Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
ot "Mad Men"
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 26, 2012 07:13

and today, hot off the presses today, they say it is selling like hotcakes ...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 06:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Re: ot MAD MEN
Date: April 2, 2012 05:11

LOL!!!
and on tonight's show....
SPOLILER ALERT!!!>>> curser over to read>>>
SOOO....the Heinz people are there at dinner, getting pitched, looking to make an ad, and the Heinz guy says "Don Have you ever heard of this band "The Rolling Stones"? Our daughter keeps playing this song "Time is on my side"...." so I am thinking we could hire the band to do it Heinz Heinz Heinz is on my side"... and Don says he will see what he can do...

and if you want to know what happens next... well... time is on your side.

WHOA!!!!
SO this show is set in 60s..... and has progressed from 1961 to tonights episode is 1966...... and......

so they are back stage..... and blah blah.... He asks "what do you like so about the Rolling Stones" and the young gril says... "Brian Jones, he's a troubadour"...and she smiles... smiling smiley

btw- dont expect any Stones music,
I am just pleased to see this hat tip to our favorite band by the Mad Men show writers, it makes me like it all the more.
<<END SPOLIER ALERT!!!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 02:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Re: ot "Mad Men"
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 2, 2012 07:14

I was watching tonight's show, didn't expect the Stones....
Did groupies have that much power backstage?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 2, 2012 08:32

Depends how good the blow jobs are...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 2, 2012 09:02

2 1 2 0

Date: April 2, 2012 09:04

stupidguy2
I was watching tonight's show, didn't expect the Stones....
thumbs upallright man... that show is good stuff... and I kind of hate
actually admitting that... but they got me by reshowing all of the
seasons in a row over the last couple of months... then BAM right into
this season. I think the reason I like it is because it gives us view
of 1961-196x... and how things were back then... And they do an excellent
jobs on the styles, traits, looks, habits, trends etc etc..I like watching
the background stuff more than the soap opera plot lines... then... they
drop in stuff like this Stones subplot and it is B I N G O smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 09:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 2, 2012 09:05

Come On

oops... I think the "show us a picture of yourself" thread is over there>>>>

winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2012 15:16

I love this show. It's the only must watch TV for me (other than sports and Kelly Bundy!).

Their use of "Satisfaction" a couple of years ago was excellent too.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 2, 2012 15:21

it's 1966 and Brian Jones was still the "king"!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 2, 2012 17:42

Love the show, and it was cool how they worked the Stones in without actually showing them. Did anyone notice the Allen Klein reference?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 2, 2012 21:11

Love the show.

Haven't see this episode, but I'm curious how they use a commercial that was done in 1963 in a new episode of the show (set in June, 1966). The Stones of 1966 don't see to be a remotely possible celebrity spokes-band for any clients of SCD&P.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 2, 2012 21:33

camper88
Love the show.

Haven't see this episode, but I'm curious how they use a commercial that was done in 1963 in a new episode of the show (set in June, 1966). The Stones of 1966 don't see to be a remotely possible celebrity spokes-band for any clients of SCD&P.

They don't actually use the Rice Krispies commercial, though it is mentioned. Draper basically tries to pitch the Stones to keep his client happy, though it's pretty obvious to everyone but the client that there's no chance of it happening.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 2, 2012 21:36

JuanTCB
camper88
Love the show.

They don't actually use the Rice Krispies commercial, though it is mentioned. Draper basically tries to pitch the Stones to keep his client happy, though it's pretty obvious to everyone but the client that there's no chance of it happening.

Thanks

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 3, 2012 02:26

Max'sKansasCity

Wow, Gillian Hills is adorable and sexy, in a Bardot or [Vadim-era J. Fonda] sort of way....

Yeah, Mad Men is now officially up to July 2, 1966 (for the Stones show at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium). Tonight they play Asbury Park, as noted on the show...

Date: April 3, 2012 02:38

rocker1
Wow, Gillian Hills is adorable and sexy, in a Bardot or [Vadim-era J. Fonda] sort of way....

Yeah, Mad Men is now officially up to July 2, 1966 (for the Stones show at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium). Tonight they play Asbury Park, as noted on the show...

