Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Saw Buddy Guy Last Night
Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 13:35

Hey folks - saw Buddy Guy at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney last night. The Enmore holds about 1600 I believe and was PACKED. The Stones playead there on the 40 Licks tour - and that was where Malcolm & Angus came out and played. Anyway...he absolutely blew the roof off the place. Jonny Lang was the support gig. I was very impressed with Jonny's playing particularly with the thinline tele, but his songs were a bit too much on the roll side for me...but bloody talented boy no doubt about it. Buddy came out and holy sh1t I couldn't get the smile off my face from the 1st note he played. I just got myself a '58 VOS Les Paul that is sitting under the bed waiting until I turn 40 in a month before I am allowed to play it..halfway through the 1st song I thought to myself "fvck...I shoulda got a strat..!!" Saw Buddy once before about 20 years ago, he had just as much energy as then and his playing was out of this world. And such a humble accessible guy, stuck round afterwards to sign cd's and pulled a 10 year old out of the crowd to jam. The kid wasn't particularly great (i.e. he is just starting out) but played a bit of rhythm and a nice little finish. He wasn't intimidated at all and now has the ultimate story to tell. Buddy was so encouraging and obviously really got a kick out of it. I would have preferred Buddy was looking to pick out a 40ish Uncle Fester lookalike and then I might have had a chance but it wasn't to be..but wow what a GIG!!!!

Re: OT Saw Buddy Guy Last Night
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 5, 2012 15:14

And the guy was born in 1936... And he crosses half the planet to play a club.

Mick Keith are you receiving?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:30

I am amazed by Buddy. I have all the discography and just bought the 24/96 files of "Dj play my blues".
"Blues singer" album has the best production ever made. It is amazing.

What is missing for me is to attend a live show. But unfortunately Buddy did not play in Paris for a long time I guess.

The performance during SHINE A LIGHT is something. I was glued in my seat when I saw the movie in HD at a big theater.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:10

Sounds like you really had a great time. Thanks for sharing

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:15

...This is one you should all run out for & get, imho:

..."Sweet Tea" (2001).
Buddy Guy stripped down to his Mississippi essence...

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: April 6, 2012 00:23

Thanks for the review. The Buddy Guy / Johnny Lang tour hits New Jersey in June, and I've scored 6 row tickets - very psyched!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 6, 2012 01:35

Buddy is God.

Drew

Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 8, 2012 12:23

Tnx!

TE
Oslo

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: April 19, 2012 19:08

I saw him 3 times actually and he stole the show each time. Twice for the Shine a Light Beacon shows and once for a Jimi Hendrix tribute, also at the Beacon. The Guy is a legend.

Posted by: Bruce ()
Date: April 19, 2012 20:14

Thank you very much for that report, champ72. Just ordered my tickets for Buddy's performance at this year's Montreux Jazz Festival (Switzerland) on July 7th! Can't wait!!!

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 19, 2012 21:52

I get starstruck when in his presence off-stage and the only way I can handle it now is to just let him be...give him his space and enjoy the moment. I'm just glad we are living in the same moment in time with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home