Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: for guitar players, what´s your favourite key?
Date: April 1, 2012 03:31

RnT
Open G of course ...like this...me on the tele ;-)

Man, I love this! I've played it a few times! You sound great (true)!

Date: April 1, 2012 06:12

Could you please give me the words and chords, so I can play it over here! Cheers!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 1, 2012 06:50

Bobby

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 1, 2012 20:41

RnT
Open G of course ...like this...me on the tele ;-)

Really good RnT. Quite impressive.

As for the original question, I have a bunch of guitars and I use different tunings. Any open tunings, I usually use that particular key. I'll sometimes capo my resonator which I tune to open G up to open A.

For the most part though, if I pick up a standard tuned guitar and I'm just picking around, I'll run through blues phrases in E or A normally. I also like a slow blues in C for whatever reason.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: April 2, 2012 15:46

Gold Coast Slave Ship
Could you please give me the words and chords, so I can play it over here! Cheers!

Thanks a lot Gold Coast! And you as well Tumblin_Dice!

Lyrics and chords are like this:

G
When I wake up girl
Em
I always look for you baby
C G
I want you to be around
G
When I wake up girl
Em
I wanna hear you say take me
C G
To where we can't be found

Am7 D7
And that’s all right with me girl
Am7 D G
I got ‘till Sunday night with you

C G
You make me believe in love at 1st sight
C G
I still believe in love at 1st sight
C G C D
I'm lost in stars

When I'm working girl
I think about you baby
Can't wait till I get home
When I'm working girl
I wanna hear your voice baby
I call you on the phone
to tell how much I miss you
need to feel your touch
You know I do

(Every day)
(When you look my way)
I'm lost in stars

Solo
G D Em D C G D
G D Em D C G D

I wanna tell how much I miss you
need to feel your touch
You know I do

I'm lost in stars

The main riff is open G, while shifting from b to a and back on the g string (yhe 3rd string) and then adjusting d and c on the b string.

If you like this one, you may as well like some other open G songs like these:

[www.youtube.com]

There are more to be found on youtube. Thanks again for your positive words.

RnT

Date: April 2, 2012 16:18

A and G

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2012 22:52

G - open or otherwise

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 3, 2012 11:00

This thread may explain why there are so few songs in F...

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 3, 2012 18:41

Svartmer

Funny that , if we get a request for it , we do happy birthday in F

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 4, 2012 07:05

71Tele
Naturalust
Hey Tele,Munichhilton and RnT, hate to tell ya but Open G and open D are not keys, they are tunings as I'm sure you know. I often play with those tunings too but how often do you play a tune in the key of D for instance using an open G tuning? That can get kinda fun.

Of course open G with a capo on the 4th (key of cool smiley always gets me too.

I'm surprised no answers using minor keys. I'm guessing some of you are playing in the key of Em when you are saying E.

Here one in the key of E, it's not 4/4 time signature throughout which is probably why I still like it. Just two tracks of acoustic guitar in standard tuning. peace

Well, I hate to tell you, Naturalust, that "G" is indeed a key, and "open" is the tuning. It's still the key of G (until you capo it, of course).

As you like to say, peace.

Why say "open" then? To me open means the key the guitar is tuned to when strummed across all 6 strings without any fretting (fingers or capos). The question in the title is what key. I can play in the key of G with an open D tuning for instance. Again, why add open if they meant to answer the question about key.
That's how I think of it anyway, probably pretty universally. No? peace

peace

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 4, 2012 08:37

Svartmer

I read 'John Wesley Harding'-album has a lot of F-key songs on it...haven't checked it out since I play almost everything in C....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 4, 2012 14:41

My voice suits C but when riffing I play almost exclusively in E, B and A. Then if I tune it down in D and G so all in all all keys are played. And then when I usually start hummin All About You it's all F and then I get from there to Bb and Little T & A & start chasin'...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 4, 2012 19:33

I'm not sure if I have a favorite key per se but there are certain things that get played very quickly after I pick up an anstrument...

If you hand me a 12 string, I'm going to play a standard G chord as I love the sound and I'll know instantly if the guitar is in tune.

Hand me an electric & I'm going to play a variation of the "Smokestack Lightnin'" riff in E for the same reasons as above.

Hand me a bass and out comes the pentatonic portion of the Pink Panther melody followed by some random pentatonic "noodling" in whatever key my hand lands in. Sometimes it's the octave riff from "Before You Accuse Me"/"Tore Down" any key is fine.

