Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Massive Tornado Outbreak in U.S.!!
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:43

mickijaggeroo
Chris Fountain
Thanks Max - Too early to tell - it just makes me disillusioned when Euro members talk about the "big freeze" and at the same time homes are destroyed and lives are lost. We simply don't know the extent or potential of these tornadic activities, especially on this scale.

Concerning jaggeroo's comment for not using OT for this topic - seems like the least of issues at this point - I guess cold weather is more imvportant than catastropic Tornadoes...

I can find all info on what ever in the news, I have no idea why news of what ever should be posted here. of course news of a tornado or earthquake or whatever, is important, but is it necessary to post it here? We´ll get that kind of news anyway by watching TV if it´s important enough, right?
Just my 2 cents..

Are you going to go around and police/post this on all of the stupid OT post, why just pick this one?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:48

mickijaggeroo
Chris Fountain
Thanks Max - Too early to tell - it just makes me disillusioned when Euro members talk about the "big freeze" and at the same time homes are destroyed and lives are lost. We simply don't know the extent or potential of these tornadic activities, especially on this scale.

Concerning jaggeroo's comment for not using OT for this topic - seems like the least of issues at this point - I guess cold weather is more imvportant than catastropic Tornadoes...

I can find all info on what ever in the news, I have no idea why news of what ever should be posted here. of course news of a tornado or earthquake or whatever, is important, but is it necessary to post it here? We´ll get that kind of news anyway by watching TV if it´s important enough, right?
Just my 2 cents..

You're right - however-

Cold Weather in Europe was publisized relentlessly on this board. It seems when America takes a hit and noone gives a shit.

Date: March 3, 2012 01:51

I dont mind if people post OTs on this board, why would anyone?
If see topic I dont care about ...I dont open it.... I move along

What people complain about and what is ok is strange... like I didnt see anyone complaining about the thread about someone getting a new kitchen table, and that topic only applied to one person... where were the thread police on that?

bv is the only one who matters when it come to what is OK and what is not,
why anyone else would ever chime in is beyond me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 01:54 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:53

So now the reports are over 50 reported tornadoes. Indeed that is a 'massive outbreak'. Just disregard my previous posting (BTW the number 3 I got from the CNN website, for what it is worth). Hang in there everyone.

And regarding the cold weather, that was around for weeks in a row, and effected millions. Tornadoes how devastating they are, usually effect a small group, and are gone in a day. I don't think that has anything to do with Europe vs the US.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:54

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 12:46 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: March 3, 2012 02:00

Who wants to be internet police?

winking smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 3, 2012 02:03

Chris Fountain
mickijaggeroo
Chris Fountain

Just my 2 cents..

You're right - however-

Cold Weather in Europe was publisized relentlessly on this board. It seems when America takes a hit and noone gives a shit.

I don't think that's true...it's Friday night here right now...I should think most EuroIorrians are either in bed or still out drinking & dancing etc.....I've never been in a Tornado but have about 6 Typhoons/hurricanes in Hong Kong. They're bad but obviously from seeing them on TV tornadoes are much more intense so worst, I wouldn't wish either or the -40 freeze we had here on anybody..............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 02:28 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 3, 2012 02:06

Gimme Shelter

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 3, 2012 02:07

Just heard it on the radio news. Seems to be really bad at some places. Best of luck to everyone who is in those areas. Sure hope it won't be as bad as they are predicting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 3, 2012 02:08

mickijaggeroo
memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
tumblingdice
Exactly Max, especially something like this that you grow up seeing or hearing all the time. I always feel that while news can be bad and we do care, at any given moment something just as bad or worse is happening somewhere else but it's not getting the media coverage. If we took it all personal we'd only worry and cry 24/7.
Right on.

What and where and who the news choose to report/care about and what it chooses to ignore always puzzles me. I was especially disgusted with the fear mongering and hyping hurricane season for a couple years after Katrina, hyping it so heavy... and then when there wasnt another direct hit....they wnadered on to something else to scare us to death... like.... OMG !!!! FIVE DOLLAR GAS!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
Yup = both sides are right - the storms are awful but the fear-mongers suck. BTW - Outbreak is correct to describe this event. I've the nat'l news on now - and if Outbreak is good enough for Brian Williams and friends - then I think it's acceptable usage on IORR. And I think weather could be deemed on-Stones topics...born in a cross fire hurricane...smoking smiley

Very far fetched, if going by that, no topic is OT. But I don´t really care, The detoriation of IORR continues...BTW, I don´t know why Brian Williams or his potential friends, who ever they are, justifies a post in IORR, never heard of the guy or his friends...and I think that goes for a lot of people here..
Boy - someone needs to get HAPPY. Sorry you're having a bad day. Didn't mean to degrade IORR by chatting about weather with some fellow "IORR-mates." And the last line was A JOKE. ...BTW - Brian Williams is the news anchorman of NBC (National Broadcasting Company). Which is akin to the BBC. My apologies - I was writing to the U.S. folks who were posting on this thread.

