Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Selected Compilations-Talk – METAMORPHOSIS
Date: July 7, 2016 11:34

METAMORPHOSIS

Released: 6 June 1975
Recorded: February 1964 – July 1970
Length: 48:03
Label: ABKCO
Producers: Andrew Loog Oldham and Jimmy Miller

TRACKLIST:

Side one:

"Out of Time" – 3:22
"Don't Lie to Me" (Hudson Whittaker) – 2:00
"Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind" – 2:25
"Each and Everyday of the Year" – 2:48
"Heart of Stone" – 3:47
"I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys" (Andrew Loog Oldham, Keith Richards) – 2:11
"(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City" – 2:51
"We're Wastin' Time" – 2:42
"Try a Little Harder" – 2:17

Side two:

"I Don't Know Why" (Stevie Wonder, Paul Riser, Don Hunter, Lula Hardaway) – 3:01
"If You Let Me" – 3:17
"Jiving Sister Fanny" – 2:45
"Downtown Suzie" (Bill Wyman) – 3:52
"Family" – 4:05
"Memo from Turner" – 2:45
"I'm Going Down" – 2:52

What are your thoughts on this compilation?

Re: Selected Compilations-Talk – METAMORPHOSIS
Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 7, 2016 12:24

Side 1 is pretty weak other than Don't Lie To Me. Side 2 is better. I especially like Jiving Sister Fanny, I'm Going Down, Memo From Turner and I Don't Know Why.

Date: July 7, 2016 12:32

I think all the tracks on side 2 are very good. If You Let Me is great. I'm Going Down starts out nice, but isn't really going anywhere.

Don't Lie To Me is an old favourite. They did a nice live version of that track in Texas 1972.

Mick Taylor plays beautifully on I Don't Know Why (the solo is looped, though) and Jiving Sister Fanny. They are the only tracks where he is featured, I believe? Maybe he plays bass on I'm Going Down, as some sources say?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-07 12:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 7, 2016 12:33

Did anybody ever figure out why "Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind" and "We're Wastin' Time". weren't included on the original American release?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 7, 2016 12:40

I've always quite liked that loose version of Heart of Stone .

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 7, 2016 13:04

DandelionPowderman
I think all the tracks on side 2 are very good. If You Let Me is great. I'm Going Down starts out nice, but isn't really going anywhere.

Don't Lie To Me is an old favourite. They did a nice live version of that track in Texas 1972.

Mick Taylor plays beautifully on I Don't Know Why (the solo is looped, though) and Jiving Sister Fanny. They are the only tracks where he is featured, I believe? Maybe he plays bass on I'm Going Down, as some sources say?

That's pretty much what I think about this album. Plus, I really love the Out Of Time version. Maybe because I always loved Chris Farlowe's version and often wondered how it would sound with Mick's lead vocals since it came out - and by 1975, I finally got it!

It could have been a much better album without the majority of tracks on side 1, the "pop demos" for other artists. With some more Chess material, maybe. But ABKCO was keen on having as much Jagger/Richards originals on the album as possible, so financial aspects won over artistic content as outlined in Wyman's Black Box compilation. But still, they could have included I Can See It aka Get Yourself Together or Pay Your Dues.

Date: July 7, 2016 13:12

alimente
DandelionPowderman

That's pretty much what I think about this album. Plus, I really love the Out Of Time version. Maybe because I always loved Chris Farlowe's version and often wondered how it would sound with Mick's lead vocals since it came out - and by 1975, I finally got it!

It could have been a much better album without the majority of tracks on side 1, the "pop demos" for other artists. With some more Chess material, maybe. But ABKCO was keen on having as much Jagger/Richards originals on the album as possible, so financial aspects won over artistic content as outlined in Wyman's Black Box compilation. But still, they could have included I Can See It aka Get Yourself Together or Pay Your Dues.

Agreed. And for quality they could have added stuff like Da Doo Run Run and Memphis, while they were at it with the demos for other artists, and removed a couple of the most awkward ones smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 7, 2016 14:01

Is this the album that´s been called "Oldham´s Revenge"?

Some nice/obscure outtakes and early songs on that one, although I remember that most critics consider it the worst Stones-compilation of all times.

Side two is indeed more interesting than side one. My favorites are Going Down, Family, Jiving Sister Fanny & Memo From Turner.

