Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: Rolling Stone: Keith Apologies to Mick
Date: March 19, 2012 07:39

Stoneage
It seems that Keith never could stomach the fact that Mick was the main star or the leader of the band. It's the usual lead singer and lead guitarist trauma. It's even down to such details as who's entering the stage first or last.

Do you think Aerosmith copied that as well, did they miss that one or did they find it on their own? It wasn't brought up in that thread.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 19, 2012 09:38

Stoneage

It seems that Keith never could stomach the fact that Mick was the main star or the leader of the band. It's the usual lead singer and lead guitarist trauma. It's even down to such details as who's entering the stage first or last.

I think that is something to do in the history of The Rolling Stones that of any of them Keith's ego has changed the most during the yaers. He seems to be the member in the band whose persona and, most importantly, role within the band has most changed during the years. Remember, he was there in the band only because Mick wanted him to be. He was Mick's pal, and Mick insisted to have Keith as well if he was going to join to Brian's band. And his position wasn't any fixed at all; Keith's mom said that Keith didn't miss any gig or rehearsal, no matter how sick he was, because he was afraid that he would be replaced with someone else. And after the band started to get name, Keith was the middle man between teh two shining stars of the group - Mick and Brian - on one hand and the less profilic "backing nand" (Bill, Charlie, Stu) on the other. Of course, when ALO kicked the asses of Mick and Keith to write, and Keith turned to be the composer of the group, his importance within the group started to increase dramatically. And this very much co-incidented with Brian's decline. By the end of the 60's, Keith role as the second most important member of the group was esablished among fans, and to a degree in media, but it would take until the early 80's that he would gain such a status Brian used to have, actually challenging Jagger's place in the spotlight. And Keith seemed to have enjoyed every drop of fame and appraisal, and as the years go by, it has just gotten worse. LIFE was a logical move in that 'progression' - he rewrote the history of the band, especially its early days and foundation, and of course, used the chance to mock and belittle the two big guys that were always above of him. To me eyes, in reading the recollections of LIFE, there is very small person and little boy in Keith "boy scout" Richards who is damn insecure, bitter and jealous for the actual big guys. It must have been a hell for him to stand in the shadow of these two strong characters.

Personally, I used to admire "Keith's story" within the history of The Rolling Stones as a story of progress - how one starts from zero and develops during the years, and takes his deserved place in the sun, etc. but it has developed to a stage that it has turned to be ugly. Keith Richards is seemingly the member of the Rolling Stones into whose head the fame has most affected. In many ways he resembles Brian Jones - the biggest victim of his mocking during the years. But like I said, it took some twenty years for him to actually take Brian's original position within the band, and challenge Mick Jagger. (The analagy of Keith to Brian could make even furher, but I won't go to that now.)

So in this way, Keith's take on "Little Red Rooster" in Sumlin gig is funny to reflect - there he is doing both parts - the slide and the vocals - those two guys in front of him played so inceredibly well back in the day that it took the number to the top of British single charts.... Now all the spotlight is on him...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 10:02 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 19, 2012 09:48

Doxa
Stoneage

I hink tah is something to do in the history of The Rolling Stones that of any of them Keith's ego has changed the most during the yaers. He seems to be the only member in the band whose persona and, most importantly, role has most changed during the years. Rememeber, he was there in the band only because Mick wanted him to be. He was Mick's pal, and Mick insisted to Keith get as wll if he was going to join to Brian's band. And his position wasn't any fixed at all; Keith mom said that Keith didn't miss any gig or rehearsal, no matter how sick he was, because he was afraid that he would be replaced with someone else. And after the band stareed to get name, Keith was teh middle man betwwn teh two shining stars of the group - Mick and Brian - and the less profilic "backing nand" (Bill, Charlie, Stu). Of course, when ALO kicked Mck and Keith to write, and Keith turned to be the composer of the group, his simprtance within the group started to increase dramatically. And this very much co-incidented with Brian's decline. By the end of teh 60's Keith role as teh second most importnat meer of the group was esablished among fans, and to a degree in medua, but it wold take until the early 80's that he would gain such a status Brian used to have, actually challenging Jagger's place in the spotlight. And Keith seemed to have enjoyed every drop of fame and appraisal, and as the years go by, it has just gotten worse. LIFE was a logical move in that progression - he rwrote the history of the band, especially is early days and foundation, and of course, used the chance to mock and belittle teh two big guys that were always above of him. To me eyes , in readong the recollections of LIFE, there is very small person and little boy in Keith "boy scout" Richards who is damn insecure, bitter and jealous for the actual big guys. It must have been a hell for him to stand in the shadow of these two strong characters.

