Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: ot "Mad Men"
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 16, 2012 05:58

OMG!!! I laughed so hard that it hurt... I sure didnt see that coming >> not to mention..... about time somebody punched that dip shit Pete right in the face << lmao

highlight between the above >> ____ << to see spoilers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 23:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 28, 2012 23:43

Great stuff... and somehow getting better.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 29, 2012 01:55

SinceI have the utmost respect for my IORRians, I'm going to check this show out. I haven't watched a regular TV show since MASH went off the air.
Cheerios.
M.smoking smiley

Date: April 29, 2012 02:30

memphiscats
SinceI have the utmost respect for my IORRians, I'm going to check this show out. I haven't watched a regular TV show since MASH went off the air.
Cheerios.
M.smoking smiley

Im with ya darlin... these days I typically despise most TV shows.
I dont trust them to renew shows which I like and I no longer trust them enough to watch a TV show from the start... thus I watch more movies then shows..... but "Mad Men" is A-OK with me.

I suggest setting your DVR on Sunday mornings to play catch up. (Starting in 11 hours from right now)

For some reason I was able (I lucked into being) able to watch this show from season 1 episode 1 by setting the DVR to Sunday mornings starting last December, then watching them at my liesure through the week... By watching from the start the show makes sense.... I am NOT saying this is required, I am just saying this is how they grabbed me. But..there are some WTF? moments in this show... and thety weave around and drop hints a lot...... like right they are >> dropping hints about some kind of impending doom.... like last week I thought for sure someone was gonna be goner... for sure.... but of course it could be just my imagination running away..... but.... well we will see <<

It looks like tomorrow morning (or late late tonight winking smiley ) AMC is reshowing all of the shows from this season.....that should be a good place to start.... but sometime try to watch them all in order.... IMDB.com is a great resource. [www.imdb.com] they list when old shows are being reshown

Zou Bisou Bisou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-29 02:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 29, 2012 04:30

Thanks for the info, Max...DVR is set to record AMC. Cheers!!smoking smiley

Date: April 29, 2012 05:52

memphiscats
Thanks for the info, Max...DVR is set to record AMC. Cheers!!smoking smiley
My pleasure MC...
have fun with it... cuz... fun is a good thing to have.

Date: April 30, 2012 05:00

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
it was that picture ...
or this really knarly Ted pic... so I gave the board a break winking smiley you are welcome

Max, this Mad Men season is really dark so far. Where do you think they are headed with the Don/Megan sub-plot?

As I posted above....spolier alert.. highlight between >> << to read >>
I think someone is gonna get not be around for next season.....
<<

shhhh.. its starting!! winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 30, 2012 05:05

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
it was that picture ...
or this really knarly Ted pic... so I gave the board a break winking smiley you are welcome

Max, this Mad Men season is really dark so far. Where do you think they are headed with the Don/Megan sub-plot?

<<

I do not want to take a chance on reading the spoiler. Crap, three more hours here on the West Coast until it starts!

Date: April 30, 2012 06:05

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
it was that picture ...

<<

I do not want to take a chance on reading the spoiler. Crap, three more hours here on the West Coast until it starts!

Dont worry, I dont usually spoil too much information.....

Date: April 30, 2012 06:07

- So, How's the city?

- Dirty

Date: April 30, 2012 06:07

GREAT SHOW period. Never been a bad one.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 06:16

Max'sKansasCity
- So, How's the city?

- Dirty

'Dirty.'
Great ending.
I knew Roger was going to....
And Julia Ormond looks as gorgeous as ever....

Date: April 30, 2012 06:22

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
GREAT SHOW period. Never been a bad one.
thumbs up not that I have seen.

Another reason I like this show, besides the reasons I already mentioned, is I have no idea what is going to happen next, no idea what they are leading up to. Most shows, and and even movies these days, have grown very predictable, but this one leaves you on edge. Enough laughs... enough cringes... enough plots... what a great mix.... the only bad part is I wanna keep reading.... but the show stops... damn it.... if it was a book.... I would finish this book in one night...

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 30, 2012 19:57

"I know cooler heads should prevail but does anybody else want to see this?"

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 30, 2012 20:43

The scene " She'll spread her ... wings and fly away" is @#$%& hilarious; it took me 5 minutes to recover from laughing so hard.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: April 30, 2012 20:56

rollmops
The scene " She'll spread her ... wings and fly away" is @#$%& hilarious; it took me 5 minutes to recover from laughing so hard.
Rock and roll,
Mops

agreed, that was too funny.. and of course.... it was written off to
"so sorry but my English not so good".....

but then later >> The father uses his Engligh quite fine when he is disgusted at his Daughter for "losing her way" and not doing what he really wants. He speaks French when he is happy with her, but English when he is not?...seems odd.... and this also brings up the "the other shoe is going to drop on Megan".... what is this "other thing" she really wanted to do before having the wealth handed to her?..... <<

Date: April 30, 2012 21:58

Good stuff here... but also contain too many spoiler to no white out, high light to read... or juts go to this link...

