Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 14
Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2012 07:45

I was listening to it full blast on headphones on my walk to work this morning.

I may have fallen to the ground and did 'the worm' for awhile...it is SOOOOOOOOOO...good.

When I got up the crowd dispersed.

I think there is a longer version of the song on boots, no?

That song is just so good...that song alone makes Tattoo You better than Some Girls.

ok, I feel better now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 15:06 by bv.

Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 13, 2012 07:49

No, it isn't. It's a good song, though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2012 07:52

Send It To me
No, it isn't. It's a good song, though.

Thanks, I was just checking.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2012 08:35

Which 1980 song was it that you thought surpassed Slave, treacle ?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2012 08:39

Since 1980 Erik? Great song! But I also think Tops is up there, and Tie You Up, The Worst, and Under the Radar.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2012 08:42

whitem8
Since 1980 Erik?

Yes I was wondering about the headline; "since 1980". Why not "since 1978" or "since 1973" ?
Don't think there's anything on Emotional Rescue that's better than Slave.....well, Where The Boys Go and Dance are terrific though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-13 08:45 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 13, 2012 09:18

It is the thrill of the moment... listening some individual song and sensing that "this is it", it can't be any better... Same like comparing their recent bootlegs downloads to each other - is LA FRIDAY actually better than BRUSSELS AFFAIR or HAMPTON '81? Absurd. When listening through any of them, that's as great as rock music ever can be.

Besides, I think the real greatness of The Rolling Stones derives from their not so well-known, non upfront or "non-warhorses" material. That's where their unique charm and sound is best. Things like "Winter", "Slave", etc. Funny, some time I ago I was walking in some shopping centre, and from the speakers I could hear some very familar-sounding noise. I just heard somehow the sound but couldn't recognize the song. Then I needed to find a place I could hear it better, which I did. Of all songs, it was "One More Try" and it sounded simply awesome. So much pure joy and feel in that song. At that moment it felt like being the greatest Rolling Stones song ever...

- Doxa

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2012 09:26

At the moment, I would have to agree with treaclefingers on this one.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 13, 2012 09:45

Doxa
It is the thrill of the moment... listening some individual song and sensing that "this is it", it can't be any better... Same like comparing their recent bootlegs downloads to each other - is LA FRIDAY actually better than BRUSSELS AFFAIR or HAMPTON '81? Absurd. When listening through any of them, that's as great as rock music ever can be.

Besides, I think the real greatness of The Rolling Stones derives from their not so well-known, non upfront or "non-warhorses" material. That's where their unique charm and sound is best. Things like "Winter", "Slave", etc. Funny, some time I ago I was walking in some shopping centre, and from the speakers I could hear some very familar-sounding noise. I just heard somehow the sound but couldn't recognize the song. Then I needed to find a place I could hear it better, which I did. Of all songs, it was "One More Try" and it sounded simply awesome. So much pure joy and feel in that song. At that moment it felt like being the greatest Rolling Stones song ever...

- Doxa

thumbs up

Date: April 13, 2012 10:42

Probably one of their best recordings ever. Keith is running the show, but Mick really came up with some cool vocals.

Of latter day songs, only How Can I Stop comes close, imo.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2012 10:42

No.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 13, 2012 11:04

It's a damn fine song and just so Stonesy...I've got a bootleg on cassette of these sessions and it has an interesting version of this, sounds like they were putting it together - very stripped down. On reflection Tattoo You is a bloody good album. Hence the reason I went out and had it tattooed on my forearm all those years ago!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 13, 2012 11:55

crumbling_mice
On reflection Tattoo You is a bloody good album. Hence the reason I went out and had it tattooed on my forearm all those years ago!

Yes it is. It is funny album because it doesn't fit very well to anything. I mean, it is very difficult to write it as some kind of big or relevant or important album. It doesn't have any good 'story' over it. We know its "copy and paste" nature - which made it kind of retro album already in 1981, and not adding anything new and exciting to Stones vocabulary. It doesn't generally mean anything in the 80's music scene. Just an album of old farts who had done their really relevant music years earlier (and, as we have recently seen, not even SOME GIRLS is that big album as we have tend to think)

But it is just incredibly great album by its own terms. I have always have mixed emotions about its true value since it was my first Stones album and the very reason why I was once hooked. For years I thought that I am way too subjective about it, but now when the years go by, it starts to look like that the album is like a good wine; the older it is, the better it is (and the fact that the Stones make its value easier to seen by releasing mediocre albums one after other ever since). It is a shining star in Stones productivity during the 80's by a mile, and I think it seriously challenges SOME GIRLS and GOATS HEAD SOUP from the title of best post-EXILE album.

TATTOO YOU, if any album, is a masterpiece by accident.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-13 12:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 13, 2012 11:57

I like a lot of post '80 songs as much as Slave although it is an absolute gem - to slightly adapt Doxa's steatement about 'One more try' - they all 'sound like the greatest Stones songs ever' when on and loud - but the best (for me) has got to be the live version of 'Out of Control'........................

