Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones at Atlantic City Convention Center 30 years ago
Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: December 18, 2019 23:32

30 years ago today the Stones performed at Atlantic City Convention Center
the great comeback tour backed by a great comeback album
without this tour the band would never ever be alive anymore today
that would be terrifying

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-19 11:30 by bv.

Re: Remember the time
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 18, 2019 23:33

The last American tour of the Golden Era. Those were the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 19, 2019 01:10

The last tour of the "golden era" was Europe 82. No backup singers and no Matt Clifford, just raw, if coke addled, rock n roll.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 19, 2019 13:44

ab
The last tour of the "golden era" was Europe 82. No backup singers and no Matt Clifford, just raw, if coke addled, rock n roll.
+1

Re: The Stones at Atlantic City Convention Center 30 years ago
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 19, 2019 14:38

Best show of the 89-90 period and (alas) the very last time the PPV gig of a tour was a kick-ass affair. We had Hampton'81 thumbs up AC'89 thumbs up then Miami'94 sad smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 19, 2019 14:48

dcba
Best show of the 89-90 period and (alas) the very last time the PPV gig of a tour was a kick-ass affair. We had Hampton'81 thumbs up AC'89 thumbs up then Miami'94 sad smiley

I guess HBO's airing of one of the MSG shows for the Lick's tour in '03 wasn't technically a PPV, but it was kick-ass cool smiley
Went to one of the shows there that year and then a party at someones house that had the pay channel.. good times thumbs up

Date: December 19, 2019 16:11

ab

Chuck sang backup winking smiley

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: December 19, 2019 16:14

I went to all 3 shows and the first one was a low point for me among over 100 shows seen over the years since 1972. That memory has always stuck with me since I never really saw them play that poorly before, relatively speaking. The band was listless and uninspired, seeming to treat it as a run-through rehearsal for the pay-per-view two nights later - maybe saving their energy. Interestingly, the last show was a fun loose night with holiday festivity (Santa hats passed around) and all in a good mood for the final show of the US tour.

HBK

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 19, 2019 16:28

That was a great show, and I prefer most nineties concerts (and 89 of course) to the hyped 81/82 shows. In 81/82 Mick Jaggers vocals were often nothing but shouts, and his wardrobe was absolutely horrible.

Date: December 19, 2019 16:38

windmelody
That was a great show, and I prefer most nineties concerts (and 89 of course) to the hyped 81/82 shows. In 81/82 Mick Jaggers vocals were often nothing but shouts, and his wardrobe was absolutely horrible.

I find that strange. In 1973, 1975, 1976 and partly 1978 his vocals were often shouts. 1975/1976 in particular.

In 1981 he obviously had been taking singing lessons, and used his stomach and sang properly - using real technique. He was out of breath now and again, yes, but that was the first tour when he sang properly.

Date: December 19, 2019 17:26

HouseBoyKnows
I went to all 3 shows and the first one was a low point for me among over 100 shows seen over the years since 1972. That memory has always stuck with me since I never really saw them play that poorly before, relatively speaking.
HBK

Do you remember the John Lee Hooker debacle? Apparently he showed up completely wasted for "Boogie Chillum".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-19 18:26 by dcba.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 19, 2019 18:15

That was musically a great tour ,and Atlantic City is a great show.One of Keith’s best tours.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 19, 2019 18:48

ab

I think 1981 was the last real 'golden era' tour. By 1982 all the danger was gone. But that said, the 1989 and 1990 tour are certainly not my favourites, but they did play incredibly well. It might even have been Keith's ever playing. And they still played at the right speed, which is about 3 times faster than they play since Chuck took over.

And Bill Wyman. Man, he literally drives the Stones, what a fantastic bass player he was. He is so utterly missed.

Mathijs

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2019 19:22

TheGreek
ab
+1

I'd agree. Always thought Steel Wheels was the beginning of the so-called "Vegas era".
Nothing wrong with that of course, but there were alot of new bells and whistles involved, many of them unnecessary.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 19, 2019 19:43

Unfortunately with the worst possible association ever...

Date: December 19, 2019 19:59

Mathijs
And they still played at the right speed, which is about 3 times faster than they play since Chuck took over.

Mathijs

Really? I was just listening to the 1989-12-17 gig and I Think it was a bit too fast. "Bitch" or PIB in particular sounded a bit forced. There was lots of "rock" and too little "roll" to quote Keith.
(same goes for the 2002 tour btw).

Date: December 19, 2019 20:15

One of their better shows ever, imo.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 19, 2019 20:22

DandelionPowderman
One of their better shows ever, imo.

