Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: John Sebatian interview re Lovin' Spoonful tribute
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 2, 2020 17:57

Nice interview with Sebastian. The Lovin' Spoonful are still a good listen, IMHO.

[variety.com]

Re: OT: John Sebatian interview re Lovin' Spoonful tribute
Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 2, 2020 19:16

Very talented and underrated band.

what always surprised me being from Argentina is that Zal Yanovsky named his 1968 solo album " Alive and Well in Argentina"

bye
Fernando

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 2, 2020 19:28

Thanks for posting.

I was at that show.

As a fan of the Lovin' Spoonful since the 60's, it was a I-think-I've-died-and-gone-to-heaven kind of experience. A deep dive into their catalog, with so many brilliant performances by a variety of artists--many who began by speaking of their genuine love of the Spoonful and their music.

The Spoonful finally reunited (for a "get together" as Sebastian called it) and did it for a great cause (Autism awareness). In doing so they got to witness the kind of tribute to their work that they deserved for such a long time, but has somehow eluded them.

You even got a slide show before the show of never-before-seen photos taken back in the day by the legendary Henry Diltz (who was there)

[variety.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-03 21:31 by loog droog.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 2, 2020 19:45

Fernandobsas
Very talented and underrated band.

what always surprised me being from Argentina is that Zal Yanovsky named his 1968 solo album " Alive and Well in Argentina"

That was Zal having a joke about his pariah status in the counterculture after his drug bust, which led to him leaving the band.

He was likening himself to Nazi war criminals who were hiding in Argentina after the war.

Zally was Jewish. The title track opens with a recording of Israel's national anthem coming out of one speaker, and "Deutschland Uber Alles" coming out of the other.

Then it goes into a madcap singalong with a piano that sounds like something in a Jay Ward cartoon.

Zally was out there. He had an outrageous sense of humor that took no prisoners.

He was casual about his talent and indifferent to fame. Try to imagine if Eric Clapton had the personality of Keith Moon.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 2, 2020 20:21

Loog many many thanks for the explanation why Zally named his album like that.

thanks god there is no more nazzis living here.

bye from Argentina

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2020 20:23

The LS are a great band - I love the variety of styles.

Lovin' Spoonful with Diamonds = LSD drinking smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 2, 2020 21:02

Lovin Spoonful definitely a tad underrated. I say a tad because they ain't no "Who" or anything from that time. But for what they were, of those bands like the Dave Clark Five, like so many others, they were truly top of their class. Had tremendous hits that still live on today. Accomplished very much in a very short amount of time. John Sebastian will always be John Sebastian. They definitely deserve more praise than they get. Their Greatest Hits album is front to back a masterpiece. Not a bad song in the bunch. Glad to see them getting some recognition here.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 2, 2020 23:09

I wonder if this was taped, it would be nice to see it. Zal Yanovsky settled in Kingston, down the lake from here, and opened a restaurant 40 years ago, Chez Piggy is still a local institution there. Worth a visit!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 3, 2020 00:15

Thanks for posting the interview - a great read and I have shared with a few other
fans. I’ve seen John perform a couple times and he always hangs out after the show to sign CDs and chat with his fans. His shows are excellent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home