Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
NME Show 1968
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: December 14, 2008 00:01

Just wondering: whats the date of this show? Whats the circumstances (what does NME stand for)? I understand this is their only concert in 1968 excluding the Circus . . . any photos, any footage, any recording? Could this be the holy grail of bootlegs?

Re: NME Show 1968
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 14, 2008 00:06

12th May 1968

New Musical Express

They only played two songs (JJF and Satisfaction). Their performance wasnt televised and only a short clip was included on the Southern TV (ITV regional) show "Time for Blackburn".

The holy grail of bootlegs? There'd be quite a few in that category, personally, but anything from 1962-63 would be way ahead of it, plus the El Mocambo shows from 1977 and the Stu tribute in 1986.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 14, 2008 00:07

from Nico's Stones' Works:

680512A 12th May: Wembley, Empire Pool, 'NME Pollwinners Concert’
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR)
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR)

680512B 12th May: UK TV (ITV) 'Time For Blackburn', Wembley.
- parts from the 'NME Pollwinners Concert'
- interview with MJ
Note: Televised on the 18th May.

from Wikipedia:

The New Musical Express (better known as the NME) is a popular music magazine in the United Kingdom which has been published weekly since March 1952. It was the first British paper to include a singles chart which first appeared in the 14 November 1952 edition. The magazine's commercial heyday was during the 1970s when it became the best-selling British music magazine. During the period 1972 to 1976 it was particularly associated with Gonzo journalism, then became closely associated with Punk rock through the writing of Tony Parsons and Julie Burchill.

During the 1960s the paper championed the new British groups emerging at the time. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were frequently featured on the front cover. These and other artists also appeared at the NME Poll Winners Concert, an awards event that featured artists voted as most popular by the paper's readers. The concert also featured an awards ceremony where the poll winners would collect their awards. The NME Poll Winners Concerts took place between 1963 and 1966. They were filmed, edited and then transmitted on British television a few weeks after they had taken place.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 14, 2008 00:07

12 May 1968 Empire Pool, Wembley. Many photos,but no audio or video circulates, although it was recorded. New Musical Express, a UK Music magazine, voters are readers who wrote in votes for their favorite artists.

JR

Date: December 14, 2008 00:12

The Stones appeared at the NME Pollwinners show in 1964,1965,1966 and 1968. The show was filmed at the Empire Pool, Wembley (now known as Wembley Arena)

The Stones only permitted their 1964 and 1965 performances to be broadcast. In 1966, both themselves and the Beatles performed and obviously both acts wanted to be top of the bill. So, they decided to have the show in two parts - with the Stones closing thefirst half and the Beatles the second. Neither act allowed their performance to be broadcast.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 14, 2008 00:13

interesting info, Gazza, thanks.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: December 14, 2008 00:15

interesting thanks guys . . . didn't realize they only played 2 songs, so definately not holy grail type of thing

Also i didn't realize they played sympathy on TV, it seems jagger had his rock'n'roll circus "act" down, or is this after r'n'r circus???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-14 00:17 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: December 14, 2008 01:23

This is from December 4, 1968...8 days before the RnR Circus...

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: December 14, 2008 02:11

amazing footage!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 14, 2008 03:05

The NME concert for 1966 must have been something else.
Along with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones,
also playing were the Who, the Yardbirds, the Small Faces,
Herman's Hermit's, Spencer Davis Group, the Fortunes,
Roy Orbison, Alan Price, Cliff Richard, the Seekers, the Shadows,
Sounds Incorporated, Dusty Sprigfield, the Walker Brothers,
the Overlanders, Crispian St. Peters, and...Davy, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch

Date: December 14, 2008 04:57

NorthShoreBlues2
interesting thanks guys . . . didn't realize they only played 2 songs, so definately not holy grail type of thing

Also i didn't realize they played sympathy on TV, it seems jagger had his rock'n'roll circus "act" down, or is this after r'n'r circus???

Just before. David Frost Show. . They're not exactly "playing" it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-14 04:58 by Gazza.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: December 14, 2008 12:55

Gary, did you try in the past to contact ITV and find out if a Time for Blackburn is still available in their arkiv? I read the BBC destroyed almost all the TYLS, TOTP and RSG old videos, but maybe this TFB survived.

Date: December 14, 2008 17:13

Well..the TV station "Southern TV" no longer exists for starters. I think it's TVS would own the franchise for that region now.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: December 14, 2008 18:44

straycat58
Gary, did you try in the past to contact ITV and find out if a Time for Blackburn is still available in their arkiv? I read the BBC destroyed almost all the TYLS, TOTP and RSG old videos, but maybe this TFB survived.