You are correct sir... on 1966 and all accounts...

I changed the dates on my post, thanks.... and OH YEAH!!!! talk about Ooh La La.... when Megan started singing that song in last weeks episode, they caught me hook line and sinker... She blew me away... I love the way French women talk, sing and coo. I had never heard of (I dont recall anyway) this song, so I was one of millions who hit google to get more.. and Ooh La La Gillian does a great job of the original and meagn's update is awesome too..... I feel the need(desire) to have this song sang to me ( yeah, I have a new fantasy)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 02:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 3, 2012 04:38

Max'sKansasCity
rocker1

I changed the dates on my post, thanks.... and OH YEAH!!!! talk about Ooh La La.... when Megan started singing that song in last weeks episode, they caught me hook line and sinker... She blew me away... I love the way French women talk, sing and coo. I had never heard of (I dont recall anyway) this song, so I was one of millions who hit google to get more.. and Ooh La La Gillian does a great job of the original and meagn's update is awesome too..... I feel the need(desire) to have this song sang to me ( yeah, I have a new fantasy)

Ha! I've been hearing about this show for four years and never bothered...
I happened to be channel-surfing last Sunday nigh and BAM! Im hooked! I've been trying to get caught up on youtube and watched last season's last two ep On Demand. I will be looking for the DVD this weekend. I love the characters, the flawless set designs, clothes ....how they so perfectly recreate that period. Love the dynamic between the men and women and as for the new Mrs Draper, I have a new girl crush, overbite and all. She immediately reminded me of Laura Petrie from the old Dick Van Dyke Show. This show is my new obsession and looking forward to catching up and season 5.

Date: April 3, 2012 06:45

stupidguy2
Max'sKansasCity
rocker1

I happened to be channel-surfing last Sunday nigh and BAM! Im hooked! I've been trying to get caught up on youtube and watched last season's last two ep On Demand. I will be looking for the DVD this weekend. I love the characters, the flawless set designs, clothes ....how they so perfectly recreate that period. Love the dynamic between the men and women and as for the new Mrs Draper, I have a new girl crush, overbite and all. She immediately reminded me of Laura Petrie from the old Dick Van Dyke Show. This show is my new obsession and looking forward to catching up and season 5.

thumbs up Same with me... I heard about it winning all those awrds blah blah.... then I heard people whining and jonesing for it when it took 18 months to produce a new season... so when AMC started reshowing 3-4 episodes every Sunday morning back in Decemeber, I DVR'd it and I gave it spin.... and the deep writing hooked me too..... but mainly what you said... the flawless set designs, clothes ....how they so perfectly recreate that period. EXACTLY.

I recommend obtaining the first episodes and watching it from the start... it really plays out nicely. I like a show with lots of grays... no good guys and bad guys... just flawed humans doing what humans do.

This is not to mention I am 100% burned out on mafia/mobsters/blood/killing etc etc.... Mad Men is a nice change of pace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 06:49 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 3, 2012 07:06

This is not to mention I am 100% burned out on mafia/mobsters/blood/killing etc etc

Mad Men creator Matt Weiner was a Sopranos writer/producer, speaking of mobsters. Can you believe HBO passed on this show?

It was shocking to see a fat Betty Draper. I wonder if January Jones really beefed up for the plot line?

Date: April 3, 2012 07:48

71Tele

It was shocking to see a fat Betty Draper. I wonder if January Jones really beefed up for the plot line?

I believe that January Jones was pregnant during the filming, so that would account for some of the beefiness.

Date: April 3, 2012 07:50

rocker1
71Tele

I believe that January Jones was pregnant during the filming, so that would account for some of the beefiness.

Ah...makes sense.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: April 3, 2012 08:05

So, the show had Allen Klein as manager in July 66. Seems a bit early to me. Anyone know when the ALO/Klein transition happened?

-R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 17:44 by Reagan.

Date: April 3, 2012 08:40

Reagan
So, the show had Allen Klein as manager in July 66. Seems a bit early to me. Anyone know when the ALG/Klein transition happened?

