Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stargroves
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2020 17:45

Was reading a little bit about Led Zeppelin having recorded several tracks at Stargroves with the Rolling Stones Mobile, along with other bands, and noticed that Mick sold it in 1979 for £200,000.

Is that a lot for back then? That's basically $250,000 US dollars, which these days is a relatively small house.

Apparently it's worth a lot more nowadays, around $18 million US.

Has anyone ever read that Mick wishes he still had it? From the pics I've seen the thing is HUGE. A "manor" is "a large country house".

I find "a large country house" to be quite amusing.

Re: Stargroves
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 19, 2020 18:15

GasLightStreet

Is that a lot for back then?

The average yearly income 1979 in the US was $11,479 - [en.Wikipedia.org] - [www2.Census.gov] .

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 20, 2020 02:04

Irix
GasLightStreet

Is that a lot for back then?

The average yearly income 1979 in the US was $11,479 - [en.Wikipedia.org] - [www2.Census.gov] .

Don't forget The house is in Britain, where the average salary that year was about £5,300.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2020 02:51

Yes it was most definitely a lot of money in 1979! Plus its in Berkshire, which would be one of the most expensive parts of the country to live in. Mick paid £55k for it, apparently in 1970

Rod Stewart owned it briefly about 20 years ago but broke up with Rachel Hunter before he ever lived in it.

He bought it from Sir Frank Williams, the owner of the Williams Formula 1 racing team.

It was sold for over £15 million in 2012

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Date: July 20, 2020 08:55

Obviously it's a lovely place.

I've often wondered, having seen where various rock'n'roll people, regardless of their genre, have lived, in real life and online - do they miss place A or B or C?

Stargroves appears to be one of those places, at least via the pics, that is astoundingly beautiful.

I see all kinds of homes and estates etc in southeast Louisiana, southern Mississippi, lower Alabama and the panhandle of Florida (or the Gulf Coast within about 100 miles from the GOM) that are, for me, mind blowing - then I look at a place like Stargroves - and it just makes me wonder - how the hell could someone leave such a place?

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 20, 2020 12:43

It is a nice place but I imagine Mick is quite happy with La Fourchette (?) in France.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2020 23:28

....what do ya do when your home
alone in one of those mansions and
something goes creak in the middle of the night ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 21, 2020 09:29

Rockman
....what do ya do when your home
alone in one of those mansions and
something goes creak in the middle of the night ????

Run like hell for the door!!! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2020 09:30

....yeah but which door ??

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 21, 2020 11:17

200K UK pounds in 1979 is about a million pounds now. Jagger only lived there for about a year in 1970, when they went into Exile in 1971 Mick's brother started to live there up to when Mick sold it.

Mathijs

Date: July 21, 2020 19:35

The name is spectacular. Such a weird name.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 21, 2020 23:49

Rockman
....yeah but which door ??

The hidden door.............

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 21, 2020 23:58

Grab your ventilator and ventilate it.

Thing about places like that, they take a lot of upkeep. Probably a million pounds a year these days just for the gardening, butler and maid service.

You know, it don't come easy.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home