Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Creative rolls
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 09:59

Hi everybody,
the ongoing thread discussing the source of each song on 'Exile On Main St.' has made me realise that we'd better talk about creative rolls, instead.
Since when ALO and Brian Jones were not part of the team anymore, things changed a lot, in the studio. With Keith Richards leading the game, the group passed to a totally different way of approach to their recording sessions: very long hours spent in making many, many takes in search for an idea or inspiration, a lot of over-dubbing work and many, many unfinished songs in the cans.
Their first creative roll (1968-1970) was used for 'Begger's Banquet', Let It Bleed', 'Sticky Fingers' with some songs left for 'Exile On Main St.'
The second, and last, creative roll (1977/1979) gave us 'Some Girls', 'Emotional Rescue' and a few songs on 'Tattoo You'.
Coincidence or not, the first roll started - more or less - around the time Mick Taylor arrived and the second one when Ron Wood joined. At those times, going back to unfinished songs in the cans was not the way to fill gaps in inspiration, but the way to complete a good song that still missed the final touch (guitars, keyboards, proper lyrics). You opinion?
Bye, Luca

Re: Creative rolls
Date: June 11, 2020 10:43

1963luca0
Hi everybody,
the ongoing thread discussing the source of each song on 'Exile On Main St.' has made me realise that we'd better talk about creative rolls, instead.
Since when ALO and Brian Jones were not part of the team anymore, things changed a lot, in the studio. With Keith Richards leading the game, the group passed to a totally different way of approach to their recording sessions: very long hours spent in making many, many takes in search for an idea or inspiration, a lot of over-dubbing work and many, many unfinished songs in the cans.
Their first creative roll (1968-1970) was used for 'Begger's Banquet', Let It Bleed', 'Sticky Fingers' with some songs left for 'Exile On Main St.'
The second, and last, creative roll (1977/1979) gave us 'Some Girls', 'Emotional Rescue' and a few songs on 'Tattoo You'.
Coincidence or not, the first roll started - more or less - around the time Mick Taylor arrived and the second one when Ron Wood joined. At those times, going back to unfinished songs in the cans was not the way to fill gaps in inspiration, but the way to complete a good song that still missed the final touch (guitars, keyboards, proper lyrics). You opinion?
Bye, Luca

They were at their creative peak in the 60s, imo. There are songs from 1968/69 scattered on SF and Exile. I think they reached that peak even before Taylor joined, songwriting-wise.

And I think Keith lead the band from when he became the main songwriter, also when Andrew was at the helm, and when Brian was in the band. Probably from round 1965. We see signs of that musical leadership in the Charlie Is My Darling-movie.

The Pathe Marconi-period, when they recorded loads of songs, lasted through 1985, btw, as we can hear on boots from the Undercover and Dirty Work-sessions.

One of the reasons they changed working methods had to do with the band members living in different countries, hence they couldn't meet up as often and work like they used to, methinks.

EDIT: And I forgot about the Voodoo Lounge-sessions. The Voodoo Stew/Brew/residue-bootlegs document a vast and varied material with loads of songs. Another creative roll, I'd say (even though the songs they selected weren't the best ones, imo).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 11:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:03

Oh, man, was I fooled by the title of this thread. I thought it was about another baking show. Do any of the Stones bake?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:04

Lol
I thought we were talking Charlie drum rolls . .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:10

"you got to roll me....."

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:24

I recently read that Tattoo You was a leftovers album, with songs recorded b/w '72-'79/80 iirc.Good thread btw.

I also find that after '67s TSMR, some of the albums' combos of: outtakes/alternates/sessions/demos etc. are better than the studio album, or at least as good as. Black & Blue for instance & to a lesser degree Beggars Banquet. Emotional Rescue/GHS are = to, or slightly better than their outtakes/alternates etc, but it's close. Part of that is, that there's usually ~10-12 songs on the studio album vs. a lot more to choose from with the other stuff.

After UnderCover though, their music, aside from some B-sides & outtakes, really lost is luster. I wish that weren't the case...maybe in another 20 yrs I'll appreciate the post 1983 Stones work, if I'm still alive.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:28

DandelionPowderman
1963luca0
Hi everybody,
Bye, Luca

They were at their creative peak in the 60s, imo. There are songs from 1968/69 scattered on SF and Exile. I think they reached that peak even before Taylor joined, songwriting-wise.

And I think Keith lead the band from when he became the main songwriter, also when Andrew was at the helm, and when Brian was in the band. Probably from round 1965. We see signs of that musical leadership in the Charlie Is My Darling-movie.

The Pathe Marconi-period, when they recorded loads of songs, lasted through 1985, btw, as we can hear on boots from the Undercover and Dirty Work-sessions.

One of the reasons they changed working methods had to do with the band members living in different countries, hence they couldn't meet up as often and work like they used to, methinks.

EDIT: And I forgot about the Voodoo Lounge-sessions. The Voodoo Stew/Brew/residue-bootlegs document a vast and varied material with loads of songs. Another creative roll, I'd say (even though the songs they selected weren't the best ones, imo).

I agree with mr. Powderman here, except that I would stretch the creative peak a little bit into the early 70s.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 22:35

dmay
Oh, man, was I fooled by the title of this thread. I thought it was about another baking show. Do any of the Stones bake?
No..but they used to GET baked..

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 11, 2020 22:50

iraq0708
dmay

Was also hoping for recipes... grinning smiley

Date: June 11, 2020 22:54

Well Keith used to do a cooking show in the 70s, making shepherd's pie mainly, and Mick showed us his cuisine skills in his short video on how to stay active in this corona time...

Date: June 11, 2020 23:02

SomeTorontoGirl
iraq0708
dmay

For brownies?....the SPECIAL kind?!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 11, 2020 23:08

Roll over honey and lettuce on top .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 11, 2020 23:17

... it's these things... I mean... really ...winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 11, 2020 23:44

Date: June 12, 2020 00:07

I actually still have two packs of official rolling papers that I bought at a Stones gig years ago...can't imagine what I would use them for...smoking smiley

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: June 12, 2020 01:10

iraq0708
I actually still have two packs of official rolling papers that I bought at a Stones gig years ago...can't imagine what I would use them for...smoking smiley

April Fool's Day pranks & XMax/B-day gag gifts rolled with: Oregano/Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme.

or the medicine.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: June 12, 2020 08:06

A simple explanation, which some members might have already arrived at:

It should be "Creative roles", not "Creative rolls".

It got its 15 minutes of fame, had me going for a few moments as well. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 12, 2020 11:46

That thought crossed my mind too, but I'd interpret roll as in wave/change of course.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 12, 2020 13:52

iraq0708
SomeTorontoGirl
iraq0708
dmay

For brownies?....the SPECIAL kind?!

Would settle for Cinnamon Rolls. ‘Cause, as Keith pointed out, it’s all about the rrroll, baby! winking smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 12, 2020 15:38

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-13 14:45 by schillid.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 12, 2020 18:09

stonesman87

It got its 15 minutes of fame, had me going for a few moments as well. eye rolling smiley

I think 1963 meant it as "being on a roll, in a zone, etc."

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 12, 2020 19:20

Elmo Lewis
stonesman87

I think 1963 meant it as "being on a roll, in a zone, etc."

Yes, obviously. Referring to periods when they were on a creative roll. Not role.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home