Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones as business teamwork models
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 21, 2020 18:12

Caught this in my local newspaper. It's from a weekly syndicated column written by a business owner named Harvey Mackay. This week's article was about teamwork and at the end he cites the boys.

"On the website of Scoro, the software business service, Merily Leis offers a fascinating example of teamwork: The Rolling Stones.

'Each of the band's members is a talent in his own right, but it is the chemistry the band has with each of them that works best', Leis writes. 'Being part of the Rolling Stones remains the best way for each member to achieve their individual goals.'

Mackay's Moral: Teams work best when they are in tune with each other."

Your thoughts?

Re: The Stones as business teamwork models
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 21, 2020 18:31

I don't think Keef ever had one business-oriented idea (or bad ones like "hey stadiums suck, let's play small venues").
Mick alone manages the band on all non-musical aspects and I don't think any other band member has to complain about him... (except travelling to the seediest part of the Paris suburbs to reach their rehearsal HQ in 2012 and 2014!) >grinning smiley<

Keith : "hey Ron look! I think I saw a tree among the concrete rubbles! Yeah near the railroad track!" grinning smiley

Date: January 21, 2020 18:46

dcba
I don't think Keef ever had one business-oriented idea (or bad ones like "hey stadiums suck, let's play small venues").
Mick alone manages the band on all non-musical aspects and I don't think any other band member has to complain about him... (except travelling to the seediest part of the Paris suburbs to reach their rehearsal HQ in 2012 and 2014!) >grinning smiley<

Keith : "hey Ron look! I think I saw a tree among the concrete rubbles! Yeah near the railroad track!" grinning smiley

winking smiley

[www.inc.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 22, 2020 01:41

I've read some first-hand accounts that Keith had greater business acumen than people think.
And Keith is largely responsible for creating their 'brand.'
But, yeah, the band allows them to make money, play with simpatico musicians and still go off and do their solo things when they want.

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: January 22, 2020 03:33

dcba

Actually, Charlie is heavily involved in the stage design and merchandise. It's silly to suggest Mick does it all.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 22, 2020 04:14

>"hey stadiums suck, let's play small venues"

that would be, like, the best idea I have heard since 1972.

jb

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 22, 2020 13:40

dmay

Mackay's Moral: "Teams work best when they are in tune with each other."

Is this really new?

But you can't force that - in a Company there're many many people with most different characters. I admire the Stones-Teamwork since more than 15 years. Their 'secret' is that they're 2+2: Keith+Ronnie and Mick+Charlie and they're all working together since everyone has his special task and there's no envy/jealousy. You cannot build a real Team when it consists of 'Kings' (taking everything) and 'Losers' (doin' the dirty work) ....

Date: January 22, 2020 15:22

jbwelda
>"hey stadiums suck, let's play small venues"

that would be, like, the best idea I have heard since 1792.

jb

Sorry, I couldn't resist winking smiley

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: January 22, 2020 16:23

Mick does not do it all. There have always been very good business advisers, managers and lawyers since the early 1970's helping to guide the business side.

Keith is far more aware and involved. Just because he doesn't talk about it in the press doesn't mean he isn't there. Numerous books, including his own, make it clear he knows what is happening. Also note his comments about using the Super Bowl tongue stage to promote the band. He knows where his bread is buttered.

Charlie has always been involved with the "look" of the stage and album covers.

Ronnie has made his suggestions on venues, setlists, tours, etc and he has often been the missing ingredient in the chemistry of the band on and off the stage. He clearly knows how to exist between the Glimmer Twins which is no small feat.

Each of the Stones is a powerful talent. Together they are unstoppable. Let's all be thankful they are also pragmatic and understand what they have together.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 23, 2020 15:39

Jeter1984
dcba

Actually, Charlie is heavily involved in the stage design and merchandise. It's silly to suggest Mick does it all.

That's a bit different, which practically everyone knows - just read the Forbes issue and Keith gives a short bit about what all they do with the early ticket sales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-23 15:40 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 23, 2020 16:28

The highest potential for "me" is "we".

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 23, 2020 16:34

I always though it interesting that Rupert Lowenstein described keith as having the most intelligent mind in the band

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home