Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Americana, new album out June 5th
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:55

keefriffhard4life
Gazza
keefriffhard4life
Naturalust
They're not that goofy. These guys put a good stamp of authenticity on every one of these tunes, fun stuff. Neil has been playing the crap out of these little gems lately, on a kick I guess you'd say. Reliving his wasted youth or something. peace

doesn't the press release though say a childrens choir will be singing on the album though? sounds goofy to me

Goofy?

If the Stones did a covers album of 80 year old blues songs, we'd be all over it.

Genius makes its own rules.

i'll wait and hear something from it before i judge but the press release clearly says kids are singing on the album too

You're gonna be pleasantly surprised riffer, unless you got something against kids.confused smiley

I'll bet that when you were one , you knew good rock when you heard it. This is Crazy Horse after all, they ain't gonna put out any wimpy stuff. Let us know what you think after a coupla listens. peace

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:59

ab
I've got every album Neil Young ever made and have followed him for more than 40 years, but, sorry, this sounds cringe-inducing.

"Living with War" was cringe-inducing.

Don't spook The Horse

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 21, 2012 09:16

ab
I've got every album Neil Young ever made and have followed him for more than 40 years, but, sorry, this sounds cringe-inducing.

I agree. confused smiley

This could rival Dylan's Christmas album as far as cornball covers are concerned.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:37

"Genius makes its own rules"

As much as I love NY I wouldn't call him a genius. When you look at the sheer amount of crap songs he wrote and tested in front of a paying audience, well...

Mercifully he buried most of these tunes but they survive thru countless aud live tapes made thru the years. And believe me there are some serious stinkers...

NY's discography is the cream of the crop in that respect.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 21, 2012 11:56

Sounds absolutely awful.

Neil has been known to misfire spectacularly: Trans sounds like Daleks copulating. Landing On Water is dreadful.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 13:41

Hairball
ab

I agree. confused smiley

This could rival Dylan's Christmas album as far as cornball covers are concerned.

How about actually waiting until it comes out, listen to it and THEN make your judgments. Jeez!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 21, 2012 14:17

"It's just the normal noises in here"

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 21, 2012 14:20

I'll order it but I'm am very afraid !

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 14:23

Really ab?,

Do you really believe this will not be a better album than Landing on Water?

I love Neil...have many Albums & CD's ...official release and some boots.First concert at MSG in '78. I try to see him everytime he comes around & even travel a bit to see him. While I don't enjoy everything he does (Greendale) I do respect the man & artistry. I look forward to listing to Americana. Hopefully get to hear/see him live again soon here in FL.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 21, 2012 14:29

Max'sKansasCity
YEAH!!!! N.Y. AND C.H.!!!!!!!

Looking forward to this new material, however the image they chose makes them look like The Village People:

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 21, 2012 14:46

chrism13
Really ab?,

I love Neil...have many Albums & CD's ...official release and some boots.First concert at MSG in '78. I try to see him everytime he comes around & even travel a bit to see him. While I don't enjoy everything he does (Greendale) I do respect the man & artistry. I look forward to listing to Americana. Hopefully get to hear/see him live again soon here in FL.

It might be better than Landing on Water, but that isn't saying much. Neil has made several of my very favorite albums (Nowhere, Gold Rush, Tonight's the Night, On the Beach, Zuma, Rust, Ragged Glory), but he has also made more than his share of outright stinkers (Trans, Everybody's Rockin', Landing on Water, Greendale, Fork in the Road). With Neil, one has to be willing to ride out his less inspired whims on the way to something brilliant.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:10

Reactor and Chrome Dreams are amongst my favourite albums by him.
His new one seems to be strange,but as long as I haven´t listened to it,
I´ll keep my mouth shut.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:27

keefriffhard4life
Gazza
keefriffhard4life
Naturalust
They're not that goofy. These guys put a good stamp of authenticity on every one of these tunes, fun stuff. Neil has been playing the crap out of these little gems lately, on a kick I guess you'd say. Reliving his wasted youth or something. peace

doesn't the press release though say a childrens choir will be singing on the album though? sounds goofy to me

Goofy?

If the Stones did a covers album of 80 year old blues songs, we'd be all over it.

Genius makes its own rules.

i'll wait and hear something from it before i judge but the press release clearly says kids are singing on the album too

So? Is it illegal or something? confused smiley

There's a Bach choir on 'You Cant always get what you want'. Is that 'goofy' ?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:31

Rock and Roll is good clean fun for children of all ages.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 21, 2012 16:21

Gazza
Naturalust

In Shakey We Trust....

"Living With War." TWO versions.

Date: March 21, 2012 16:29

In fairness it' been said Neil was working on TWO Crazy Horse albums. Maybe he'll put out a real one after this vanity project implodes.

Date: March 21, 2012 17:11

Ha! loved The Village People reference. Interesting background
on the "Americana" cover over there at Thrasher's Wheat.

"Listen Before You Judge"

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 21, 2012 17:51

ab
chrism13
Really ab?,

And what do you guys think of the album with Crazy Horse called 'Life'? Is it any good?

