Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 38
Stones tour pushed back to 2013
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:21

From Rolling Stone:
[www.rollingstone.com]

By Patrick Doyle
March 14, 2012 10:00 AM ET
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones perform in 2007.REUTERS/Andrea Comas /LandovBelow is an abridged version of a story that appears in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone, issue 1153 with Bruce Springsteen on the cover.

The Rolling Stones will not tour to mark their 50th anniversary this year, Rolling Stone has learned after separate interviews with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. "Basically, we’re just not ready," says Richards. Instead, 2013 is the new goal. "I have a feeling that’s more realistic," he adds.

Stones insiders say that one reason for the delay is Richards' health, which has raised questions about his ability to make it through a worldwide tour. A top concert-business source confirms the reservations over Richards’ condition and suggests that it is more likely that the band will avoid traveling in favor of camping out in major cities for multinight runs in arenas, similar to Prince's recent stands in New York and Los Angeles.

The Stones are already considering offers: The band asked for proposals from promoters AEG, Live Nation and longtime Stones promoter Michael Cohl. "We're drilling down on this new proposal," says the source.

The band may not be touring, but they will be busy through the end of the year with projects including new studio sessions and a major documentary. According to Richards, the Stones will begin rehearsing for a studio session as early as next month. "We’ll just get the boys back together again then and maybe cut a side," he says. "I’ve got plenty in the locker here, but it’s not on tape."

The news comes after the band gathered in a London studio in December and played together for the first time since the final night of the marathon two-year Bigger Bang tour in August 2007. Making the occasion even more special, former bassist Bill Wyman sat in for the first time since he left in 1992. "We played a lot of blues and outtakes of Some Girls and things like that," says Jagger. "It went very well."

Adds Richards, "It was a very back-to-basics sort of session. There was a lot of jamming. On the third day, Mick turned up, which was a real joy. Because I set it up really as a magnet, you know."

In the meantime, fans will get their Stones fix from the upcoming documentary, out in the fall, which will trace the band's entire 50-year journey and is packed with unseen footage and unreleased music. "Nobody has put the story together as a narrative," says the movie's director, Brett Morgen, who made 2002's The Kid Stays in the Picture. "We've been looking under every rock going through their archives. It will be music never heard before, and I've conducted 50-plus hours of interviews so far. By the time we're done, they will be the most extensive group interviews they've ever done." Says Richards, "He told me 80 percent of the footage has never been seen before, which amazes me. I didn't know there was that much around."

Despite holding off on touring this year, the band is still buzzing from reuniting with Wyman. "We're back in touch, which is great, because I hadn't really spoken to him for years," says Richards. Will Wyman rejoin the group on the road in 2013? "I think he's up for it," Richards says. "We talked about it. I'll let you know when I can."

And Richards points out that next year works just as well for an anniversary trek. "The Stones always really considered '63 to be 50 years, because Charlie [Watts] didn't actually join until January," Richards says. "We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception, but the birth is next year."

For the full story, read the March 29th, 2012 issue of Rolling Stone, available on stands and in Rolling Stone All Access March 16th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 18:30 by bv.

Re: Stones tour pushed back to 2013- Keith's health a concern
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:28

And there you have it.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:29

WOW!!!

That is about as detailed, good info as I have
heard about what is up, in a long long time...

Date: March 14, 2012 16:31

andrewt
From Rolling Stone:
[www.rollingstone.com]

By Patrick Doyle
March 14, 2012 10:00 AM ET
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones perform in 2007.REUTERS/Andrea Comas /LandovBelow is an abridged version of a story that appears in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone, issue 1153 with Bruce Springsteen on the cover.

The Rolling Stones will not tour to mark their 50th anniversary this year, Rolling Stone has learned after separate interviews with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. "Basically, we’re just not ready," says Richards. Instead, 2013 is the new goal. "I have a feeling that’s more realistic," he adds.

Stones insiders say that one reason for the delay is Richards' health, which has raised questions about his ability to make it through a worldwide tour. A top concert-business source confirms the reservations over Richards’ condition and suggests that it is more likely that the band will avoid traveling in favor of camping out in major cities for multinight runs in arenas, similar to Prince's recent stands in New York and Los Angeles.

The Stones are already considering offers: The band asked for proposals from promoters AEG, Live Nation and longtime Stones promoter Michael Cohl. "We're drilling down on this new proposal," says the source.