Personally, I used to admire "Keith's story" within the history of The Rolling Stones as a story of progress - how one starts from zero and develops during the years, and takes his deserved place in the sun, etc. but it has developed to a stage that it has turned to be ugly. Keith Richards is seemingly the member of the Rolling Stones into whose head the fame has most affected. In many ways he resembles Brian Jones - the biggest victim of his mocking during the years. But like I said, it took some twenty years for him to actualy take Brian's original role within the band, and challenge Mick Jagger. (The analagy of Keith to Brian could make even furher, but I won't go to that now.)

So in this way, Keith's take on "Little Red Rooster" in Sumlin gig is funny to reflect - there he is doing both parts - the slide and the vocals - those two guys in front of him played so inceredibly well back in the day that it took the number to the top of British single charts.... Now all the spotlight is on him...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Doxa - recent pic posts of Keith aging are disconcerting. I only wish the best. However, I trust your wisdom and contributions. Will the Stones tour again?

Date: March 19, 2012 10:27

Chris, I don't trust my insticts concerning the tour, or some selected dates, at all. My opinion changes daily. When I read LIFE I was certain that The Rolling Stones will never perform again. I took the book as Keith's last contribution he could ever do - just tell the story; I was almost shocked how little loyalty he had for the band and was able to broke the "code". Well, there was not much newsworthy in the sense of mocking Jagger, but in the context of work that took to write some two years, that sounded like a reflected statement - not a drunken comment in a the euphoria of interview. My impression was that if he still would have been a functional memeber of the group, he would never had the book relaesed.

But then, the hype over 50th Anniversary started, and naturally the rumours and hints about possible reunion spread. And I was certain that there will a tour in some sense of the word; some very reliable sources and factors seemed indicating that. But at the moment it doesn't look very promising though. It is just Richards talking of possible 2013 performances, while Jagger remains silent. No, I don't think any claim of LIFE stand in a way for re-union. They (Mick) are professional and thick-skinned enough if there is a million or two to pick up. I think what is is the real issue (problem) is the actual healthiness and condition of Keith (or any other memer of the group). What you, Chris, said about Keith's pics - and clips - that does not offer much hope. I also wish Keith the best, but there is a sadden part in me reflecting that is this only "keeping up appearances" what Keith does nowadays in public, and the reality - his actual condition as a musician - might as bad as many of us here are afraid of. And LIFE actually was Keith's way of saying good bye to The Rolling Stones.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 10:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 19, 2012 14:07

Doxa
Chris, I don't trust my insticts concerning the tour, or some selected dates, at all. My opinion changes daily. When I read LIFE I was certain that The Rolling Stones will never perform again. I took the book as Keith's last contribution he could ever do - just tell the story; I was almost shocked how little loyalty he had for the band and was able to broke the "code". Well, there was not much newsworthy in the sense of mocking Jagger, but in the context of work that took to write some two years, that sounded like a reflected statement - not a drunken comment in a the euphoria of interview. My impression was that if he still would have been a functional memeber of the group, he would never had the book relaesed.

But then, the hype over 50th Anniversary started, and naturally the rumours and hints about possible reunion spread. And I was certain that there will a tour in some sense of the word; some very reliable sources and factors seemed indicating that. But at the moment it doesn't look very promising though. It is just Richards talking of possible 2013 performances, while Jagger remains silent. No, I don't think any claim of LIFE stand in a way for re-union. They (Mick) are professional and thick-skinned enough if there is a million or two to pick up. I think what is is the real issue (problem) is the actual healthiness and condition of Keith (or any other memer of the group). What you, Chris, said about Keith's pics - and clips - that does not offer much hope. I also wish Keith the best, but there is a sadden part in me reflecting that is this only "keeping up appearances" what Keith does nowadays in public, and the reality - his actual condition as a musician - might as bad as many of us here are afraid of. And LIFE actually was Keith's way of saying good bye to The Rolling Stones.

