Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Alfie Soundtrack
Posted by: mofur ()
Date: November 6, 2007 19:52

I've just been searching for a thread on Alfie - could not find one (sure some kind soul will now point out the endless threads of times gone by, so here goes:

Just got it in the mail yesterday so only on my third run-through - "Raising Sand" keeps pushing it out of the player - but it's actually better than I thought it would be.

Not a classic by any means - but not a "dud", either IMHO ;-)

Re: Alfie Soundtrack
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 6, 2007 19:55

What's it all about?

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: November 6, 2007 19:57

BluzDude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's it all about?

What do you mean?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 6, 2007 19:58

What's it all about, Alfie?

the song....never mind

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 6, 2007 22:10

Its actually a really nice album.

I do find it amazing that on the European release of the CD they didnt include the duet with Sheryl Crow of "old Habits Die Hard". Considering that Sheryl still manages to have chart success with her singles and the film had got a lot of attention in the UK, I would have thought that it would have been Mick's best chance of a successful solo single since 'Dancing in The Streets'.

Bizarre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-06 22:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: November 8, 2007 11:01

Sheryl Crow on "Old Habit's Die Hard". What a truly horrible idea. Shame on you Gazza!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2007 14:09

What - maximise the album's sales by releasing as a single the song on the album which had the most commercial appeal instead of leaving it off the European version of the CD altogether?

Makes no sense, right enough.....

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 8, 2007 15:33

I also like the Alfie soundtrack. (And I chuckled at the "what's it all about?" line above.)

After Mick and Dave Stewart won a Golden Globe for "Old Habits Die Hard," I saw an Oscar in their future. They didn't even get nominated!

It was at that moment I realized that the universe is guided by a malevolent diety.

These are the songs that got nominated for the 2004 Best Song Oscar:
“Accidentally In Love” from “Shrek 2”
“Al Otro Lado Del Río” from “The Motorcycle Diaries”
“Believe” from “The Polar Express”
“Learn To Be Lonely” from “The Phantom of the Opera”
“Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)” from “The Chorus (Les Choristes)”

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 8, 2007 23:32

I know, Monkeylad, you're right! Alfie blew away the Oscar-nominated competition! I love this soundtrack!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 9, 2007 00:40

"Old Habits Die Hard" is great. "The Blind Leading the Blind" is very good. "Let's Make It Up" is filler. "Lonely Without You" is a poor rewrite of "Merry Christmas, Baby." The instrumentals are crap. He should have stuck "Deep Down Under" and "Stomp" on there instead.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 9, 2007 00:45

see the thread I had started about this great CD

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 9, 2007 01:20

?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 10, 2007 01:07

When the Alfie soundtrack came out, the European version had EMI's silly copyright protection software in the place where the American version had the Sheryl Crow duet. Of course, I ordered the US version.

I guess the album is among Dave Stewart's best productions. As for the songs, I especially like New York Hustle.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 9, 2019 21:12

Man I just found out that Mick did an instrumental track for this film and called it "Oh Nikki" It sounds vaguely like Not Fade Away with that Diddley riffing. I can get into it. Is the movie worth the while?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 9, 2019 21:13

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 9, 2019 22:19

Most enjoyable album (not least because of Joss Stone's great singing). Never knew about the Crow collaboration (it's not on my copy).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home