Escpecially Jiving Sister Fanny & Family are true gems that I dearly love.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 7, 2016 14:09

I love the album cover. Anyone here have the shirt that came with the album?

Great compilation too.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 7, 2016 18:10

its a great album, were waistin time, sleepy city are great songs too, although not sure if they are officially stones songs.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 7, 2016 18:48

Going down, Dont know why, jiving , Memo are my favourites. great great stuff. .
one of my favourite albums.
jeroen

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 7, 2016 19:18

Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky, Exile and Side 2 of Metamorphosis - that's all you need. Screw Some Girls - I'd rather have the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 7, 2016 19:51

Dont forget the Staying-Alive-soundtrack...smiling bouncing smiley
Do you really think you can do without Dirty Work?grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 7, 2016 20:12

Deltics
Did anybody ever figure out why "Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind" and "We're Wastin' Time". weren't included on the original American release?

Wasn't 16 songs records to much for the US market, maybe it would have been better that they removed Out of Time and Heart of Stone instead as that are known songs.............

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: July 7, 2016 23:37

great album!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 7, 2016 23:52

Nice compilation of outtakes! Some pretty good tunes. I love Mick's singing in the verses of If You Let Me.

BTW, in Tony Jasper's book, in the discography section, for Metamorphosis, it lists a track called "Ana". That was the days before the internet,so it wasn't easy to check other sources. I spent many hours trying to track down that non-existent song.

Date: July 8, 2016 00:02

LeonidP
Nice compilation of outtakes! Some pretty good tunes. I love Mick's singing in the verses of If You Let Me.

BTW, in Tony Jasper's book, in the discography section, for Metamorphosis, it lists a track called "Ana". That was the days before the internet,so it wasn't easy to check other sources. I spent many hours trying to track down that non-existent song.

ANA 1 was the catalogue number of the American issue!

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 8, 2016 00:12

Deltics
LeonidP

Haha, where were you 35 years ago, when that info could have saved me a lot of time!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 8, 2016 00:19

An interesting release, certainly. I particularly like Jimmy Page's sloppy soloing on Heart Of Stone and, I think, Big Jim Sullivan's lead-guitar on We're Wasting Time; at least, I suspect that's him. It's certainly not Keith and it doesn't sound like Jimmy Page to my ears.

Side-two has some wonderful moments, of course: I Don't Know Why, Jiving Sister Fanny, etc.

Date: July 8, 2016 00:23

LeonidP
Deltics
LeonidP

Haha, where were you 35 years ago, when that info could have saved me a lot of time!

Everything comes to he who waits! grinning smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 8, 2016 02:09

"I'm Going Down" reminds me very much of "Soul Survivor".

I like side one.

Interestingly, "We're Wasting Time" to me, has a similar rhythm to "The Christmas Song" by Alvin and the Chipmunks.

"Walking through the sleepy city" is excellent, I forget who recorded it commercially but there version is very good as well and can be found on youtube.

Pretty chronological and I do like the cerca '66-ish sounding Stones.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 8, 2016 02:13

"Each and Every Day Of The Year" with that Spanish type of trumpet, in that, it is interesting and okay. They got a bit innovative. A ballad.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 8, 2016 03:41

Big Al
An interesting release, certainly. I particularly like Jimmy Page's sloppy soloing on Heart Of Stone and, I think, Big Jim Sullivan's lead-guitar on We're Wasting Time; at least, I suspect that's him. It's certainly not Keith and it doesn't sound like Jimmy Page to my ears.

Side-two has some wonderful moments, of course: I Don't Know Why, Jiving Sister Fanny, etc.

John McLaughlin says he played at those sessions but does not remember which songs he played on.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 8, 2016 03:51

BroomWagon

I think that "I'm Going Down" could easily have made it onto Exile. A more polished version but still with some Exile muddiness. It's got a great feel. That whole "down shifting" thing is great.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 8, 2016 04:29

Recording details - according to Wikipedia

"Out of Time" (Jagger/Richards) – 3:22
Recorded 27–30 April 1966
The demo—with Jagger on lead vocal—for Chris Farlowe's hit single version

"Don't Lie to Me" (Hudson Whittaker) – 2:00
Recorded on 10 June 1964
Incorrectly credited to Jagger and Richards on the album
Line up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Brian Jones (guitar), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass), Ian Stewart (piano)

"Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:25
Recorded on 13 February 1964
The first version of this song to be released (in early 1965) was by the American duo Dick and Dee Dee, followed closely by the Vashti Bunyan recording

"Each and Everyday of the Year" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:48
Recorded in early September 1964
Bobby Jameson's version of this song features the same backing track as this recording. It was also covered by a group that went by the name of Thee, both in 1965

"Heart of Stone" (Jagger/Richards) – 3:47
Recorded 21–23 July 1964 with Jimmy Page on guitar and Clem Cattini on drums

"I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys" (Andrew Loog Oldham, Keith Richards) – 2:11
Recorded in February 1965
Originally released by The Toggery 5 in 1965.

"(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:51
Originally released by The Mighty Avengers in 1965

"We're Wastin' Time" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:42
Originally released by Jimmy Tarbuck in 1965

"Try a Little Harder" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:17
Recorded on 13 February 1964

"I Don't Know Why" (Stevie Wonder, Paul Riser, Don Hunter, Lula Hardaway) – 3:01
Recorded on 3 July 1969 (the night that news broke of Brian Jones's death) during the sessions for Let It Bleed
The music after the stop was spliced in at a later stage. The second slide guitar solo by Mick Taylor is a copy of the first solo
Incorrectly credited to Jagger, Richards and Taylor on the first pressing of the album. The credits were corrected with the second pressing and on the 2002 SACD version

"If You Let Me" (Jagger/Richards) – 3:17
Recorded in August 1966 as a Between the Buttons outtake
Line up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Brian Jones (autoharp), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass), Ian Stewart (piano)

"Jiving Sister Fanny" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:45
Recorded in June 1969, during the Let It Bleed sessions, with Taylor on lead guitar

"Downtown Suzie" (Bill Wyman) – 3:52
Recorded on 23 April 1969 as a Let It Bleed outtake under the original title "Sweet Lyle Lucie". It features Ry Cooder on open G tuned guitar. Song written by Bill Wyman.

"Family" (Jagger/Richards) – 4:05
Recorded on 28 June 1968 as a Beggars Banquet outtake.
Line up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitars), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass), Nicky Hopkins (piano), Jimmy Miller (percussion)

"Memo from Turner" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:45
Recorded on 17 November 1968; a different take was released as a Mick Jagger solo single in October 1970 and featured in the film Performance.
Featuring Jagger on vocals and Al Kooper on guitar, the identity of the other musicians on this track is not certain, with Jim Capaldi and Steve Winwood of Traffic, as well as the other Rolling Stones, being mentioned as playing on it

"I'm Going Down" (Jagger/Richards) – 2:52
Recorded primarily in the fall of 1969.
Line up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Mick Taylor (bass), Charlie Watts (drums), Bobby Keys (sax), Rocky Dijon (percussion)
Credited to Jagger, Richards and Taylor on the first pressing of the album. The credits were changed to 'Jagger/Richards' with the second pressing and on the 2002 SACD version
Charts

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 8, 2016 05:04

Most of the tracks on side 1 are demo's for other artists.
Here are the finished products:

Chris Farlowe - Out of Time (with Mick Jagger on backing vocals)

Vashti Bunyan - Something Just Sticks in Your Mind

Bobby Jameson - Each and Everyday

The Toggery 5 - I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys (sung I'd Rather be Out with the Boys)

The Mighty Avengers - (Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City (they also did Blue Turns to Grey)

Jimmy Tarbuck - Wastin' Time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 05:09 by kowalski.

Date: July 8, 2016 05:17

MileHigh
BroomWagon

I think that "I'm Going Down" could easily have made it onto Exile. A more polished version but still with some Exile muddiness. It's got a great feel. That whole "down shifting" thing is great.

LOL, what great way to describe it: downshifting

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 8, 2016 11:30

I never did considered this album as a Compilation, rather a Studioalbum with older tracks just like most of 'Tattoo You' is. All songs on Metamorphosis is super except for maybe 'Out of Time' where's the original track from UK 'Aftermath' is unbeatable.

5/5 for this album thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 8, 2016 22:55

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2016 23:47

Hey that clever schillid ....take a bow ...take a bow wow wow ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home