Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT:Will the pandemic put an end to the classic rock era?
Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 28, 2020 14:56

When I think about it I realize that this golden era of music we've all experienced may be coming to an end and it's completely disheartening! Our rock heroes are aging and we are likely not going to have any live concerts for possibly years let alone going out to see a good bar band. Live shows have always been the backbone of rock and without the exhilaration and atmosphere of live events both big and small I fear that that this beloved era of music is going to fade away...

Re: OT:Will the pandemic put an end to the classic rock era?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2020 15:51

"Every generation throws a hero up the pop charts". No, it won't. The records are still there. And Bruce and U2 may survive the pandemic and plan for just another tour.
People born later than 1979 won't morn any rock stars anyway. They have their own idols to look up to.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 28, 2020 19:50

Sure, maybe.

Or maybe not.

I'm not really sure why it should be decided now when none of us have any idea. I understand the idea for a conversation starter, but its a pretty morbid topic and I don't see how it helps anyone. Especially for everyone who knows zero.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: May 28, 2020 20:02

I have kind of wondered about this deal myself, considering the age of the performers, and the age of a lot of the fans that would want to attend the shows. I hate to say it, but it seems like the "old guard" may be running out of time to do any big live shows before an effective vaccine is developed and widely administered? How long until enough of those involved would feel safe enough to want to do it? I guess maybe there is a "Rock'n'Roll 2.0" version rolling out at some point, and what might that look like?

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 28, 2020 20:13

Rock is Dead

Date: May 28, 2020 20:26

Woz
Rock is Dead

That's too pessimistic.

Rocks Off 1972. Most recent upload by Kleermaker!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 28, 2020 20:36

This reminds me of the days post-9/11 when people were saying "humor is dead."

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 28, 2020 20:52

Stoneage
"Every generation throws a hero up the pop charts". No, it won't. The records are still there. And Bruce and U2 may survive the pandemic and plan for just another tour.
People born later than 1979 won't morn any rock stars anyway. They have their own idols to look up to.

Let's hope Bruce and U2 call it quits.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2020 21:17

MKjan
Stoneage

Why? Which big acts will be left then? Ed Sheeran?

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: May 28, 2020 21:19

I don't see music being a mover or shaker. Has not been a group out there to do it. Gary Clark Jr. yes.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 28, 2020 21:22

It depends on how long it takes to develop a vaccine. I doubt any band, young or old,will tour if they can't get insurance and fans won't risk going to shows.
Two concerts that I got refunds for are rescheduled: Alice Cooper is for late this year and ZZ Top is next April. We'll see if those still happen!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 28, 2020 21:28

ThePaleRider
When I think about it I realize that this golden era of music we've all experienced may be coming to an end and it's completely disheartening! Our rock heroes are aging and we are likely not going to have any live concerts for possibly years let alone going out to see a good bar band. Live shows have always been the backbone of rock and without the exhilaration and atmosphere of live events both big and small I fear that that this beloved era of music is going to fade away...

A similar thought crossed my mind. What with there being no mention here in Poland where I am currently living of a return to live music, even less of a mention of it in the UK where I have lived for the greater majority of my life, and heaven only knows what he States is thinking or doing on the subject of permitting live music events once more - what with COVID-19 statistics now supposedly being the worst in the wold ?

I am not sure if I can even further envisage a world in which the Rolling Stones will be touring/playing somewhere in some part of the part of globe ? A dreadful thought admittedly, but as time marches on - an inevitable one that will cross increasing numbers of peoples' minds I've no doubt ! I only hope the cancellation of the N American tour 2020 doesn't spell the end for them. Charlie is 79 on Tuesday 2nd June next week. Who in the hell knows whether live music will even be back in business next year, at this bloody rate !!??

Furking hell !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 28, 2020 21:36

Stoneage
MKjan
Stoneage

Why? Which big acts will be left then? Ed Sheeran?

By all means add Ed Sheeran to my list.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 29, 2020 01:16

Um, no it will not.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 29, 2020 02:07

Midnight Toker
Um, no it will not.