- Doxa

Yeah, and the title could also say: Keith has his Life ahead of him - after The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 19, 2012 14:56

Despite all that's been said the whole Mick taking too much control was the cause and, supposedly, all worked out after the 83-88 World War 3. When Mick says the same thing again you wonder how much they actually worked out leading up t oSteel Wheels.

I'd love Mick to write his autobiography, not to contradict, criticise, or get one back at Keith but to hear the story from his viewpoint, and I'd love to be researcher for that !!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 20, 2012 04:12

Doxa
Stoneage

I think that is something to do in the history of The Rolling Stones that of any of them Keith's ego has changed the most during the yaers. He seems to be the member in the band whose persona and, most importantly, role within the band has most changed during the years. Remember, he was there in the band only because Mick wanted him to be. He was Mick's pal, and Mick insisted to have Keith as well if he was going to join to Brian's band. And his position wasn't any fixed at all; Keith's mom said that Keith didn't miss any gig or rehearsal, no matter how sick he was, because he was afraid that he would be replaced with someone else. And after the band started to get name, Keith was the middle man between teh two shining stars of the group - Mick and Brian - on one hand and the less profilic "backing nand" (Bill, Charlie, Stu) on the other. Of course, when ALO kicked the asses of Mick and Keith to write, and Keith turned to be the composer of the group, his importance within the group started to increase dramatically. And this very much co-incidented with Brian's decline. By the end of the 60's, Keith role as the second most important member of the group was esablished among fans, and to a degree in media, but it would take until the early 80's that he would gain such a status Brian used to have, actually challenging Jagger's place in the spotlight. And Keith seemed to have enjoyed every drop of fame and appraisal, and as the years go by, it has just gotten worse. LIFE was a logical move in that 'progression' - he rewrote the history of the band, especially its early days and foundation, and of course, used the chance to mock and belittle the two big guys that were always above of him. To me eyes, in reading the recollections of LIFE, there is very small person and little boy in Keith "boy scout" Richards who is damn insecure, bitter and jealous for the actual big guys. It must have been a hell for him to stand in the shadow of these two strong characters.

Personally, I used to admire "Keith's story" within the history of The Rolling Stones as a story of progress - how one starts from zero and develops during the years, and takes his deserved place in the sun, etc. but it has developed to a stage that it has turned to be ugly. Keith Richards is seemingly the member of the Rolling Stones into whose head the fame has most affected. In many ways he resembles Brian Jones - the biggest victim of his mocking during the years. But like I said, it took some twenty years for him to actually take Brian's original position within the band, and challenge Mick Jagger. (The analagy of Keith to Brian could make even furher, but I won't go to that now.)

- Doxa

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Very insightful Doxa and well written. I have to agree with you.

Date: March 20, 2012 04:18

Doxa
When I read LIFE I was certain that The Rolling Stones will never perform again.

And since you've been correct!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 20, 2012 07:26

By the end of the 60's, Keith role as the second most important member of the group was esablished among fans, and to a degree in media, but it would take until the early 80's that he would gain such a status Brian used to have, actually challenging Jagger's place in the spotlight. - Doxa

I don't agree with this at all. Keith's status was firmly fixed by the early 70s as the dark bad boy of the group. Brian never had the status Keith had, at least not in the States. Brian was more of a European phenomena. At the time of his death it was confusing as to exactly who he was. Keith was always the one on stage playing the rocking leads. He's the one we saw play the fuzzbox guitar on Satisfaction. Remember that Brian's tour de force, Little Red Rooster, was not the hit in America that it was in the U.K. By the early 70s Keith was on the top of the list of Next Rock Star to Die. He was the epitome of wasted rock debauchery. While Brian was rarely mentioned as a rock casualty in the realm of Hendrix and the others of the early 70s. Keith may not have been interviewed much at that time, but that made him all the more decadent and mysterious. And his bust in '77 certainly reinforced the international image he'd already cultivated with the iconic 1972 photo A DRUG FREE AMERICA COMES FIRST.

