Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Whose Guitar Style Do You Prefer ?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 29, 2020 05:41

This is an informal survey of the solo performances of three very talented and famous rock guitarists. Please refer to the YouTube video entitled The Rolling Stones With John Mayer-2012. Listen to Respectable played first by John Mayer, Ronnie Wood, then Keith Richards.

I think my choice is the obvious one, but I am not going to say who I like best, for fear it may influence the survey.

Re: Whose Guitar Style Do You Prefer ?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 29, 2020 14:38

Link?

Date: February 29, 2020 15:06

Date: February 29, 2020 15:36

Hmm..
JM has a great sound on his Strat, and you can't fault him for over-playing. he's on stage with the Stones, and he is obviously going to bring some fire. He is bit more relaxed on his second solo.
Ronnie sounds good, but one wonders why he doesn't give his Strat some bottom in the sound.
Keith is the best IMO because he is all double stops.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 29, 2020 16:06

I believe Keith does the best job. It carries on the melody of the song, which is Respectable. Ronnie is next, and Mayer is last. He plays way too many notes, and it is a solo that could be played with just about any other fast paced rock song.

The Keith style is easily recognizable, and always very good.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: February 29, 2020 16:55

Whose guitar style I do prefer on almost every song is:
The Rev. Billy F Gibbons. smoking smiley

oops - sorry for going ot

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 29, 2020 17:50

This is a song that was probably lost to much of the crowd at the show as it wasn't a big time hit or well known tune they were familiar with. A good listen if you wanna hear the Stones put more guitar into a song. No solo stood out for me, though, KR's was the most economical in terms of notes being played.

As for whose guitar style I prefer, for rock, there's only one: Mister Jimi Hendrix.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 29, 2020 18:17

I like whoever played guitar for Merle Haggard. Talk about economical and great tone.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 29, 2020 18:39

Merle Haggard had a great band. His guitarist for a number of years was Roy Nichols. Very tasty player, knowing just what to play in a song without overdoing it, sort of like Harrison in the Beatles. Here's a link re Nichols.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 29, 2020 19:52

Woody has a hand for picking out guitars that truly lack in style. The yellow one with the blue marble in it being just the latest example. Then there's of course the faux sitar jobs. I also remember a totally disfigured looking Rickenbacker or something

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 29, 2020 20:50

Nikkei
Woody has a hand for picking out guitars that truly lack in style. The yellow one with the blue marble in it being just the latest example. Then there's of course the faux sitar jobs. I also remember a totally disfigured looking Rickenbacker or something

Agreed. Here is an example of Woody guitar fail. Of all the great guitars he has in his collection for some reason he chose this crappy Epiphone to play "Stay With Me" with Rod Stewart at Royal Albert Hall in 2013. His tone sucks here.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-29 23:22 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 29, 2020 23:09

dmay
Merle Haggard had a great band. His guitarist for a number of years was Roy Nichols. Very tasty player, knowing just what to play in a song without overdoing it, sort of like Harrison in the Beatles. Here's a link re Nichols.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Great to know. Thank you.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 29, 2020 23:25

Awww... Keith, of course!

This show had a great set list - 22 songs including The Last Time and Around And Around. Love to see the likes of that again, but it was great just to be there!

[iorr.org]

Date: February 29, 2020 23:29

Interesting to see that Jagger takes John on stage. For musical reasons or what?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2020 00:14

Keith …. go in -- do the damage then get out …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 1, 2020 01:40

Keith Richards
Nick Taylor
Jimi Hendrix
Chuck Berry
Buddy Guy
David Gilmour
Michael Schenker
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
John Fogerty
Billy Duffy
Brian May
Jimmy Page
The Edge

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: March 1, 2020 03:49

I love Ronnie the best. JMs a great player and plays great but just doesn’t feel right for the song. His tone is great, but too much gain for Stones. Ronnies tone is good, classic strat sound.

Keith is great too but he plays the same lick in every solo which eras me. Great feel and grove if his fingers could only do what he wanted them too...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 1, 2020 04:34

SomeTorontoGirl
Awww... Keith, of course!

This show had a great set list - 22 songs including The Last Time and Around And Around. Love to see the likes of that again, but it was great just to be there!

[iorr.org]
I was there!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home