Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: London 1967 - The Other Underground
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 29, 2020 18:48

What a mind trip in this blast from the past. Per the blog "The London scene of 1967 was arguably the most exciting in the world at that time." Was it? Anyone here at IORR part of it?

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Re: OT: London 1967 - The Other Underground
Date: April 30, 2020 13:23

That goes far back. I can't say I was around yet in those times.

Not meaning to shift this thread into another direction, but in a similar vein 10 years later is a topic I been thinking about : the Stiff Tours. I was thinking on the big four artists to emerge from there. What a haul. Costello, Nick Lowe, Ian Dury and Wreckless Eric. Reason I was thinking about the tour, is because I watched the film, and it made me go and re-listen to all Wreckless Eric albums.He is my new craze.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: April 30, 2020 13:57

funny that you mention the stiff tour, Costello, Lowe, Dury and Wreckless Eric, as I am actually reading "Cruel to be kind -the life and music of Nick Lowe" by Will Birch, so that all this London-seventies-stuff is actually very present for me. Read that book, if you want to dig into this time in London. And don't forget to relisten to Graham Parker ...

Resotele

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 30, 2020 14:15

1967 was so much more. The Beatles and Pink Floyd (the latter hardly known at the Continent (so to speak)) were merely, just like The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Animals, etc. etc., a part of a temporary mentality change among young people. Also the fashion world was immediately ready to respond on it. Flower Power was "the key word".
I was lucky to spend some time in London in the summer of 1967, living in a big room in Earls Court ... with thirteen other young people on a huge pot of English Stew, and the atmosphere was very special. A great mix of "flower boys and girls" walking around in very colourfull clothes, decorated with real and plastic flowers, not to forget the girls in miniskirts, but also still those "classic" men in black suits, umbrella and bolar hat. Carnaby Street was packed with people every day and there were many, many visitors from other countries (also lots of Americans).
But how quickly things can change. 1968 "street revolutions" around the world, 1969 London totally out of fashion (I was there again) and Amsterdam was THE place to be ... Soon the roaring 60s were over ...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 30, 2020 15:17

dmay
What a mind trip in this blast from the past. Per the blog "The London scene of 1967 was arguably the most exciting in the world at that time." Was it? Anyone here at IORR part of it?

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Like georgie48 I was there as well.

One thing I can tell you was that it was a bazillion times more interesting & fun than the film linked to in the article quoted. That was a load of old Sex Pistols!

In reality, as georgie48 writes, it really was exciting. I had a summer job from university doing some (strange) research. We were based near Notting Hill Gate tube station, so Biba was just down the road a bit.

It truly was colourful. By that time Sgt Pepper had been released and it literally was playing just about everywhere you went. The clothes really were everything that you see in the films - think Blow Up. And Twiggy was a godess.

Sigh!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 30, 2020 16:54

Those were fast times indeed. How things changed from year to year is refleced by The Nice`s first three albums. At first, in `67 there was psychedelia, then in `68 came the first signs of prog. In `69 a very open, jazz-friendly spirit appeared with their "sepia-tinged" (red brown) album cover, just like a photo album, not very unlike in spirit to the cover of Led Zeppelin 2, and the soon to be released CNS&Y`s Dejà Vû. -And didn`t The Band have a cover (Rock of Ages) in the same vein?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home