The band may not be touring, but they will be busy through the end of the year with projects including new studio sessions and a major documentary. According to Richards, the Stones will begin rehearsing for a studio session as early as next month. "We’ll just get the boys back together again then and maybe cut a side," he says. "I’ve got plenty in the locker here, but it’s not on tape."

The news comes after the band gathered in a London studio in December and played together for the first time since the final night of the marathon two-year Bigger Bang tour in August 2007. Making the occasion even more special, former bassist Bill Wyman sat in for the first time since he left in 1992. "We played a lot of blues and outtakes of Some Girls and things like that," says Jagger. "It went very well."

Adds Richards, "It was a very back-to-basics sort of session. There was a lot of jamming. On the third day, Mick turned up, which was a real joy. Because I set it up really as a magnet, you know."

In the meantime, fans will get their Stones fix from the upcoming documentary, out in the fall, which will trace the band's entire 50-year journey and is packed with unseen footage and unreleased music. "Nobody has put the story together as a narrative," says the movie's director, Brett Morgen, who made 2002's The Kid Stays in the Picture. "We've been looking under every rock going through their archives. It will be music never heard before, and I've conducted 50-plus hours of interviews so far. By the time we're done, they will be the most extensive group interviews they've ever done." Says Richards, "He told me 80 percent of the footage has never been seen before, which amazes me. I didn't know there was that much around."

Despite holding off on touring this year, the band is still buzzing from reuniting with Wyman. "We're back in touch, which is great, because I hadn't really spoken to him for years," says Richards. Will Wyman rejoin the group on the road in 2013? "I think he's up for it," Richards says. "We talked about it. I'll let you know when I can."

And Richards points out that next year works just as well for an anniversary trek. "The Stones always really considered '63 to be 50 years, because Charlie [Watts] didn't actually join until January," Richards says. "We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception, but the birth is next year."

For the full story, read the March 29th, 2012 issue of Rolling Stone, available on stands and in Rolling Stone All Access March 16th.

... and gonna make all the Wyman lovers very very happy.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:31

andrewt

That's convenient.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:32

Thanks for posting.

What's wrong with Keith?

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:34

Rolling Stone has learned after separate interviews with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

I see Mick has not much to say

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:36

proudmary
Rolling Stone has learned after separate interviews with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

"For the full story, read the March 29th, 2012 issue of Rolling Stone, available on stands and in Rolling Stone All Access March 16th."

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:39

I enjoyed the 39 Licks project in 2002.

Date: March 14, 2012 16:45

uhbuhgullayew
andrewt

That's convenient.

This Rationalization is fine (with me).... at least they are finally talking about it, in public.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:45

Great news..

I love to have a new killer album and a movie..Then tour...

It will be much more exciting knowing the band will tour with a new hit album
and not just a oldies tour..

If Keith and Mick work hard and write a great Stones album and then have Bill play..
Wow..That's all we can hope for..A new album will make it all even more exciting..

I love the fact that they may bring back Bill..I really missed him at bass...And he needs to be part of any
tour and NEW ALBUM that celebrates their 50 year anniversary..

New Album with Bill Wyman & Mick Taylor....The Stones are back!!!!!!!!

Date: March 14, 2012 16:46

"We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception, but the birth is next year."

conception and birth dates.... that is some funny rationalizing.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:53

Sure Richards' health will only get better with age...And what will Wyman be in 2013? 77?

Mathijs

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:55

Great news! I hope that we'll see the GHS-deluxe too - and complete promo-videos.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:56

Hey at their age the Stones can make a party anytime they want....haha

And without Charlie you really don't have the Rolling Stones..And Charlie didn't join the band untill 1963..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:56

Great!

I look forward to the documentary.

Hope they include Mick Taylor as well.

Still can't believe Bill would go on any tour outside the UK.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:05

Yay.

A 51st anniversary!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:12

Send It To me
Thanks for posting.

What's wrong with Keith?

