Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone Attend The Stones Concert In Montreal -April 20, 1998?
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 23, 2020 22:15

This is a stab in the dark but here goes! On April 19 & 20, 1998 the Stones played 2 shows at the Molson Arena in Montreal, Canada. ( Now called The Bell Centre). I took the Amtrak from Albany and attended both shows. I stayed at the Westin Hotel, the same hotel that the band was staying at. On April 20, I met Mick in the bar/restaurant and it was an amazing meeting that went unnoticed for quite a few minutes. When the folks in the bar realized that Mick was there, chatting with me, the place erupted...noise, flashes going off from cameras. His bodyguard, Rowen, was anxious to get Mick out of there and so we had to end our visit...angry smiley I was hoping that someone saw this and took photos of my meeting with Mick. I will pay handsomely for photos of this meeting or for information regarding how to get a copy or two of these photos...that I KNOW EXIST because the place was flooded with light from camera flashes. This is something I've had on my mind for a very long time. If you can help, please step " out of the shadows!" Thank you in advance.

Re: Anyone Attend The Stones Concert In Montreal -April 20, 1998?
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 23, 2020 22:47

mickschix
This is a stab in the dark but here goes! On April 19 & 20, 1998 the Stones played 2 shows at the Molson Arena in Montreal, Canada. ( Now called The Bell Centre). I took the Amtrak from Albany and attended both shows. I stayed at the Westin Hotel, the same hotel that the band was staying at. On April 20, I met Mick in the bar/restaurant and it was an amazing meeting that went unnoticed for quite a few minutes. When the folks in the bar realized that Mick was there, chatting with me, the place erupted...noise, flashes going off from cameras. His bodyguard, Rowen, was anxious to get Mick out of there and so we had to end our visit...angry smiley I was hoping that someone saw this and took photos of my meeting with Mick. I will pay handsomely for photos of this meeting or for information regarding how to get a copy or two of these photos...that I KNOW EXIST because the place was flooded with light from camera flashes. This is something I've had on my mind for a very long time. If you can help, please step " out of the shadows!" Thank you in advance.

Best of luck to you. I am very jealous lol.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 24, 2020 01:03

steffialicia
mickschix

Best of luck to you. I am very jealous lol.

I did some digging on the internet, and I was able to find a picture of Mick in Quebec in 1998 a bar called Le Charlotte in Quebec City...close but not quite!

Date: June 24, 2020 05:58

Thanks, Erbissel. that was so nice that you tried! This is exactly what I'm looking for! I guess I might have met Mick on that very same day, or maybe the night AFTER this was taken...how did you even find THIS? What question did you pose to GOOGLE?

Date: June 24, 2020 06:07

Thanks, Steffialicia! It would mean the world to me if I were to find a photo of us chatting..it was a long chat...all things considered. I had an enormous Union Jack for him, I'd bought it for him that afternoon...I had 3rd row seats for their show that night and was planning on tossing it up to him but I got lucky & was able to actually have a conversation and share a laugh or two with him...he's very sweet in person, I guess I was on auto-pilot and some higher power took over so I was able to act " normal" and talk with him without being self-conscious or too goofy...THANK THE LORD! He held on to my hand for the entire chat, we talked about the show the previous evening, and he asked my name...actually told me he'd " look for me that night "...and he did, and he FOUND ME because I was waving a smaller Union Jack...The BEST PART was as he was leaving he spoke my name...said " I'll look for you, Debra!"...I had to sit down after he'd left the room...OK, sorry, this is way too long! I've been harassed here for telling this story!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 24, 2020 07:09

mickschix
I've been harassed here for telling this story!

WTF! That's what this site is all about, surely? What's better than a personal encounter with a Rolling Stone?

Anyway, have you tried any of the local (Montreal) newspapers? They may not have their image archives online, but may respond to a call or a letter quoting the dates etc.

HTH

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 24, 2020 07:45

Good luck Debra, you cetainly deserve your pic!

Date: June 24, 2020 17:45

Thank you, Quique-stone! Captain Corella had a good idea, about contacting Montreal newspapers. I'll give it a good. Thanks to you as well, Captain!