Agreed, mic stand drop and all! (during Undercover of the Night). Keith on "Bitch" in particular stands out for me....but a very strong show overall.

I can't wait for the official release, but until then, I'll play my swingin' pig edition. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-19 21:43 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 19, 2019 23:57

IMO the Atlantic City Concert was great ,and has the best everlive performance of Happy.2000 Light Years is mind blowing.

Date: December 20, 2019 00:22

DandelionPowderman
ab

So did Mac, who Chuck replaced. I was referring to dedicated backup singers, i.e., Bernard, Lisa, etc.

Europe 82 was essentially a continuation of USA 81, but with two personnel changes (Chuck for Mac and Daddy G for Ernie Watts). The setlists were nearly the same.

Date: December 20, 2019 00:26

ab
DandelionPowderman
ab

So did Mac, who Chuck replaced. I was referring to dedicated backup singers, i.e., Bernard, Lisa, etc.

Europe 82 was essentially a continuation of USA 81, but with two personnel changes (Chuck for Mac and Daddy G for Ernie Watts). The setlists were nearly the same.

Don't forget Bobby Keys..

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 20, 2019 00:48

Atlantic City was my first Boot DVD, in 2006 if i remember correctly, since then i've burned it for so many people who all to a person "Love It", I think Bitch was a stunner, and hearing Undercover Live was a treat, I would love an SD-Blu Ray with primo DTS sound, that would have been on the Christmas list this year, but we got Buenos Aires instead.

Come on boys, release it

Date: December 20, 2019 02:02

DandelionPowderman
ab
DandelionPowderman
ab

Bobby was on both tours, but had more to do on the European one.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 20, 2019 03:51

Taylor1
IMO the Atlantic City Concert was great ,and has the best everlive performance of Happy.2000 Light Years is mind blowing.

Happy and 2000 Light Years is great in At The Max too. The two best songs of that movie!

Atlantic City has a great Miss You and Sad Sad Sad. I like to watch Keith's solos on Sad Sad Sad in the video of AC 89.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 20, 2019 07:03

exilestones
Taylor1

Happy and 2000 Light Years is great in At The Max too. The two best songs of that movie!

Atlantic City has a great Miss You and Sad Sad Sad. I like to watch Keith's solos on Sad Sad Sad in the video of AC 89.

An amazing "Miss You" I love the ad lib, "I Miss You Girl, I Miss You Girl, When I'm Rock'n Around This World" it's what i've sung in that bit ever since

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 20, 2019 10:12

DandelionPowderman
windmelody

I find that strange. In 1973, 1975, 1976 and partly 1978 his vocals were often shouts. 1975/1976 in particular.

In 1981 he obviously had been taking singing lessons, and used his stomach and sang properly - using real technique. He was out of breath now and again, yes, but that was the first tour when he sang properly.

I agree mostly but based on the recordings Mick Jagger sang brillantly on most of the concerts during the European tour of 1973. His voice was affected on the 1975 and 1976 tours (from now on it is based on personal experience), But in Europe 1982 he sang again very well.IOt was indeed the last of the 'natural-sounding' tours.

The Steel Wheels tour was the first one where they used massive technical support for their musical presentation. It was different from all previous tours, and although the setlist was great and '2,000 lightyears' was a highlight of choreography Songs like 'Midnight rambler' suffered a bit because there was a certain sterility soundwise.

Date: December 20, 2019 10:37

ab
DandelionPowderman
ab
DandelionPowderman
ab

Bobby only played a few shows on selected (4?) numbers towards the end of the 81 tour. For 82 he was hired for every show, forming a horn section with Gene.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-20 10:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 20, 2019 15:56

Mathijs
ab

I think 1981 was the last real 'golden era' tour. By 1982 all the danger was gone. But that said, the 1989 and 1990 tour are certainly not my favourites, but they did play incredibly well. It might even have been Keith's ever playing. And they still played at the right speed, which is about 3 times faster than they play since Chuck took over.

And Bill Wyman. Man, he literally drives the Stones, what a fantastic bass player he was. He is so utterly missed.

Mathijs

1982: The first time Chuck Leavell was on board, but he was not as prominent as in the later years. So I agree with ab, that the Golden Era ended in 82.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 20, 2019 16:02

DandelionPowderman
ab
DandelionPowderman
ab
DandelionPowderman
ab

Bobby only played a few shows on selected (4?) numbers towards the end of the 81 tour. For 82 he was hired for every show, forming a horn section with Gene.

Bobby missed the first 6 shows. He played on TD, HTW, LIB and BS, as far as I recall.

Mathijs

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: December 21, 2019 03:11

TooTough
Unfortunately with the worst possible association ever...

Yeah, Budweiser does suck.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home