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-13 11:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 13, 2012 12:11

i was thinking the same thing last month.
i was doing some jogging and i was listening to tatto you with my mp3,
and when slave came i thought it was one of the best songs they wrote in the 2nd part of their history.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 13, 2012 12:21

"Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?"

Could be... It could also be one of the last song they really worked on : compare the bootleg versions with the finished product and you'll see there was a considerable amount of time spent on making the 1st (1975?) draft better.

My problem with the "recent" (1989-now) discs is you feel there's little difference between home-made demos and album versions. Lack of chemistry between Mick and Keith? A general laziness? I don't know...

Compare the lame Start Me Up I with the great T-You album and you'll get another example of what I'm trying to express.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: April 13, 2012 12:55

treaclefingers
I was listening to it full blast on headphones on my walk to work this morning.

I may have fallen to the ground and did 'the worm' for awhile...it is SOOOOOOOOOO...good.

When I got up the crowd dispersed.

I think there is a longer version of the song on boots, no?

That song is just so good...that song alone makes Tattoo You better than Some Girls.

ok, I feel better now.

I also think Slave is a fantastic song! The sound is brilliant. Sonny Rollins on board!

Date: April 13, 2012 13:05

Doxa
crumbling_mice
On reflection Tattoo You is a bloody good album. Hence the reason I went out and had it tattooed on my forearm all those years ago!

Yes it is. It is funny album because it doesn't fit very well to anything. I mean, it is very difficult to write it as some kind of big or relevant or important album. It doesn't have any good 'story' over it. We know its "copy and paste" nature - which made it kind of retro album already in 1981, and not adding anything new and exciting to Stones vocabulary. It doesn't generally mean anything in the 80's music scene. Just an album of old farts who had done their really relevant music years earlier (and, as we have recently seen, not even SOME GIRLS is that big album as we have tend to think)

But it is just incredibly great album by its own terms. I have always have mixed emotions about its true value since it was my first Stones album and the very reason why I was once hooked. For years I thought that I am way too subjective about it, but now when the years go by, it starts to look like that the album is like a good wine; the older it is, the better it is (and the fact that the Stones make its value easier to seen by releasing mediocre albums one after other ever since). It is a shining star in Stones productivity during the 80's by a mile, and I think it seriously challenges SOME GIRLS and GOATS HEAD SOUP from the title of best post-EXILE album.

TATTOO YOU, if any album, is a masterpiece by accident.

- Doxa

The funny thing with this "Cut and paste-job" is that the sound is almost consistant throughout the album, even though it's recorded during different periods and in different studios.

The guitars on SMU, Hang Fire, Slave, Little T+A, Black Limousine, Worried About You and Tops, for instance, sound like they're from the same recording session.

Some ace-work from Chris Kimsey made this album brilliant, as well as Mick's new vocals.

The dynamics in the album have been discuss on countless occasions, but needs to be mentioned: The rocking A-side and the more mellow B-side - genius!

My first Stones album, and still one of my favorites thumbs up

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 13, 2012 13:31

dcba
"Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?"

Could be... It could also be one of the last song they really worked on : compare the bootleg versions with the finished product and you'll see there was a considerable amount of time spent on making the 1st (1975?) draft better.

My problem with the "recent" (1989-now) discs is you feel there's little difference between home-made demos and album versions. Lack of chemistry between Mick and Keith? A general laziness? I don't know...

Compare the lame Start Me Up I with the great T-You album and you'll get another example of what I'm trying to express.

compare you got me rocking with how this song started, but that doesnt mean that I completely disagree with you.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 13, 2012 13:46

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-13 15:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 13, 2012 13:51

don't think its the best one since 1980

but I think its got the best intro of any song of theirs since then...

and I'd put in the top five of best intros of Stones songs

cool smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 13, 2012 13:55

In which place should had fell the extra SG's tracks if they were released at the begining - or even middle- of the 80's??
Very very high in the best RS's albums chart surely

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 13, 2012 13:58

Slave is the boys at their peaks and I like 100 % of it.
Just like I like 100 % of a lot of other songs that came before or after it.

And it's got Pete Townshend on backing vocals too!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 13, 2012 14:09

And Jeff Beck on guitar leads???

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 13, 2012 14:21

No

Date: April 13, 2012 14:27

Who is on lead guitar???????????????

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 13, 2012 14:40

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great track which is sadly marred by the Bee Gees style vocals.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 13, 2012 14:59

Nope!

'Streets of Love' is.....>grinning smiley<

2 1 2 0

Date: April 13, 2012 15:19

Doxa
crumbling_mice

That's because they left off the best of the SG leftovers and used mostly weak material for some Mick Jaggered reason.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 13, 2012 15:49

Great song, no doubt. However, I'd go with "Almost Hear You Sigh".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home