[watching-tv.ew.com]

A 'Mad Men' character study: Roger Sterling, better living through chemistry
by Ken Tucker

>> This is shaping up to be the best Mad Men season yet. There are a a number of reasons for that — the bold variations in storytelling styles from week to week; the already vast shades of mood displayed by dizzy newlywed Don Draper; the saga of Peggy Olson, destined to become either an ad agency superstar or the female Freddie Rumsen, it’s her choice — but I’m going to narrow this post down to one current live wire sparking the series: Roger Sterling.

As played by John Slattery, Roger has always served two simultaneous functions on the show. He’s Don’s closest office confidant (at least until the arrival of Megan) and thus the person most likely to prise out information from the show’s complex central figure. Roger also serves as the audience surrogate: Through wisecracks and an alcohol-loosened mind, he speaks thoughts we have, or wish we’d had, about what’s going on at any given moment. (His immortal words as Pete and Lane began to square off for fisticuffs: “I know cooler heads should step in, but am I the only one who wants to see this?”) The show’s writers, even beyond Matthew Weiner, seem to have a very clear idea of just how to portray Roger, a cold cad with a warm heart. His utterly charming badinage with little Sally at the awards dinner this week was a perfect example of the way Roger can be a marvelous companion to just about anyone. (Who wouldn’t want to sit next to him at a dinner party and be privy to his murmured insights and insults, pointing out the power players and ridiculing the Margaret Dumonts in the room? Roger is probably the only Mad Men character other than Peggy who’d be ultra-aware that Dow Corning was making napalm as well as sturdy dishware at the time of that soiree.)

The key to Roger is that he’s a comic-relief character with a profoundly tragic aspect. A silver fox born with a silver spoon in his mouth — it’s his dad’s name that leads off the ad agency’s title, not Roger’s — Roger probably spent the first half of his career gliding through life with occasional opportunities to show that he’s smart and can work hard. It’s that changeling aspect to Roger’s nature that probably helped him bond, initially, with Don, himself an identity shape-shifter who could go undetected even by Jared Harris if he was in his David Robert Jones/Fringe character rather than his Lane Pryce/Mad Men form. In his blackened heart, Roger believes his mojo could disappear at any moment, and his current rough patch, competing with Pete Campbell for accounts — a humiliating situation for a man like Roger — only confirms this for him.

I was immensely pleased that this past Sunday’s Mad Men did not consign Roger’s LSD trip from the previous episode to a one-off lark. Like a good number of people who experiment with hallucinogens, Roger’s outlook on life seems to have been changed, or at least shifted into a new perspective. Meeting up with his ex-wife for a marvelously intimate, endearing, conniving conversation (congrats to Talia Balsam, Slattery’s real-life wife, for another excellent cameo), Roger was sincere when he said that he’d undergone “a life-changing experience.”

Combine work pressure with opening the doors of perception and Roger was bound to have some acting-out behavior — not that the old goat needed an acid trip to make him receptive to the oral ministrations of a woman as comely as Julia Ormond’s character in this week’s episode. (Collateral mind-blow casualty: Poor Sally!)

It’s going to be fascinating, I’d bet, to trace Roger’s arc over this season. He’s already negotiated the smoothest marital exit strategy in Mad Men history when, post acid trip, he convinced wife Jane that he’d mind-melded her desire for them to separate. I think it’s possible that Weiner might have a character plan for Roger that’s similar to the one Anthony Powell devised for his endlessly fascinating supporting character Kenneth Widmerpool in his great novel sequence A Dance to the Music of Time. Widmerpool is more of a plodder than Roger ever was, one always viewed with amused suspicion by the novel’s Draper-ish narrator, Nick Jenkins. But the progression of Widmerpool’s character over the Dance‘s 12 volumes is not dissimilar to Roger’s: He begins an eager-beaver achiever, settles into a defensive middle age, only to find himself swayed by another aspect of 1960s counterculture — in Widmerpool’s case, a sham guru, for whom Widmerpool throws over his career, with semi-tragic, semi-farcical results.

