Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Unlikely favourite songs
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 2, 2020 17:04

There's few bands where my favourite songs by them, I realise are probably pretty unlikely choices for most people, for example............

1. Paul McCartney - Old Siam, Sir

2. Led Zeppelin - Hot dog

3. Bob Dylan - Brownsville girl

4. Bruce Springsteen - 57 channels

Anyone else have any unlikely choices?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 17:12 by EddieByword.

Re: OT - Unlikely favourite songs
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:08

I never really did understand how one could have "a favourite song" by an artist one really appreciate.
I could have a favourite song by some artist I didn't care much for though. Same thing with "favourite album".
Somebody asked me the other day what my "favourite colour" was.....I thought she was making a joke or something, but there was no pun !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 18:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:16

My favourite Dylan's albums are those from the 80s

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:23

I'm a sucker for bubblegum music and/or power pop.

The Monkees
Tommy James and the Shondells
Jackson 5
Raspberries

etc.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:40

There's two I can name right off the top of me head: Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" and the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive". The beat in these is great and if they don't get you up and dancing/moving, yo a** is surely draggin'. Turn them up.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:59

Funny, I was listening to Knocked Out Loaded last night and my girlfriend was less than impressed and I said wait till I flip the side and we get to Brownsville Girl.
Then when I did that and sat here loving it, she was equally unimpressed.
I love the 80s Dylan, probably because Knocked Out Loaded was my first Dylan album (a cassette) so I still love it.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:18

dmay
There's two I can name right off the top of me head: Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" and the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive".

Never was much of a Bee Gees fan, especially during their disco era.

But "STAYING ALIVE!"--as a phrase--has been my reply during the last few weeks while my wife and I--wearing our masks--go out and walk the dog and encounter people in the neighborhood who shout out across the street, "How you doing?"

Heard the song on the radio a few days ago, and the line in it, "You ain't going nowhere!" stood out for the first time,and now seems like the perfect summation of our current situation.

Date: May 2, 2020 19:21

Erik_Snow
I never really did understand how one could have "a favourite song" by an artist one really appreciate.
I could have a favourite song by some artist I didn't care much for though. Same thing with "favourite album".
Somebody asked me the other day what my "favourite colour" was.....I thought she was making a joke or something, but there was no pun !

It's just that when someone mentions Led Zep for example - Hot dog comes to mind first - and yes, I really do like it and more than that ie. Do I want to hear Black dog or Hot dog - Hot dog because it gives me the most enjoyment - even though allegedly, I "should" like Black dog...............

Actually, it's the same with the Stones - Apparently I should like the big 4 the most - anything else is sacrilege - actually, I play GHS, Black and blue and Undercover more.....so....

Single songs are a different matter though, Faraway eyes has been my number 1 but so has CYHMK, Street fighting man, Too much blood, Going home, Child of the moon, Out of control etc etc and so on............so, I get your point with the Stones

Date: May 2, 2020 19:23

ChrisL
Funny, I was listening to Knocked Out Loaded last night and my girlfriend was less than impressed and I said wait till I flip the side and we get to Brownsville Girl.
Then when I did that and sat here loving it, she was equally unimpressed.
I love the 80s Dylan, probably because Knocked Out Loaded was my first Dylan album (a cassette) so I still love it.

There you go....smileys with beer

LOL...........grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:25

KeithNacho

you've got a tight connection to my heart keithnacho.

Date: May 2, 2020 19:28

EddieByword
Erik_Snow

It's just that when someone mentions Led Zep for example - Hot dog comes to mind first - and yes, I really do like it and more than that ie. Do I want to hear Black dog or Hot dog - Hot dog because it gives me the most enjoyment - even though allegedly, I "should" like Black dog...............

Actually, it's the same with the Stones - Apparently I should like the big 4 the most - anything else is sacrilege - actually, I play GHS, Black and blue and Undercover more.....so....

Single songs are a different matter though, Faraway eyes has been my number 1 but so has CYHMK, Street fighting man, Too much blood, Going home, Child of the moon, Out of control etc etc and so on............so, I get your point with the Stones

Hot Dog has humour...Black Dog a bit self-indulged.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2020 21:00

Black Dog or Hot Dog - that is the question....

