Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mister Mick's Secret French Hideway
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 9, 2008 11:50

Well, not so secret really.
Check this link:
http://www.111Articles.info

Just an ordinary guy spending a bit of time at his holiday home (or rather one of them).

Re: Mister Mick's Secret French Hideway
Date: December 9, 2008 11:53

Date: December 9, 2008 11:54

Apologises-link not working; will try later

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2008 11:59

Well ya did say it was secret....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 9, 2008 12:05

Here it is.
Not really a secret.

When Mick Jagger thick-lipped lead singer of the Rolling Stones (affectionately also known as the Strolling Bones) finishes a tour, where does he head to unwind? He heads for the beautiful Touraine region in the centre of France in a sleepy little backwater where he can relax with his friends and family preferring the simple life.

The little village is incredibly quaint with a population of about 1600 people. If you blink it is easy to miss Poce-sur-Cisse. There is the Marie as usual, a little white church, a newsagent, two hairdressers, hotel, baker, two pharmacies, and pizzeria. In the centre is an impressive 15th century chateau set out in a gorgeous park. This one is not Sir Mick's. A discreet sign indicates the way to La Fourchette.

Poce-sur-Cisse is well placed being only 220 kilometres from Paris on A10. And just 25 kilometres from the village is the Tours airport, where a private, three-person taxi-plane whisks Jagger from London in 70 minutes. The area is also handy for the high speed TGV, which zooms into Tours or its satellite station, St-Pierre-des-Corps, in 62 minutes from Paris' Gare Montparnasse.

Twenty six years ago he and Jerry Hall his then wife purchased a beautiful 16th century chateau for a mere 2 million francs (roughly 200,000 pounds inflation aside) in a tiny village called Poce-sur-Cisse a few kilometres from Amboise on the north side of the Loire River. His chateau, La Fourchette was originally the property of the Duc de Choiseuil, Louis XVI's finance minister.

Apparently Mick Jagger fell in love with this region when he came here camping with his parents in the 1950s. It is his preferred second residence. Probably not only for the relaxed lifestyle he gets to enjoy there, but also because of how handy it is to London and New York.

It is not at all surprising that Jerry wanted La Fourchette as part of the divorce settlement but she did not get it.

His guests at La Fourchette have included Tina Turner, Paul McCartney, David Bowie and Roman Polanski. The last Rolling Stones album was recorded at his chateau and the band members where all regulars in the village during this period.

He is known to the locals as Sir Mick, le pape du rock, Sir Jagger, Mick de Fourchette, Dr. Jagger, sexy papy British, le pere Mick, Le Seigneur de Fourchette, Le Seigneur de Fourchette and Mister Mick. He is the Touraine's best hard to find attraction. He is popular with the locals and is quietly protected. The locals are loath to discuss him with strangers. I doubt if he would have been able to find any village in England or America, which would not have cashed in on his association with Rolling Stone paraphernalia and merchandise splattered everywhere.

The Peter Pan of Rock has integrated nicely into French country life and he competently engages local upholsterers, plumbers, electricians and mechanics. He even fronts up to the local Bricomarche (DIY store) to be served by blushing giggling young girls.

He has also been known to play cricket for Saumur when he is at La Fourchette.

In spite of his wealth, his reputation and his glamorous friends, he is mostly seen at the wheel of a fairly downmarket Opel station wagon, or a tiny Nissan Micra or his old 505 Peugeot.

Art historian, John Richardson commented: "I've stayed with Mick at his chateau, La Fourchette, and that's where you see a very different Mick. He got Alvilde Lees-Milne to lay out a marvellous formal walled garden and he became completely part of the garden, knew every single thing about all the plants, the flowers, the way the fruit trees were espaliered.

There is nothing contrived about his wonderful country-house life. Big trestle tables under the chestnut trees, with nanny and kids at one end and adults at the other - the children having buns, the adults smoking joints. Absolute paradise. I remember Mick was training for one of his tours there too - he used a dead straight local stretch of country road so he could practise running backwards very fast. You'd see a French farmer resting on his shovel or his hoe, watching the head of Mick Jagger above the hedge going back and forth, very fast, backwards."

You too can live a little like Mick Jagger if you want. Rent yourself a chateau.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 9, 2008 12:19

Nice read, thanks. It really sounds like the place is Jagger's place to relax, or 'home' in Jaggeresque terms...

Sounds so gentleman-like - a British aristocrat who lives in a castle, but being so ordinary that is driving with Nissan Micra and all, and chats with the locals, giving helping hand in cricet... charming!

