Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: John Lennon
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 10, 2019 01:29

not sure if this was posted, but is it really 39 years ago yesterday that john lennon was so cowardly killed.

whatever opinions we have about john he didnt deserve this, such a coward was the person who took his life just cos he couldnt handle his own problems in life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 12:17 by bv.

Re: 39 years ago yesterday.
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 10, 2019 01:58

I'll never forget the moment the news came through early morning on my wee brother's radio alarm where we lived in Hamilton. I was just 13 and devastated. Lennon's killer remains in prison to this day, as much for his own protection as anything else.

There was a malaise amongst other top artists for a long time afterwards. McCartney didn't tour again for another 9 years.

It was only a year later when our Keith was confronted by a stage crasher in Virginia and he took no chances, clobbering him with his guitar.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 10, 2019 02:05

It was totally devastating. It was the JFK of my generation. If you watch the new movie "Yesterday" the main character goes in search of John Lennon because he is alive in the alternate universe. He meets John and he is retired and he is 78 years old. I just about wanted to cry.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 10, 2019 02:20

grzegorz67
I'll never forget the moment the news came through early morning on my wee brother's radio alarm where we lived in Hamilton. I was just 13 and devastated. Lennon's killer remains in prison to this day, as much for his own protection as anything else.

There was a malaise amongst other top artists for a long time afterwards. McCartney didn't tour again for another 9 years.

It was only a year later when our Keith was confronted by a stage crasher in Virginia and he took no chances, clobbering him with his guitar.

And it was only nine months later (in September '81) when Paul Simon was confronted by someone who rushed the stage...right after he just sang a line about Lennon in "The Late Great Johnny Ace" (during his reunion concert with Artie in Central Park). Paul paused briefly, but didn't miss a beat and continued with the song.

I was 15 when John was killed...it was awful. I always take time out to listen to his music on that date, and his birthday as well.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2019 03:10

He was 40 and it's almost 40 years ago Man times fly........I remember it as it was yesterday......and yes I was devastated too......I just started collecting all his records so I was into Lennon at the time.....the 15th of December 1980 my oldest daughter was born so it was time to forget ;o(

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 10, 2019 04:35

One of three days in my memory where afterwards things were never going to be the same again.
November 22, 1963
December 8, 1980
September 11th, 2001

RIP John

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 10, 2019 05:05

MisterDDDD
One of three days in my memory where afterwards things were never going to be the same again.
November 22, 1963
December 8, 1980
September 11th, 2001

RIP John

Same here, Mike. Those dates are etched into my brain. I clearly remember where I was when I heard that JFK had been assassinated. I was in math class in 8th grade and Betty Goldstein came in crying and told something to Mr. Thompson, who then told us.

I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced that John Lennon had been shot and killed. It was a shock, unthinkable.

September 11: My daughter, who was in college, called me and said you have to turn on the tv.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 10, 2019 05:31

DaveG

Same here, Mike. Those dates are etched into my brain. I clearly remember where I was when I heard that JFK had been assassinated. I was in math class in 8th grade and Betty Goldstein came in crying and told something to Mr. Thompson, who then told us.

I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced that John Lennon had been shot and killed. It was a shock, unthinkable.

September 11: My daughter, who was in college, called me and said you have to turn on the tv.

I was watching the game too with a friend at his girlfriends house. Just a couple weeks ago I dropped my daughter off at her friends house which was almost directly across the street. I pointed across the street and told my daughter about that Monday night. For many of us it was the day the music died.

On 9/11 I had called my late father and was talking to him on the phone about the attack and as were watching it live on TV, we saw the plane fly into the second tower. I remember saying to him "did you just see that, another plane just flew into the tower."

It's really true how in literally a snap of the finger time goes by.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 10, 2019 05:50

The Sicilian
For many of us it was the day the music died.