Answer: Black Dog for me as it's so much heavier, unique, and authentic vs. the faux retro vibe of Hot Dog which is also off their worst album.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 3, 2020 01:34

I thought that Presence was generally considered to be Led Zep's worst album, although I reserve that honour for Houses Of The Holy, myself.

I can't think of any unlikely favourite numbers by my favourite artists, there are some unlikely ones that I like, but to say that they are better than the more likely favourite songs, no. The opposite is true though: I'm not particularly fond of Wild Horses, Midnight Rambler, Street Fighting Man (Stones), or Down By The Seaside, Trampled Under Foot, In My Time Of Dying (Zeppelin).
There's a few unlikely favourites by other artists, artists that I would never listen to otherwise. Massive Attack's Unfinished Sympathy comes to mind, and Perfect Day by Lou Reed, off the top of my head.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 01:48 by SomeGuy.

Date: May 3, 2020 02:11

Houses Of The Holy is my favourite Zeppelin album smiling smiley

Date: May 3, 2020 02:29

Ut oh! winking smiley

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 3, 2020 02:36

John Cage: "4:33" (the heavy metal version) grinning smiley

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: May 3, 2020 12:00

Houses of the Holy is my favourite Zeppelin album also. Definitely in my all time top 10 records. I love all the seasonal/weather references throughout it.

Date: May 3, 2020 14:33

DandelionPowderman
Houses Of The Holy is my favourite Zeppelin album smiling smiley

Mine too

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 3, 2020 15:38

KeithNacho

That's a bold statement! grinning smiley

Otoh you could a make a really good EP with the (spare) gems Bob dropped through the 80's : "Solid Rock" "Every Grain of Sand" "I&I" "Jokerman" "When The Night..."

Hope you'll enjoy this one :
[www.youtube.com]

What's not to like here? Bob's in full "Brooooce" mode! grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 15:52 by dcba.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 3, 2020 16:14

Elmo Lewis

The Monkees
Jackson 5
Raspberries

etc.

thumbs up

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 3, 2020 22:34

Was just listening to Brownsville Girl the other day as I revisited that era. Such a great tune, co-written by Sam Shepard. Knocked out Loaded and Empire Burlesque are far more interesting than Down in the Groove or Under the Red Sky. Those latter two feel like he recorded 'em in the 41 minutes it takes to listen to 'em. -- Though I do like Silvio.

T@3

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 3, 2020 23:16

dmay
There's two I can name right off the top of me head: Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" and the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive". The beat in these is great and if they don't get you up and dancing/moving, yo a** is surely draggin'. Turn them up.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I think Turn Me Loose is Loverboy's biggest song. It was the first single off their first album and then Kid Is Hot Tonight was the second single. Loverboy was huge here in Canada and also was successful in the US, unlike some other popular Canadian bands at the time like Trooper, Prism or Triumph that didn't really achieve the big success in the states.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: May 4, 2020 00:28

Rolling Stones - Luxury. There I said it

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 4, 2020 01:39

"Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer

I admit it....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 4, 2020 05:15

Say My Name - Destiny’s Child

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 4, 2020 07:27

I too love Brownsville Girl. One of Bob’s most underrated songs. As is Is Your Love in Vain? off Street Legal. I just love the melody on that one... and the lyrics of course!

Rod

Date: May 4, 2020 15:49

Hairball

Answer: Black Dog for me as it's so much heavier, unique, and authentic vs. the faux retro vibe of Hot Dog which is also off their worst album.

In the Evening, Fool In The Rain, All My Love...come on man!

Date: May 4, 2020 19:18

treaclefingers
Hairball

.. not to mention I'm Gonna Crawl and Carousselambra (I'm convinced the guys of Rush had listened to this song when they wrote The Camera Eye off the Moving Pictures album).

Date: May 4, 2020 20:44

SomeGuy
treaclefingers
Hairball

.. not to mention I'm Gonna Crawl and Carousselambra (I'm convinced the guys of Rush had listened to this song when they wrote The Camera Eye off the Moving Pictures album).

Yes, I love In Through The Out Door, too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 4, 2020 21:17

Elmo Lewis

The Monkees
Jackson 5
Raspberries

etc.

Same here.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home