Right on. thumbs up

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 29, 2020 02:18

the 'classic rock era' ended in the 1980s it should be no pain or shame to admit to that

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 29, 2020 02:21

MKjan
Stoneage

thumbs up

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: May 29, 2020 02:38

MKjan
Stoneage

Yes, let’s hope two highly acclaimed and influential acts of the classic rock era end their careers as the result of a global pandemic. eye rolling smiley

Idiotic post.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 29, 2020 03:02

the classic rock era referred to will end anyway regardless of the pandemic, it might end quicker but i dont see the pandemic affect whats coming in the future.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 29, 2020 04:03

I thought the "classic" rock era ended a long time ago. I know it did for me. I got tired of being herded around like sheep in a big big pen where you cannot even see the stage unless you either spent a lot of money or had the nads to fight your way to a view. I started supporting small bands and small venues and then of course reggae music where you can basically stand next to your favorite artist and watch him (or her) work up close and personal.

As for the topic at hand, I think a lot of people think a lot of things that don't actually come about. I believe that in a year this will all be thought of as a debacle quickly disappearing in the rear view mirror. It looks bleak right now but it will all probably clear up in time. That's unless there are a continual wave of virus infections encircling the globe. That is much more the reality I see, and humanity will just get used to it and life will go on. The fact is, if you live somewhere like Africa or Asia, this sort of thing is pretty commonplace and people still go out and have fun. One difference is the litigious society we others live in and the threat of legal liability may be what kills it more than fear from actual people of actually getting infected. As it is, the death rate from 19 is pretty modest compared to truly dangerous strains of viri. It will become easier to ignore by the masses and the news media. You can see its already going that way, two months after the emergency.

jb

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: May 29, 2020 04:50

You guys are all talking rubbish, as long as there is a guitar an amp then you'll have rock n roll, right now a whole bunch of kids have gotten a lot better in the last few months, practicing diligently

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 29, 2020 05:25

The "Classic Rock Revival" era started in the mid 80s. So that's 35 years ago. When the pandemic is over you will see ever diminishing returns for the genre.

Perhaps some are like me. In the past 20 years I saw a few Rolling Stones concerts and just one other concert. I have no real desire to spend $300 to see a band I don't really care about. I was told lighters have been replaced by cell phone screens when the house lights go out.

It's truly amazing how some people have milked their 60s and 70s legacy and can still tour and make money to this day, minus the current interruption.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 29, 2020 09:02

SKILLS
You guys are all talking rubbish, as long as there is a guitar an amp then you'll have rock n roll, right now a whole bunch of kids have gotten a lot better in the last few months, practicing diligently

Correct answer.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 29, 2020 12:04

Has anyone ever found the term Classic Rock a little off-putting? It’s a little Dad Rock or Dinosaur Rock; and I’m saying this as a 36-year-old; not someone in their teens.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 29, 2020 12:39

Goodpoints jdwelda,

It is disheartening, and even though rationally concerts will be back, it is hard to see that among the irrational scenes here. The fear in the population at least in Ireland would lead you to believe the bubonic plague is rampaging outside. We collected our 6 year old daughters schoolbooks yesterday, the warning emails from the school and procedure to simply collect books was the most surreal thing I have witnessed.

I love live music, always have, and maybe in a year the world will have come to its senses and that horrid phrase "new normal" will not be how we are living our lives.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 29, 2020 15:31

Time is not on their sidesad smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 29, 2020 15:55

ROLLINGSTONE

Ain't that the truth ….

Worrying times, if one happens to be fatally addicted to Rolling Stones concerts that is. I should hate to think that the end of their live performances was brought about not by them, but by circumstances entirely out of their control …. it would be tragic !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 29, 2020 17:16

paulywaul
ROLLINGSTONE

Ain't that the truth ….

Worrying times, if one happens to be fatally addicted to Rolling Stones concerts that is. I should hate to think that the end of their live performances was brought about not by them, but by circumstances entirely out of their control …. it would be tragic !

I genuinely think we’ll come out of this sooner rather than later. It’s step-by-step, but we’re getting there. The mere idea of concert-going being a thing of the past is so preposterous to me. We must end this madness, now!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2020 17:20

Big Al
Has anyone ever found the term Classic Rock a little off-putting? It’s a little Dad Rock or Dinosaur Rock; and I’m saying this as a 36-year-old; not someone in their teens.

Kurt Cobain called it Vlassic Rawk.

It should be called Warhorses, because it's nothing but hit singles and certain LP tracks that people liked as recently as, what, 1981? There might be the odd tune from the mid-80s but generally it's 1960s and 70s music.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: May 29, 2020 17:44

The answer to that question is no.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home