Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman The Kings of Rhythm vols 1 - 4
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 13, 2020 23:51

Whats the thought on these four sets of four cds (vol 4 is actually 1 cd + 3 dvd)?

I think they are basically one previously released LP packaged with 3 other live or more obscure releases.

I am tempted to pick up all four along with Studio Time and Back to Basics (saw the latter referred to as the one he gets it together on) so any comments in reference to any or all of these would be welcome.

Any other Wyman releases that are worthy? I have his first two I think it is LPs, maybe three, but they never really did much for me. The Rhythm Kings have always intrigued me though but have yet to listen to any of their releases.

thanks!

jb

Re: Bill Wyman The Kings of Rhythm vols 1 - 4
Date: June 14, 2020 11:40

No takers?

I did a search here and came up with nada...no one knows these Rhythm Kings releases?

jb

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 14, 2020 12:18

New to me. But after picking up monkey grip and a few others I lost the appetite.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: June 14, 2020 13:34

All these releases are official ones!
If you haven't got any of the individual releases,
then these are the ones to get! You can't go wrong
with either of these four boxes for so little money!
You can find detailed information on discogs...

[www.discogs.com]

and don't let yourself be fooled by the "Bootleg" Kings
- it's all official stuff!

Studio Time and Back to Basics are also worth buying!

All these releases are quite different to Monkey Grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-14 13:42 by Norbert.

Date: June 14, 2020 19:44

Thank you both, yes Rhythm Kings are not at all like the Monkey Grip or Stone Alone or other actual "solo" releases, I have those from when they came out and never took much of a shine to them. But Rhythm Kings, the little I have heard I like. And actually one of the draws are those "bootleg" releases (I realize they are official).

So, like mentioned, it seems you cannot lose with the price of these so I think with that, I will order all four (seems like an overload though) although I would appreciate an opinion on ONE to buy if I could only buy one.

Thanks again, the info is much appreciated.

jb

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 14, 2020 19:52

Since they erased Bill from their history there is
no need to see or hear them again: [www.therhythmkingsuk.com]

Date: June 14, 2020 19:57

When they erased Wyman from their history, I pretty much erased them from my history. Until Blue and Lonesome that is. But they got a pretty big hole in them without a decent bass player and no, I don't think his replacement is a decent player or at least he doesn't get to play like one. Maybe its a "corporate" decision what and how he plays, in which case just makes me think less of the Rolling Stones. A rock band without a bass player? That's as bad as the Doors but at least they had Ray playing bass on his keyboard and D Luban in the studio for the first couple albums.

jb

jb

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 14, 2020 20:43

TooTough

You are too tough, TooTough.
You can't seriously mean "them" where you say "they". In fact, whenever Bill would (he won't though) decide he wants to rejoin "them" again, he is still very welcome. "They" didn't erase him from "their" history (and really, I think you know grinning smiley)
smileys with beer

Date: June 14, 2020 23:51

I am not sure where you get your info about "them" welcoming "him" back into the fold. That's sort of what he expected when he did attempt it, and then only got to play a couple songs per set, and rapidly decided he would rather not. I think "they" have more or less a vendetta against anyone who "abandons" them, regardless of circumstance and regardless of what "they" would do if the tables were turned. The Rolling Stones do not have a very good history with those they employ, they are known for that, using people up and then discarding them, and woe be onto whomever might quit and then reconsider, its just not done. That's what I gather anyhow.

jb

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 15, 2020 00:00

georgie48
TooTough

You are too tough, TooTough.
You can't seriously mean "them" where you say "they". In fact, whenever Bill would (he won't though) decide he wants to rejoin "them" again, he is still very welcome. "They" didn't erase him from "their" history (and really, I think you know grinning smiley)
smileys with beer

I really think it´s a mean thing:
"In 1996 a group of musicians were assembled to form a supergroup. Musicians
involved in this project were numerous and included many household names.
Players such as Peter Frampton, Graham Broad ,Gary Brooker, Geraint Watkins,
Andy Fairweather-Low, Mike Sanchez, Georgie Fame, Frank Mead ,Martin Taylor,
Nick Payn , Albert lee and Chris Stainton. The one female addition was Beverley
Skeete.Thus the Rhythm Kings were born."

I mean, it was Bill Wyman´s Rhythm Kings.

