Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
MT+ Bob Dylan, live in Rotterdam 1984.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 4, 2012 14:36

I found this link on YouTube, wait for the ad to disappear and enjoy the band and Mick's great playing /footage.

[youtube.nlwww.123video.nl]

Re: MT+ Bob Dylan, live in Rotterdam 1984.
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 4, 2012 15:27

Great memories , seen 'em 3 weeks later in Paris.
Thanks for the linkthumbs up

HMN

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 4, 2012 17:23

A good video, it is really funny how many variations on Highway 61 exist.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 4, 2012 23:25

I didn't like the live album that comes from that tour, Real Live.

The mix is terrible on it, and the track selections, apart from Tangled Up In Blue, are tiresome.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 5, 2012 02:52

Real live has a blistering version of Masters of War and a fantastic version of I and I. Yeah, the mix isn't great, but MT is on fire on the entire collection.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 5, 2012 02:57

>Real live has a blistering version of Masters of War and a fantastic version of I and I.

Agreed. I'm very fond of RL but would love to see an expanded representation of that tour with songs like "Enough Is Enough" and "Why Do I Have To Choose?".

Date: March 5, 2012 02:59

Yeah, I dig Real Live and it is a real rock and roll version of Dylan. Lots of great guitar on it. Ballad of a Thin Man and Maggie's Farm are two other standouts.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 5, 2012 11:17

And the rockout Tombstone Blues closer ain't too shabby either!

Date: March 5, 2012 12:29

Yup ab! So true with Santana on guitar as well...

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: March 5, 2012 12:42

whitem8
Real live has a blistering version of Masters of War and a fantastic version of I and I. Yeah, the mix isn't great, but MT is on fire on the entire collection.

I bought RL a couple of years ago after having come accross some YT-footage of I and I (which now seems to have been removed). I was actually quite disappointed with the RL version, as MT's playing didn't reach the heights of the YT version.

Date: March 5, 2012 16:02

The CD is dense sounding, needs to be remastered. But I disagree with the critique of Taylor's playing on it. I find his jams to be scorching.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2012 16:04

I really like Real Live. It comes to short compared to the "full concerts" of 1984; of which many of them are available in excellent quality. Especially the later shows of the tour like Newcastle, Barcelona, Rome, London and Paris puts Real Live to shame. It's still Dylan's worst tour before 1986.....but that doesn't say much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 16:16 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 5, 2012 16:05

Would love to see a Bootleg Series edition, even if it was compiled from various shows like the Rolling Thunder set.

Date: March 5, 2012 16:23

I agree, and a DVD with stuff from the tour. That would be a great next edition of the Bootleg series. But also I would love a extensive Gospel Years box set. Some stunning stuff from that period.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: March 5, 2012 16:31

xke38
I bought RL a couple of years ago after having come accross some YT-footage of I and I (which now seems to have been removed). I was actually quite disappointed with the RL version, as MT's playing didn't reach the heights of the YT version.

I can't remember which concert the YT I & I footage was from, it may have been Newcastle.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 5, 2012 18:22

From what I have read and heard over the years it sounds like MT feels that his association with Dylan was his proudest moment. BWMcTell has been a staple in his set list, one would think for that reason. The fact that the Bobcats (and Heylin) do not like this tour does not diminish some of the fine music that was played. It was basically Bob fronting an English RnR band. The video from Wembley is fun...Van, EC. Chrissie Hynde is there and looks like the happiest person in the history of the world. MT walks over and has a word with Eric before...is it Pill-Box Hat? I cannot remember now. I saw a later interview with EC where he said he knew the song anyway.

Date: March 5, 2012 18:45

Yes, I think we can hear that Bob got backed up by a great English sounding R&R band.
Their live sound often reminds me of the RS in the early 7-tees. That's no miracle btw: Taylor put Bob's backing band together and that brought a sound to be proud of.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 5, 2012 19:51

I agree MT put his stamp on dylan songs and enriched them as only he can. If you read the Heylin book on Dylan there is a chapter about the 1984 tour and Dylan was frustrated that MT was not being the band leader and Dylan I believe fired him and rehired him the next day if my memory is correct.

play the guitar boy.