-R

I couldn't find an exact date, but his NY Times obit, along with a Klein bio on another site, both say he took over their contractual affairs in 1965. [Which I would not have guessed, as I always presumed that it was sometime in '66.]

NY Times Obit

Klein bio

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: April 3, 2012 17:44

rocker1
Reagan
So, the show had Allen Klein as manager in July 66. Seems a bit early to me. Anyone know when the ALG/Klein transition happened?

-R

I couldn't find an exact date, but his NY Times obit, along with a Klein bio on another site, both say he took over their contractual affairs in 1965. [Which I would not have guessed, as I always presumed that it was sometime in '66.]

NY Times Obit

Klein bio

Thanks for the info!

-R

Date: April 4, 2012 01:25

Max'sKansasCity
stupidguy2
Max'sKansasCity
rocker1

thumbs up Same with me... I heard about it winning all those awrds blah blah.... then I heard people whining and jonesing for it when it took 18 months to produce a new season... so when AMC started reshowing 3-4 episodes every Sunday morning back in Decemeber, I DVR'd it and I gave it spin.... and the deep writing hooked me too..... but mainly what you said... the flawless set designs, clothes ....how they so perfectly recreate that period. EXACTLY.

I recommend obtaining the first episodes and watching it from the start... it really plays out nicely. I like a show with lots of grays... no good guys and bad guys... just flawed humans doing what humans do.

This is not to mention I am 100% burned out on mafia/mobsters/blood/killing etc etc.... Mad Men is a nice change of pace.

I had the same inititial reaction: awards, 'best American tv show our time' etc...and it was 'blah, blah, blah' for me. Its like hearing so much about how great Citizen Kane is and then finally watching it and being surprise at how good it really is. Its not something you can casually watch and thats one of the reasons I thought it was too late to catch this train. But once you settle in, there are so many different elements to love: of course the sets, the time period - and the characters, all with complex personalities. But there are so many cultural and social elements that drive the drama: the dynamic between the old guard of Madison Avenue and a new era beginning, the sexes, the politics and how those things effect the characters' relationships with each other. It is deep. I'm glad I finally got it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 01:32 by stupidguy2.

Date: April 4, 2012 02:21

stupidguy2
I had the same inititial reaction: awards, 'best American tv show our time' etc...and it was 'blah, blah, blah' for me.

Yup I stopped watching first run TV after they canceled one too many shows, which I liked a lot, way too early.... from then on it was make it to 100+ episodes, make it worth my time... then I will watch... otherwise... there is plenty of other fun stuff to do and see.

One of the things that makes about Mad Men stand out is how flabbergastingly different some things are today.... like when you see Men Men characters doing things like.... SPOILER ALERTS>> The time the Draper family went for a picnic in the park, and when they were done, they just picked up the blanket and dumped all the trash on the ground and left it there!! WTF?? HOLY CRAP!!!! well, I guess that was the way things were back then, a lot of people didnt care about littering.... or the way some of them constantly drink booze, they drink booze in the office, they drink booze at happy hour, they drink booze when they get home... and they never seem to be drunk winking smiley.... then there is the issue about how everyone is a chimmney... they smoke so much!!.... the contrast today's PC ways is stunning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 02:31 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 4, 2012 02:41

Good show Max,l quite enjoy it thumbs up

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: April 4, 2012 03:07

ROPENI
Good show Max,l quite enjoy it thumbs up
smiling smiley thumbs up

Date: April 4, 2012 18:45

Max'sKansasCity
stupidguy2
I had the same inititial reaction: awards, 'best American tv show our time' etc...and it was 'blah, blah, blah' for me.

Yup I stopped watching first run TV after they canceled one too many shows, which I liked a lot, way too early.... from then on it was make it to 100+ episodes, make it worth my time... then I will watch... otherwise... there is plenty of other fun stuff to do and see.

One of the things that makes about Mad Men stand out is how flabbergastingly different some things are today.... like when you see Men Men characters doing things like.... SPOILER ALERTS>> The time the Draper family went for a picnic in the park, and when they were done, they just picked up the blanket and dumped all the trash on the ground and left it there!! WTF?? HOLY CRAP!!!! well, I guess that was the way things were back then, a lot of people didnt care about littering.... or the way some of them constantly drink booze, they drink booze in the office, they drink booze at happy hour, they drink booze when they get home... and they never seem to be drunk winking smiley.... then there is the issue about how everyone is a chimmney... they smoke so much!!.... the contrast today's PC ways is stunning.

