Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 38
Re: Stones tour pushed back to 2013
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 17, 2012 15:01

rogue
"You got the sun. You got the moon. You got the Rolling Stones."

At 0.40

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: March 17, 2012 15:57

Gazza
So - for reasons they dont have to be obliged to disclose - they push it back a few months and it happens to go into 2013. Big deal. Its not the first time tour plans were pulled or put back a few months (2001 being an example). If theyd planned to start a tour in April 2012 and then it got postponed to September 2012, no one would be getting their knickers in a twist as it seems some people are overly hung up on it being the calendar year 2012.

Today's story in the Daily Mirror is the most encouraging official sign for some time that the band have not only a future as a touring band but also as a recording one.

Plenty of time this year for them to do some work and for Keith to keep busy. Suits me.

I consider the article to be good news too. I am much more excited thinking they will record new material first. IMO, after Keith's book, Mick hasn't been able to psych himself up to play with Keith. He's a perfectionist and I'm sure he wants this next tour to be amazing, he needs to feel more of a connection with Keith. Hopefully, this studio time together will do just that. Interesting that Mick brought up their 80's relationship, basically reminding us they have survived bad times before. I am ecstatic that they are moving forward and Mick is able to forgive/accept.

Date: March 17, 2012 17:05

SweetThing
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Gazza
Plans change from week to week, month to month. For whatever reason, thats what appears to have happened, judged by Keith's 'we're just not ready' wording.

And Mick Taylor never overdubbed a new guitar track for the Exile rarities either according to Keith. Has he ever acknowledged that Taylor did?

I don't think so.

And Don Was could neither "confirm nor deny" at one point - which I have to believe was clearly after the fact. Maybe Jagger just never told Keith. Or Keith forgot. Or Keith didn't feel like acknowledging it. Anyway, we don't know, and probably won't ever know, but your point is well taken. Ironically, Keith (very often at least) isn't a good source of Stones information.

Oh. Right. Got it - Taylor was painting the ceiling during the Plundered session while attached to a coconut tree via a bungee and somebody else played the guitar that didn't happen. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 17, 2012 18:39

Mick moving to NY, and Keith, possible new album and tour?
IMO, it's all good.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: zeus ()
Date: March 17, 2012 19:25

A Daily Mail Article, pretty much what we have reading...

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 17, 2012 20:12

zeus
A Daily Mail Article, pretty much what we have reading...

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Yeah, with a bit of a standard Daily Mail 'spin' on it....'a source', 'a friend', etc.

The band appear to have got over 'todgergate' publicly. Unfortunately, it seems that the press are far too infantile to think of anything else.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 17, 2012 20:27

To me it starts to look like that the 'postponing' the live performances - "tour" - is something to do with the fact that all the things they planned to do for 2012 might take more energy and time then they thought. They are not twenty-, thirty-, forty or even fifty-somethings these days. Seemingly they are putting much effort to the documentary to be relaesed in fall. To me it doesn't sound 'just another' documentary but a rather big deal. If the claim made by Daily Mail holds true, for example, the sessions in December were done solely to provide material for the documentary. All the speculations concerning the tour - be it now or next yaer or whenever - seem to derive from Keith at the moment. Mick is totally silent. Of course, Mick could play with double cards here - nothin new there - but it could be that the live dimension of the 50th Anniversary is not such a big deal for Mick Jagger - or even Keith - than we might think. At least it sounds like that 2012 was pretty much booked in advance by archive relaesaes - docus, books, CDs. etc - for Mick. Like 2010 or 2011. Keith's remark of "not ready yet" might refer to that direction. We could even say that Jagger wants to celebrate the anniversary properly by approproate archive relaeses. Who knows?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-17 20:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 17, 2012 20:52

Seems like doing time in studio or playing concerts are things that they just don't have time for anymore. It's last on the list. There are far more important things to do like doing nothing for five years or selling spin-off products. Do we need another book? Do we need another documentary? Are those the most important things for a musician to be occupied with? And how much time does a geriatric group have to contemplate their future?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 17, 2012 21:23

The band may not be touring, but they will be busy through the end of the year with projects including new studio sessions and a major documentary. According to Richards, the Stones will begin rehearsing for a studio session as early as next month. "We’ll just get the boys back together again then and maybe cut a side," he says. "I’ve got plenty in the locker here, but it’s not on tape."

To me, this doesn't sound like there's going to be a new album. "Side" is a term dating back to the old 78 rpm days that refers to one side of a 78. One song. One track. I think we could be looking at another greatest hits CD with one new track on it, albeit a track featuring Bill and MT.

Date: March 17, 2012 21:25

Doxa
If the claim made by Daily Mail holds true, for example, the sessions in December were done solely to provide material for the documentary.

Not sure I buy wholesale into the way they've spun it. So we're supposed to believe that Keith put together a session that the entire band knew was being filmed for use in a Stones documentary - but that there was a strong chance that Mick was going to boycott it?

