Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger Essentials
Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 18, 2020 13:06

Just seen this...

[music.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-18 13:08 by MrTurner.

Re: Mick Jagger Essentials
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:04

I wonder.. do people exist who are fans of Mick Jagger's solo work but don't like his work with the Stones?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:34

NilsHolgersson
I wonder.. do people exist who are fans of Mick Jagger's solo work but don't like his work with the Stones?

I know at least one … my now ex wife!

C

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:37

Let's Work and Charmed Life? Essentially awful. The rest of it... some good tunes on there.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 18, 2020 20:03

I do not consider him a good musician, if it were not for all the work he has done with the group...

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 18, 2020 20:15

NilsHolgersson

Yes, I imagine there are but I don't know what the politically correct term is for these kind of people. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-18 20:16 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:19

The list should have been the Wandering Spirit album with Blue tagged on the end. Job done.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:23

TornAndFried
NilsHolgersson

Yes, I imagine there are but I don't know what the politically correct term is for these kind of people. winking smiley
Lunatics?!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:39

Reminiscing about a 24 year old guy showing off his vinyl collection. For some reason he was very keen on my opinion of him owning Primitive Cool, which was the only thing Stones related. I could only come up with "Did you ever actually listen to that?"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:46

'Warring People' from Superheavy is one of the best Mick Jagger songs of this century. It's not a solo cut, but it's damn good.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:52

Nikkei
Reminiscing about a 24 year old guy showing off his vinyl collection. For some reason he was very keen on my opinion of him owning Primitive Cool, which was the only thing Stones related. I could only come up with "Did you ever actually listen to that?"
But it has more intriguing cover art comparing to Grrr! winking smiley

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 19, 2020 02:50

Growing up in the 80's...
My friend Domenic was a huge Ozzy fan...
He only listened to Ozzy 22 hours a day and Black Sabbath and Night Ranger the other 2 hours.

But when Primitive Cool came out...

He LOVED "Let's Work"...so much that he actually
bought Primitive Cool and listened to "Let's Work" constantly.

I said to him...I don't get it...you listen to Ozzy, Black Sabbath & Night Ranger exclusively...how do you like "Let's Work"?...and he said "I Love The Message of the Song"!

PECMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2020 02:53

Heck Pecman …. ya better not spin
CS Blues in front of Domenic …. or behind him for that matter ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 19, 2020 02:57

Maggie Thatcher gotten the better of him. Both of them actually

Date: March 19, 2020 03:04

Pecman
Growing up in the 80's...
My friend Domenic was a huge Ozzy fan...
He only listened to Ozzy 22 hours a day and Black Sabbath and Night Ranger the other 2 hours.

But when Primitive Cool came out...

He LOVED "Let's Work"...so much that he actually
bought Primitive Cool and listened to "Let's Work" constantly.

I said to him...I don't get it...you listen to Ozzy, Black Sabbath & Night Ranger exclusively...how do you like "Let's Work"?...and he said "I Love The Message of the Song"!

PECMAN

He must have stopped listening to music 24/7 and picked up a job then!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 19, 2020 14:13

Pecman

PECMAN

He must really really like the live Ozzy album with Brad Gillis on it!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 19, 2020 14:15

I loved Superheavy, and actually most of Jaggers solo albums. Stones work much better of course, but a lot to like on his solo albums.

Date: March 19, 2020 14:32

Mick’s essentials are Keith and Charlie.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 19, 2020 15:31

NilsHolgersson

Pretty hard to think that there are any individual Stones member fans who like like solo stuff by a given member and not that of the Stones. With Mick and Keith that is obvious because whatever they do they breathe Rolling Stones, and it is always the distinction between the real thing and the reduction (this doesn't mean that occasionally Mick and Keith might do better music alone than together under the umbrella notion of the Stones). Creatively, they are the Stones. Probably some people who like jazz but not rock music might like Charlie's solo stuff but not the Stones. Some hardcore Faces fans might like Wood's solo stuff but not the Stones. Some blues guitar nerds might like Taylor's solo stuff but not the Stones (unless there is Taylor involved). Bill Wyman? That asks some very idiosyncratic taste!grinning smiley

That said, I like John Lennon's solo stuff, but I am not particularly fond of the Beatles.

Anyway, this thread is a good reminder that despite the corona tragedy, life goes on as normal: IORR, especially the mannish Keith Richards block, bitching about Mick Jagger!thumbs upgrinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-19 15:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2020 15:35

Memo from Turner and Wander Spirit, the whole album, are the twin peaks of his solo career.

Some other more individual highlights in the other albums, but overall, not too great.

I happen to think the Superheavy project was excellent.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 19, 2020 16:47

FrogSugar,,

You nailed it...the guy was a Brad Gillis freak...Speak Of The Devil
was his favorite album.

PECMAN

Date: March 19, 2020 19:39

Out of boredom I listened to SuperHeavy again today after like 8 years, there's some good stuff on it.

Date: March 19, 2020 19:47

Some Mick stuff I like that's not on the Essentials collection:

"(You Gotta Walk And) Don't Look Back"
[www.youtube.com]

"Lucky in Love"
[www.youtube.com]

"Commit a Crime"
[www.youtube.com]

"Sweet Thing"
[www.youtube.com]

"Visions of Paradise"
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 20, 2020 02:00

GasLightStreet
Let's Work and Charmed Life? Essentially awful. The rest of it... some good tunes on there.

Both extremely horrible ... along with those 2 England tunes he did about 3 years ago, don't recall their names.

I actually poked a pencil thru my eardrums because of listening to those songs.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 20, 2020 02:02

24FPS
'Warring People' from Superheavy is one of the best Mick Jagger songs of this century. It's not a solo cut, but it's damn good.

Agree, but not sure that is even my favorite ... I love that entire album!

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 20, 2020 12:55

rogerriffin
I do not consider him a good musician, if it were not for all the work he has done with the group...

Not even harmonica player? Would that be harmonica-ist?

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: March 20, 2020 15:58

Wish I could have been in the room when they decided to put Let's Work on this. Must have been awkward for someone.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: March 20, 2020 16:27

Say You Will?

Sweet Thing?

Out of Focus?

Evening Gown?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 20, 2020 16:42

LeonidP
GasLightStreet

Both extremely horrible ... along with those 2 England tunes he did about 3 years ago, don't recall their names.

England Lost was the better of the two. Maybe "more interesting" is a better way to say it. I found it entertaining and sonically modern, it's a bit funny and has some elements of humor in it that remind me of Too Much Bloodm but that's always been his problem - behind the curve. There's nothing exceptional on BRIDGES TO BABYLON because of the modern production - in fact, none of it is interesting, it all sounds whatever. The normal produced songs are more interesting.

England Lost is certainly not as stupid as Gotta Get A Grip.

I don't know any of the song titles from SuperLite.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 22, 2020 19:19

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

England Lost was the better of the two. Maybe "more interesting" is a better way to say it. I found it entertaining and sonically modern, it's a bit funny and has some elements of humor in it that remind me of Too Much Bloodm but that's always been his problem - behind the curve. There's nothing exceptional on BRIDGES TO BABYLON because of the modern production - in fact, none of it is interesting, it all sounds whatever. The normal produced songs are more interesting.

England Lost is certainly not as stupid as Gotta Get A Grip.

I don't know any of the song titles from SuperLite.

you certainly must be familiar with the eponymous lead single?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1625
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home