Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Newcastle 23/6/82
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 23, 2020 11:01

It's an anniversary of sorts for me, 38 years today since my first Stones stadium show at St.James Park Newcastle. Travelled down by bus from Glasgow with my girlfriend almost sick with excitement. It rained almost all day but what a show. Support was George Thorogood and J.Geils Band. I was only 18 at the time and even then The Stones seemed impossibly old in their late 30's/early 40'sgrinning smiley I remember I got talking to this older guy from Lincoln and he said with some confidence 'Oh yes, this'll be the last time we see them'. I remember thinking to myself how lucky I was to have caught this band before they vanished. Well folks here we are 38 years later and I've been to many Stones gigs since. And the amazing thing for me is, against all the odds me and The Stones are still rollingthumbs up Anybody else here at this show?

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Re: Newcastle 23/6/82
Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: June 23, 2020 12:33

ROLLINGSTONE
It's an anniversary of sorts for me, 38 years today since my first Stones stadium show at St.James Park Newcastle. Travelled down by bus from Glasgow with my girlfriend almost sick with excitement. It rained almost all day but what a show. Support was George Thorogood and J.Geils Band. I was only 18 at the time and even then The Stones seemed impossibly old in their late 30's/early 40'sgrinning smiley I remember I got talking to this older guy from Lincoln and he said with some confidence 'Oh yes, this'll be the last time we see them'. I remember thinking to myself how lucky I was to have caught this band before they vanished. Well folks here we are 38 years later and I've been to many Stones gigs since. And the amazing thing for me is, against all the odds me and The Stones are still rollingthumbs up Anybody else here at this show?
Well, the guy from Lincoln was right in regard to Ian Stewart. Those shows were the last with him on board. Count yourself lucky for having seen the band with their original pianist and co-founder.

Date: June 23, 2020 12:58

MrEcho
ROLLINGSTONE
Well, the guy from Lincoln was right in regard to Ian Stewart. Those shows were the last with him on board. Count yourself lucky for having seen the band with their original pianist and co-founder.

Good call. Never considered that before.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: June 23, 2020 15:04

I was there too.

It was a local show for me (though not my first, that was 1976) as I live in North East England.

It was a truly wonderful occasion.

Went with friends and girlfriend (now wife) who weren't particularly fans but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh how Id love to go back to those days!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: June 23, 2020 15:10

Heres a little reminder of it!

[www.youtube.com]

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: June 23, 2020 15:14

My first Stones show. It was quite a local one for me too as only 60 miles from my home town of Carlisle. I don't remember any rain or seeing J Geils Band but I definitely did not see George Thorogood, in fact I didn't know he supported them in UK.

My memory fades but I remember it was good but not as good as Wembley Stadium two days later - that was like watching a different band!

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: June 24, 2020 18:40

Yip I was there. Traveled down from Ayrshire. Saw them 3 times that year, Glasgow,Newcastle and Leeds. What a year.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 24, 2020 23:27

I met a young Norwegian two days later and he had arrived by ferry from Bergen the very day of the gig with no foreknowledge. It was his lucky day - he went along and got in.

What he remarked on was how freely K Nd R were willing all over the place.

From seeing that YouTube clip - how they miss an integral band bassist ....

Date: June 25, 2020 17:07

cooheid
Yip I was there. Traveled down from Ayrshire. Saw them 3 times that year, Glasgow,Newcastle and Leeds. What a year.

Yeah, I was lucky enuff to get ticket for Apollo warm-up gig. That was my first ever show, Newcastle a close second! smiling smiley

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: June 25, 2020 20:03

I was there too.....My second Stones gig. I'd seen them a month or two earlier at The Playhouse in Edinburgh, so this was my first outdoor gig.

I recall same excitement, and a feeling of history being made. Approaching St James Park past the student quarter, they had dub reggae blasting out through open windows.

I watched both support bands - Ian Stewart played piano with George Thorogood,and I remember thinking that was pretty cool. I also recall a fight breaking out in the crowd during 20 Flight Rock, and hearing a lot of Scottish accents in the crowd. I've now seen them 27 times....

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:14

St James park was a real dump back then. H&S today would condemn it in an instant !
I'd love to have seen them at Roundhay park to compare it to some of the later gigs like Simple Minds. U2, Wacko Jacko and Madonna.

At least Mick gave a shout out to the local Towns and Cities - Huuuuddersfield !

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 10, 2020 21:12

Good find
First time notice Keith runs "late" in the chorus, between the first and the second beat, which in addition with a different melody compared to Mick, gives a nice "layer", layback effect.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-10 21:13 by The Joker.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 11, 2020 01:53

That show was my first Stones show!What a gig.Made a recording on cassette of .Still got it .Right by the front too.
Roundhay was my second show.
Mmm.over one hundred shows later.Still hoping for US sows in 2021.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home