Date: March 5, 2012 20:08

I think Heylin was looking forward to the Charlie Sexton backed band that appeared on Letterman in 1983, and how they ripped through Jokerman and Don't Start Me To Talkin'.

I think the worst Dylan live was in 1987 with the Grateful Dead, and then in 1991 after GE Smith left.

Date: March 5, 2012 20:16

OpenG
I agree MT put his stamp on dylan songs and enriched them as only he can. If you read the Heylin book on Dylan there is a chapter about the 1984 tour and Dylan was frustrated that MT was not being the band leader and Dylan I believe fired him and rehired him the next day if my memory is correct.

play the guitar boy.

Wasn't Dylan the leader?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 5, 2012 20:57

Confess that as much as I like pretty much whatever Bob Dylan does - I have only 3 or 4 studio works - I bought Real Live mainly because of Taylor. Well, if Bob Dylan's fans really consider this to be a "bad" album, their standards must be quite high!

Absolutely love it. For many aspects I prefer what MT did with Dylan more than what he did with the Stones. What was great of his Stones was the way he was pushed to play by Keith (I mean that when MT is the main guitar, he tends to interpret the rhythm in a more relaxed way - with Keith kicking riffs like a wild horse, his timing was more on the edge)

C

Date: March 5, 2012 22:13

The thing is Mick Taylor was used in conjunction with Mark Knopfler on Infidels, and then with Ted Perleman on Tight Connection (To My Heart) from Empire Burlesque.

The problem was also that Maggie's Farm and Ballad of A Thin Man also appeared on Before The Flood, Hard Rain, and Live at Budokan amongst other albums. Dylan fans did feel, and still do, that Bob could have selected some of his other stuff. From what I understand, he did some more recent stuff such as material from Shot of Love and Slow Train Coming. A concession to Infidels was made with I & I and License to Kill.

Date: March 5, 2012 23:33

>I think Heylin was looking forward to the Charlie Sexton backed band that appeared on Letterman in 1983

It was 1984 and Charlie Sexton had no involvement whatsoever; his tenure with Dylan came many years later.

BD's backing band on Letterman was The Plugz [Justin Jesting (guitar), Tony Marisco (bass), and Charlie Quintana (drums)]. They only made that one appearance with Dylan.

Heylin *loathes* the Stones btw.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 6, 2012 01:32

Hi

I'm a novice in the Dylan & Taylor stuff done together but would love to get some good listening.

What's the best sounding/played boot( &/or official release) of them, both live and in the studio?

Cheers

Date: March 6, 2012 01:34

Barcelona is a good one.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 6, 2012 11:51

Amsterdamned
Yes, I think we can hear that Bob got backed up by a great English sounding R&R band.
Their live sound often reminds me of the RS in the early 7-tees. That's no miracle btw: Taylor put Bob's backing band together and that brought a sound to be proud of.

That's not correct, Dylan put the band together according to Ian McLagan, and it was quite an off-on affair with everybody involved. Apperently no one knew who would be there the day before the first gig, and during the gigs no one knew what songs would be played.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 6, 2012 11:53

OpenG

Again according to Ian MacLagan, no one was in good shape, all doing loads of various drugs, and Taylor apparently was quite depressed and distanced from the group at times. There where several fall outs between Dylan and Taylor, and with MacLagan.

Mathijs

Date: March 6, 2012 12:02

I think MacLagen inadvertently insulted Dylan by calling him "Byronic": Dylan misheard, thinking he referred to him as "Moronic"

Date: March 6, 2012 12:10

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

That's not correct, Dylan put the band together according to Ian McLagan, and it was quite an off-on affair with everybody involved. Apperently no one knew who would be there the day before the first gig, and during the gigs no one knew what songs would be played.

Mathijs

Ive heard a first hand (different story) how the band was put together. But wtf, the music was correct.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 6, 2012 13:55

Much better...

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home