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 24, 2020 19:08

mickschix
Thanks, Erbissel. that was so nice that you tried! This is exactly what I'm looking for! I guess I might have met Mick on that very same day, or maybe the night AFTER this was taken...how did you even find THIS? What question did you pose to GOOGLE?

I don't remember exactly but it came up in an article written in French, I was doing an image search with terms like stones, jagger, avril, quebec, montreal, le westin, restaurant, bar, 1998, ville-marie

When querying for anything Mick/Canada related it helps to exclude the terms "Margaret Trudeau" haha

Date: June 24, 2020 19:16

mickschix
Thanks, Steffialicia! It would mean the world to me if I were to find a photo of us chatting..it was a long chat...all things considered. I had an enormous Union Jack for him, I'd bought it for him that afternoon...I had 3rd row seats for their show that night and was planning on tossing it up to him but I got lucky & was able to actually have a conversation and share a laugh or two with him...he's very sweet in person, I guess I was on auto-pilot and some higher power took over so I was able to act " normal" and talk with him without being self-conscious or too goofy...THANK THE LORD! He held on to my hand for the entire chat, we talked about the show the previous evening, and he asked my name...actually told me he'd " look for me that night "...and he did, and he FOUND ME because I was waving a smaller Union Jack...The BEST PART was as he was leaving he spoke my name...said " I'll look for you, Debra!"...I had to sit down after he'd left the room...OK, sorry, this is way too long! I've been harassed here for telling this story!

OMG Debra, without sounding like too much the fool, I would have completely lost it if such a thing happened to me.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 24, 2020 20:58

mickschix
No worries as I am enjoying you telling us this awesome meeting with Mick Jagger . Keep going and tells us more as you have my attention ( as if I wouldn't want to know all the details of one of us fans meeting Mr. Jagger in the flesh !

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 25, 2020 00:59

mickschix
Thank you, Quique-stone! Captain Corella had a good idea, about contacting Montreal newspapers. I'll give it a good. Thanks to you as well, Captain!

More than happy to try to be able to help.

I should have added that the newspapers will more than likely have a photo library of photo's both published and others. It's one of the places that the journalists would go to to 'research' articles. I guess that recent photo's will be online, but they may not have digitised their old libraries.

Depending on how they operate you may need to visit and look at them.

Finding someone on IORR or a friend who lives in/close to Montreal would obviously be a help in terms of logistics.

As for getting prints it's not in the least unusual for newspapers to provide prints (small fee) - we have several from assorted life events that happened to be in the papers.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 25, 2020 01:15

I'll start with the newspapers! I even called the hotel long ago to see if they had security video...no luck...THAT I might try again. It really is a long shot...I think those taking the photos were just fans waiting to go to the show that night & they had no idea Mick was in that bar...tucked away in a corner with a friend eating pasta...until he stood up and we began " our little visit" no one noticed him...and they were cool, for awhile. Mick was in a very playful mood...another stroke of luck....when I told him I had something for him he grinned and say " I bet you do!." That flustered me a little!! But we bantered back & forth and when he reached for my hand it became surreal. Anyway, I have that memory for always...it gets me through the dark times. Thank you again for being so sweet!

Date: June 25, 2020 02:27

mickschix
I'll start with the newspapers! I even called the hotel long ago to see if they had security video...no luck...THAT I might try again. It really is a long shot...I think those taking the photos were just fans waiting to go to the show that night & they had no idea Mick was in that bar...tucked away in a corner with a friend eating pasta...until he stood up and we began " our little visit" no one noticed him...and they were cool, for awhile. Mick was in a very playful mood...another stroke of luck....when I told him I had something for him he grinned and say " I bet you do!." That flustered me a little!! But we bantered back & forth and when he reached for my hand it became surreal. Anyway, I have that memory for always...it gets me through the dark times. Thank you again for being so sweet!