Date: March 3, 2012 02:27

I can't believe the complaints about this thread being Off Topic. Fellow Stones friends and fellow IORRians live in those areas and I am very glad I can be informed about their well being through this board. Just as every time when something bad happens wherever in the world. IORR is also a place where Stones friends can keep in touch with each other when something really bad happens. At least it used to be and I sure hope it can stay that way.
But hey Chris, maybe you should mark this thread OT. Just to keep everybody happy.

-------------------

Date: March 3, 2012 02:49

HANSIE FOR PRIME MINISTER PRESIDENT!!

Date: March 3, 2012 03:36

Max'sKansasCity
YEAH - AMEN - ROCK ON HANSIE & MAX'S & all the good people here on IORR!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 3, 2012 03:49

It was NUTS. Southern Indiana got smashed. We live a bit north of Louisville off I-71 so all of the major stuff went to the north and south of us. We got slammed with winds, just no rotation.

I ended up going nextdoor, shooting pool with my neighbor and drinking some whiskey. Ha!

Date: March 3, 2012 04:25

flacnvinyl
It was NUTS. Southern Indiana got smashed. We live a bit north of Louisville off I-71 so all of the major stuff went to the north and south of us. We got slammed with winds, just no rotation.

I ended up going nextdoor, shooting pool with my neighbor and drinking some whiskey. Ha!
So glad to hear you're safe & sound!smoking smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 3, 2012 05:49

Thanks! We're lifting up prayers for the folks affected by this storm. Southern Indiana and Tennessee were hit very very badly.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 3, 2012 06:41

flacnvinyl

Good for you man. I have some friends in Cinccinatti and when I heard that their was tornados in Indiana and Kentucky. Got freaked a bit.But talked to tehm and it wasn't that bad in their area.

Re: Massive Tornado Outbreak in U.S.!! and THE HAND OF FATE
Date: March 3, 2012 08:21

This was a pretty bad day, worse than I thought earlier,
28 people who were alive yesterday, wont be tomorrow. [apnews.myway.com]

Storms wreck Indiana towns, kill 28 in 3 states
HENRYVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Powerful storms leveled small towns in southern Indiana, transforming entire blocks of homes into piles of debris, tossing school buses into a home and a restaurant and causing destruction so severe it was difficult to tell what was once there. As night fell, dazed residents shuffled through town, some looking for relatives, while rescue workers searched the rubble for survivors. Without power, the only light in town came from cars that crawled down the streets.

From the Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes, the storms touched nearly all walks of life. A fire station was flattened. Roofs were ripped off schools. A prison fence was knocked down and scores of homes and businesses were destroyed. At least 28 people were killed, including 14 in Indiana and 12 in Kentucky, and dozens of others were hurt in the second deadly tornado outbreak this week.

It wasn't immediately clear how many people were missing.

The threat of tornadoes was expected to last until late Friday for parts of Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio. Forecasters at the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center said the massive band of storms put 10 million people at high risk of dangerous weather.

It is all about the hand of fate....

Mar 3, 12:56 AM (ET)
By KEN KUSMER and BRUCE SCHREINER
[apnews.myway.com]
HENRYVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Powerful storms leveled small towns in southern Indiana, transforming entire blocks of homes into piles of debris, tossing school buses into a home and a restaurant and causing destruction so severe it was difficult to tell what was once there. As night fell, dazed residents shuffled through town, some looking for relatives, while rescue workers searched the rubble for survivors. Without power, the only light in town came from cars that crawled down the streets.

From the Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes, the storms touched nearly all walks of life. A fire station was flattened. Roofs were ripped off schools. A prison fence was knocked down and scores of homes and businesses were destroyed. At least 28 people were killed, including 14 in Indiana and 12 in Kentucky, and dozens of others were hurt in the second deadly tornado outbreak this week.

It wasn't immediately clear how many people were missing.

The threat of tornadoes was expected to last until late Friday for parts of Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio. Forecasters at the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center said the massive band of storms put 10 million people at high risk of dangerous weather.

