Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Will Brown Sugar ever be played live again ?
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: June 10, 2020 13:58

One consequence of the BLM protests here in the UK is the removal of historical statues. I just read that HBO in the USA has removed Gone With The Wind from its streaming service.

I wonder if we will ever hear Brown Sugar played live by The Stones again, or indeed ever played on radio ?

I hope that never happens. It’s a great rock song. We could lose so much good music......Sweet Black Angel.....Black Limosine.

Re: Will Brown Sugar ever be played live again ?
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: June 10, 2020 13:59

Sweet Black Angel is in honor of the fight for racial justice, i believe.

Date: June 10, 2020 14:08

Why on earth would we lose Black Limousine? Someone misunderstood something here, I think grinning smiley

Date: June 10, 2020 14:20

You are both absolutely right of course but I fear a slippery slope may be starting.
For example, in the UK we are told that a traditional nursery rhyme Ba Ba Black Sheep is no longer acceptable and it is simply a rhyme about sheep !
All old BBC Top of the Pops clips that are shown have had Jimmy Saville edited out.....if they can’t edit him out we don’t get to see the clip.
I just hope we don’t get into the rediculous situation of having Brown Sugar edited out of all films of The Stones.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:28

I don't think anyone is arguing there is something inherently wrong with the word "black."
The issue with Baa Baa Black Sheep is about trying to decide what it means. Some say it refers to the slave trade. I have no idea, and not sure anyone does.
But we do know what Sweet Black Angel and Black Limousine are about, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Date: June 10, 2020 14:30

Big mouthed puritans with tiny minds will try to make this happen, I'm sure. If they can do that with Gone with the wind there's no end to it ...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:35

Kingbeebuzz

I wonder if we will ever hear Brown Sugar played live by The Stones again, or indeed ever played on radio ?

If there's now an issue with the lyrics they could alter them, e.g. like they did with 'Some Girls' (leaving out the black girls part) ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-10 14:45 by Irix.

Date: June 10, 2020 14:38

Irix
Kingbeebuzz

If there's now a issue with the lyrics they could alter them like they've done it with 'Some Girls' (leaving out the black girls part) ....

And with Under My Thumb on the 2017-2019 tours.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:42

Kingbeebuzz
One consequence of the BLM protests here in the UK is the removal of historical statues. I just read that HBO in the USA has removed Gone With The Wind from its streaming service.

Pretty scary this 1984-esque rewriting of the past..? confused smiley

I hope the band will play "Brown Sugar" till they retire.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:45

Irix
Kingbeebuzz

If there's now a issue with the lyrics they could alter them like they did it with 'Some Girls' (leaving out the black girls part) ....

They’ve already changed some of the lyrics to BS when performing it live many years ago. I imagine we could well now see further changes, especially to the 1st verse.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:52

dcba
Kingbeebuzz

Pretty scary this 1984-esque rewriting of the past..? confused smiley

I hope the band will play "Brown Sugar" till they retire.

Rewriting history is never a good idea. As the old saying goes, if you don’t know your own history, you are doomed to repeat it. It must always be acknowledged, good or bad. Judging the past by the standards of the present is just a bit silly. The past can’t be changed. Learn from the mistakes of the bad bits. Build on the good bits.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:56

If they replace it with another song, may I suggest Some Girls?!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 10, 2020 15:05

dcba

Pretty scary this 1984-esque rewriting of the past..?

The German Band 'Kraftwerk' rewrote in 1991 the lyrics for their 1975 Track 'Radioactivity' (Radioaktivität) because the original lyrics were considered by various parties to be too uncritical of the risks of nuclear energy.

Since 2012 they updated the lyrics of this Track again with 'Fukushima' - [www.YouTube.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-10 15:25 by Irix.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 10, 2020 15:26

Obviously it would be a good thing to change the lyrics in Brown Sugar and Some Girls. Not to change history, but to learn from it. Just as one doesn't want statues of Franco in Spain anymore.

And of course, it has nothing to do with Black Limousine or Paint It Black or whatever. Come on, that's just deliberately being silly to obfuscate the issue.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 10, 2020 16:03

I wish people would stop invoking 1984. In the book the past is rewritten and every believes, or at least pretends, the past always happened that way. That's not what's happening now. Tearing down statues of racists is, if anything, being more aware of the past.