I don't think Keith ever challenged Mick for the spotlight. Keith simply had a little more of his own spotlight. He proved to be a more interesting interview, no matter how dotty the info might be. Mick's individual musical stardom has only grown, especially with his high profile shots at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary, the 2011 Grammys and recently at the White House Blues Tribute. Keith's musical profile has dissipated. He's now known as Jack Sparrow's gargoyle dad in Disney movies.

And now Keith finds himself in the odd position of being the Stone who now has to prove himself musically.

Date: March 20, 2012 10:52

Silver Dagger
His Majesty
Naturalust
His Majesty
kleermaker
O, reading the thread title I thought he apologized to Mick Taylor. But perhaps he does so later. Who knows.

What does he have to apologise to Taylor about?

Besides a few public less than complimentary cuts I would think some money and songwriting credit matters could be content for such. But then again one-on-one relationships fall under a different set of rules when both people are famous. One good smile and a heartfelt hug, in front of say 300,000 people would probably do the trick. peace

Song writing credits? Lol.

No man, naturalust is right. Taylor got royally ripped off for his great input. He was more than a bit part player during his tenure. It wouldn't have broken Keith's bank to cut Taylor in on the copyright of a few songs he helped shape up.

And who was in charge business-wise, Keith? LOL!

Date: March 20, 2012 11:02

24FPS
By the end of the 60's, Keith role as the second most important member of the group was esablished among fans, and to a degree in media, but it would take until the early 80's that he would gain such a status Brian used to have, actually challenging Jagger's place in the spotlight. - Doxa

I don't agree with this at all. Keith's status was firmly fixed by the early 70s as the dark bad boy of the group. Brian never had the status Keith had, at least not in the States. Brian was more of a European phenomena. At the time of his death it was confusing as to exactly who he was. Keith was always the one on stage playing the rocking leads. He's the one we saw play the fuzzbox guitar on Satisfaction. Remember that Brian's tour de force, Little Red Rooster, was not the hit in America that it was in the U.K. By the early 70s Keith was on the top of the list of Next Rock Star to Die. He was the epitome of wasted rock debauchery. While Brian was rarely mentioned as a rock casualty in the realm of Hendrix and the others of the early 70s. Keith may not have been interviewed much at that time, but that made him all the more decadent and mysterious. And his bust in '77 certainly reinforced the international image he'd already cultivated with the iconic 1972 photo A DRUG FREE AMERICA COMES FIRST.

I don't think Keith ever challenged Mick for the spotlight. Keith simply had a little more of his own spotlight. He proved to be a more interesting interview, no matter how dotty the info might be. Mick's individual musical stardom has only grown, especially with his high profile shots at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary, the 2011 Grammys and recently at the White House Blues Tribute. Keith's musical profile has dissipated. He's now known as Jack Sparrow's gargoyle dad in Disney movies.

And now Keith finds himself in the odd position of being the Stone who now has to prove himself musically.

Spot on!

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 11:10

Here, here! I second that emotion.

Date: March 20, 2012 11:48

24FPS

Yeah, you could be right in regards to US vs. Europe in seeing Brian's status. I wasn't in neither of the places at the time, so all I can see the past is based on second-hand material, and obviously I am more familiar with the European point of view.

Anyway, generally there is a quite big gap between the early/mid-60's and then the late 60's/70's fan generations - roughly, between Jones and Taylor eras, or pre and post BEGGRS BANQUET eras - and what I have wittnessed that quite many who were fans during the early days, lost the interest afterwards to follow the band. That historical phase - when the Stones actually had the biggest impact in the musical world - is unfortunately not very well covered in Rolling Stones discussion boards (we have even 'natural', Darwinian reasons for that). The Stones gather a new following later, and most of the harcore fans seem to derive from post-Jones days (which seem to lead to some sort of historical over-looking of the early days - remember, to correct that wicked picture was the motivation behind Wyman's STONE ALONE). I think what you said about people being confused what Brian actually was during the time of his death is pretty much reflecting the changing of the climate. Brian had pretty much disappaered from the public eye during his last two years in a band. The time were changing so rapidly then, and I think locating Brian already to the scene of 1969 started to sound difficult, and as the 70's go further, the idea of a rock star - and which instruments he plays, how he looks like, behaves like - pretty much was fixed. Today it is almost impossible to grasp Brian Jones in terms of rock and roll because he seem to escape all the typical, fixed rock musician categories, for example, he is not a Taylor-kind of 'nothing but a great guitar player' or Woodie-like Keith Richards-clone, but something rather different that I don't even have a good word for. But all in all he is so mid-60's phenomenon, a category of its own - he is acually earlier figure than, say other of the original 27 club - Hendrix, Morrison, or Joplin - that all are much easier to define.