It might be better than Landing on Water, but that isn't saying much. Neil has made several of my very favorite albums (Nowhere, Gold Rush, Tonight's the Night, On the Beach, Zuma, Rust, Ragged Glory), but he has also made more than his share of outright stinkers (Trans, Everybody's Rockin', Landing on Water, Greendale, Fork in the Road). With Neil, one has to be willing to ride out his less inspired whims on the way to something brilliant.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 21, 2012 17:55

Bruce Springsteen released a cover album of folk songs and it was pretty damn good. Why can't Neil and Crazy Horse do the same without being shit on? Listen before you judge! They do a Woody Guthrie song. He was a bad ass! A punk before the word even existed. I can't wait to hear how they interpret him. I hope they sing the original version of "This Land Is Your Land". And who cares if they use a children's choir? It was used quite nicely on Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2. Listen before you judge.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 21, 2012 18:00

QUOTE-
"They're songs we all know from kindergarden, but Crazy Horse has rearranged them, and they now belong to us."

Date: March 21, 2012 20:44

Roll73
Hairball
ab

I agree. confused smiley

How about actually waiting until it comes out, listen to it and THEN make your judgments. Jeez!

Well I did say "this could..."...

I haven't actually judged anything yet, but one doesn't always need proof to know that if it looks like shit, it probably is shit.

I love Neil as much as anyone (I'm part of the 1% who actually loved Greendale and the tour), but this seems to stretch the boundaries of common sense.
Before any final judgement though, we shall wait, listen, and see...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-21 20:46 by Hairball.

Date: March 21, 2012 20:56

R
Gazza
Naturalust

In Shakey We Trust....

Great record. (prefer the 'overdubs' version myself). Cant think why YOU dont like it, though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 21, 2012 20:57

GumbootCloggeroo
Bruce Springsteen released a cover album of folk songs and it was pretty damn good. Why can't Neil and Crazy Horse do the same without being shit on? Listen before you judge! They do a Woody Guthrie song. He was a bad ass! A punk before the word even existed. I can't wait to hear how they interpret him. I hope they sing the original version of "This Land Is Your Land". And who cares if they use a children's choir? It was used quite nicely on Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2. Listen before you judge.

thumbs up

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 21, 2012 21:43

Max'sKansasCity
"It's just the normal noises in here"

...well then, I say "Damn the torpedoes" because "Even the losers......." well, you know the rest.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 22, 2012 06:38

Life is an improvement over Landing on Water, but it's still not very good: lots of synths and a crappy drum sound throughout. The uptempo rock songs are throwaways, but When Your Lonely Heart Breaks is a keeper.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 22, 2012 13:08

So's this.

Date: March 22, 2012 14:53

Gazza
R
Gazza
Naturalust

In Shakey We Trust....

Great record. (prefer the 'overdubs' version myself). Cant think why YOU dont like it, though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

They should have been subtitled "Worse" and "More Of It." By ANY artistic standard they're horrible albums, politics not withstanding.

Date: March 23, 2012 18:49

Neil's people released what is the current version of liner notes
that will accompany "Americana". Dunno if this is a response to the
swift overreaction to an LP that hasn't been heard or perhaps Neil
himself thought that this unusual release ( define "usual" ) would
need explaining.

Two reader responses to this release reiterate reason against
the unfounded negative response. I thought the end of this post
was so good, I copied it here from Thrasher's Wheat:

"As for those who worry about girl's choirs and imperialism
and such in Neil's music or artwork - hey, it's just music.
He's just going where the muse leads him and trying to make
art and have fun. No Native Americans or young girls or fans
of hard-rocking Neil Young were injured in the making
of this music.
"

Pri¢ele$$.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:20

From "Americana" liner notes

God Save The Queen

Written in the 18th century with possible melodic roots in the 17th century, this anthem has been sung throughout the British Commonwealth and may have been sung in North America before the American Revolution and Declaration of Independence in 1776, which rejected British sovereignty. The Americana arrangement draws from the original melody and changes some melody and lyrics in the folk process, also adding lyrics of the same melody taken from “My Country ’Tis Of Thee”, in recognition of the war of Independence and America’s transition to freedom.

More here : [neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

Date: March 24, 2012 01:42

kowalski
From "Americana" liner notes

God Save The Queen

Written in the 18th century with possible melodic roots in the 17th century, this anthem has been sung throughout the British Commonwealth and may have been sung in North America before the American Revolution and Declaration of Independence in 1776, which rejected British sovereignty. The Americana arrangement draws from the original melody and changes some melody and lyrics in the folk process, also adding lyrics of the same melody taken from “My Country ’Tis Of Thee”, in recognition of the war of Independence and America’s transition to freedom.

More here : [neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

Travel On

“Gotta Travel On”, adapted by Paul Clayton and others from a British folk tune, was recorded by Billy Grammer in 1958. His version is an American classic. The song tells of a man who has to keep moving for a variety of reasons, all common with American life. The Americana arrangement is based on Billy Grammer’s version with some lyric changes.

This is absolutely GREAT stuff, but will Neil do it justice? I think he will...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home