Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Glyn Johns
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 10, 2020 10:48

Always knew GJ had “invented” this new way of recording drums, but never really understood how it works.

Now I do!

Interesting

[youtu.be]

C

Re: Glyn Johns
Date: June 10, 2020 11:01

liddas
Always knew GJ had “invented” this new way of recording drums, but never really understood how it works.

Now I do!

Interesting

[youtu.be]

C

That was the reason why The Eagles didn't wanna use him, after collaborating on one album smiling smiley

Henley wanted more sound from each drum, while Johns insisted on his overhead mic-ing. Interesting!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:45

Good information there. Thanks!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 10, 2020 15:31

DandelionPowderman
liddas

Now I do!

Interesting

[youtu.be]

C

That was the reason why The Eagles didn't wanna use him, after collaborating on one album smiling smiley

Henley wanted more sound from each drum, while Johns insisted on his overhead mic-ing. Interesting!

Among many other reasons.

Date: June 10, 2020 15:36

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
liddas

Now I do!

Interesting

[youtu.be]

C

That was the reason Henley gave in the docu, anyway.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:55

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
liddas

Now I do!

Interesting

[youtu.be]

C

That was the reason Henley gave in the docu, anyway.

Glyn Johns is a facilitator who wanted them to sound "natural" whereas Glenn Frey wanted to experiment in the studio more and "overproduce it", as Johns would say. So your comment goes along those lines.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 10, 2020 18:13

Glyn also said "The Eagles wanted to be a rock band, and they were not a very good one!"

He did produce "Best Of My Love" - country flavored and a big hit. He wanted them to continue in that style.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2020 17:54

Elmo Lewis
Glyn also said "The Eagles wanted to be a rock band, and they were not a very good one!"

He did produce "Best Of My Love" - country flavored and a big hit. He wanted them to continue in that style.

HA! That's for damn sure.

They have some good tunes and some fantastic musicianship, obviously Hotel California comes to mind - I don't know anyone that would call it rock music, though.

The Eagles.

I was at some "open mic" blues night and I sat in on drums for the last 5 songs or so (earlier Honky Tonk Women was done, because, you know, that's blues, I played guitar, tuned to open G and laid it out slow ala LOVE YOU LIVE and... FUUUUUUCCCCCCKK why bother!!!! it turned into 'yeah man, bar band rock, man' fast and stupid). The last song of the night the host said something I couldn't understand and then looked at me and said "Play fast!" and I thought, That's not informative.

He played Get Over It. I didn't know the song so I slaughtered it - it wasn't until half way through I figured out what song it was. I'd heard it once or twice on the radio or something and thought it was awful but never listened to it because it was - is - so bad.

Get Over It by The Eagles ain't blues and it sure isn't rock'n'roll: it's overproduced cheese.

I had a talk with some of the musicians there after and told them, This guy shouldn't be allowed back in here ever again.

I concur with Glyn Johns about The Eagles.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: June 12, 2020 03:48

GasLightStreet
Elmo Lewis

HA! That's for damn sure.

They have some good tunes and some fantastic musicianship, obviously Hotel California comes to mind - I don't know anyone that would call it rock music, though.

The Eagles.

I was at some "open mic" blues night and I sat in on drums for the last 5 songs or so (earlier Honky Tonk Women was done, because, you know, that's blues, I played guitar, tuned to open G and laid it out slow ala LOVE YOU LIVE and... FUUUUUUCCCCCCKK why bother!!!! it turned into 'yeah man, bar band rock, man' fast and stupid). The last song of the night the host said something I couldn't understand and then looked at me and said "Play fast!" and I thought, That's not informative.

He played Get Over It. I didn't know the song so I slaughtered it - it wasn't until half way through I figured out what song it was. I'd heard it once or twice on the radio or something and thought it was awful but never listened to it because it was - is - so bad.

Get Over It by The Eagles ain't blues and it sure isn't rock'n'roll: it's overproduced cheese.

I had a talk with some of the musicians there after and told them, This guy shouldn't be allowed back in here ever again.

I concur with Glyn Johns about The Eagles.

Super that you concur. This is old info anyway (Glyn Johns commentary) And does it matter about the rock point? Although, Life in the fast lane, Victim of Love, Already Gone,Hotel CA (and a few other) - don't meet my standard of "cheese"

They set a standard with their 71-75 G hits album that's rarely matched (after they split in '79-80) Just making the point that their level of greatness continues today, even if we can't sort out which genre bucket to place them in, although I thought the Rock Hall already addressed some of that.

And I'll humbly submit that Wild Horses and Dead Flowers are in my top level of favorites of Stones songs finding their way to their respective Rock songs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 12, 2020 11:55

Elmo Lewis

There's a Mike Millard (the king of tapers) recording of them playing a 1980 show in CA and it's horrific, bland, cold, dead, boring.
The audience loved it though! grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home