I still have this copy of Time Magazine...I remember getting choked up the first time I saw it, and I still feel the same way all these years later.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2019 06:31

Not the same year but same date
that Riffin' Boy and Laurie sadly left the world ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 10, 2019 07:05

Was devastated by this. At 17 I was at a peak of fandom awaiting the new album and tour. I was impressed with the new music and seemed he was happy. And then the big event. Still shakes me today.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:35

Jah Paul
The Sicilian

I still have this copy of Time Magazine...I remember getting choked up the first time I saw it, and I still feel the same way all these years later.

Exageration. Good musician, songwriter. But music did not die.

Date: December 10, 2019 09:29

MisterDDDD
November 22, 1963
December 8, 1980
September 11th, 2001

RIP John

Did you ever wake up to find
A day that broke up your mind
Destroyed your notion of circular time

It's just that demon life has got you in its sway
It's just that demon life has got you in its sway

Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground
For all my friends out on the burial ground
Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down

It's just that demon life has got me in its sway
It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 10, 2019 18:08

grzegorz67
Lennon's killer remains in prison to this day, as much for his own protection as anything else.

Wrong. He is in jail because he is a murderer and has been denied release over and over again. It has nothing to do with his safety. Yoke demands that he stays behind bars. The ironic thing is that John and Yoko in the 1970's were going around saying that nobody should be in jail not even murderers. They were insulting when people questioned them about it. That sums them up as much as anything they ever did. The hypocrisy. Virtue signaling until life hit them in the face.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2019 18:21

stanlove
grzegorz67
Lennon's killer remains in prison to this day, as much for his own protection as anything else.

Wrong. He is in jail because he is a murderer and has been denied release over and over again. It has nothing to do with his safety. Yoke demands that he stays behind bars. The ironic thing is that John and Yoko in the 1970's were going around saying that nobody should be in jail not even murderers. They were insulting when people questioned them about it. That sums them up as much as anything they ever did. The hypocrisy. Virtue signaling until life hit them in the face.

I think that's part of their charm. The famous Lennon Interview in Rolling Stone magazine in the early 70s revealed how full of it John could be. One minute serious, the next minute no more informed than any of us. Only an out of touch genius multi millionaire could write 'Imagine no possessions.' That doesn't detract from his genius as a songwriter, and musician. John, in his last interview, was still jealous of the Stones relevance. I long ago reconciled John's 'hypocrisy'. His first solo album, Plastic Ono Band, touched me, and applied to me personally, more than any other work created in any medium, ever.

Re: OT: John Lennon
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 10, 2019 18:32

24FPS, nicely said. That's what I cued in on him even as a teenager, he was not without fault. He didn't try to portray himself as self righteous or angelic. People jump to this conclusion (in my opinion) to down play his legacy and importance. This is an argument that can't be won, people will believe what they want. I choose John. By the way I too consider the Plastic Ono Band to be something more than another ordinary LP. It's almost a road map to life that no other artist/musician has been able to do, again in my opinion. I believe this is part of John's endless appeal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 18:39 by frankotero.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 10, 2019 18:35

MileHigh
It was totally devastating. It was the JFK of my generation. If you watch the new movie "Yesterday" the main character goes in search of John Lennon because he is alive in the alternate universe. He meets John and he is retired and he is 78 years old. I just about wanted to cry.
That was a moving scene...very surreal but I enjoyed it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2019 19:02

frankotero
Was devastated by this. At 17 I was at a peak of fandom awaiting the new album and tour. I was impressed with the new music and seemed he was happy. And then the big event. Still shakes me today.

I was also 17 at the time, and it was all horribly sad...the entire week was surreal.
I ditched school the following day, and remember the radio stations having Beatles/Lennon marathons with all the tributes, news updates, etc.
I have about nine or ten unedited cassette tapes I recorded directly from the radio that day with advertizments and all...interesting/sad time capsules.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 10, 2019 22:24

John - Brian - John - Brian ..... sigh confused smiley

Date: December 10, 2019 22:57

mtaylor
Jah Paul
The Sicilian

By music dying it meant a guy who put out one decent album ( a few decent pop songs ) in the last 5 years had died. I hate that kind of hype and feel good nonsense.

