Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14
Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2017 22:07

Saint Of Me & Out Of Control are two personal nightmares of mine.
Too Tight is brilliant, the Stones at their very best.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 14, 2017 03:15

Slave is so under rated it almost hurts....better than SMU.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2017 05:14

Rip This

I like it better too, Rip. thumbs up

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 14, 2017 11:24

Rip This

That’s laughable. But ‘Slave’ was a huge missed opportunity. Mick should be whipped around midnight for wasting that hypnotic riff and groove.

The ‘’Don’t wanna be your slave’ refrain is obviously in response to Keith asking him to write some decent lyrics.

With only semi-intelligible lyrics, this is more of a jam than a song..which accounts for its relative obscurity.

Date: April 14, 2017 12:18

Who cares for lyrics, the track grooves like hell, one of their best, nothing to change, nothing to improve - it is perfect.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 14, 2017 13:17

Sometimes with the Glimmer Twins ,because of the above mentioned remarks in regards to the lyrics it really doesn't matter because the grooves are so deep in the pocket that takes you away on a magic carpet ride (to steal from Mr. John Kay's masterpiece song) Mick Jagger could sing anything and we would all be grooving away the night .Slave is one of those masterpiece tracks .Another one that we could hardly care about the lyrics would be "Where the Boys Go" from Emotional Rescue, or even to a lesser extent "Let Me Go". Such cheesy lyrics ,so what was it ? the mid to late 70's to early 80's it got harder for Mick to put pen to paper to pen lyrics ? Or was the excess and debauchery catching up ? It really does not matter at all because the riffmaster "Keef" was laying down some of the best grooves this side of town on the west side .Think about the missed opportunity in 1981 or even before with Slave how this could have been a tour de force live in concert esp.in 1981 with an extended type jam on Slave with Bobby Keys ,with Ernie Watts ,with Keith ,Ronnie and Bill trading licks and grooves this could have been a monster show stealing jam to highlight the whole 1981 Tattoo You Tour .Huge missed opportunity if you ask me confused smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 14, 2017 18:13

HMS
Who cares for lyrics, the track grooves like hell, one of their best, nothing to change, nothing to improve - it is perfect.

Yeah Mick could've just hummed 'Satisfaction' and 'Jumping Jack Flash' and they still would've been 'perfect.'

The magnificence of language is lost on you because you're a moron. From now on I urge you not to use words when you post here. Just upload pics of the Dirty Work suits. If you absolutely have to say something just ape Mick in Slave and repeat 'do it do it do it' over and over.

Date: April 14, 2017 18:33

Mick´s " do it do it do it" adds more to the fantastic groove of Slave than any lyrics could. Thank God the marvelous jam-character of Slave is not spoiled by lyrics which in this case are completely unnecessary. No lyrics could make Slave better than it is.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 14, 2017 18:41

Gentlemen, agree to disagree. Do not regress to name-calling, please.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 14, 2017 19:06

HMS

Agreed......

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 16, 2017 21:33

One of the last really good ones:

video: [www.youtube.com]

She was hot. Yes, thats the last of the great ones. RIP the real Stones after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-16 21:44 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 17, 2017 00:55

HMS

You don't care for lyrics.

Explains your love for that bowl of vomit.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 17, 2017 04:30

Swayed1967
Rip This

That’s laughable. But ‘Slave’ was a huge missed opportunity. Mick should be whipped around midnight for wasting that hypnotic riff and groove.

The ‘’Don’t wanna be your slave’ refrain is obviously in response to Keith asking him to write some decent lyrics.

With only semi-intelligible lyrics, this is more of a jam than a song..which accounts for its relative obscurity.

Completely different songs which you cannot compare / better or worse.

They should have played it live, but then what should Mick Jagger do meanwhile? Running around for 5-10 minutes while the other are jamming!!!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 17, 2017 11:52

HMS
Saint Of Me & Out Of Control are two personal nightmares of mine.
Too Tight is brilliant, the Stones at their very best.

All three are "personal nightmares" for me.

Date: April 17, 2017 19:05

GasLightStreet
HMS

I know this is wrong and probably not PC at all but I love watching you guys go toe to toe .Your remarks are the best !

Date: April 17, 2017 19:07

mtaylor
Swayed1967
Rip This

They should have played it live, but then what should Mick Jagger do meanwhile? Running around for 5-10 minutes while the other are jamming!!!
No MJ could grab his Stratocaster and join the jam

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2017 19:20

TheGreek
mtaylor
Swayed1967
Rip This

No MJ could grab his Stratocaster and join the jam

He could run, stroll, and prowl around with a tambourine out on the catwalk and from one side of the stage to the other,
while doing some of his famous dance moves and poses while improvising some spoken word/lyrical content.
Similar to what he does on Miss You, but more spur of the moment and off the cuff.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2017 22:04

TheGreek
GasLightStreet
HMS

I know this is wrong and probably not PC at all but I love watching you guys go toe to toe .Your remarks are the best !

you should see them on a plastic tarp covered in mazola...they are out of this world!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 17, 2017 23:13

to me it's pretty awful; if i could just hear charlie and bill it'd be ok but the rest of it has to go; all of it; awful. it's not even good enough to be prentious; it aspires to pretension...I mean I'm the last to be casually dismissive of a good effort. If they would take EVERYTHING off of it except for Charlie and Bill I would def buy it; I would LOVE that...i have to keep listening to Wilson Pickett's version of Funky Broadway the last several days just because I keep seeing this thread here... smiling smiley

Date: July 22, 2021 22:39

As we're talking about Tattoo You Deluxe, it's about time we started talking about Slave again.

Ba dump, ba dump!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 22, 2021 22:55

Engaging jam? Yes, absolutely. Great song? No

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 22, 2021 23:21

Yes.
Out Of Control comes close,but nothing beats
Slave

Date: July 22, 2021 23:29

shortfatfanny
Yes.
Out Of Control comes close,but nothing beats
Slave

You know, there's just something about the production on that whole album, Chris Kimsey...all the songs just 'sound' good. So listening to Slave on headphones....I mean, just DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO AAAAAAAAAAAT!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 22, 2021 23:33

I sure do miss HMS - the only Stones intellectual. And a sharp comedian too.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 22, 2021 23:59

Stoneage
I sure do miss HMS - the only Stones intellectual. And a sharp comedian too.

You mean that clown who once trolled around, constantly promoting DW ?
Why you mention him in the context of Slave...well,ok...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 23, 2021 00:15

In my opinion no.Plusit was written and basically recorded in 1974-1975.If you go by when it was release there are probably 20 songs better,like Waitingon a Friend,Heaven, Start Me Up , Slipping away, She Was Hot, and many others

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 23, 2021 00:22

sort of a thread re-release, I get it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2021 00:30

Dunno ... butt I lurv whippin' my slave
...she lurvs it toooooooooooo .... the pain of love

ROCKMAN

Date: July 23, 2021 02:50

Natlanta
sort of a thread re-release, I get it.

Look you bastard, this is the Thread Super Deluxe package. It contains additional material not found in the original release.

Unfortunately, no money for remastering.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: July 23, 2021 05:08

Yes it is one of the best songs imo and would love to hear them do it live. I think it was rehearsed in 2002 but not played live?!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home