While I do enjoy the options that are made available by being in certain keys - having a lower iii chord happens for the first time in C - open string root I,IV,V chords in A & D - I don't know that any are actually my favorite. After years of band hopping, subbing & session work, I find myself thinking in numbers (scale degrees) far more than letters.

Looking back to when I was in school, I mainly practiced scales out of G and my professor seemed to like to "jam" in Bb so those may be tops on a favorites list. Thinking back to all the scale drills I had to run, I always thought locrian was fun so maybe the answer to the original poster's question would be G Locrian/Ab Major?

This question shouldn't be this hard...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 5, 2012 07:21

So Ab then Mr DJA?

What about G# Major? What's your soul scale mode for that key? peace

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 5, 2012 10:10

Naturalust
So Ab then Mr DJA?

G# Major contains an F double sharp.

Thank God we have 12 keys: same compositions/songs always have another feel in different keys.

Chords are hidden in all kinds of scales/keys. This is a funny read, partly about chords and colors (Fripp and McLaughlin):

[www.elephant-talk.com]

Date: April 5, 2012 18:32

Naturalust
So Ab then Mr DJA?

Amsterdamned got my answer for me. Besides the F double sharp, the B sharp and E sharps are a pain in the hemmoroids as well. I'll take A flat's 4 flats over G sharp's 7 sharps any day! Same reason Db better than C#.

Haven't heard the term "Soul Scale Mode" before & thus am not sure how to answer that part of the question. To be safe, I'll quote one of my former keyboard players, "I just try to avoid the death notes".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:06

It all depends on the song and the tuning. In standard tuning, for rock and roll songs that need bar chords, etc, I like E, A, & B. In open G, it doesn't matter. You can capo to where you want and trash away. For country songs, I like standard tuning in G, C or D playing chords close to the nut. Then again, you can also capo up and play as if you're in G, C or D.

Date: April 5, 2012 19:45

mr_dja

To be safe, I'll quote one of my former keyboard players, "I just try to avoid the death notes".

Peace,
Mr DJA

WHoo Haaha That pretty much sums it up for me too. Or if they do show up somehow, show 'em the door with a flurry of sweet notes or a short reappearance with some proper indroduction and seeya later notes.

Sometimes a single bad note is great because it
1.Brings the listener into the song. "Hey this is a mistake" , or "Hey here's a human thing"
2. Makes the player (me anyway) churn out some of the best available notes as the song permits, in order to disguise the presence of that one bad note and encourage forgetfullness.

I sometimes tell guys in my project, "No worries with a bad note, just make sure the next couple hundred are perfect cause you'll have everyone's ear!"

soul scale mode- The mode of the major scale that your soul asks for most. Your favorite mode for soloing. ie) dorian, etc.

lol peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 19:51 by Naturalust.

Date: April 5, 2012 21:48

Naturalust -> Either great minds think alike or we're all equally derranged because this time YOU picked my answer. LOVE soloing in Dorian. "Pentatonic Plus" as I like to think of it! If I have a "soul scale", that's it! I got a drum machine a few years back with some preprogrammed "tracks" & one was nothing but a I9 to bVII9 R&B groove. I can't tell you how many hours of my life were spent vamping a Dorian solo over that progression! Back when I was trying to learn more about/on guitar (I'm actually a bass player first) I used to have to set an alarm clock for midnight to remind myself to quit playing and go to bed as those guys in the machine would go all night if I didn't press stop! Fun problem to have actually!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 5, 2012 21:57

Twin souls of different mothers perhaps. Nice! My story of time with Mr. Dorian would read similarly but it was usually the sun streaming through the windows that woke me out of my modal trance.

I take it you are still playing Mr. D? Anywhere close to the SF Bay area? I was thinking a short and joyful collaboration might be in order. I and I. peace

Date: April 5, 2012 22:43

Yup... Still playing... Would love to colaborate sometime but unfortunately it will have to wait until I can get west or you can come east... I'm in Knoxville, TN and not nearly comuter savvy enough to contemplate working in cyberspace! Finishing out the day job work week today. I'll be in the recording studio for a friend tomorrow morning, on stage at a jazz club tomorrow night (only Jazz on the weeknights, we're more of a rock band), teaching @ a music store on Saturday morning & then I think I'm actually off on Saturday night.

Peace
I&I

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: April 6, 2012 07:59

Date: April 6, 2012 08:01

More of my favorite keys:

The Key to the Highway (Derek and the Dominoes live version)

The Key to the Red House (over yonder way back acrooss the hills)

The Key of Life (and all the Songs from the Key of Life)

The Key to my babies heart(s) (all of 'em of course)

The Key to my safety deposit box (in the lit'l ole bank way over yonder across the hills)

peace

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home