'Ready Steady Go' was never broadcast or owned by BBC...

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: December 14, 2008 18:53

Finally some footage of the Stones that I have never seen.

Date: December 14, 2008 18:54

Don't know how it works in UK but in Italy we stressed so much TV managers, nerworks, etc, etc, and at least something surfaced like a 67 documentary anticipating their italian first tour and shot in the backstage of the London Palladium and later at Brian's home (I guess you know the video I'm talking about).
I understand the difficulties but.. who knows? there's any stones-fan in UK who is linked with the TV networks and can make an investigation? So far,we have no evidence that Time for Blackburn went lost.

Date: December 14, 2008 19:01

Sleepy City
straycat58

'Ready Steady Go' was never broadcast or owned by BBC...

Neither was "Thank Your Lucky Stars" (broadcast on ITV by ATV), which was pretty much always lip-synched I think.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: December 19, 2008 10:51

never see this before ? Any Dvd ? .

Date: December 19, 2008 11:02

There is also one from Streetfighting Man 1968 ;Strange Clip .

Date: December 19, 2008 14:00

Rufe are you referring to the one with mick dressed in pink? It's taken from the film Umano non Umano

Date: December 19, 2008 16:59

I Think So ? , But Maby a New Clip ! .. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 20, 2008 08:19

Are there any more Rare Clips from the Sixties ???? ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: January 10, 2010 16:35

Gazza
Well..the TV station "Southern TV" no longer exists for starters. I think it's TVS would own the franchise for that region now.

Southern TV changed hands in 1982 into Southern Star Group. I have been sending some mails around to see if they still had this recordings in their archives, unfortunatly they don't even have the decency to respond (i have the suspiscion that the secretary receiving the mails have really no idea about the historical value of this recording and may even not like the Stones, so he just deletes the messages without informing his superiors, it's just a suspiscion though). Did get into contact with some one who had worked for Southern TV, who told me that he had also for years been searching for it, but in vain. However i did come across an article about a Spencer Davies Group CD release called Spencer Davies Group Sessions & Shows 1966-1968 which contains the Spencers performance at the aforementioned NME 1968 Pollwinners Concert, this may give rise to the hope that the whole show might be recorded (yes icl the Stones performance), and the Spencer Davies Group might actually have a copy of it. Anyway i also had send a message to the Spencer Davies Group, but alas again no response back. Have to add though that i contacted them through their official website which might actually be run by their touring agent rachter than Davies himself, so he might never have received the message. i know he is on Facebook himself, but i'm not (and have no intention either) so maybe some of you who are on Face book would want to try and contact Spencer Davies himself about this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-10 17:19 by behroez.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 10, 2010 17:03

NorthShoreBlues2

It is in the sense that it's the first ever live performance of JJF (their most-ever-played-live song) and one of only two live performances of that song that featured Brian. Also, the sound quality could be excellent, as the technique of recording a live rock band had been more or less perfected by '68.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: January 10, 2010 17:34

Does any one know if thier gear set up was similar to the rnr circus? I'm curious how thier sound was at this point? Rnr circus was diffinately a trans period in thier sound, that yielded some great results!

Go Dawgs!

Date: January 10, 2010 17:46

nankerphlege
Does any one know if thier gear set up was similar to the rnr circus? I'm curious how thier sound was at this point? Rnr circus was diffinately a trans period in thier sound, that yielded some great results!

There is another threat on this performance where it is mentioned that they sounded like the 1967 European Tour. But as stated before the Spencer Davies Group may actually have the the tapes of this shows Stones performance

Date: January 10, 2010 17:55

nankerphlege

So more like this, but ofcourse we'll never know untill we get the tape (if ever)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 21:30 by behroez.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 10, 2010 18:01

Great post behroez...........I never saw this before

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: January 10, 2010 18:09

I forget how on the edge and "hard" sounding they were on rnr circus. they really matured musically from 67 to rnr circus.

Date: January 10, 2010 18:36

nankerphlege
I forget how on the edge and "hard" sounding they were on rnr circus. they really matured musically from 67 to rnr circus.

Really? I prefer them live in 1967 and than 1969 again, but the Circus? No to weak, the soul was gone (Brian), always felt that they should have allowed Brian the freedom to fill it in the way he can and probarly wanted, which was without guitar, a Brian for example playing organ on Jumping Jack Flash would have been quite something. But ofcourse they wanted to promote Beggars and so it needed to sound like Beggars. which forced Brian to do something he didn't want to do and had lost the feeling for. And a soulless Brian calls for a very poor performance indeed.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1338
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home