But a snake in the paradise: "the adults smoking joints"...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: December 9, 2008 12:33

I love the image of the French farmer looking out across his field to see the head of MJ bobbing up and down above the hedgerow, reversing up the country lane.....

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 9, 2008 12:36

You can see it "all over the place" on the excellent DVD "BEING MICK". Looks like a great hangout (especially since I love France and all things French). This is the kind of place you wanna get if you win Lotto (and also have those great transportation links to Paris when things get a little too slow in the village). Merci Beaucoup Monsieur Doctor Stones - Tres interessant.....

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 9, 2008 14:21

When I was 15 years old I lived in Amboise a few miles away from Poce-sur-cisse. That was 1974 and with a couple of friends we used to go to the bookstore to look at the naked chicks in Playboy & Lui. In july 1987 I went to La Fourchette in hope to meet Mick and to offer him the 45t("Get out of my way") me and my band(Three Time Loser) had just released. Mick was home and I saw him from afar but the @#$%& gardener kicked me out before I was able to speak with Jagger. Lovely place!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 9, 2008 15:22

rollmops
When I was 15 years old I lived in Amboise a few miles away from Poce-sur-cisse. That was 1974 and with a couple of friends we used to go to the bookstore to look at the naked chicks in Playboy & Lui. In july 1987 I went to La Fourchette in hope to meet Mick and to offer him the 45t("Get out of my way") me and my band(Three Time Loser) had just released. Mick was home and I saw him from afar but the @#$%& gardener kicked me out before I was able to speak with Jagger. Lovely place!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Nice story Rollmops!!

I live at 350 kms from Poce;in 1989,I made a trip to the "châteaux de la Loire" and of course,I paid a visit to "La Fourchette".The gates were closed,and I had to climb on my roof car for a try...

Fortunately,the gardener nowadays isn't the @#$%& 87's one...winking smiley
Jagger doen't often stay at Poce,once a year,may be twice...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 9, 2008 16:52

[www.iorr.org]

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2012 18:44

Did someone say Chateau Fourchette?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 8, 2012 18:54

SwayStones
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Nice story Rollmops!!

I live at 350 kms from Poce;in 1989,I made a trip to the "châteaux de la Loire" and of course,I paid a visit to "La Fourchette".The gates were closed,and I had to climb on my roof car for a try...

Fortunately,the gardener nowadays isn't the @#$%& 87's one...winking smiley
Jagger doen't often stay at Poce,once a year,may be twice...

Great story yourself Sway! I prefer the image of you standing tippy toed on the roof of your car to the one of Mick jogging backward down the country lane. Looks like he could have just as easily used his long driveway. Nice shots in any case. Did you take them? peace

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 8, 2012 19:13

A while ago in my local library I ran across a magazine (called something like Country Garden) that had an article on Mick's chateau with big photos and an interview with the landscape/garden planner. The main thing I remember was the garden planner said (paraphrase),"Mick was very impatient for the garden to grow. He wanted things flourishing instantly. But I told him that with gardens one must be patient."

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 4, 2020 14:07

Doxa
Nice read, thanks. It really sounds like the place is Jagger's place to relax, or 'home' in Jaggeresque terms...

Sounds so gentleman-like - a British aristocrat who lives in a castle, but being so ordinary that is driving with Nissan Micra and all, and chats with the locals, giving helping hand in cricet... charming!

But a snake in the paradise: "the adults smoking joints"...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Does anybody have a picture of Mick driving a Nissan Micra?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 4, 2020 15:04

(one of the ugly side-effects of the Covid disaster is people get so bored they dig up ancient threads... Please find a vaccine!) grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 15:13 by dcba.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: April 7, 2020 11:34

He's there now with his young son Dev and girlfriend Mel. I assume they'll stay for awhile.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 7, 2020 12:21

With TONS of time on his hands to tinker in the home studio there. Come on Mick, time to put all these demos that Keith doesn't like in the cloud !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: April 7, 2020 12:50

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 7, 2020 15:22

Doc
In spite of his wealth, his reputation and his glamorous friends, he is mostly seen at the wheel of a fairly downmarket Opel station wagon, or a tiny Nissan Micra or his old 505 Peugeot.

He still has that Nissan Micra? Omg

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 7, 2020 17:18

oh my goodness that is not what I imagined . So decadent ! I loved the photo of Mick with his ex -that was hilarious !

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 8, 2020 15:20

Doc

Mick Jagger's 2 Peugeot 505's - Château de Fourchette

(c) Darren Massie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 15:21 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 11, 2020 10:16

I too am presently holed up in the depths of the French countryside, in the southwest. I assure you it's a great place to ride this crisis out. The birds are singing, flowers are blooming, people peacefully working in their gardens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home