Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Midnight Rambler Instr.Reconsidered
Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: January 19, 2020 19:57

Re-.listening to Abkco M.Rambler short instrumental I do not believe it was recorded on February 9 or 10 1969 at all. This short instrumental guitar-driven track is miles away from the mild studio version that was recorded at the times and ended on Let it Bleed. Had they have developed such an arrangement do you believe they wouldn’t have used that instead? This instrumental is a clear improvement version that is more likely to come from a tour rehearsal session, possibly at Los Angeles Warner Bros. Studios on 2-5 Nov.69 or even at the Lyceum Theatre in London on 27-28 August 70 when they rehearsed the Euro 70 tour (the fact that is so short could mean they knew how to play it live already and just needed to rehearse the essential core). What do you think?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-20 08:20 by riccardo99.

Re: M.Rambler instr.Reconsidered
Date: January 19, 2020 20:17

It sounds like Keith hadn't decided on the intro yet. That leads me to believe it's a part of an early version.

Date: January 19, 2020 20:23

It is certainly not the same intro of the studio track, let alone the well- developed riffs which are only hinted at in the studio and playing sped. More similar to the live version of the song though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-19 20:25 by riccardo99.

Date: January 19, 2020 21:12

The riffs are there on the studio version, but down in the mix.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 19, 2020 23:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-20 13:35 by Koen.

Posted by: LFSDoc ()
Date: January 20, 2020 00:03

There’s the engineer’s announcement, right? Also, I think this was intended as an edit piece of the last verse, maybe the previous take broke down before the end. To my ears, the main riff, and the sound of the instruments is quite similar to the LIB take. My 2 cents.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 20, 2020 00:24

It is 100% an early instrumental. The rhythm guitar sounds like the exact same one on the finished track. Plus, like others have stated, you can hear the recording engineer say "Take 18" or at least that's what I hear. Sounds like Keith is working out the riff here.

Date: January 20, 2020 08:19

If you don't hear the arrangement progression, it's like saying a summary of a novel was written before the novel itself.

Re: Midnight Rambler Instr.Reconsidered
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 20, 2020 08:38

Where can I find this recording?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 20, 2020 09:06

DandelionPowderman
It sounds like Keith hadn't decided on the intro yet. That leads me to believe it's a part of an early version.

An argument none of you would consider when it was made about that version of Ruby Tuesday

Date: January 20, 2020 12:57

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 20, 2020 13:25

Someone find me a snippet where Brian Jones can actually be heard playing "percussion" on Rambler. winking smiley

Date: January 20, 2020 14:35

LFSDoc
There’s the engineer’s announcement, right? Also, I think this was intended as an edit piece of the last verse, maybe the previous take broke down before the end. To my ears, the main riff, and the sound of the instruments is quite similar to the LIB take. My 2 cents.

Sounds plausible.

Date: January 20, 2020 14:41

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman

An argument none of you would consider when it was made about that version of Ruby Tuesday

Because so many other factors obviously pointed at 1968 or 1969.

On MR we have the same sound and playing style as on the original. A lot happened between 1966 and 1968 playing-wise with Keith and Charlie in particular. Also, we knew that Nicky didn't play with the Stones before 1967.

Date: January 20, 2020 14:42

Topi
Someone find me a snippet where Brian Jones can actually be heard playing "percussion" on Rambler. winking smiley

Listen to the "bang" after "did you hear about the Boston...".

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 20, 2020 14:51

Wasn't an earlier instrumental that sounded like parts of Midnight Rambler on the 'Jamming with Edward" release ? Don't remember the tracks title, but I do recall it sounding like MR .....

Posted by: LFSDoc ()
Date: January 20, 2020 20:16

DandelionPowderman
Topi

Right you are, I was wondering the same thing... and if he played throughout the track he was mixed out, as his acoustic guitar on Sympathy.
Btw, I always thought that the picture on the Promotional Radio sampler LP from 1969 was indeed taken during the recording session for MR (and another picture of Brian playing an african drum: [images.app.goo.gl]).
Doc

Date: January 20, 2020 20:51

LFSDoc
DandelionPowderman
Topi

Right you are, I was wondering the same thing... and if he played throughout the track he was mixed out, as his acoustic guitar on Sympathy.
Btw, I always thought that the picture on the Promotional Radio sampler LP from 1969 was indeed taken during the recording session for MR (and another picture of Brian playing an african drum: [images.app.goo.gl]).
Doc

Most likely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home