Who knows if a similar fate awaits Roger Sterling? I can picture Roger in tie-dye sack-cloth attire, chanting between licks of LSD buttons. And when I see John Slattery, his hair askew in an un-Roger-like manner as he drives a Lincoln MKX in a commercial that airs frequently during Mad Men, I sometimes think that the actor and the writers could take Roger anywhere, motoring swiftly into his future that is our troubled past.
<<

Date: April 30, 2012 22:00

Max'sKansasCity
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

but then later >> The father uses his Engligh quite fine when he is disgusted at his Daughter for "losing her way" and not doing what he really wants. He speaks French when he is happy with her, but English when he is not?...seems odd.... and this also brings up the "the other shoe is going to drop on Megan".... what is this "other thing" she really wanted to do before having the wealth handed to her?..... <<

Details of episode deleted per request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-30 22:05 by 71Tele.

Date: April 30, 2012 22:01

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Another great episode. >> Peggy getting a "shacking up" proposition instead of the type she was expecting was a very 60s moment. I knew when they had Mom over for dinner to break the news that things would not go well...Sally walking in on Roger getting the BJ was classic. I was wondering what all the "adult content" warnings were about! Every week is a new surprise. Here I thought Megan and Don were in big trouble and she saves the big Heinz account. But did you catch Joan saying "it is what it is" to Peggy? NO ONE said that in 1966. Usually the show is very careful about the dialogue's authenticity. It felt like they slipped a tint bit on that one. <<

You seem to grasp this concept of not spoiling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-30 22:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 30, 2012 22:03

Not that your spoilers affect me,
I makes sure to watch, or not read, but others might not.....

Date: April 30, 2012 22:04

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Another great episode. >> Peggy getting a "shacking up" proposition instead of the type she was expecting was a very 60s moment. I knew when they had Mom over for dinner to break the news that things would not go well...Sally walking in on Roger getting the BJ was classic. I was wondering what all the "adult content" warnings were about! Every week is a new surprise. Here I thought Megan and Don were in big trouble and she saves the big Heinz account. But did you catch Joan saying "it is what it is" to Peggy? NO ONE said that in 1966. Usually the show is very careful about the dialogue's authenticity. It felt like they slipped a tint bit on that one. <<

You just cant seem to grasp this concept of not spoiling eh?

As the show aired already, I thought we were safe discussing it. I will wipe my comments in deference to anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but kind of hard to talk about it if we can't, like, talk about it, eh?

Date: April 30, 2012 22:07

Just white out your commnts... it is the polite thing to do for others.

btw- use the color box to select "white" as your color smiling smiley

I do like to talk about it, but also I like to set a good example to not spoil plots/ surprises about books, movies etc.....

I like to talk about it, sometimes, mostly for the subtle stuff... I need to read what other people are thinking for/or explainations of things like ....(this is fiction) Did you notice everytime, before someone was killed, the color red was everywhere before the bad guy came..... or Did you notice the music which played everytime before balh balh ... blah blahed?...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-30 22:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 30, 2012 22:07

Max'sKansasCity

I do like to talk about it, but also I like to set a good example to not spoil plots/ surprises about books, movies etc.....

Not intentional. I wasn't aware of the white-out technique. My apologies.

Date: April 30, 2012 22:18

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Not intentional. I wasn't aware of the white-out technique. My apologies.

Its all good.... smiling smiley

BTW SPOILER >> How about the career killer information the guy at the bar told Don Draper.... "They" might cover you desk with awards, but they will never hire you... because you bit the hand that feeds" (regarding Dons' anti Tobbacco article, for which he recieved an award THAT NIGHT!! )... and the "THEY" the guy was talking about was the HUGE potential clients who were there giving Don and award, clients like Ford and GM and others, which will NEVER use Draper's compnay for ads. OUCH!!!!. You could see that bit of info crushed Draper..... <<

Re: ot "MadMen"
Date: April 5, 2013 06:00

Oops, just heard the new Mad Men season starts this Sunday.
Get your DVRS set, it is on AMC channel, Sunday night... Have fun.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 5, 2013 06:05

Already set Max, love that show!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 5, 2013 09:59

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad Men World....

After a year and a half hiatus, AMC is pleased to announce the return of its hit television series Mad Men. It's the same critically acclaimed show that audiences know and love, following the trials and tribulations of love, life and work in the 1960s, though this season, there's going to be a whole lot more, including musical numbers, celebrity judges and real housewives of pretty much everywhere.

Full story at: www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-marks/its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-men_b_1375543.html

And, of, course, it's also a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World....

Date: April 22, 2013 07:08

"Should we fire him before he can cash that check?"

LMBO!!!

Date: April 29, 2013 21:42

cool smiley

Date: May 29, 2013 14:23

"What are you doing?"

"Waiting for you to tell me to stop"

whoa

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home