But that doesn't change the fact that at his prime - 1962-67 - Brian Jones was with Mick clearly the face of The Rolling Stones to outside world. So much that Jagger needed to talk him over of not leaving the group in 1967 - that would have been a fatal image-loss for the band still then. But wheras Mick was the frontman, Brian was seen the best musician of them (whether it was true or not) - that seems to stick to the mind of anyone who knows something about 60's scene and is not much stunned by what the Stones have done ever since. Besides being the fashion leader in the world's most photographed band was not a small deal either. No matter how much we are stunned by "the world most elegantly wasted human being" - a picture pretty much born during the 70's - I would claim that it actually took quite many years for Keith's star to rise to the level Brian once had. All over the world. The guitarist about whom Muddy Waters said "the guitarist ain't bad either" was actually Brian Jones, and as he was the guy who seeing live made the pants of young Patti Smith wet. Brian Jones was the original Rolling Stone if anyone ever was.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-20 12:01 by Doxa.

Date: March 20, 2012 12:25

Doxa, I think you're putting to much into Brian's "front man-status". If he was, that would be only in the beginning of their career. By Satisfaction, the Jagger/Richard-team was well-established, musically, image-wise and visually on and off stage. By the early 70s, The Glimmer Twins could be seen as two frontmen in the media.

With Keith's drugbusts etc. he got the extra attention during the 70s, and when he kicked hard drugs, he became a favorite by the press, something that heightened his status to the public, imo.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:51

I didn't start liking the Stones until the 70s (Brown Sugar was probably my first Stones record and Sticky Fingers on cassette) but by then Keith was already the cool one. It's a bit of an over simplification but I think Keith was the most popular Stone in the music press while Mick was in the mainstream press.

Keith may have his brain addled a bit by drink, drugs, age and the fall but I can't forget his contribution to my musical life. He's still the man! However, as I've said before being pro Keith doesn't make me anti Mick, after all I'm a fan of the Stones.

Date: March 20, 2012 13:17

Braincapers
I didn't start liking the Stones until the 70s (Brown Sugar was probably my first Stones record and Sticky Fingers on cassette) but by then Keith was already the cool one. It's a bit of an over simplification but I think Keith was the most popular Stone in the music press while Mick was in the mainstream press.

Keith may have his brain addled a bit by drink, drugs, age and the fall but I can't forget his contribution to my musical life. He's still the man! However, as I've said before being pro Keith doesn't make me anti Mick, after all I'm a fan of the Stones.

thumbs up

Date: March 20, 2012 13:23

DandelionPowderman
Doxa, I think you're putting to much into Brian's "front man-status". If he was, that would be only in the beginning of their career. By Satisfaction, the Jagger/Richard-team was well-established, musically, image-wise and visually on and off stage. By the early 70s, The Glimmer Twins could be seen as two frontmen in the media.

With Keith's drugbusts etc. he got the extra attention during the 70s, and when he kicked hard drugs, he became a favorite by the press, something that heightened his status to the public, imo.