"We knew this was coming. We were watching the weather like everyone else," said Clark County, Ind., Sheriff Danny Rodden. "This was the worst case scenario. There's no way you can prepare for something like this."

In Henryville, the scene was eerie and somewhat chaotic. Cell phones and landlines were not working. Hundreds of firefighters and police zipped around town. Power lines were down and cars were flipped over. People walked down the street with shopping carts full of water and food, handing it out to whoever was in need.

Terry Brishaber said his uncle's mobile home was gone.

"I don't see any remnants. I don't know where it's at," he said.

Aerial footage from a TV news helicopter flying over Henryville showed numerous wrecked houses, some with their roofs torn off and many surrounded by debris. The video shot by WLKY in Louisville, Ky., also showed a mangled school bus protruding from the side of a one-story building and dozens of overturned semis strewn around the smashed remains of a truck stop.

"I'm a storm chaser," said Susie Renner, of Henryville, "and I have never been this frightened before."

Andy Bell was guarding a demolished garage until his friend could get to the business to retrieve some valuable tools Friday night. He looked around at the devastation, pointing to empty lots between a Catholic church and a Marathon station about a block away.

"There were houses from the Catholic church on the corner all the way to the Marathon station. And now it's just a pile of rubble, all the way up," he said. "It's just a great ..."

His voice trailed off, before he finished: "Wood sticks all the way up."

An Associated Press reporter in Henryville said the high school was destroyed and the second floor had been ripped off the middle school next door. Authorities said school was in session when the tornado hit, but there were only minor injuries there.

Classroom chairs were scattered on the ground outside, trees were uprooted and cars had huge dents from baseball-sized hail.

Ruth Simpson, of nearby Salem, came to the demolished town right after the storm hit, looking for relatives that she hadn't been able to find.

"I can't find them," she said, starting to cry, and then walked away.

The rural town about 20 miles north of Louisville is the home of Indiana's oldest state forest and the birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken founder Col. Harland Sanders.

Ernie Hall, 68, weathered the tornado inside his tiny home near the high school. Hall says he saw the twister coming down the road toward his house, whipping up debris in its path.

He and his wife ran into an interior room and used a mattress to block the door as the tornado struck. It destroyed his car and blew out the picture window overlooking his porch.

"I knew there was some bad weather out in the Midwest that was coming this way, but you don't count on a tornado hitting here that bad," he said.

Forecasters at the Storm Prediction Center said the spate of storms was unusual.

"Maybe five times a year we issue what is kind of the highest risk level for us at the Storm Prediction Center," forecaster Corey Mead said. "This is one of those days."

Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport was closed temporarily because of debris on the runways, but one of three runways had reopened by late afternoon. A fire station was flattened and several barns were toppled in northern Kentucky across the Ohio River from the badly damaged Indiana towns.

Chuck Wolfe, a Kentucky Transportation Cabinet spokesman, said one death was reported in Morgan County, where 50 Kentucky National Guard troops were deployed along with a rescue team. Eleven others were killed in three different counties as tornadoes hit multiple spot across the state.

Two people also died in Ohio. Emergency officials in Lee County, Va., said crews were searching for a man and woman after a tornado reportedly destroyed a home there.

The outbreak was also causing problems in Alabama and Tennessee where dozens of houses were damaged. It comes two days after an earlier round of storms killed 13 people in the Midwest and South.

At least 20 homes were ripped off their foundation and eight people were injured in the Chattanooga, Tenn., area after strong winds and hail lashed the area. To the east in Cleveland, Blaine Lawson and his wife Billie were watching the weather when the power went out. Just as they began to seek shelter, strong winds ripped the roof off their home. Neither was hurt.

"It just hit all at once," said Blaine Lawson, 76. "Didn't have no warning really. The roof, insulation and everything started coming down on us. It just happened so fast that I didn't know what to do. I was going to head to the closet but there was just no way. It just got us."

Thousands of schoolchildren in several states were sent home as a precaution, and other schools never opened. The Huntsville, Ala., mayor said students had to take cover as severe weather passed in the morning.

"Most of the children were in schools so they were in the hallways so it worked out very well," said Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle.

An apparent tornado also damaged a state maximum security prison about 10 miles from Huntsville, but none of the facility's approximately 2,100 inmates escaped. Alabama Department of Corrections spokesman Brian Corbett said there were no reports of injuries, but the roof was damaged on two large prison dormitories that each hold about 250 men. Part of the perimeter fence was knocked down, but the prison was secure.