Like Roger puffing away on a cigarette while holding Joan's baby...
I was born in 65, but I remember the late 60s, early 70s or at least have a sense of that time, of having been alive then - the smell of cigarette smoke in every public place. Do this day, when I go somewhere where cigarette smoke permeates the air, it reminds me of being a kid and its somehow peasant. Watching the show, i try to look at all the details. Desks, vending machines......love it.
And I haven't followed a show religiously since since China Beach.

Date: April 7, 2012 08:10

stupidguy2
Max'sKansasCity
stupidguy2
Max'sKansasCity
rocker1

I had the same inititial reaction: awards, 'best American tv show our time' etc...and it was 'blah, blah, blah' for me. Its like hearing so much about how great Citizen Kane is and then finally watching it and being surprise at how good it really is. Its not something you can casually watch and thats one of the reasons I thought it was too late to catch this train. But once you settle in, there are so many different elements to love: of course the sets, the time period - and the characters, all with complex personalities. But there are so many cultural and social elements that drive the drama: the dynamic between the old guard of Madison Avenue and a new era beginning, the sexes, the politics and how those things effect the characters' relationships with each other. It is deep. I'm glad I finally got it.

HEY!!!! FYI!!!!

It looks like AMC is going to start reshowing all "Mad Men" episodes again from the start of the series again this Sunday morning. I was just setting up the DVR to autorecord my MLB team, and erasing the crap that has to go.... and checking to see what is coming up.... and it showed "Mad Men" being autorecorded again early Sundays, from my previous setup.

Date: April 7, 2012 08:22

Up coming episode showing dates...
[www.imdb.com]

S1, Ep1
Jul. 19, 2007 Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
In 1960 New York City - the high-powered and glamorous "Golden Age" of advertising - Don Draper, the biggest ad man in the business, struggles to stay a step ahead of the rapidly changing times and the young executives nipping at his heels.
Airs Apr. 8, 6:00AM EDT Airing SoonSunday, April 8, 6:00 AM EDT AMC

S1, Ep2
Jul. 26, 2007 Ladies Room
Don Draper is reluctant to talk about his past, or his childhood, whether with his wife Betty or his boss Roger Sterling. Joan Holloway teaches Peggy Olsen how to wrangle a free lunch out of some of the ad men. Roger Sterling raises the issue of working for the upcoming Nixon presidential campaign and while Don doesn't have much enthusiasm, senior partner Bert Cooper insists that they will go ahead and orders Don to put a team together. The creative team has to come up with an ad campaign for a new deodorant in an aerosol spray can. Betty Draper's doctor recommends ..
Airs Apr. 8, 7:00AM EDT Airing SoonSunday, April 8, 7:00 AM EDT AMC

S1, Ep3
Aug. 2, 2007 Marriage of Figaro
Pete Campbell returns from his honeymoon with tall tales and a big grin on his face. He does tell Peggy Olson that their fling before his marriage was for one night only. Don Draper runs into an old army buddy who knows him under the name of Dick Whitman. He also takes a tour of Rachel Menken's store but in a private moment, their mutual attraction becomes evident. The Drapers have friends over for their daughter's birthday party, including the divorcée who lives down the street. Don however is obviously unhappy with his lot in life and seems to be carrying a burden ...
Airs Apr. 8, 8:00AM EDT Airing SoonSunday, April 8, 8:00 AM EDT AMC

S1, Ep4
Aug. 9, 2007 New Amsterdam
Pete Campbell oversteps the mark when he pitches an idea for ad campaign to the head of Bethlehem Steel without telling Don Draper. Draper wants him fired but learns a lesson in corporate politics. Pete's wife wants to buy a Manhattan apartment but he has to approach his cold and distant parents for a loan. Pete's in-laws, however, are more forthcoming.
Airs Apr. 15, 6:00AM EDT

............etc etc etc [www.imdb.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home