Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Some Neck [CD]
Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: July 13, 2020 15:48

Sorry which edition of Gimme Some Neck is the one to get?

I'm looking for decent sound (not mastered over the top)

JPC has three:

[www.jpc.de]

- since I hate digipaks.I would take one of the fancy japan imports.

Album Gimme Some Neck, Ron Wood |
[www.qobuz.com]

^^ seems to be the same as the digipak.

Options?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 15:53 by glimmertwin1.

Re: Gimme Some Neck [CD]
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 13, 2020 20:48

Bought my copy in Kuala Lumpur in 2004, ace sound, I only had the vinyl earlier. The CD sounds great to my ears.

Date: July 13, 2020 21:20

There is no copy with ace sound, no matter which format. Blame it on Roy Thomas Baker and fb coke smiling smiley

Date: July 13, 2020 21:49

I had a CBS LP which was quite ok.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 14, 2020 14:05

DandelionPowderman
There is no copy with ace sound, no matter which format. Blame it on Roy Thomas Baker and fb coke smiling smiley

Well I think the production, mix and overall sound is quite charming Dandy. I just love the drums on Buried Alive and Come To Realize for instance. Although charming might be a better word than ace winking smiley

I like the fact that his three first solo albums sound so different and GSN's sound is kinda the polar opposite of the Emotional Rescue album (which for me got the best sound outta all records, ER should get its own Super Deluxe IMHO). Anyway GSN is a great party record smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 14:06 by MadMax.

Date: July 14, 2020 16:01

MadMax
DandelionPowderman

Well I think the production, mix and overall sound is quite charming Dandy. I just love the drums on Buried Alive and Come To Realize for instance. Although charming might be a better word than ace winking smiley

I like the fact that his three first solo albums sound so different and GSN's sound is kinda the polar opposite of the Emotional Rescue album (which for me got the best sound outta all records, ER should get its own Super Deluxe IMHO). Anyway GSN is a great party record smileys with beer

Actually, it's a good album. But it's marred with a mix that's so shabby that it's tough to listen to, imo. There are a few exceptions, of course. Seven Days sounds good.

I heard the songs live first (The Largo-show), and couldn't believe the mix when I got the studio album smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 14, 2020 16:43

I recall getting this on cassette before Emotional Rescue came out. I must have played it a hundred times, waiting for the new Stones album. I still love it!

Date: July 14, 2020 18:29

Good old times Tapes smileys with beer

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 15, 2020 00:03

glimmertwin1
Good old times Tapes smileys with beer

smileys with beer ... and sorry, I can't help w/ your original question. I do have it on vinyl and cd now, but I don't know versions or comparisons of mixes etc. to add any value on that.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 15, 2020 02:19

What you ask for is a better mix??? I`m afraid that doesn`t exist. Apart from the mix (or just the available equipment it was recrded with) it is what it is. Surely Don Was or Bob Clairmountain could do some ”triggerthings” to the drums or something, but the album wasn`t that popular. Still some great tunes, though, but it would have been far better with a decent soundmix. I think Charlie plays great on this! Also listening to Ron on Breakin` My Heart is a delight!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 04:52 by audun-eg.

Date: July 15, 2020 12:18

All I need is a version that is not mastered over the top -> too loud - like the 2009 Stones CDs.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 16, 2020 12:51

I can't help to tell you which release has better sound. I will say I've enjoyed this album for years and it's worth getting.

Date: July 16, 2020 13:55

glimmertwin1
All I need is a version that is not mastered over the top -> too loud - like the 2009 Stones CDs.

Get a version that's from before the early 2000s (that's when the 'brickwalling' started). Btw, aren't all the versions from before that, or is there also a newer release?

Date: July 16, 2020 13:57

I don t know

Date: July 16, 2020 15:15

glimmertwin1
I don t know

This one from 1989 is not brickwalled.

Ron Wood - Gimme Some Neck

[www.discogs.com]

Shared from the Discogs App

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home