Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 27, 2012 21:32

So when I spoke with Kiss and Crue last week, I videotaped part of our discussion as it applied to the RRHOF - now, I think the place is a total joke - and I think these two bands have every right to expect induction - what are your thoughts? Flawed as it is - are these two bands deserving? (why Eric Singer snipes at Patti Smith I have no clue- Paul Stanley did the same thing later in the day)

[www.noisecreep.com]

Re: OT - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 27, 2012 21:59

I can't stand either nband for more than a half second, but many people like them. They should probably have been in a while ago.

RUSH should be in there too.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 27, 2012 22:31

I think RUSH is the most glaring omission, actually

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 22:41

Munichhilton

I'm not a big Rush fan. I don't dislike them, but I don't like them well enough to own any album other than their greatest hits, which rarely gets spun. But I don't understand why they aren't inducted. And it's probably the biggest case of snubbing that I know of. Whenever I see/hear anything questioning the validity of the RRHOF, Rush is usually the example used as the top argument.

How Bonnie Rait, Blondie, Grandmaster Flash, Guns N' Roses, and Sex Pistols (I know they were influential, but only made 1 album) are in there and not Rush, is beyond me. Even though I'd rather listen to most of those acts (except Bonnie Rait) than Rush, I can take my own personal taste out of the equation and see that Rush is probably much more deserving.

I don't know if they'll ever be inducted though. Because to do so now would sort of be admitting fault and validating what people have been saying. I imagine they'll probably stick to their guns rather than admit being wrong.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 27, 2012 22:47

I wonder if it is the same with the other "Halls of fame"; people complaining that this person is in and not that one. There are just a few inductees every year. Kiss and Motley are heavy rock and rollers so they look down on Patti Smith because she doesn't rock like they do. Personally I don't mind Smith to be in, she has been dedicated to rock and roll music for a long time and with a true heart of rock and roll.
That dude with the silly paint on his face should chill out and keep playing his Mickeymouse type of rock until he eventually gets inducted.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 27, 2012 22:47

Yes
Rush
Joe Jackson
Boston

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 27, 2012 22:49

How can Jim Croce not be in the hall of fame when you consider he was just "hitting his stride" when he unfortunately died in a plane crash. All of
his hits were within a year of his death (either right before he died or released shortly after his death). With lots of chart hits in a short time period we can only wonder what he would have become had he lived.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-27 22:52 by FrankM.

Date: March 27, 2012 22:54

hbwriter

I think so too.
Who doesn't know the words to "Tom Sawyer"?
Several extremely successful American tours as well, including last year.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 27, 2012 22:57

Moody Blues and yes indeed Jim Croce. Don't forget Chicago and The Guess Who. Also Deep Purple
Why would Motley Crue be in there? In face why would any band from the 80's be in there.

Date: March 27, 2012 23:00

NoCode0680
Munichhilton

I'm not a big Rush fan. I don't dislike them, but I don't like them well enough to own any album other than their greatest hits, which rarely gets spun. But I don't understand why they aren't inducted. And it's probably the biggest case of snubbing that I know of. Whenever I see/hear anything questioning the validity of the RRHOF, Rush is usually the example used as the top argument.

I am a big admirer of RUSH....maybe not a fan, but I do love to toss them on now and then. I don't know if they have had anything to do with being snubbed, but they have made it publicly known on many occasions that they truly couldn't care less about the hall of fame or its content.

Kiss is a big mystery too.
Maybe the tribal HOF elders see them as campy glam rock?

I guess that means GWAR is right out!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 27, 2012 23:03

I said it before, on the 15 previous identical threads, Ill say it again...

This place is unworthy of anyone's, outside of Cleveland, attention.
It is NOT a legit RNRHOF, it is simply a tourist attraction in Clevelend....

But I am sure there will be (another) 90-150 posts saying the same things over and over and over, that have been said 1000 times before on IORR on the same subject.. Time would be equally well spent(wasted) discussing the tourist attractions in Branson Missouri* or the Cleveland Indians or the draft picks of the Cleveland Browns or who is going to be Mayor of Cleveland..

This thing is Clevelend is good in theory but is all wrong in fact.

*please nobody start a Branson Missouri thread, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-27 23:04 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 27, 2012 23:10

Max'sKansasCity

I have a good story about a road trip in college in which we passed through Branson, and due to events I don't remember we somehow found ourselves incredibly high at the Mel Tillis Theater, watching Mel perform.

It may have been the drugs, but Mel was on fire that night.

Date: March 27, 2012 23:14

NoCode0680
Max'sKansasCity

I have a good story about a road trip in college in which we passed through Branson, and due to events I don't remember we somehow found ourselves incredibly high at the Mel Tillis Theater, watching Mel perform.

That that sounds interesting tell us more...

Date: March 27, 2012 23:22

Max'sKansasCity
NoCode0680
Max'sKansasCity

That that sounds interesting tell us more...