Gone With The Wind isn't banned or unavailable it's just not on streaming platforms. If the Stones do stop playing BS then all our record, live albums and videos will all still be there.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 10, 2020 16:15

Guess I'm the only one that wants it played now with more "just like a black girl should."

So sick of everything going on. Yes, what is happening is terrible right now socially and the black lives matter is important, but we truly don't need to get rid of everything like Gone With The Wind and that stuff. It really is just too far. Honestly, if you're gonna do that, you truly should just burn the entire country down and start over cause thats really the only way you're gonna get what you want. The entire country is unfortunately built on racism and its always easier to banish something than to just face it and have it in life still. You'll never get real change with all the stuff we've done in the past (and I truly agree with those at the protests burning things down cause they're right, they have no reason not to) so either go for broke or stop banning this dumb shit. Grasping at things like Brown Sugar are beyond stupid unless you got rid of everything and that'll realistically never happen. So focus on the important stuff, which isn't Ba Ba Black Sheep.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 10, 2020 16:21

I think we're witnessing the removal of history or at the least heavy-duty airbrushing of it.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 10, 2020 16:26

ROLLINGSTONE
I think we're witnessing the removal of history or at the least heavy-duty airbrushing of it.

Thats definitely America's way. Airbrush it and pretend it never happened without confronting it. Without the realization that thats what's got us here in the first place. Thats never gonna fix the problem. Either address it head on, and in that process explain how there's some silly things that are getting banned, or its going to get worse and eventually the only way to truly fix the problem is to start this nation over. I didn't think I could hate this situation more, but the airbrushing the same way we've always done is only gonna make this problem fixed, for now, and then it'll pop up again in another 3 years. Same as it always does. It won't get fixed and thats wrong for everyone, but especially the marginalized group.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 10, 2020 16:28

I will just continue to treat people as I want to be treated.

Date: June 10, 2020 16:45

Well said Elmo

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 10, 2020 16:49

So do we have to re write history and white wash it ? The one has nothing to do with the other . Paramount Network just canned the long running Cops , due to what's going on .Will the rest of the entertainment industry run and hide and seek cover as well ?

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:07

Political correctness taken to the extreme..confused smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:14

Braincapers
I wish people would stop invoking 1984. In the book the past is rewritten and every believes, or at least pretends, the past always happened that way. That's not what's happening now. Tearing down statues of racists is, if anything, being more aware of the past.

No it's exactly the same thing. The only difference is people who do this think it's in the name of Rightness. They're the most dangerous kind of militants.

And if I understand you correctly, you have to destroy artefacts of the past to know it better??? eye rolling smiley Are you serious?

And where do you stop after you started cleaning the past? Burning books in the name of Rightness?

Date: June 10, 2020 17:15

TheGreek
So do we have to re write history and white wash it ? The one has nothing to do with the other . Paramount Network just canned the long running Cops , due to what's going on .Will the rest of the entertainment industry run and hide and seek cover as well ?

Yep, this is just the beginning and it’s going to get a lot worse. (Or better depending on your perspective)

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:17

zwarte piet mag ook al niet....

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:34

matxil
Obviously it would be a good thing to change the lyrics in Brown Sugar and Some Girls.

I'm against changing lyrics live (and on album, but that never happens post-release), unless it's for fun or to acknowledge a local city (for instance).

In any case, Jagger's already changed and removed certain Some Girl lyrics (on the No Security tour and at the Shine a Light/Beacon Theater taping, respectively)

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:36

Let's ban every single horror movie and nuke the whales to boot.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:39

The lyrics are subject to interpretation.

I bet your mamma was a tent show queen,
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen.

Your mother was a stripper in a travelling carnival in the United States. She used to sleep with underage boys.

That's actually real life.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 10, 2020 17:50

When this great song came out I never researched the lyrics. Brown Sugar had that groove and that's all that mattered to me. Who can honestly say they cared what this song meant......or Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice(another great misheard Stones song)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 10, 2020 18:01

dcba
Braincapers

No it's exactly the same thing. The only difference is people who do this think it's in the name of Rightness. They're the most dangerous kind of militants.

And if I understand you correctly, you have to destroy artefacts of the past to know it better??? eye rolling smiley Are you serious?

And where do you stop after you started cleaning the past? Burning books in the name of Rightness?

Remember when destroying statues was a Taliban thing?

Years ago I saw a documentary about the Soviet Union where they showed a before and after photo of a historic group pic in which Trotsky was removed after he fell out of favor and fled to Mexico. He was literally "airbrushed out of history."

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home