Omg Debra

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 25, 2020 03:01

Good luck Debra, we're all counting on you

Date: June 25, 2020 06:28

Thanks, JJ Flash. I am not too hopeful....it was so long ago...and the sinful part of this is I HAD MY 35mm camera on my table and the person with me did NOT TAKE PHOTOS! She was too shocked by it all, I guess! She froze....deer in the headlights, totally unable to speak. After it all was behind me she said" How in the HELL did you just manage to have a real conversation with MICK JAGGER!"? I told her that my adrenaline and auto-pilot kicked in! I think now that I had an angel on my shoulder.

Date: June 25, 2020 18:03

Erbissell, Margaret Trudeau sure seems like an unlikely Stones fan!! How about PRINCESS MARGARET'S relationship with Mick in the 70's! Their friendship lasted up until she died. As to worrying about " looking like a fool", Steffialicia, I doubt you would if you had been in my shoes ( heels! LOL). The worst thing that could happen, I think, happened to my girlfriend who was so dumbstruck that she became MUTE! I told myself as it was happening " don't talk TOO MUCH". I wanted to hear Mick's voice, not mine and by telling him a little about going shopping for him it became something amusing he could respond to. My BIGGEST regret is not being about to find a sexy gift...like a leopard sash or long scarf. Guess I had it in my head to buy that Union Jack. I told Mick it was to " wrap himself in" like he did in previous tours. What I'm really happy about as I look back is how friendly & welcoming he was...not trying to rush off. As a matter of fact, his bodyguard had to pull him towards the exit. Oh, and of course the other thought was how sad that I was not able to spend more time with him for perhaps some champagne and a longer visit. He did have a male companion with him at lunch and I didn't know him...he reminded me of tennis player Jimmy Connors. I later teased him in the elevator about being Mick's pal. He was a nice man. Do any of you think you know who he is?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 25, 2020 19:00

I was there, and like all other shows, I have a bunch of newspaper cuttings and stuff, deep down in my piles of travel stock. It will probably take a while until I get to that part. Great days in Montreal indeed!

Centre Molson - Montreal, Canada - Sunday April 19, 1998 (Show #1)

Centre Molson - Montreal, Canada - Monday April 20, 1998 (Show #2)

This was 22 years ago, feels so many shows have been performed since then really. I wrote under different names those days, this is parts of my "bv" report from the 2nd show:

"... I have been trying to grow up, not hanging around the hotel when the Stones leave. But again, tonight, I found myself just happening to be there, with about 50 other fans and others who just walked by. And within half an hour, I could say hello to Keith, Ronnie and Charlie, leaving in separate vans within ten minutes. Then a bit later, Mick comes out, not jumping into his car, but rather waiting a bit, does an extra pose to us stupid guys who never can get enough of the Stones, and then he smiles, waves, and off we go. ..."

Bjornulf

Date: June 25, 2020 19:47

Thanks so much, Bv for posting that! Those reviews are great reminders of those 2 amazing shows. I have newspaper clippings and tons of photos from those shows, including Mick in red t-shirt and sunglasses and his leaping about during JJF...I caught him in mid-air! I also captured the moment he spotted me and danced over to me, lifting up his red shirt! I didn't know you then but I was among the 50 or so fans that watched Mick get into his car...and I have a close-up of him next to Rowen, his burly bodyguard that I'd met a few times during those 2 days. He is a sweet man! One such parting ( Mick exiting the Hotel) was in the parking garage where I took the close-up...were you there too? Do you think you could have a photo of my meeting with Mick amongst your pile of clippings etc? You would be REWARDED!! I'm going to dig out my Montreal newspapers tonight and read through them, for old times sake! Thanks again for your reviews and input. It is most appreciated.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 25, 2020 20:03

Yes I was at the garage when they left through the back door. I remember it like it was yesterday, very few back there I think...

Bjornulf

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: June 25, 2020 21:28

erbissell
mickschix

I don't remember exactly but it came up in an article written in French, I was doing an image search with terms like stones, jagger, avril, quebec, montreal, le westin, restaurant, bar, 1998, ville-marie

When querying for anything Mick/Canada related it helps to exclude the terms "Margaret Trudeau" haha

Probably not the same night, as the Quebec concert took place on January 5th 1998. I was at the April 19th show at Molson Centre and got a guitar pick from Ronnie.