Not sure how that would have worked out in a movie/DVD celebrating how theyve stayed 'together' for half a century.

Interesting that (from what I can see) no one has picked up on the final part of this report, which states that they'll be releasing a 'greatest hits boxed set'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-17 21:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 17, 2012 21:58

Gazza
Doxa
If the claim made by Daily Mail holds true, for example, the sessions in December were done solely to provide material for the documentary.

Not sure I buy wholesale into the way they've spun it. So we're supposed to believe that Keith put together a session that the entire band knew was being filmed for use in a Stones documentary - but that there was a strong chance that Mick was going to boycott it?

That's true. There seems to be an inconsistency there. Like Jagger arranging the whole thing but not probably taking part. Does not make sense. Only 'logical' thing to save that theory is to claim that Keith is just given the chance to talk whatever he wishes to 'promote' the affair (and keeping faces). Of arranging the sessions and hoping Mick to join, etc. but in reality it is was all prior planned. But, honestly, are they so 'rational' or tactical in their plans and doings/sayings?eye popping smiley Hard to think so.

But then, when the documnet is finally released, and if there is going to be something from the sessions, and no tour in horizon, what do we imply then...?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-17 21:59 by Doxa.

Date: March 17, 2012 22:14

Doxa
Gazza
Doxa

That's true. There seems to be an inconsistency there. Like Jagger arranging the whole thing but not probably taking part. Does not make sense. Only 'logical' thing to save that theory is to claim that Keith is just given the chance to talk whatever he wishes to 'promote' the affair (and keeping faces). Of arranging the sessions and hoping Mick to join, etc. but in reality it is was all prior planned. But, honestly, are they so 'rational' or tactical in their plans and doings/sayings?eye popping smiley Hard to think so.

But then, when the documnet is finally released, and if there is going to be something from the sessions, and no tour in horizon, what do we imply then...?

- Doxa

Exactly. Or if there is no mention of the sessions at all (and this is the first inkling we've had that they were filmed)

The fact that they WERE filming it convinces me further that there were plans to follow that with some further work (ie, recording sessions and/or shows). You don't just end a 50-year documentary celebration with footage of the band jamming together for the sake of it and where there was no 'project' on the horizon. It would simply look pointless.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 17, 2012 22:42

tatters
The band may not be touring, but they will be busy through the end of the year with projects including new studio sessions and a major documentary. According to Richards, the Stones will begin rehearsing for a studio session as early as next month. "We’ll just get the boys back together again then and maybe cut a side," he says. "I’ve got plenty in the locker here, but it’s not on tape."

To me, this doesn't sound like there's going to be a new album. "Side" is a term dating back to the old 78 rpm days that refers to one side of a 78. One song. One track. I think we could be looking at another greatest hits CD with one new track on it, albeit a track featuring Bill and MT.

I thought he meant an album side, but who knows. Either way, I agree that we won't be seeing a full album...perhaps just 3-4 songs like they did for "40 Licks."

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 17, 2012 22:54

tatters
[To me, this doesn't sound like there's going to be a new album. "Side" is a term dating back to the old 78 rpm days that refers to one side of a 78. One song. One track.

Exactly. The term "side" struck me too. I could not understand why anybody reads "new album" into it. Maybe it's one "side", maybe even of couple of new "sides" - just like for 40 Licks - there we had even four new "sides".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 17, 2012 23:29

Jah Paul
tatters

I thought he meant an album side, but who knows. Either way, I agree that we won't be seeing a full album...perhaps just 3-4 songs like they did for "40 Licks."

I don't recall the Rollings Stones releasing a lot of 78 RPM records, (except in India I think)...I believe he would have send 'song' in the singular if that's what he meant.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: March 18, 2012 00:21

A vinyl album has 2 sides but a CD has only 1 side.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 18, 2012 00:54

Sam Spade

Since when?................................................................................................................................................................ grinning smiley

Date: March 18, 2012 01:25

Now - will everyone shut up talking about the tour....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 18, 2012 01:30

21stcenturystones
Now - will everyone shut up talking about the tour....

If only...

Date: March 18, 2012 01:40

Jah Paul
tatters

I see that as a loos way of talking; the way Keith does; the way many people do. you stay vague. I don't think it is to be taken so literal.
On the Exile postcards in the funny writings, the Taylor character says "I was gonna strum up a little sing song".

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 18, 2012 01:55

Palace Revolution 2000
Jah Paul
tatters

I see that as a loos way of talking; the way Keith does; the way many people do. you stay vague. I don't think it is to be taken so literal.
On the Exile postcards in the funny writings, the Taylor character says "I was gonna strum up a little sing song".

I agree..."cut a side" is pretty damn vague since nobody really knows what the hell he's talking about. Kind of don't even care at this point...if they do a whole album, fine...if they do a few songs, fine...if they do nothing, fine.

