Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
In Praise of Monkey Man!
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:04

I have to say, after someone shared that YouTube video by CandyFromStranger, I have a completely new appreciation of Monkey Man. The guitar sounds are AMAZING.

Hey Musicians - can you tell me what makes that slight tinkling sound at the beginning of the song - piano? It works so well to balance the guitars (or whatever the musical term is).

THANK YOU MONKEY MAN. Today's favorite Stones song for me - other than tracks from Exile mais oui.
Here's a link to the video for those of you who missed. Sorry I'm not clever enough to imbed the actual file...
Monkey Man Keith Richards
Paint it Black - you devil drinking smiley

Re: In Praise of Monkey Man!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:06

deep cuts like Monkey Man make it very difficult to declare EOMS better than LIB.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:09

True----Only the Rolling Stones could cut a track called Monkey Man and
make it cool!!

Date: March 1, 2012 19:10

MMM...I see where you're going - but I have to say NO - in my estimation Exile still rules the roost. Due not only to the number of great songs on it, but the roller coaster ride the complete album takes you on. But LIB is WONDERFUL too!smoking smiley

Date: March 1, 2012 19:18

hot stuff
make it cool!!
Has anyone ever seen them play it live? I would think it would be hard to do...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:22

There is hardly a song that features Nicky that isn't terrific. I do not think this song works particularly as well on stage as it does as a recording. Credit the production team again. I remember sitting in car with a friend, buzzed, trying to figure out the words. Did he say f-you?

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:26

one of my top 10 favorite Stones tracks. Ridiculous lyrics, yes. But the music is fantastic, and the sound is positively amazing. How Jimmy Miller got that sound I don't know - and Keith's guitar work is so beautifully nuanced.

They've never fully recaptured it on stage - the Voodoo tour versions were especially weak I thought - but the MSG 2003 performance was pretty spirited.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:29

I'm a fleabit peanut monkey
All my friends are junkies
That's not really true

I'm a cold Italian pizza
I could use a lemon squeezer
What you do?

But I've been bit and I've been tossed around
By every she-rat in this town
Have you, babe?

Well, I am just a monkey man
I'm glad you are a monkey woman too

I was bitten by a boar
I was gouged and I was gored
But I pulled on through

Yes, I'm a sack of broken eggs
I always have an unmade bed
Don't you?

Well, I hope we're not too messianic
Or a trifle too satanic
We love to play the blues

Well I am just a monkey man
I'm glad you are a monkey, monkey woman
Monkey woman too, babe!

I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey!
I'm a monkey man! I'm a monkey man!
I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey!
Monkey! monkey! monkey!.......

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:29

memphiscats
Has anyone ever seen them play it live?

well you bet memphiscats! the rendition on Four Flicks is especially hot - be sure to check it out

but the astonishing spaciousness of the studio version is just so gorgeous -
that riff soaring and swooping like some great splendid-plumed muscular and wild jungle bird

and since you love Monkey Man, this little number will groove you as well:

ahhh i love the Rolling Stones ... and the Pre-Barbarians too :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 20:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:31

I love it, especially Keith's guitar playing, even though it has what amounts to nonsense lyrics.

Date: March 1, 2012 19:42

with sssoul
memphiscats
Has anyone ever seen them play it live?

well you bet memphiscats! the rendition on Four Flicks is especially hot - be sure to check it out

the astonishing spaciousness of the studio version is just so gorgeous -
that riff swooping around like some great splendid-plumed muscular and wild jungle bird

and since you love Monkey Man, this little number will groove you as well:

ahhh i love the Rolling Stones ... and the Pre-Barbarians too :E
the astonishing spaciousness of the studio version is just so gorgeous - that riff swooping around like some great splendid-plumed muscular and wild jungle bird
Perfectly stated! And I loved the video - awesome - YOU MADE MY DAY!!smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:44

memphiscats
I have to say, after someone shared that YouTube video by CandyFromStranger, I have a completely new appreciation of Monkey Man. The guitar sounds are AMAZING.

Hey Musicians - can you tell me what makes that slight tinkling sound at the beginning of the song - piano? It works so well to balance the guitars (or whatever the musical term is).

THANK YOU MONKEY MAN. Today's favorite Stones song for me - other than tracks from Exile mais oui.
Here's a link to the video for those of you who missed. Sorry I'm not clever enough to imbed the actual file...

>>Hey Musicians - can you tell me what makes that slight tinkling sound at the beginning of the song - piano? It works so well to balance the guitars (or whatever the musical term is<<

Its vibraharp isn't it?

I love that song. I always imaging the jam it must have evolved from..Keith and Charlie..they get each others playing so well..
What a great example of pure Stones studio magic.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:47

Love the track...the reason I don't like LIB as well as Exile - and it's a very small criticism - is that much of it sounds too clinically clean to me. Not enough grit. Tracks like Midnight Rambler, Live With Me an Love In Vain all sounded much better on Ya Yas, imo.

Date: March 1, 2012 19:50

71Tele
Love the track...the reason I don't like LIB as well as Exile - and it's a very small criticism - is that much of it sounds too clinically clean to me. Not enough grit. Tracks like Midnight Rambler, Live With Me an Love In Vain all sounded much better on Ya Yas, imo.
Ha - well I cut my teeth on IORR by criticizing MR so I won't go down that road again...I'm ashamed to admit it - I confess to you my Rolling Stones brothers & sisters that I don't own Ya Yas. Nor have I ever listened to it. I hang my head in shame - I'm not worthy...I will make it a goal to get a copy ASAP. Midnight Rambler & all smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 19:52 by memphiscats.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:55

memphiscats
hot stuff
make it cool!!