Date: June 26, 2020 00:48

Yes, Bjornulf, I got a tip from the Conceirge that the Stones were escaping through the garage so I flew downstairs in time. ( I had been tipping the Conceirge for info as to the whereabouts of the band. That's how I knew Mick was in the bar eating lunch that day! ) I have a framed photo of Mick & Rowan and I can see it from my computer desk. If you'd like a copy, email me and I'll send it to you. I take tons of photos during Stones outings. Did you also see them leaving the Weston on April 21st? THAT WAS COOL!!

Date: June 26, 2020 00:52

Yes, Daniel, that's right....but wait..the January shows were cancelled due to the ice storm...that's why they rescheduled to April 19 & 20, 1998.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 26, 2020 01:45

Unrelated to Montreal but in the same time frame: my most insane Rolling Stones trip was taking a Greyhound bus from Knoxville to Syracuse and back 24 hours each way without staying in a hotel room. Anyway, they were really on fire for these makeup dates coming back from South America.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-26 01:46 by tonyc.

Date: June 26, 2020 03:17

Yes, Tony, the Stones WERE on FIRE for these 2 shows...without a doubt 2 of the most energized performances I'd ever seen by them. And the first night ran 2 hours 20 minutes...with I think 22 songs. What I wouldn't give to go back to those dates! And your round trip bus ride shows you are a DIE-HARD FAN! Exhausting but worth it, I'm sure!

Date: June 26, 2020 04:26

mickschix
Yes, Tony, the Stones WERE on FIRE for these 2 shows...without a doubt 2 of the most energized performances I'd ever seen by them. And the first night ran 2 hours 20 minutes...with I think 22 songs. What I wouldn't give to go back to those dates! And your round trip bus ride shows you are a DIE-HARD FAN! Exhausting but worth it, I'm sure!

Somehow, it's always worth it.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: June 26, 2020 05:28

Yes always worth it! On 4th July 1972 a friend & me saw them at RFK stadium Wash. D.C. We tried to hitchike there from nj early that a.m. yeah right! But we did end up in manhattan & caught a bus. Somehow got there early. Great show-LOTS of fireworks & cops of course. Rowdy crowd-people trying to get on stage etc. didn't get home till next day. Stevie W. opened. Very much worth it as usual!

Date: June 26, 2020 06:40

Mrjones, 1972 Tour was my first time seeing the Stones LIVE!! Loved that tour! Mick Taylor's " Love In Vain", the jumpsuits Mick wore,and hearing cuts from EXILE!! It couldn't get any better! Oh, seeing Mick doing Midnight Rambler, smacking the stage with his belt as he slithered across it...WILD NIGHTS! Your connections sounded awful but as you said, always worth it!smileys with beer

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 26, 2020 16:29

steffialicia
mickschix

Somehow, it's always worth it.

Yes, definitely worth it!

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: June 30, 2020 18:44

I was there at the Weston back in 98. I was not at the bar though. Just curious what time were you a the bar with Mick?

Anyway, I went up to Montreal with a friend who was there on business, so I did not have pay for the room. We stayed at a different hotel. While my friend was working I had free time so I went to the Four Seasons where I thought they might be staying. No luck and then I went to the Weston. I got there early and I saw Stones security Jim Callahan there, so I knew I was in the right place.

I hung around and watched in the front of the Hotel when the "Touring party" came out. I said hi to Bobby Keys shook his hand, he was really friendly. Then everyone else like Lisa and Bernard got in the Van.

I raced around to the back to where the Stones came out and I took some pictures. I have them if anyone wants to see them my email is on my profile. I will text them to you. There is a picture of Keith with his body guard Joe Seabrook. And one of someone holding an umbrella for Mick as he goes into the Limo. Ronnie with a glass of Guiness. Charlie carrying what looks like a newspaper in plastic.

Just write Stones Montreal so I know its not junk mail.....smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home