For residents and emergency officials across the state, tornado precautions and cleanup are part of a sadly familiar routine. A tornado outbreak last April killed about 250 people around the state, with the worst damage in Tuscaloosa.

In one subdivision in in Athens, Ala., damage was visible on 10 homes. Bill Adams watched as two men ripped shingles off the roof of a house he rents out, and he fretted about predictions that more storms would pass through.

"Hopefully they can at least get a tarp on it before it starts again," he said.

Not far away, the damage was much worse for retired high school band director Stanley Nelson. Winds peeled off his garage door and about a third of his roof, making rafters and boxes in his attic visible from the street.

"It's like it just exploded," he said.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 08:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: March 3, 2012 09:39

memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
YEAH - AMEN - ROCK ON HANSIE & MAX'S & all the good people here on IORR!

thumbs up

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 3, 2012 11:31

Best wishes to the people in the affected areas.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 3, 2012 12:28

Chris Fountain

Concerning jaggeroo's comment for not using OT for this topic - seems like the least of issues at this point - I guess cold weather is more important than catastropic Tornadoes...

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: March 3, 2012 13:22

I've lived my whole life living with the specter of tornados. In the 1970's before the cable news channels, radar apps, and Internet weather tracking we just had to rely on the radio and learned what a bad storm looked like. We learned what a bad storm felt like, smelled like and learned how to respect these monsters.

On a few occasions we found National Weather servvice spotters parked in our neighborhood watching the clouds form and spin with binoculars and calling in wind speeds with radios.

I remember the look of shear terror on their faces when a funnel cloud formed across a field. They just said "run" and we all bolted for the basement of a house next door.

We were lucky on that day years go. Yesterday, I was lucky once again and the storms with their vortex monsters passed me by. I saw the same clouds yesterday I had as a child.

So many were not lucky. God speed to those poor souls.

If you are ever in tornado alley and those sirens go off remember that they are sounded only after those men with the radars, binoculars and cell phones see those clouds and feel the terror and need to just RUN. Please respect the power of the storms and the memory of those who tried to get away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 13:25 by rogue.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 3, 2012 16:36

flacnvinyl
Thanks! We're lifting up prayers for the folks affected by this storm. Southern Indiana and Tennessee were hit very very badly.

Tennesse ?

Oh ,no ,mr dja lives there .sad smiley
I just e-mailed him,hope he's safe.

Chris ,I thought that "OT" should be written as soon as the thread has no Stones content ,at least that's what I understood from bv policy .

So you live in Miami ?
I get a burning memory from there ...the worst sunburn ever (stupid me ,I think I screwed it with the sunscreen cream )
It was so painful I had to stay the whole in the bathtub filled with cold water ,hoping I won't fall asleep and drown myself :-)

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 16:46 by SwayStones.

Date: March 3, 2012 17:20

Very sorry to hear about all those people who got killed. So sad.
But on the other hand I am glad to read the posts from IORRians who are OK.
Mixed Emotions.

-------------------

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 3, 2012 17:25

This been reported in Finland also,we´ve also had some extreme conditions here past 2-3 winter/summers,but nothing like this.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 3, 2012 17:36

marko
This been reported in Finland also,we´ve also had some extreme conditions here past 2-3 winter/summers,but nothing like this.

Tornadoes? Sure you have. Even in Finland. This is nothing new and nothing humans can do about. It's not our fault, a tornado is a naturally occurring phenomenon on earth.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 3, 2012 23:09

They showed a woman on tv who had her home destroyed last year in a twister or tornado and rebuilt it in time for last Christmas only to see her house destroyed again.

I dont know if these widespread tornado outbreaks that seem to come out of nowhere are a new phenomenon or just seem that way due to our 24 hour news coverage these days.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: March 4, 2012 01:24

I saw a tornado once, from maybe a mile away. I don't want to see another one. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 4, 2012 02:31

I know only one person having first-hand experience with a tornado.
His house was hit about 3:00 one morning and completely destroyed.
He woke up in the empty lot next door, in his underwear, with only a few cuts & bruises.
In an instant, he lost all his material possessions, but somehow survived nearly unscathed.

This pales in comparison with the news report I just saw.

In yesterday's storms, a two year old girl turned up two miles away from her home, badly injured and in critical condition.
Her entire family was killed, and the tornado apparently carried this young girl for two miles before she finally came to rest on firm ground again.

The girl's extended family is with her, but no report on her prognosis.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 4, 2012 02:43

This guy lost his house twice in 10 months.
[news.yahoo.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home