents were worried.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-20 19:47 by jbwelda.

Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:29

The summer of 1964, "Tell Me" was played on some NYC radio stations. I was 13 and up until present day have enjoyed the musical journey of the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:35

I'm sure I'd heard them before as my older siblings (youngest of 5) were very much aware of them and the primary reason we were all gathered around the old black and white tv..
I remember their debut appearance on Ed Sullivan clearly.

October 25th, 1964: "Time Is On My Side"

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: July 20, 2020 23:22

Yes,it was the day my father came from the sacem building with some new 7'juke box editions including SATISFATION , I was 6 and ....now 60

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: July 20, 2020 23:25

I remember going picnicking with my parents at a lake. We were on the “family” side of the lake. The teenagers were all hanging out at the other side of the lake where there was a snack bar. The snack bar had a big speaker and was playing AM radio. I heard a song many times that summer. A few years later, when I became a Stones fan, I recognized that song was Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 20, 2020 23:53

Probably Angie.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 02:22

not sure but i became aware of them from watching jj flash on the rock and roll years.

Date: July 21, 2020 04:29

JJF was their big break back on the scene if I remember right. They had been quiet for a while and then BOOM...JJF was all over the radio. Dug that song a lot and it just jumped out of the box at you.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2020 06:33

Can't really pinpoint an exact moment...born in '63, they've always sort of been there just as the Beatles have.
Best guess would be hearing something on the radio, or seeing them on tv.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 21, 2020 10:43

There was no possibility to turn on the radio in the summer of 71 and not to hear Brown Sugar within 1 hour. No matter what station you chose.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 10:45

Clearly! February 1964 on one of those pirate radio stations ... Not Fade Away.
I was hit by lightning on the spot. It took me about 2-3 weeks to find out that those guys were named The Rolling Stones (thanks to a classmate who first lent me a monthly music magazine, the March edition of 1964, with the band's (shocking) B&W photo and later on allowed me to keep it. I still have that page). When later It's All Over Now surfaced I was "lost forever" cool smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 21, 2020 11:21

I must have heard them many times before, not knowing who it actually was playing such cool music, but later I got to know that it was the Stones.

It was BROWN SUGAR that I heard on my little transistor radio on the local NDR2 hitparade on a Saturday evening in the early summer of 1971.

"Here's some hot stuff from the wild boys", said the man on the radio, and it kind of hit me hard and I knew that that was the real thing and that I wanted more of it.

dead.flowers

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2020 11:40

....yes

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 12:00

Listening to the cricket, test Match Australia v England being played in England. I am in Perth Australia. I was using a crystal set (remember those???). The sound kept “drifting”. Trying to keep listening, I was minutely adjusting the tuning dial. I went too far, picked up either Radio Caroline or Radio Luxembourg by mistake. They were playing the studio version of Route 66. Never heard IT before and waited till the announcer said “that was the Rolling Stones”. That was it. Hooked. In 1964. First album. Went down to my local record store, actually a Singer Sewing Machine store! Asked if they had the record. Never heard of it. Found an EP coming soon, in a book of coming releases about as thick as the bible. Ordered it. Turned up about 8 weeks later. Heaven.

Rod

Date: July 21, 2020 13:15

Yep, winter 1981. Worried About You.

I asked my mum who the girl was. Loved the tune smiling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 21, 2020 13:47

Bill's jumping bass on "It's All Over Now" in 64. Incredible thing.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 21, 2020 13:56

My frist memory was Honky Tonk Women in 1969. -Can`t remember anything from before that, but sure The Beatles were all around...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 21, 2020 14:03

Koen
Probably Angie.

I'd heard them before...but watching them play Angie on Don Kirshner's show really put me over the edge....never been the same since really. Hooked.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 21, 2020 15:45

I don't specifically remember, but being a big listener of WABC AM in New York City from 1962 to 1969, I am sure it was right after they hit the USA big in the early 60s.

As far as when did I start to get into The Stones, I would have to say I started to get into them after seeing them live at Colorado State University, November 7, 1969.

And when did I get into them fully; I would have to say after meeting a guy named Nick Brown at the Fulton Street Switchboard in San Francisco in August of 1971. He was the one who really got me into them. We hitchhiked from there to my place in Colorado, and all we listened to was "Sticky Fingers" and "Get Yer Ya Yas Out".

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: July 21, 2020 16:15

Yes. 1981, Sympathy for the Devil, at basketball practice in the 8th grade. I asked the kid Danny with the boom box to replay it and he obliged and added more from Hot Rocks. I ran into Danny again last year and I told him the story. He didn’t remember.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 21, 2020 17:03

My wife and I attended the Columbia, SC show in 1994 while she was 6 months pregnant. JJF was the encore and it has always been my son's favorite song - if prenatal counts!

As far me, my teenage cousins always played the British Invasion bands, so as long as I can remember, The Stones have been there.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: July 21, 2020 17:08

1965 christmas gift EP around and around/if you need me /empty heart/confessin the blues !!
The beginning of a great experience...

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: July 21, 2020 18:13

Can't remember when I heard them first on the radio and what song it was.
For sure it was before "Satisfaction".
But I do know what the first Stones record was what I got.
As a Christmas present from my parents I got "Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)"
The one with the folder you know. Great pics in there.
The record is long worn out from a million times on the turntable but I still have the original folder.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 21, 2020 18:33

... 1963...Radio luxembourg 208 m. Receiped in south France...!

Date: July 21, 2020 19:43

I like that concept of hearing them on the pirate off shore stations. thats roots to the bone.

jb

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 20:46

In 1976, aged 9. My dad bought the 28 song Decca era compilation "Rolled Gold". He only every used to play the same 4 songs - It's all over now, The Last Time, Satisfaction and Cloud. I was upstairs, hearing it all. He's 3 months younger than Charlie and still got it somewhere.

Read the sleeve notes and pictures and became very curious about them.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 21, 2020 21:02

Not the first time, no. I was probably in-utero haha.

I do have childhood memories of family car trips listening to Sweet Virginia every time we hit the Virginia line.

I also remember the "breast" line from Let it Bleed as a kid and snickering.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 22, 2020 18:43

I was always Listening to Radio Luxembourg and Caroline on a tiny transister radio, It's All Over Now at my local venue's jukebox and more great songs: 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It Black and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby from singles/albums got me nailed.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 22, 2020 19:07

No.

But my first records (cassettes) were 'Steel Wheels' and 'Still Life' and I went into 1989 with a vague/general knowledge of them (specifically 'Start Me Up') and Mick in his knee pads, tights, and Joe Namath jersey.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home