Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charles Bukowski: Jaggernaut
Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: May 16, 2020 21:04

Wild Horse On A Plastic Phallus

[bukowski.net]

Found this old issue today in a pile of magazines: CREEM Magazine, October 1975

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 21:04 by Librarian.

Re: Charles Bukowski: Jaggernaut
Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: May 16, 2020 21:15

Nice find.
Thank you.

Great description of getting one of "those guys" next to you at a Stones gig.

"The next bit began. The guy next to me started again. This guy rocked and bobbed and rocked and rolled and flickered and rotor-rooted and boggled no matter what was or wasn't. He knew and loved his music. An insect of the inner-beat. Each hit with him was the big hit. Selectivity was Non-comp with him. I always drew one of these.

To Bukowski
smileys with beer

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 16, 2020 22:32

I have to question whether he wrote the part where he cites each band member by name, or when he mentions a previous show at the Civic. (Maybe that was put in by an editor, or that information was provided by a friend?)

In his autobiographical short stories he's always listening to classical music, so I wouldn't think that he would have the Stones on his radar. (Same as most people in their 50's in 1975)

This came out the same year that Crawdaddy magazine sent William Burroughs to a Led Zeppelin show at the Forum. It's interesting to read the impressions of a group and the whole concert experience by someone whose viewpoint is that of an outsider.

One of my favorite Bukowski short stories is "Something About A Viet Cong Flag" from the book South Of No North. It's a devastating loss of innocence tale that speaks volumes in just a few pages.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 16, 2020 23:49

loog droog
I have to question whether he wrote the part where he cites each band member by name, or when he mentions a previous show at the Civic. (Maybe that was put in by an editor, or that information was provided by a friend?)

In his autobiographical short stories he's always listening to classical music.

I wouldn't think that he would have the Stones on his radar. (Same as most people in their 50's in 1975)

This came out the same year that Crawdaddy magazine sent William Burroughs to a Led Zeppelin show at the Forum. It's interesting to read the impressions of a group and the whole concert experience by someone whose viewpoint is that of an outsider.

One of my favorite Bukowski short stories is "Something About A Viet Cong Flag" from the book South Of No North. It's a devastating loss of innocence tale that speaks volumes in just a few pages.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 17, 2020 00:08

Yahoodi Menuin was given a courtesy ticket to a Stones '76 show.

His main reaction was that it relied (depended?) a lot on the audience.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 17, 2020 00:14

Blue Nun and canned Heineken.

Hard to imagine aworse combination.

Won't try.

Date: May 17, 2020 13:39

loog droog

In his autobiographical short stories he's always listening to classical music, so I wouldn't think that he would have the Stones on his radar. (Same as most people in their 50's in 1975)

Not always, but no question Bukowski preferred classical music to anything else (Mahler, for example), even to the songs of his youth that he liked to sing when he was drunk. However, Bukowski wasn't clueless and had quite a lot of young folks hanging around in the 70's, so he knew the newer stuff even if it wasn't his soundtrack when being alone or writing stories.

For example his later girlfriend and wife Linda Lee Beighle (born 1943) was a fan of Pete Townshend (through guru Meher Baba) and the Who so he was at their concert in the late 70's, and as he was befriended with Sean Penn in the 80's he knew his wife Madonna and later got in contact with Bono from U2, who presented him at one of his concerts. Still, as Bukowski concluded earlier, he found Beethoven much more satisfying to listen to than Mick Jagger. And I'm sure the same goes for Pete Townshend or Bono.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home