Date: June 15, 2020 00:16

jbwelda
I am not sure where you get your info about "them" welcoming "him" back into the fold. That's sort of what he expected when he did attempt it, and then only got to play a couple songs per set, and rapidly decided he would rather not. I think "they" have more or less a vendetta against anyone who "abandons" them, regardless of circumstance and regardless of what "they" would do if the tables were turned. The Rolling Stones do not have a very good history with those they employ, they are known for that, using people up and then discarding them, and woe be onto whomever might quit and then reconsider, its just not done. That's what I gather anyhow.

jb

When did Bill attempt to rejoin the Stones?
I hope you are not confused with him being invited (together with Mick Taylor) for their 50st Anniversary shows in the London O2 Arena. Bill said (afterwards) that he thought he would play a couple more songs than the two he did, but my feeling is that it was not even discussed. Mick Taylor (who had "abandoned" them) was even offered a part in the 14onFire Asian Tour, which he gladly accepted. So vendetta?
Off course I happen to know some cases where things went very wrong, and yes the Stones are very weary where it comes to being taken advantage of. You know what happened to them in the sixties for sure.
Talk for instance to Gered Mankowitz and he can tell you how he looks at the Stones these days. You may be surprised. I spoke with Mick Taylor ... vendetta?
The general problem is with people who are dumped one way or the other that they tend to tell one side of the story. I "digged" into some cases and got to know "the other side". The Stones are high up so easy targets. Nobody is perfect, but the Stones are quite okay here.

Date: June 15, 2020 00:45

"They", in this case, are the Rhythm Kings - Bill's band. They did indeed erase him from their bio.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2020 01:07

tried Back to Basics .... well recorded
but its Bill's talking style vocals that dont make it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 15, 2020 01:08

DandelionPowderman
"They", in this case, are the Rhythm Kings - Bill's band. They did indeed erase him from their bio.

Shame upon the Rhythm Kings. Why did they do that?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 15, 2020 01:09

All very confusing. I've no real idea what's going on.

There does seem to be a bit of an issue - which is very sad indeed. Anyone who has ever been to a Rhythm Kings concert - right from the first ones at the end of 1997 through to today - will know that the atmosphere there is one of good fun and conviviality. And the same sort of good humour is definitely carried through to the band backstage before and after a show.

If you dig on the web page mentioned [www.therhythmkingsuk.com] you will actually find evidence that Bill Wyman does have something to do with what's going on. I'm not going to say here what it is, but it's on the web site.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 15, 2020 02:51

First, thanks Georgie, everything you say is true. But the history is still there to some extent or another. But mostly as you say, they are up so high they are targets for every tom dick and harry. And things have no doubt evened out over the years. But stuff like leaving Sam Cutler to deal with the HA and not even returning his calls, those stories abounded back in the day they happened.

But now Dandelion, you say the Rhythm Kings erased Bill Wyman from their bio? Whoa, that is too much! Really...I guess I need to go back and read it again. Now are you sure like Bill didn't write the bio, and didn't want to be a publicity hound about it, and minimizes his role? Anyway if what you say is true, and I have to reason to think it is not, that's pretty rude.

Learn something everyday, going to have to look into this. Certainly Bill is using the name at least up to what I see as their latest releases.

jb

Date: June 15, 2020 02:57

OK so I just rechecked that link, I don't think I saw that before or at least didn't follow it, and darn if you aren't right! No mention of Bill Wyman, not even in the list of all the famous guest artists they have had sit in. That is hilarious! Maybe its not so hilarious to Bill though.

Heres what they have to say about their "new" bass player:

Greg Harewood is the new member of The Rhythm Kings and his versatility as a bass player keeps him in regular demand. His session and live work include - James Brown, Michael Bolton, Barry White, Van Morrison, Steve Earle, Phil Manzenera, Mariah Carey, Kirsty McColl, Eddie Reader, Brian Kennedy, Ronan Keating, Roachford, Soul to Soul, Boo Hewerdine, Cornel Abrahams, Dina Carroll, Alexander O’Neil, Eddie Grant, Freddie McGregor, David Lindley, Darden Smith, Mora Blanan, Adam F, Kid Creole , Mica Paris, Go West, and Martin Barre to name but a few.

Wow so that's all news to me. Thanks for pointing it out and apologies for not understanding what was being said.

jb

Date: June 15, 2020 11:33

First of all, my apologies for interpreting "they" wrongly. This thread is about Bill and The Rhythm Kings.
I read all the stuff on their site, saw Bill mentioned twice. It's all very strange to me.
Not mentioning Bill in the intro comes over as very un-English. It could very well be that Bill insisted not to be mentioned for whatever reason, but my goodness, Terry Taylor and Bill were business partners for decades, so him being the contact person, one would at least expect an explanation of some kind. Possible business problems are no excuse.
I'm pretty sure that if (and it will) this goes around in Stones fan circles, they will loose a lot of sympathy and as such audience.

Date: June 15, 2020 18:58

Yes I think there must be some component of Bill telling them: I am no longer in the band, I quit on my own choice (I am making this up but it makes sense) and therefore I would appreciate it you not trading excessively on my name. Best of luck and all but please do not mention me in your current writeups as I am not in the band and that is all history.

Or something like that. I had read he disbanded or quit the band but like Little Feat without Lowell George, they decided to continue on regardless but wanted a more or less fresh start, and so don't use him as an attraction, even second hand.

Its a shame really, wonder what Bill's true thoughts on this are?

Anyway I am about to order all four volumes of the Kings of Rhythm thanks to info I have picked up here.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home