Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why not Daniel Lanois as Producer?
Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 03:07

Daniel Lanois would be ideal as Stones producer.
Just listen to Emmylou Harris's Wrecking Ball or Dylan's Oh Mercy.
He creates a very moody feel and might give The Stones the kick they may need.
His solo work is not shabby either.

Re: Why not Daniel Lanois as Producer?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 3, 2015 03:30

He had such a great string of records in the 80's/90's starting with Peter Gabriel's So (1986) and ending with Wrecking Ball (1995). Lately? meh.

It all still comes down to what the Stones can bring to the table. Not only are they probably difficult to truly produce and influence at this point but they need the great songs! I didn't particularly like what he did with Neil Young on Le Noise. But I do believe if Mick and Keith had some hidden gems up their sleeve Daniel could probably do well with them

Wasn't there some history with him and Jagger? I seem to remember a story along those lines.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 03:33

the problem is less the production than the songwriting. so far the songs on keith's solo album are very impressive, and to me that indicates that the issue is less their talent than simply mick and keith being willing to roll up their sleeves and work together. doesn't seem to have happened for 20 years or more, hard to see it happening now. this is one reason why i think a covers album might make sense.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 3, 2015 04:18

What an interesting idea. Just imagine how he could help shape Stones songs to give them this other(worldly) vibe. The sound, the atmospherics, the feel of an album produced by him with the Stones would be something totally different than the usual Stones thing we've gotten. I love Dylan's "Oh Mercy" album. Emmylou's "Wrecking Ball," the Neville Brother's "Yellow Moon" album (IMHO, one of their best), U2, Lanois's done good by them all. This might be what the Stones need. I'm sure the arguments would be fierce over what the Stones say a Stones album should sound like compared to what Lanois hears, but maybe they need someone to kick their as*ses and push them into a different direction. Don Was ain't gonna do it. This is part of what was and still is cool with Keith's first solo album. It was the Stones best album in years, it wasn't the Stones, but it was sounds you could easily hear them rockin'. Same thing with Lanois. Him on a Stones album, but not him. For a small idea of what I'm getting at, go back and find the Chieftan's album where the Stones play on a couple of cuts. It's the Chieftan's but it's also the Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2015 04:30

Don't forget Dylan's Time Out of Mind (1997), one of his all time best albums imo.
Also won 3 grammy's - Album of the Year, Best Contemporary Folk Album, and Best Male Rock Vocal Performance for "Cold Irons Bound".

At any rate, don't think he could help the Stones...

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: September 3, 2015 05:11

Hairball
Don't forget Dylan's Time Out of Mind (1997), one of his all time best albums imo.
Also won 3 grammy's - Album of the Year, Best Contemporary Folk Album, and Best Male Rock Vocal Performance for "Cold Irons Bound".

At any rate, don't think he could help the Stones...

Agreed.But maybe Jack Frost himself would be a good choice.Dylans recent self-produced records sound great IMO,and he always wanted to record with the Stones...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2015 05:32

Why don't they just bring in two producers, one for the Keith songs, the other for the Mick songs?

What could possibly go wrong?!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 3, 2015 05:54

its called Bridges to Babylon the 2 producers

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 3, 2015 06:00

The simple answer is for Mick and Keith to write together. If that happens, who cares who the producer is?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 3, 2015 06:56

No, it'll sound like a Daniel Lanois record, just like Oh Mercy and Time out of Mind did. Just like Jeff Lynne in the late '80s. And don't bring up 'Well, what about Phil Spector?" If artists want to go that route, fine.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 3, 2015 07:12

great artists don't ever really lose their craft...just muses...time changes everything...Mick is no longer Keith's main musical muse...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2015 08:21

NO >>>NO>>>>>NO ..... never don't let him anywhere near 'em

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 3, 2015 09:27

Don't forget Teatro by Willie Nelson; a great album. Willie ruined the momentum with the Great Divide album.

As to Lanois and the Stones - forget it, the soundscapes he creates are suited to only certain artists. In my opinion, he did well with Neil Young, and I quite like that album.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 3, 2015 09:30

I rather vote for Jack White to produce them....He has made a whole bunch of good rock n roll even of a two-man-band with a girl as a drummer as you very well know...smiling smiley
Sorry for this scurrilous joke ladies..

2 1 2 0

Date: September 3, 2015 10:18

Don't like his sound. He somehow always takes the juice out of it, imo.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: September 3, 2015 11:09

Daniel Lanois is a great producer but in my opinion he's to gentle and sophisticated for pure Stones. I know he did great records with Dylan, Black Dub etc. but i'd prefere Dan Auerbach as a producer or Jack White. It shoud be raw and simple. Please listen to Dr John Locked Away produced by Auerbach, great sound.
Anyway i hope it would be someone else than Don Was. I don't like his touch as a producer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-03 11:10 by thrak.

Date: September 3, 2015 11:12

I think the sound and performance of Dylan's albums ' Oh Mercy ' and ' Time out of Mind ' is magical in the truest sense of the word.

It's a little too late now, but ' Dirty Work ' would certainly have needed some laying on of hands by Daniel.

2 1 2 0

Date: September 3, 2015 11:21

Come On
I think the sound and performance of Dylan's albums ' Oh Mercy ' and ' Time out of Mind ' is magical in the truest sense of the word.

It's a little too late now, but ' Dirty Work ' would certainly have needed some laying on of hands by Daniel.

Oh Mercy is great, but it's not because of the production, imo. The 90s albums with Lanois sound a bit sterile to me.

Date: September 3, 2015 11:58

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Oh Mercy is great, but it's not because of the production, imo. The 90s albums with Lanois sound a bit sterile to me.

You have to listen a few more times to Time out of Mind '. That sound is anything but sterile. .. smiling smiley I don't Think I got anything more from Daniel from the 90s...should be his own album which I Think is a Little bleak to be honest...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 3, 2015 12:02

Daniel Lanois? No, they are worlds apart.

Date: September 3, 2015 12:04

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

You have to listen a few more times to Time out of Mind '. That sound is anything but sterile. .. smiling smiley I don't Think I got anything more from Daniel from the 90s...should be his own album which I Think is a Little bleak to be honest...

Will have another listen to Time Out Of Mind. Maybe I mixed it up with Love And Theft smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2015 12:31

If they ever do a remake of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull
then Lanois would be fine for the soundtrack but don't let him go anywhere near The Stones ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 04:58 by Rockman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 3, 2015 13:26

latebloomer
The simple answer is for Mick and Keith to write together. If that happens, who cares who the producer is?
agree, that is the way to make a grand album.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 3, 2015 14:16

...all producers are better than Don Was. II prefer Rob Fraboni or Rick Rubin.

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 14:16

Daniel Lanois has a signature sound. Everyone he produces sounds the same.
He is also way too old school for my taste.

Bring back the Dust Brothers or whatever kids are hip right now.

Date: September 3, 2015 14:20

SL818
Daniel Lanois has a signature sound. Everyone he produces sounds the same.
He is also way too old school for my taste.

Bring back the Dust Brothers or whatever kids are hip right now.

Christ, no! They ruined a perfectly good blues on B2B thumbs down

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 3, 2015 14:23

Please Mick/Keith...it's time to change producer!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 3, 2015 15:06

How about Kanye West?

Date: September 3, 2015 15:41

...or Chris Thomas...the producer of Never mind the bollocks...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 3, 2015 15:42

Get Steve Jordan and peel off the bullshit. Get back to the roots. Book Chess... winking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home