If you read the piece, issues of Keith's health sound more like rumours than anything being said for sure. Of course it's a realistic possibility. But wo - the thought of Bill coming back....the recent bootleg reissues have really reminded me of just how badly I miss Bill's contribution to the Stone's sound. D. Jones is OK on some numbers but it seems like on a lot of the basic Chuck Berry-esque rock and rollers, he plays the exact same bass pattern on all of them: Neighbours, Respectable, IORR, etc. Bill's playing hedge-hopped all over the place with unique patterns and licks. Mr. Jones would've done well to study the albums and get a feel for the uniqueness that Bill gave to the aformentioned numbers among many others. Just compare Neighbours with Jones to the same song on Hampton. Or Respectable from '78 to the No security version. Jones is highly skilled but downright boring on the simple rock and roll numbers. Bill never just played the da da da da da-da da-da pattern on those kind of songs. I'd love to hear him with the band again if his age and health are up to it. And maybe Mick Taylor? God..Keith's problems would be more than compensated for. At least we have something official about some plans!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:12

Send It To me
Thanks for posting.

What's wrong with Keith?

50 years of hard living? He hasn't been quite the same since the brain surgery, and then there's the arthritis (although travelling wouldn't really affect that I don't think)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:15

proudmary

He's pretty quiet on this one for a frontman isn't he?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:16

Well this is pretty much how it was looking, and now a major news story confirming it. That's fine, at least they are talking about it, and they seem in good spirits and some cool stuff is coming up to celebrate. Sounds good.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:17

andrewt
Send It To me
Thanks for posting.

What's wrong with Keith?

50 years of hard living? He hasn't been quite the same since the brain surgery, and then there's the arthritis

If Keith has "health issues" they are undisclosed.
Hard living & arthritis ain't gonna get better by next year.

Re: Stones tour pushed back to 2013
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:24

andrewt
And Richards points out that next year works just as well for an anniversary trek. "The Stones always really considered '63 to be 50 years,
because Charlie [Watts] didn't actually join until January," Richards says. "We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception,
but the birth is next year."

well all right! i've been thinking that exact same thing

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:29

Well we have Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine from June 8th to July 1. Then the Summer Olympics in London from July 27th to August 12.

That gives everyone plenty of time to finish building your bunkers.....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:31

About time we heard something, thanks andrewt!

As far as Keith's health is concerned, plenty he can do in a year to improve his arthritic condition! Naysayers be damned. The science of such has greatly improved in recent years. Mostly diet and magic supplements like Botswellia Serrata and crushed crayfish shells. I'll bet he's doing what he can in that regard, we can only hope for the best.

Plenty of time for folks to start saving their nickels too. I can finally now say that the rumors I heard were indeed from a certain promoter, now that the cat is out of the bag. Whoo Hoo! peace

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:38

Naturalust
About time we heard something, thanks andrewt!

As far as Keith's health is concerned, plenty he can do in a year to improve his arthritic condition! Naysayers be damned. The science of such has greatly improved in recent years. Mostly diet and magic supplements like Botswellia Serrata and crushed crayfish shells. I'll bet he's doing what he can in that regard, we can only hope for the best.

Plenty of time for folks to start saving their nickels too. I can finally now say that the rumors I heard were indeed from a certain promoter, now that the cat is out of the bag. Whoo Hoo! peace

I think his hands are the least of his concerns.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:41

So they played the Charlie card. It all sounds promising enough though. Count me in for a tour, hopefully a new album and of course the docu.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:42

I'm glad we hear SOMETHING but I'm not sure it's really great news...it could be that they are a shambles and they're postponing the inevitable..no tour at all. I really am looking forward to that documentary though. If Keith is in rough shape, don't we have to wonder if they'll get the tour insurance they'll need??

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:45

One IMDB search later, I found something on Brett Morgen who is making the docu. Not that he's made many films, but there's quite a few of which he made that centers around music.

One Train Later (documentary) (producer) (post-production)

2010 Dora: The Girl Heard 'Round the World (TV documentary) (executive producer)

2010 30 for 30 (TV series) (producer - 1 episode)
– June 17, 1994 (2010) (producer)

2008 Independent Lens (TV series documentary) (producer - 1 episode)
– Chicago 10 (2008) (producer)

2007 Nimrod Nation (TV series documentary) (executive producer - 2007)

2007 Chicago 10 (documentary) (producer)

2006 The Limbo Room (executive producer)

2003 Kid Notorious (TV series) (executive producer)

2002 The Kid Stays in the Picture (documentary) (producer)

2001 Say It Loud: A Celebration of Black Music in America (TV mini-series documentary) (producer)

1999 On the Ropes (documentary) (producer)

1996 Ollie's Army (producer)

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:53

So Keith can go ahead and do a new Winos album

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home