After all these years, I'm good with whatever they do...or don't do. When it comes to the Stones at this late stage, I'm satisfied. smoking smiley

Date: March 18, 2012 02:01

NICOS
Sam Spade

Since when?................................................................................................................................................................ grinning smiley

There are two sides to every story. Not necessarily any content on both sides mind you!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: March 18, 2012 02:22

Reading through this exhaustive thread and all the speculation / interpretation / rumination reminds me of Cold-War-era Kremlinology..."experts" and aficionados reading between the lines, studying text for hidden clues, combing through passages as if reading ancient hieroglyphics, and attempting to tease meaning and content out of uttered phrases.

So I will be contrarian here (and most likely practice self-delusion) by taking the press release at face value and simply be happy (thrilled, ecstatic) that there is hope for a new album, a new tour, and Bill Wyman coming back into the fold. I could not ask for better news...even if it is all apocryphal...it all gives me reason to HOPE and DREAM -- and in these dark days hope is in short supply so I am grateful for this -- that my beloved Rolling Stones will end with a grace and cohesion that has been missing in their ranks for decades. If Mick Taylor comes back to the fold to form a Septuagenarian Guitar Army for the final Hurrah I can die a very happy man.

The documentary with 80%(!) unseen footage and the Greatest Hits re-packaging and the up-coming new digital live releases...all of that is icing on the cake. These guys are the Mount Olympus of Rock And Roll, and one last glorious effort would make millions happy and put a magnificent coda on a mythic era...

Date: March 18, 2012 02:54

I agree with you TOTR...no point in speculating. We can take the positive things that have been confirmed (sort of)....new album next month, new box set, 50th anniversary DVD, book. These are all good.

If they happen to tour next year great, but it's too far away to get excited about because we don't know what is really in the cards here. We'll have greater clarity I'm sure by the fall/winter of next year, one way or the other.

I would find it interesting if they decided to put out a new album any time soon, without a tour in the offing. The last time that happened was the 80's (Undercover and Dirty Work) which of course was the cause of WWIII.

Date: March 18, 2012 03:44

Turd On The Run
Reading through this exhaustive thread and all the speculation / interpretation / rumination reminds me of Cold-War-era Kremlinology..."experts" and aficionados reading between the lines, studying text for hidden clues, combing through passages as if reading ancient hieroglyphics, and attempting to tease meaning and content out of uttered phrases.

"I am not aiming to do a tour of presidential palaces. Just a regular gig will be fine!"

Well, Mick said this after his white house gig, and it turns out to have been chock full of meaning. They won't, we now know, be touring, at least not in the usual sense of the word. They will be doing a series of "regular gigs", multi-night stands in a few cities densely populated with individuals who are affluent enough to afford ticket prices that are going to be higher than anyone here can ever possibly imagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-18 03:44 by tatters.

Date: March 18, 2012 03:54

Jah Paul
tatters

I think that's likely what it's going to be. With the trend now moving away from physical CDs, many bands are no longer bothering to record a full CDs worth of material. They're writing and recording new material in smaller batches, an EPs worth, and selling the tracks as downloads.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: March 18, 2012 04:12

Turd On The Run

So I will be contrarian here (and most likely practice self-delusion) by taking the press release at face value and simply be happy (thrilled, ecstatic) that there is hope for a new album, a new tour, and Bill Wyman coming back into the fold. I could not ask for better news...even if it is all apocryphal...it all gives me reason to HOPE and DREAM -- and in these dark days hope is in short supply so I am grateful for this -- that my beloved Rolling Stones will end with a grace and cohesion that has been missing in their ranks for decades. If Mick Taylor comes back to the fold to form a Septuagenarian Guitar Army for the final Hurrah I can die a very happy man.

The documentary with 80%(!) unseen footage and the Greatest Hits re-packaging and the up-coming new digital live releases...all of that is icing on the cake. These guys are the Mount Olympus of Rock And Roll, and one last glorious effort would make millions happy and put a magnificent coda on a mythic era...

Magnificent comments! Especially the first sentence! Almost orgasmic to read it!smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 18, 2012 11:36

Just read the "full" RS article in #1153 and it's nothing more than what had already been published on their site, nothing from Mick, unlike what is alluded to in the intro (after talking with Mick and Keith), odd...

And yes a CD has only one side, so there is hope. They certainly have enough material between them to come up with a CD...now is it worth the effort? Legacy wise ABB wasn't, B2B a bit more, it would give us a nice "rush" though.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 18, 2012 11:38

Turd On The Run

Totally agree!!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 18, 2012 12:26

MingSubu
Turd On The Run

Totally agree!!!
If Mick moves to New York for a while doing recording sessions.... doesn't exactly indicate Bill becoming part of the those recordings or??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-18 13:45 by mtaylor.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home