Technically, Brian lost his 'front-man status' probably around the time of "Satisfaction" that marked Keith first actual mark of showing instrumental extraordinary (Wyman shas a lot to say of how manufactured Keith's role actually was by ALO). But I think we are easily confusing our historical knowledge what happened behind the scenes or what would happen later and how it was seen in public at the time. I don't beleive that Jagger/Richard team was off-stage established at all in 1965 public. Jagger surely was but I beleive it took Redlands bust and the following trial probably to do that to both of them. Especially the picture that the ship was lead by Jagger/Richard material didn't jumped Keith's profil in a day to distinguished outfront from "one of the Rolling Stones" status. Nor his instrumental contribiutions, or signature sounds, riffs, made much difference, even though the riff of "Satisfaction", of course, was monumental and an early indication of the "riffmaster" some day to come. Even though the frontman status taken away, Brian still had a very profilic status within the band. It was his musical contributions, his looks, that were seen, talked, and rated high and followed by media and fans. It was Brian's exotic intrumental contribution that especially shone in that Swingin' London 1966/67 scene. That was a hip thing then. I is not, say, Keith's acoustic guitar, but Brian's sitar that stood out in "Paint It Black".

I just ask not to use the criteria created afterwards in judging the scenes of the past. But let us assume - a thought experiment - if you think that the Rolling Stones had called it quits during making SATANIC MAJESTIES, and we would never heard any of them ever since. Brian Jones's legacy would pretty much as it is now. But what would we think about the legacy of Keith Richards then? No "world's elegantly wasted human being", no "riffmaster", no "Open G signature"... In that scenario, wouldn't the riff of "Satisfaction" having a kind of status "You Really Got Me" has, as being a catchy and significant riff, but nothing actually to do with the player who does it? Just a damn good riff, as the "The Last Time", etc. Are there actually much else to remember from Keith instrumetalwise that would make a difference? Of course, he made a league of nice and catchy pop songs with Mick. I think that is what Keith Richards mostly would be remembered then: a nice songwriter - another member of Jagger/Richard duo, analogical to Lennon/MCartney - and who also could play a nice guitar by day's low standards, a bit like George Harrison.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-20 19:09 by Doxa.

Date: March 20, 2012 13:50

Doxa, watch the T.A.M.I.-show. Keith was the man back then already; visually, musically (in particular) and of course he sang the harmony brilliantly with a distinct voice which blended nicely with Jagger's.

+ he played all the solos.

For me, it took two seconds to spot it when I first saw it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-20 13:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 20, 2012 15:08

Bless, the beautiful fantastic TAMI show footage! thumbs up

As with all things Brian Jones, his position as a band member and as a fan favourite is odd. Many contradictions, like a mid 1966 article in Rave magazine wondering why he's dissapearing, but then there's a good few interviews in NME, Melody Maker etc.

Focusing on Keith...

As a guitarist and vital member of The Rolling Stones Keith was the man from the get go I think, he found his true calling in life, that being a guitarist and song writer for The Rolling Stones.

He's there firing on all cylindars on 1963 IBC sessions and his rise in popularity was quite deserved because even if Andrew did hype Keith up a bit with all that ALO Orchestra stuff etc, the public pairing with Mick as a STONED reply to Lennon & McCartney...

Keith had the goods and drive to back it all up.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 20, 2012 15:30

DandelionPowderman
Braincapers
However, as I've said before being pro Keith doesn't make me anti Mick, after all I'm a fan of the Stones.

thumbs up
thumbs upthumbs up

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: March 20, 2012 15:36

DandelionPowderman

I believe that image wise, the Richards side of the Jagger/Richards icon template, as opposed to the whole group as "bad boys", really launched for the wider audience, with the Jumping Jack Flash film. Cemented once and for all, in Ladies and Gentlemen. And it wen from there.

And, interestingly, it was very nearly challenged by Taylor's rising star on the his last European tour with the group. But that went by in the blink of an eye.

But back to the Glimmers, once really established, on the non-visual side, part of that "cool" image rested Keith not opening up his mouth too much. To my interpretation, not terribly dissimilar from Doxa's or Bill Wyman's Stone Alone, Keith's image built throughout "the 70s", (even if we put that back to 68/59), and reached critical mass in the mid 80s. He was the celebrity that didn't die at that point. "The coolest man on the planet" etc. And, then, with the fallout with Jagger's solo career, we launch into a whole different Keith Richards that see to this day.

Brian Jones was a big deal, even post Satisfaction, to the many (majority?) of fans following to the point of his dismissal and death.