Obviously a tragedy that he was killed and I felt badly for his family. The rest gets silly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-10 23:00 by stanlove.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2019 00:56

stanlove
mtaylor
Jah Paul
The Sicilian

By music dying it meant a guy who put out one decent album ( a few decent pop songs ) in the last 5 years had died. I hate that kind of hype and feel good nonsense.

Obviously a tragedy that he was killed and I felt badly for his family. The rest gets silly.

By music dying it meant a musical GIANT and a big part of music history had died.
His self imposed hiatus meant nothing in terms of his creative genius or status as an icon.

PS- When Elvis died he wasn't actually a "King".
Glad I could help clear that up for you cool smiley

Date: December 11, 2019 08:18

MisterDDDD
stanlove
mtaylor
Jah Paul
The Sicilian

By music dying it meant a musical GIANT and a big part of music history had died.
His self imposed hiatus meant nothing in terms of his creative genius or status as an icon.

In my opinion, "When the Music Died" is a reference to the meta-social and societal phenomenon that the Beatles and John Lennon represented. There was this idea of "The Beatles" in the collective consciousness of hundreds and hundreds of millions of people that was living on in their memories, and their hearts and their souls. And that day the idea, this common experience that so many shared, was given a big blow that could not be recovered from. So it's a concept that goes far far above just the actual music, it's about a force that helped shape and form all of us as we grew up. And of course in 2020 more than half the population doesn't really understand that aspect of it because "The Beatles" are just a Google search.

Here is another way of putting it. If you read "A Diary of Anne Frank" and you have a heart and a soul then Anne Frank lives inside of you. I think I read it more than 40 years ago and she still lives inside of me. I still think about her from time to time. One day about 20 years ago I was in a big bookstore and I starting thinking about her and I came to tears. In 1980, just about everybody had that "Beatles experience" within them, we all watched them on Ed Sullivan. We all grew up with them.

And that collective experience was dealt a serious blow on that day, and it felt like it died that day.

Date: December 11, 2019 08:30

And she lived and she was real. I was in a bit of shock when I saw the footage for the first time. John did indeed have have his faults. Like many, I didn't care for a lot of his solo music. He had a temper and he was quite violent when he was younger. Perhaps his whole peace initiative was partly related to an atonement for his past. It was a real shock when we lost him and in the final analysis, there was much much more good than bad.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 11, 2019 15:07

stanlove
grzegorz67

He has been denied parole but I doubt that position can be sustained indefinitely.
I cannot imagine Yoko's opinion is a material factor though the decision making process may be different in the US than the UK.
Should Chapman get a longer sentence because it was a 'celebrity killing'? Rationally, you would think not...but it is a very emotive issue. Certainly there are many cases of double murderers who have served less than 40 years.
Of course the Psychiatric reports on his current condition and whether he presents a threat to anyone else will be a significant factor. But as we know from recent cases in the UK thise judgements can never claim to be 100% reliable.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:25

mark chapman has been denied parole 11 times.

should he still be in jail after all this time while others who have committed similar are out, cant answer that, but the law in both the uk and us dosent always get it right. if he does get out i fear for him, but he made his choice in december 1980 so hes had to live with it.

Date: December 11, 2019 20:29

buttons67

should he still be in jail after all this time while others who have committed similar are out, cant answer that, but the law in both the uk and us dosent always get it right. if he does get out i fear for him, but he made his choice in december 1980 so hes had to live with it.

I would not fear for him at all. How often do you even hear about family members taking out killers when they get out of jail, It basically doesn't happen.

Date: December 11, 2019 20:31

MisterDDDD
stanlove
mtaylor
Jah Paul
The Sicilian

No actually it didn't. It was just Time magazine looking for a catchy headline.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:35

buttons67

John Hinckley Jr. is out of prison, and he shot a PRESIDENT. Now, Reagan didn't die of course, but he came much closer to dying than people knew at the time.

The bottom line is that Chapman must have been repeatedly deemed not stable enough to re-enter society. His next hearing is scheduled for next year and the result will likely be the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home