Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How To Tell If Recording Is STEREO or MONO?
Posted by: STUFAN ()
Date: March 14, 2012 15:20

Hi Group,

This has probably been discussed before but I have an audio rip of an older vhs tape and I'm suspecting it's only a mono recording but is there a way to tell for sure?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Re: How To Tell If Recording Is STEREO or MONO?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 14, 2012 15:39

STUFAN
Hi Group,

This has probably been discussed before but I have an audio rip of an older vhs tape and I'm suspecting it's only a mono recording but is there a way to tell for sure?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Well, you can listen to it with your ears. If it's MONO, you will hear it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 14, 2012 15:45

I usually find that if you can't really tell by giving it a good listen on headphones its most likely mono. As far as software to be certain? maybe you could try Soundforge. It separates the tracks and shows you...

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:03

It's usually pretty easy on headphones, just listen to each side without the other, if you hear missing elements in one, or the mix seems different to you, it's stereo. It's only really difficult when the mix of the music is narrow stereo. For an example using "Satisfaction" Compare any 1986 ABKCO CD version of Satisfaction (mono) the 2002 ABKCO CD version (Narrow Stereo) and the London CD of Hot Rocks 1 (Wide Stereo).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 16:04 by tkl7.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:10

Clear your mind.

Imagine the band in front and centre of you.

Listen and visualise.

Any instruments voices seem to the left or right of centre?

The most ridiculous stereo I have is an old vinyl of "Got Live If You Want it".

Now that IS a stero mix - NOTHING is centred - everything is panned hard left or right.

It's a nightmare on headphones.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:22

To be sure I would make a stereo wave file (soundforge, Creative Wave studio, ProTools, Logic, et al) , then subtract channel L from channel R using the tools available. The resultant wave file should be NOTHING, if the recording is in mono. (L minus R equals zero).

Alternatively if you just look at the L and R wave files on a screen it should be relatively easy to tell if they are exactly the same (mono).

As far as listening goes, early stereo recordings , especially Stones clearly have Charlies drums different in the L and R channels. Jimmy Miller was big on keeping the drums in stereo even using only 4-track technology, no matter how many bouncing of the tracks was required to pull it off. Some would say this is what separated the pro's from the ametuers in the days of a limited number of multitracks (4 or 8). These days with 48 track + machines being the norm, most all drums are easily recorded and mixed in stereo. It was a bit harder to pull off back then. Part of Jimmy Millers genius imho. peace

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 14, 2012 18:21

Your ears can fool you - a phase correlation meter, not.

especially when it's a very narrow mix and no stereo spread events are happening.

I guess this is a free one
[www.brothersoft.com]

but the better tools are quite expensive.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: March 14, 2012 21:42

A harder question to answer may be is the recording originally mixed for mono or a fold down?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 14, 2012 21:58

STUFAN
Hi Group,

Thanks in advance,
Steve

If you post a song or snippet here, I can tell you for sure.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 14, 2012 21:59

one thing suprise me the last years,that many soundboards are in mono

the vhs gimme shelter(my copy) was in mono,but my vinyl bootleg was glorius stereo

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:15

GravityBoy

The most ridiculous stereo I have is an old vinyl of "Got Live If You Want it".

Now that IS a stero mix - NOTHING is centred - everything is panned hard left or right.

It's a nightmare on headphones.

How so? That sort of thing is great. Hendrix also often used stereo to really widen the sound so that only his voice was in the center, sound good to me!

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2482
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home