Think back to the album covers now, not the actual songwriting. It's not until Goats Head Soup we get this Mick/Keith cover thing going on, reprized again on Tattoo You.

Date: March 20, 2012 15:55

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

I believe that image wise, the Richards side of the Jagger/Richards icon template, as opposed to the whole group as "bad boys", really launched for the wider audience, with the Jumping Jack Flash film. Cemented once and for all, in Ladies and Gentlemen. And it wen from there.

And, interestingly, it was very nearly challenged by Taylor's rising star on the his last European tour with the group. But that went by in the blink of an eye.

But back to the Glimmers, once really established, on the non-visual side, part of that "cool" image rested Keith not opening up his mouth too much. To my interpretation, not terribly dissimilar from Doxa's or Bill Wyman's Stone Alone, Keith's image built throughout "the 70s", (even if we put that back to 68/59), and reached critical mass in the mid 80s. He was the celebrity that didn't die at that point. "The coolest man on the planet" etc. And, then, with the fallout with Jagger's solo career, we launch into a whole different Keith Richards that see to this day.

Brian Jones was a big deal, even post Satisfaction, to the many (majority?) of fans following to the point of his dismissal and death.

Think back to the album covers now, not the actual songwriting. It's not until Goats Head Soup we get this Mick/Keith cover thing going on, reprized again on Tattoo You.

I've never head that before. Do you have any links to articles on that, or was that fan buzz at the time? Unfortunately, I was to young back then...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 20, 2012 16:04

these comments, especially from Doxa and 24FPS amount to excellent history,

lot of real good Stones analysis

but the crucial fact is they needed songwriting to survive.

Keith and Mick. thats where they struck gold.

Brian's contributions point the way to what would have been a great career as a solo performer IF he hadn't been so self destructive

can you imagine a 'Brian Jones Band', had he gotten himself together?

Date: March 20, 2012 16:59

DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

I've never head that before. Do you have any links to articles on that, or was that fan buzz at the time? Unfortunately, I was to young back then...

Oh no DPM, definitely not. I'm in the same boat as you, too young for that (well not quite technically, but didn't really become a Stones fanatic until 1978).

I should have rephrased a bit perhaps - it was a tangent to begin with and I was mildly surprised to read of it myself, despite being a Taylor fan. The Taylor bit in 73 (Brussels right?) was gleaned from a few comments I believe I read here in the last year or so, or one of the other boards. I recall at least one link (I don't have it), but apparently he was causing a stir in some fan press and among some of the attendees.

It had caught my attention at the time because it suggested Taylor being a draw in the context of Taylor shining up there with Jagger. It wasn't a reference to Taylor in relation to Richards. Which in itself is sort of telling.

Even going back to Taylor's own quotes which i do recall pretty well, in responding to why he did NOT have more stage presence/act he suggested he should not take the spotlight off Jagger (no mention of Richards in Taylor's response there).

As it happens, I doubt Taylor would ever be different than we've ever seen him (with the Stones, Blues Breakers, Dylan, solo etc), but in his mind it was Jagger in the spotlight, and not Jagger/Richards, and ditto for whatever the source was for Taylor taking a cut of the spotlight on that European leg. But yeah, how long was that leg? Not too long. And, yes, we do see Richards front and center in L&G (earlier than Brussels).

I do also recall a Stones review back in the mid 70s, could've been Rolling Stone or Village Voice, but anyway, more or less "mainstream", wherein the reviewer cited "Can't you Hear me Knocking" as showing the way for the Stones to go in "the future" as a mature band. With the benefit of hindsight, probably nearly all of us are glad the Stones didn't get sucked into long extended musical noodlings or lead guitar hero stuff, or watered down jazz pretensions (can you imagine?), but the sentiment probably reflected the thoughts of others as well.

Getting back to the TAMI show, it is always interesting for me to watch. I agree with what you see there DPM concerning Richards already rising, at that early date, but it's also a bit of a Rorschach test to watch it. I've seen it referenced and posted by the Brian Jones faithful, to show him holding his own at that time.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 20, 2012 17:11

duke richardson

Brian's contributions point the way to what would have been a great career as a solo performer IF he hadn't been so self destructive

can you imagine a 'Brian Jones Band', had he gotten himself together?