It's all a bit hazy to be honest. Partly because of the drugs, and partly because it was over a decade ago. We were only in Branson for one night, and the whole thing is a blur, and the only thing I really remember is being at the show and laughing my ass off. When we left the next day I had a receipt for a Go-Kart track, one of those old-timey photos of us dressed as cowboys (really high cowboys) and a ticket to the Mel Tillis Theater. I think we actually saw Mel in the lobby. I don't think he talked to us, I think we saw him talking to an elderly woman.

I had never heard of Mel prior to that, and I can't tell you what he sang, I just remember him telling a bunch of stories which may or may not have been funny, but we were laughing our asses off.

Date: March 27, 2012 23:28

NoCode0680
It's all a bit hazy to be honest. Partly because of the drugs, and partly because it was over a decade ago. We were only in Branson for one night, and the whole thing is a blur, and the only thing I really remember is being at the show and laughing my ass off. When we left the next day I had a receipt for a Go-Kart track, one of those old-timey photos of us dressed as cowboys (really high cowboys) and a ticket to the Mel Tillis Theater. I think we actually saw Mel in the lobby. I don't think he talked to us, I think we saw him talking to an elderly woman.

I had never heard of Mel prior to that, and I can't tell you what he sang, I just remember him telling a bunch of stories which may or may not have been funny, but we were laughing our asses off.

Dude!!! I totally saw that movie!!! Sweet!!

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 23:39

hbwriter

Absolutely. Rush, New York Dolls, Kiss, Priest...did Neil Diamind ever make it?

THey're too bust trying to get Hip Hop acts in there.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:00

What about KRAFTWERK?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:23

I personally don't think Kiss or Motley Crue should be in the Hall of Fame, can't believe Rush isn't in there already.

I was at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame last week when I was in Cleveland to see the Black Keys.. what a waste of money. I can't believe what a joke it is. Maybe a few cool things, but only a few and not worth 20 something bucks. Not to mention the place was like a day camp with kids running around screaming.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:51

I just looked at the Hall of Fame website.

Without mentioning names, if those guys are in there, then these guys should be:

Tommy James & The Shondells
Blue Oyster Cult
Albert King

In my humble opinion.

I did see that Freddie King has been selected, thank you God.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:15

Why is it that folks who most argue that they either find the RNRHOF to be a complete joke or just don't care are the same ones testifying the heartiest about its inductees or lack thereof (and most frequently)? Either you really care and take it seriously or you don't.

I'm happy when a band I like makes it in (e.g., Faces) for their benefit, but I can't really work up a sweat about the issue one way or the other.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:33

If you have to ask why you're not in The Hall, then you don't belong there.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:37

Munichhilton
hbwriter

I think so too.

Not a fan of that song, and I don't know all the lyrics either; always change the station.

But I do like Spirit of Radio though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:43

SweetThing
Munichhilton
hbwriter

I think so too.

Not a fan of that song, and I don't know all the lyrics either; always change the station.

But I do like Spirit of Radio though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Is it because they are Canadian maybe? Ugly?

I vote they should be voted in regardless but I think that's because I'm generally a nice person.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:57

The RARHOF lost all legitimacy when it admitted non rock and rollers like Madonna, especially admitting her prior to Iggy and the Stooges. What a joke. If there was a real and authentic RARHOF I do not think Motley Crue should be in. They did nothing original that hadn't been done before. While I loath KISS they should be in as they were, along with Cooper and a bunch of other early 70's artists the beginning of theatrical rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-28 05:19 by whitem8.

Date: March 28, 2012 05:08

..... ""I do not think Motley Crue should be in. They did nothing original that hadn't been done before, had little commercial success, and appeal or popularity""....

Yeah.... Mötley Crüe only sold 80 million albums worldwide, with such limited sales how could they possibly be considered for any HOF?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-28 05:09 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:08

Rush is prog rock. The Hall don't like prog rock.

Date: March 28, 2012 05:13

Max'sKansasCity
..... ""I do not think Motley Crue should be in. They did nothing original that hadn't been done before, had little commercial success, and appeal or popularity""....

Yeah.... Mötley Crüe only sold 80 million albums worldwide, with such limited sales how could they possibly be considered for any HOF?

Based strictly on commercial success, and 'rocking ring tones', I think the i-phone should be inducted!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-28 05:21 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:19

Max'sKansasCity

Ok, yeah, that wasn't written as well as it should have been. I apologize for that miss information. But I do think they didn't do anything new or original that would merit them in a real RARHOF. Plus they are absolutely horrid!

Date: March 28, 2012 05:23

whitem8
Max'sKansasCity

Ok, yeah, that wasn't written as well as it should have been. I apologize for that miss information. But I do think they didn't do anything new or original that would merit them in a real RARHOF. Plus they are absolutely horrid!

I get this uncomfortable feeling Max may actually like them...

Date: March 28, 2012 05:28

whitem8
Max'sKansasCity

Mötley Crüe is more legit than this sham that calls itself a RNRHOF. I think it is fine if you hate Mötley Crüe, but there is no sense saying they did not, and still do, have wide appeal.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home