Was so happy to hear they played it on the 94/95 tour. Went to the first two nights at Wembley and they didn't play it. Damn. Was outside for the third night desperately trying to get a ticket but just couldn't get one.
So went back home - about five miles away to Swiss Cottage.

Got in about 25 mins after the set started and opened the windows as I could hear the pounding music being carried on the wind from Wembley Stadium. And to my eternal amazement there it was, the strains of Monkey Man riding on the cool breeze. Man, was that a buzz and a half.

Everything was put right though after I got a ticket for the Brixton Academy show and they played it that night. So yes, I have seen them do it. And it's great live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 20:50 by Silver Dagger.

Date: March 1, 2012 19:59

The Licks version is pretty damn good. But this one here is a bit off!

From the Voodoo tour in New Jersey:

THIS is the one that is on Four Flicks, which is pretty damn good. Amazing difference with the string section from the top one to this one:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:02

The tinkling is a mix of Nicky playing piano and Bill playing vibraphone.

I like Bill's vibraphone contribution heard throughout the track, it adds a nice little extra sonic flavour without getting in the way. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 20:05 by His Majesty.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:02

Funny i always loved the sound of LIB....Being so clean in a way helped make it dirty...

Kind of eerie sounding..Menacing.. Wow, Monkey man, M.R,, Live with me, Country honk, Love in Vain
and Gimmie Shelter sound soooo great on lp..No tricks to make it sound deep and dark...

Just great magic made by the Stones in the studio. Play it Loud!

Date: March 1, 2012 20:04

Silver Dagger
memphiscats
hot stuff
make it cool!!

Was so happy to hear they played it on the 94/95 tour. Went to the first two nights at Wembley and they didn't play it. Damn. Was outside for the third night desperately trying to get a ticket but just couldn't get one.
So went back home - about five miles away to Swiss Cottage.

Got in about 25 mins after the set started and opened the windows as I could hear the pounding music being carried on the wind from Wembley Stadium. And to my eternal amazement there it was, the strains of Monkey Man riding on the cool breeze. Man, was that a buzz and a half.

Everything was put right though after I got a ticket for the Brixton Academy show and they played that night. So yes, I have seen them do it. And it's great live.
Great story - I love happy endings cool smiley

Date: March 1, 2012 20:05

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Licks version is pretty damn good. But this one here is a bit off!

From the Voodoo tour in New Jersey:

THIS is the one that is on Four Flicks, which is pretty damn good. Amazing difference with the string section from the top one to this one:

Wow - watched 'em all. Yeah - have to agree the last is the best or at least sounds the closest to the LIB version. THANK YOU!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:07

Maybe the first track that made me think they were much more sophisticated musically. It's a very jazz opening and Nicky's piano lifts the whole thing. Also introduced me to the word 'messianic'. I think the lyrics are brilliant. They outline the current state of the band. This is pre-Altamont and they're already concerned with being seen as Satanic. I've seen good live versions, I guess it was the Licks Tour. A standout track on maybe their 2nd most famous LP?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:08

One of the band's best tracks. This is a song only the Stones could make. It was a highlight on the Licks tour.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:10

Davy Jones (1945 - 2012)

R.I.P.
Monkee Man

Date: March 1, 2012 20:13

I have heard it live, the Voodoo tour in New Orleans. I managed to get the bootleg from someone too, which I think the only live boot of any show I've ever been to. It's not nearly as good as that New Jersey version, Mick sounds like he has to burp through the whole song. It seems that on the Licks tour they really PLAYED the song, where is on the Voodoo tour they just sort of did it. There's more life to the Licks tour version overall. Charlie is a bit soft on the Voodoo versions compared to the Licks versions.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:15

memphiscats
hot stuff
make it cool!!

YES!! They did it at Toronto's ACC in 2002 and it was brilliant! We had front rows and I noticed (for some reason) that Jagger's blue- striped shirt was frayed around the edges!!

If memory serves,the lights were down and Jagger began the tune without the musicians. He teased the audience for a bit leading into the tune. Then the lights came up and the band played amazingly!hot smiley

ETA: Here's the setlist for that night:

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 20:19 by Cocaine Eyes.

Date: March 1, 2012 20:17

You're welcome Memphiscats. I think it's this kind of thing that is the heart of IORR - sharing! Or at least a nod in the right direction!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:18

A definitive Rolling Stones song.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:46

memphiscats
hot stuff
make it cool!!

Saw them do it live in 2002 & 2006. A highlight for sure! One of the coolest Keith riffs ever!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:48

duke richardson
memphiscats

>>Hey Musicians - can you tell me what makes that slight tinkling sound at the beginning of the song - piano? It works so well to balance the guitars (or whatever the musical term is<<

Its vibraharp isn't it?

I love that song. I always imaging the jam it must have evolved from..Keith and Charlie..they get each others playing so well..

I've read that Mick and Keith pretty much wrote it on the spot after an all night coke binge...which might account for the crazy lyrics.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:49

duke richardson
memphiscats

Its vibraharp isn't it?

It's one song I'd dearly love to hear a demo or alt take of - perhaps the jamming leading up to nailing it. Wonder if it was ever recorded.
Let It Bleed is not the best served album for alt versions - we got a couple of different versions of Gimme Shelter, You Got The Silver with Mick on vocals, Country Honk with no fiddle. Hmmm, anything else? Never heard of a different studio version of Midnight Rambler.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home