Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Beast of Burden 8-track version in stereo
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 29, 2020 08:39

I know those old Some Girls 8-track mixes were already discussed in older threads (which I didn't want to relive), but I'm not sure if a stereo version of Beast of Burden was available before. On any case and according to the video description this one comes from another source. As it's one of their greatest songs it's always worth to hear it again. grinning smiley

Beast of Burden - 8-track stereo version

Re: Beast of Burden 8-track version in stereo
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 29, 2020 09:44

....now aint that a thing of beauty ....... thanks man

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: May 29, 2020 10:10

Thanks. Stereo versions are already available, for example on DAC-114.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 29, 2020 12:49

Cristiano Radtke
I know those old Some Girls 8-track mixes were already discussed in older threads (which I didn't want to relive), but I'm not sure if a stereo version of Beast of Burden was available before. On any case and according to the video description this one comes from another source. As it's one of their greatest songs it's always worth to hear it again. grinning smiley

Beast of Burden - 8-track stereo version

I've been trying for at least 15years, probably more, to get my hands on a workinf 8-track so that I could harvest that track, and check any others from my modest collection of8-tracks.

It's a continuous and never ending search. (Pun intended).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 29, 2020 13:53

Rockman
....now aint that a thing of beauty ....... thanks man

It sure is, truly wonderful.

As I type Beast is playing on Sucking in the 70s, even edits cannot harm the majesty of this track.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 29, 2020 14:07

majestic..yes....brilliant...one of their best ever.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 29, 2020 20:54

Great sound. The best yet of this gem!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 29, 2020 21:04

I guess I never realized it was in mono. Huh.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 30, 2020 01:07

way back i got carjacked. when they found the car, the thieves had left the 8 tracks, haha.

Date: May 30, 2020 01:11

...probably thought ...

Biggest god-damn cassettes they'd even seen ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 30, 2020 01:21

Rockman
...probably thought ...

Biggest god-damn cassettes they'd even seen ....

Hands down the strangest thing about 8-tracks was that in order to get the timings right dividing the album material into 4 almost equal sections, the song sequences were sometimes changed.

An album that you know well - eg Sgt pepper, Stones No 1, 2, etc - is very odd when you hear it out of sequence.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: May 30, 2020 01:39

Yeah Super Scruff had an 8 track in her car...

Just when ya'd be gettin into the groove
Ya Ya's would flip over half way thru certain tracks ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 30, 2020 05:36

this need to get "sides" near equal is what I was alluding to in another thread: often the edits were done at the tape production facility, completely apart from the record pressing plants, and often the employees took liberties with the source material to get it to fit on the 8 tracks with minimal wait time before the end of the tape due to one "side" being longer than the other three. Most of the edits to music are completely illegitimate to my mind, being made not by the Stones or their people but instead peons at the tape manufacturing place. That is direct from a friend of mine, a "peon" at a tape manufacturing place in New York state back during the seventies.

Also an 8-track is designed to self destruct very quickly, being made up of a continuous tape loop that would pull from the inside of the one reel in the package and lay the tape on the outside of the reel to be worked its way back to the center to be pulled and run by the play head again. Very stupid design for anything but planned obsolescence. And the players were much the same hair brained sort of design, that's why you do not find many still operating.

I had an earlier Lear deck that was 4 track before upgrading to the 8 track, back in like 1966 or something. At least they ran at 3 3/4 ips for some decent sound quality, although the crappy mastering of the tape pretty much defeated that improvement. By comparison, cassettes ran at 1 7/8 ips which partially explained their shoddy sound performance until they got upgraded to decent levels in future years, mostly through use of improved tape substrate and also the advent of Dolby B.

jb

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 30, 2020 19:13

So good! One of my favorite tunes of all time.

I saw it live once, at an indoor concert, as I recall, can't remember where or when.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 30, 2020 19:51

Found the 8 track in a headshop in New Orleans. Was not even on sale, just set as a decoration. After asking, well pleading , to sell it to me, the owner laughed and just gave it to me. Played it in my Opas old 70 Olds which had an 8 track player

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: May 30, 2020 20:50

amazing quality, thanxs

Posted by: okenny ()
Date: May 31, 2020 05:18

amazing quality
As a result of comparison with DAC114, the runtime is the same as adding 9 seconds, which is a blank before and after the video. As for sound quality, YT is clearly superior to DAC in high range and clearness. I have no choice but to expect more posts. Thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home