No, I cant - i really cant - I cant imagine "Brian Jones band" and I cant imagine solo career for him either, No. No songwriting skills means ..no music, - no music means - no future career. After the Stones Brian was nothing more than hopeless disaster waiting to happen. His career after the Stones would have been a disaster, wait ..it already was. So let´s imagine sober Brian - ok, It´s just like sober Mick Taylor - and I love his guitar playing - but without songwriting skills Taylors great future in music is still...waiting to happen ..or in other words - it´s all about the past.

Date: March 20, 2012 17:12

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

Oh no DPM, definitely not. I'm in the same boat as you, too young for that (well not quite technically, but didn't really become a Stones fanatic until 1978).

I should have rephrased a bit perhaps - it was a tangent to begin with and I was mildly surprised to read of it myself, despite being a Taylor fan. The Taylor bit in 73 (Brussels right?) was gleaned from a few comments I believe I read here in the last year or so, or one of the other boards. I recall at least one link (I don't have it), but apparently he was causing a stir in some fan press and among some of the attendees.

It had caught my attention at the time because it suggested Taylor being a draw in the context of Taylor shining up there with Jagger. It wasn't a reference to Taylor in relation to Richards. Which in itself is sort of telling.

Even going back to Taylor's own quotes which i do recall pretty well, in responding to why he did NOT have more stage presence/act he suggested he should not take the spotlight off Jagger (no mention of Richards in Taylor's response there).

As it happens, I doubt Taylor would ever be different than we've ever seen him (with the Stones, Blues Breakers, Dylan, solo etc), but in his mind it was Jagger in the spotlight, and not Jagger/Richards, and ditto for whatever the source was for Taylor taking a cut of the spotlight on that European leg. But yeah, how long was that leg? Not too long. And, yes, we do see Richards front and center in L&G (earlier than Brussels).

I do also recall a Stones review back in the mid 70s, could've been Rolling Stone or Village Voice, but anyway, more or less "mainstream", wherein the reviewer cited "Can't you Hear me Knocking" as showing the way for the Stones to go in "the future" as a mature band. With the benefit of hindsight, probably nearly all of us are glad the Stones didn't get sucked into long extended musical noodlings or lead guitar hero stuff, or watered down jazz pretensions (can you imagine?), but the sentiment probably reflected the thoughts of others as well.

Getting back to the TAMI show, it is always interesting for me to watch. I agree with what you see there DPM concerning Richards already rising, at that early date, but it's also a bit of a Rorschach test to watch it. I've seen it referenced and posted by the Brian Jones faithful, to show him holding his own at that time.

Some great analysis in there, man. Thanks.

I agree with you on Taylor not wanting to steal the limelight from Jagger, but something tells me he wouldn't have done it anyway. Some people have that frontman-thing in them as soon as they enter a stage. Mick and Keith are people like that, even though Keith developed a more "visual" style as the years passed. On the TAMI-show it's the real deal - always a pleasure to watch.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 17:41

its all good in the hood.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 20, 2012 17:49

DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

Some great analysis in there, man. Thanks.

I agree with you on Taylor not wanting to steal the limelight from Jagger, but something tells me he wouldn't have done it anyway. Some people have that frontman-thing in them as soon as they enter a stage. Mick and Keith are people like that, even though Keith developed a more "visual" style as the years passed. On the TAMI-show it's the real deal - always a pleasure to watch.

If you listen carefully to Taylor's last live gig with the Stones in Berlin, 1973 Oct. 19 (maybe the very best show the Stones ever performed), then it's Taylor all the way, musically. Imagine if he also acted like he played.

No wonder Richards preferred the inferior Wood. But what a wasted opportunity to bring the Stones' music on an almost extraterrestrial level. We only have the relatively poor Brussels second show in a bad mixing, compared to the other 1973 October shows, especially those in Rotterdam and ... in Berlin!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2012 18:39

backstreetboy1
its all good in the hood.

Agreed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2012 18:48

DandelionPowderman

I think actually Satisfaction is where the glimmer twins light became brightest and from that point on outshone Brian. After that, it was all downhill for BJ.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home